Friday, August 1, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Friday, August 1, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by MarkBarrett »

Do contestants ever go 5/5 in those internet/text/slang/lingo/jargon categories? I managed three, but no way I could ever run it.

That was a great ending to the season and sure beats the Thomas-gate nonsense that overshadowed last year's final week.

Jeff: Way to go and congratulations. To play a tiebreaker for $20,800 and come through in the clutch was a fantastic way to take the title.

Cooper and Alan were worthy finalists and leave with very nice consolation hauls.

I'll enjoy my 50/60, 3DDs correct, 43K Coryat, FJ! solve and tiebreaker hit knowing it will be a long time to hit another game like that one.

The camera work did not allow viewers a chance to see if Alan was trying to ring in on the tiebreaker. Alan could have been stumped or Jeff could have already been in. Wish we had been given a two shot. Not that it matters as Jeff won no matter what.

As good as the accomplishment is it does not surpass Rani Peffer winning five games of regular play. No way would it be right for Jeff to make the TOC and Rani to have been eliminated tonight.

If Alex had announced that there would be a rule change to invite the Teen champs to the TOC and Jeff would come back for the one in 2016, then I would have no problem with it.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

MarkBarrett wrote:The camera work did not allow viewers a chance to see if Alan was trying to ring in on the tiebreaker. Alan could have been stumped or Jeff could have already been in. Wish we had been given a two shot. Not that it matters as Jeff won no matter what.
*nod* Could you tell if Alan was trying to ring in, Jeff?
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Shaymin wrote:Amazing performance by all three - I'm not sure there's ever been a tournament where both runners-up doubled the minimum before. Does this mean the teens get a raise next year?
I hope the *adults* get a raise! I've long been a proponent of the fact that $2000 for send and $1000 for third isn't nearly enough - even if (especially if) you still use the justification that "it is in lieu of paying for your transportation". I would say, depending on where you're coming from in the country, it might *just barely* do that (and doing some looking around briefly, for those like me coming *outside* the country, it might not). Plus, there are other expenses, etc. (and heaven help you if you don't get paid time off to go on J!) Plus, even if it is the same, it's an expense you have to eat for several months until you get your cheque. It might be an idea to change it so that second and third keep the cash too (it would change some wagering strategies, that's for sure) - and even if there's problems with that (I know that they used to have it, and why they changed it to what they have now), they could still give everyone a raise via another method (another doubling, including of second and third?)
plasticene wrote:I was rooting for Jeff, but it leaves a bad taste in my mouth that his win depended on getting credit for Minuch (Munich) and Çuidad (Ciudad). All three players deserve congratulations, though. They rose to the top of an outstanding field and put on a great show in the finale.
I think his mispronunciations of those two have to do with his accent / speech impediment (not sure which) - as a fellow member of the speech impediment / weird sounding voice club, I always give my fellow club mates leeway in this, and I'm pleased to see the judges do too.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

MarkBarrett wrote:The camera work did not allow viewers a chance to see if Alan was trying to ring in on the tiebreaker. Alan could have been stumped or Jeff could have already been in. Wish we had been given a two shot. Not that it matters as Jeff won no matter what.
I might be remembering wrong, but I thought that Alan could clearly be seen when the camera zoomed to Jeff ringing in. It didn't appear that Alan was trying to buzz, but he could have been good about holding the buzzer still.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I thought Apolo Ohno was way, way, way undervalued at $200. Waaaaaaaaaaaaay undervalued.

Eon/Era was a terrible negbait IMO, since both are three-letter words with two vowels.

I assume "irregular heartbeat" works when they wanted arrythmia?

"Gospel" was a stupid miss of mine. Overthought it and cycled through about eight synonyms — praise music, worship music, religious, Christian?

Instaget FJ! Remembered a Collierville in TN to get the tiebreaker too.

Jeff was my rooting choice, so I was glad to see him win.
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

doihavetoreally wrote:Great game. I thought on a tough FJ...Cooper could sneak a win with sole get. Easy FJ. Kudos on all in wager.
Congrats Jeff.
He also could have won on TS or sole get if he'd bet nothing. It makes for an interesting choice. Any bet he makes is really no-risk since the min is $15k, but what's the best way to a bigger payout? Which outcome to win would you think more likely, a TS or a sole get by you? Or do you simply wager to max your own score and let the chips fall where they may?
OCSam
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

TenPoundHammer wrote:I thought Apolo Ohno was way, way, way undervalued at $200. Waaaaaaaaaaaaay undervalued.
It's a new month, so I can have another.

How in the world are you the one to judge? Your sports knowledge is not strong, so you would have no idea which athletes are proper for the first box. Especially speed skaters. Ohno is a very famous and popular Olympian. He won DWTS. He has recently hosted Minute to Win It. The clue was responded to correctly with more than one of the teens going for it.

It does not matter that the title of the work My Journey could have been thousands of people. First box short track speed skating = Apolo Anton Ohno
whatisbishkek

Post by whatisbishkek »

OrangeSAM wrote:
doihavetoreally wrote:Great game. I thought on a tough FJ...Cooper could sneak a win with sole get. Easy FJ. Kudos on all in wager.
Congrats Jeff.
He also could have won on TS or sole get if he'd bet nothing. It makes for an interesting choice. Any bet he makes is really no-risk since the min is $15k, but what's the best way to a bigger payout? Which outcome to win would you think more likely, a TS or a sole get by you? Or do you simply wager to max your own score and let the chips fall where they may?
Nah, he only had $200 carrying over from the previous day and needed at least $25,000 total if the other two missed FJ.
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

whatisbishkek wrote:
OrangeSAM wrote:
Congrats Jeff.
Nah, he only had $200 carrying over from the previous day and needed at least $25,000 total if the other two missed FJ.
Sorry, carried the wrong numbers over from game 1. Next time I'll check the Thurs thread first. :oops:
OCSam
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

MarkBarrett wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:I thought Apolo Ohno was way, way, way undervalued at $200. Waaaaaaaaaaaaay undervalued.

How in the world are you the one to judge? Your sports knowledge is not strong, so you would have no idea which athletes are proper for the first box. Especially speed skaters. Ohno is a very famous and popular Olympian. He won DWTS. He has recently hosted Minute to Win It. The clue was responded to correctly with more than one of the teens going for it.

It does not matter that the title of the work My Journey could have been thousands of people. First box short track speed skating = Apolo Anton Ohno
Yes, but his olympic career ended several years ago, and at first glance at his article, I didn't see anything particularly noteworthy after that. All kinds of Z-listers participate on DWTS, so I don't hold that as a high bar of notability.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Eon/Era was a terrible negbait IMO, since both are three-letter words with two vowels.
Yeah, that was a horrible clue.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

MarkBarrett wrote:It does not matter that the title of the work My Journey could have been thousands of people. First box short track speed skating = Apolo Anton Ohno
Unless you're old, like me, and blurt out Eric Heiden (I know he's long track, but did the clue state short?). :oops:
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

econgator wrote:
They reposted the ending on FB. It doesn't appear that Alan tried to ring in.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

econgator wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:Eon/Era was a terrible negbait IMO, since both are three-letter words with two vowels.
It asked for the 'longest geological period.' That's eon, unquestionably.
Negbaity, perhaps, but not horrible.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Mathew5000

Post by Mathew5000 »

econgator wrote:
I thought it was a good bottom-row clue. "The last class of the day seems to last this long, the longest division of geologic time." The writers clearly knew that someone might say "era", but it fits neither clause of the clue.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Volante wrote:
econgator wrote:
It was a horrible clue for teens, especially when two words fit the category.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

econgator wrote:
Volante wrote:
econgator wrote:
It was a horrible clue for teens, especially when two words fit the category.
Why is it horrible? We shouldn't expect teens to know the difference between 'era' and 'eon'? "Hey, just name a geologic term with two vowels. Don't actually -know- the answer."?

The danger of Pavloving, right there.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

econgator wrote:
econgator wrote:
They reposted the ending on FB. It doesn't appear that Alan tried to ring in.
Yes, rewatching it does make it look it look like Alan was inactive and there was indeed a shot showing the guys together. There still seems to be enough of a gap between the end of the clue and the cut to the players where the change may not have happened in time. When Alan is seen his finger is not in a ready position.

Even if the clue was a stumper he should have had his finger prepared to ring in. To me it's like there there is a part we don't see. Alan has already reacted to Jeff being in first and relaxed his grip. No big deal and does not matter. I just would have liked to have seen both going for it at the same time.

If instead Alan was unprepared for how quick it went from category to clue to buzzers armed then once again good for Jeff.
WooWho?
Jeopardy! Almost-Champion

Post by WooWho? »

Holy cow. For sheer gameplay value, that was easily the best Teen Tournament I've ever seen. All fifteen contestants were truly stellar, and I do hope we see at least one of them on another quiz show in the not-too-distant future. These kids are gonna go on to do great things, I can already tell.

Jeff, many congratulations on your well-deserved championship! And really, congratulations to all the contestants for what I think is the best Teen Tournament I've seen in a long time. We're going to be talking about this one for a long time, I think.

You know what I'd pay good money to see? A 4-player rematch between Jeff, Cooper, Alan, and Joe. Can Super Jeopardy! come back?
アタックチャンス!
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:

Yes, but his olympic career ended several years ago, and at first glance at his article, I didn't see anything particularly noteworthy after that. All kinds of Z-listers participate on DWTS, so I don't hold that as a high bar of notability.
If they clue had been 2nd box or 3rd box that would have been fine by me as well. I get that all of us here can have different opinions about clue valuing. It was your overreaction I took as too much. I hear you on DWTS, but it's a staple for all current quiz shows. He not only won, but participated in All Stars. Ohno is not an Olympic star who has left the radar since his Winter Games feats.

Now if the writers had put Shani Davis in the first box....

econgator: Ah, the Eric Heiden track, ouch. 2014 teen tournament was the remedy not to got back to Lake Placid. I looked at the clue again to get the wording

"A Journey" (Maybe a short one on a speed skating track)

You're right that it does not specifically spell out short track speed skating.