The Board is Moving!

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

alietr
Site Admin

The Board is Moving!

Post by alietr »

Thanks to the efforts of bpmod, JBoard will be moving to a new hosting site next Sunday, November 27th at 7AM EST. JBoard will be down and unavailable at that time in order to make the move. It should take less than an hour if all goes well, which I am anticipating being the case. The move is being made to bring the board to a friendlier hosting service, having better control over the environment the board operates in, as well as making the board faster. While the speed at GoDaddy (where it currently resides) hasn't been too bad, there have been some hiccups, and it should be improved at our new location. It will be residing on the same server as the Archive, and there may be some good things coming out of that.

One consequence of the move is the ability to rectify a mistake I made early on in the creation of JBoard since I was young and naive. OK, truth be told, I didn't know what the heck I was doing and I was just trying to make it work. If you look at the URL to get to JBoard, the actual software resides a few levels deep (http://www.JBoard.tv/jboard/phpBB3). I'm told by our resident SEO expert that this is a bad idea. As a result, I will be getting rid of the 'splash' screen that comes up when you go to JBoard.tv, and instead the Board Index page will be at the top level, similar to WWTBAMBored. The upshot is that YOU WILL NEED TO CHANGE YOUR BOOKMARK FOR JBOARD ONCE WE MAKE THE CHANGE. Does everyone get that? I know everyone here is quite intelligent, but I'll repeat: YOU WILL NEED TO CHANGE YOUR BOOKMARK FOR JBOARD ONCE WE MAKE THE CHANGE.

Finally, in order to help defray bpmod's hosting costs, I will continue to request that people nominate themselves to be JBoarder of the month, with the fee going to bpmod instead of GoDaddy.

Thanks everyone for your Jparticipation, and hopefully this move will not cause any issues. Comments, concerns, and other feedback are, of course, welcome. Feel free to reply below.

-- Andy
harrumph
Voyeur

Re: The Board is Moving!

Post by harrumph »

Will the new board have the threads that have been created here, will we still have our nics, etc
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

harrumph wrote:Will the new board have the threads that have been created here, will we still have our nics, etc
It's not really a new board, just a new host. We'll not really notice that anything has happened.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

econgator wrote:
harrumph wrote:Will the new board have the threads that have been created here, will we still have our nics, etc
It's not really a new board, just a new host. We'll not really notice that anything has happened.
Correct. We do not anticipate anything being different, other than what alietr has mentioned.

All posts, post counts, avatars, usernames, passwords, friend & foe lists, etc. will be moved over to the new place intact.

Thanks

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

econgator wrote:... just a new host. We'll not really notice that anything has happened.
Sounds like a plot from the Twilight Zone.
OCSam
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

OrangeSAM wrote:
econgator wrote:... just a new host. We'll not really notice that anything has happened.
Sounds like a plot from the Twilight Zone.
Uh-oh, he's on to us!
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
SkoolRN
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by SkoolRN »

Thanks so much for all the time and effort you've put in on our behalf.
"Lefthanders have more enthusiasm for life. They sleep on the wrong side of the bed and their head gets more stagnant on that side."
Casey Stengel.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Big-ups to Brian and Andy for all the great work on behalf of the J! community. While Sony uses what must be hundreds of thousands of dollars of TV ad time promoting their vaporware board, Andy has worked to build a vibrant community that we can rely on, and Brian's hosting contribution (and the contributions of all the J! Boarders of the Month) will help it stay that way. This is great news all around.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

So I didn't imagine a TV commercial advertising the message board at jeopardy.com? I meant to rewind and check it out, but I was too busy writing code to automate the daily recap threads.

In all seriousness, thanks to Andy for making this board happen when Sony left us fans in a lurch. Thanks Robert for making the j-archive a phenomenal tool for contestants and fans alike.

And thanks for letting me be a part of both projects.

(Oh, and I found my old avatar, just in time for the journey!)

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

We're moving? I just got done hanging all my pictures and painted the kitchen.
joepozz
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by joepozz »

bpmod wrote:So I didn't imagine a TV commercial advertising the message board at jeopardy.com? I meant to rewind and check it out, but I was too busy writing code to automate the daily recap threads.

In all seriousness, thanks to Andy for making this board happen when Sony left us fans in a lurch. Thanks Robert for making the j-archive a phenomenal tool for contestants and fans alike.

And thanks for letting me be a part of both projects.

(Oh, and I found my old avatar, just in time for the journey!)

Brian
No, you didn't imagine it. They did run a spot advertising the Boards at jeopardy.com. But then again, they're also running the spot where Alex says that he never gets to sit down while the show is being taped.
jpahk
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by jpahk »

i'm glad we're moving. the current host is awfully slow to load pages. thanks to andy and the gang for maintaining the site!
Peggles
Grand Exalted Queen of the Universe

Post by Peggles »

Will we have to change our bookmarks once we make the change? :lol:

Has anyone called dibs on December's rent? If not, I do.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Peggles wrote:Has anyone called dibs on December's rent? If not, I do.
Oh, good going. Now your signalling device is locked out for ringing in too early.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Peggles wrote:Will we have to change our bookmarks once we make the change? :lol:

I had earlier made the offer to Andy. I'm by no means insistent, though. :D
Peggles
Grand Exalted Queen of the Universe

Post by Peggles »

Woof wrote:
Peggles wrote:Will we have to change our bookmarks once we make the change? :lol:

I had earlier made the offer to Andy. I'm by no means insistent, though. :D
If it's okay with Andy, you can do December and I'll take January. Andy, what say you?
legendneverdies
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by legendneverdies »

As of 8:30AM EST today, has this site moved to its new digs? I got asked to put in my username and password which I didn't have to do last night, so I suppose the site has moved by now.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Actually, the username and password you were asked for was not your usual sign-in credentials. We had password protected the entire site so that we could make sure that nothing needed to be fixed after the move. You got here just before the password was removed.

The site was fully moved and resolving to its new IP address at precisely 8:04am. We spent the next half-hour or so checking to make sure everything (that we could think of) was working correctly.

If anybody sees anything wonky or out of the ordinary, other than the obviously different path and landing page, let me know.

Thanks

Brian

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Might be a little late now, but can you maybe put something at the old address that informs visitors to update their bookmarks?
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

I'd been meaning to do that as well (it was actually one of the things on my todo list when I started planning the move). I'll try to get on it shortly.

Brian