TD 204: Vote for Pedro: Flashback to 2004 - Revised Final Standings

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

dnbguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

TD 204: Vote for Pedro: Flashback to 2004 - Revised Final Standings

Post by dnbguy »

Welcome to TD 204! In this TD we are going to be turning the clock back 10 years to 2004. How well to you remember everything that happened that year? We are about to find out!

First, the rules:

1. The object of this game is to come up with the least popular answer for each question.

2. The winner of this TD will be the person with the lowest combined total at the end.

3. All answers MUST be sent to me by PM (NO POSTING IN THE THREAD) by Monday, August 18th at 6:00 AM EDT.

4. Scoring:
a) For each correct answer, you will receive an amount of points equal to the number of people who gave that same answer.
b) For each incorrect answer, you will receive an amount of points equal to the SHEEP score (highest scoring correct answer) plus the square root of the total number of players in the game, rounded down. For example, if there are 40 entrants in this TD, incorrect answers will be worth SHEEP + 6; if there are 50 entrants, incorrect answers will be worth SHEEP + 7.

5. Throughout the game, you may use up to two bonuses:
a) You may do whatever you feel like you wanna do, gosh, and DROP one question. That question will be worth 0 points.
b) You may declare that you are trapped in a GLASS CASE OF EMOTION on one question. If you use this option, you will be awarded the SHEEP score.

6. As always, NO CHEATING! All answers should come from your brain. Don't do any intentional outside research.

7. Ties will be broken by submission order.

8. You are free to change your answers at any time before the final deadline, so long as you have not looked up the answer. However, your submission time will be set to the time of your most recent update.

9. I want to give you credit for correct answers, so I lean towards being lenient in accepting answers, but try and be precise!

10. There are two bonus questions. These questions give you an additional opportunity to lower the score. There is no penalty for incorrect answers on the bonus questions.

Good luck everyone!
Last edited by dnbguy on Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
dnbguy

Re: TD 204: Vote for Pedro: Flashback to 2004

Post by dnbguy »

1) The Iowa caucus was held on January 19th, followed shortly thereafter by the New Hampshire primary on January 27th. Name one of the 10 Democrats who ran for their party's presidential nomination in 2004. NOTE: since there are lots of fringe candidates, for the purposes of this question, only consider candidates that participated in a Democratic National Committee sanctioned debate.

2) On February 4, Mark Zuckerberg launched http://www.thefacebook.com, a website that allowed students at his college to connect with each other. It became popular immediately, prompting Zuckerberg to open Thefacebook to students at other universities. Name one of the first 20 colleges/universities Thefacebook was opened to. NOTE: Order is determined based on the schema Facebook initially used to generate user IDs.

3) On May 1st, membership in the European Union grew from 15 countries to 25. Name one of the 10 countries, mostly from Eastern Europe, that acceeded to the EU on this day.

4) The G8 summit, held in Georgia from June 8-10, brought heads of government from eight of the world's biggest economies together. Name one of the 8 heads of government who attended the G8 summit.

5) Name one of the 11 movies released during 2004 that grossed over $150 million at the US domestic box office. As a hint, these 11 movies include:

* An animated sequel
* An animated movie based on a children's book
* An animated original movies (2x)
* A live action movie followed by a sequel
* The second movie in a live action series (3x)
* The third movie in a live action series
* An original live action movie
* A foreign-language movie

The 12th highest grossing movie of 2004 was I, Robot, which grossed $144.8 million.

6) On October 27th, the Boston Red Sox won the World Series for the first time since 1918. Name either a) anyone who played at least one game for the Red Sox during the 2004 season, OR b) one of the three teams the Red Sox defeated in the playoffs.

For questions 7 - 11, you must identify the letter of your response along with your answer.

7) This upcoming Wednesday (in 2014) marks the 10th anniversary of the Opening Ceremony 2004 Summer Olympics, held in Athens. 10,000+ athletes from 201 countries competed as the Olympics returned to their original home for the first time since 1896. Below are the medal results for ten Olympic events. Select one, and identify the sport for which the medals were won. NOTE: You do *not* have to give the specific event, only the sport. For example, if I asked a question about the Winter Olympics, the answer I would be looking for is "skiing", not "women's Super-G".
Spoiler
A) Gold: Justine Henin-Hardenne (BEL), Silver: Amelie Mauresmo (FRA), Bronze: Alicia Molik (AUS)
B) Gold: Michael Phelps (USA), Silver: Ryan Lochte (USA), Bronze: George Bovell (TRI)
C) Gold: Argentina (feat. Manu Ginobli), Silver: Italy (feat. Gianmarco Pozzecco), Bronze: USA (feat. Allen Iverson)
D) Gold: Kerri Walsh and Misty May (USA), Silver: Shelda Bede and Adriana Behard (BRA), Bronze: Holly McPeak and Elaine Youngs (USA)
E) Gold: Justin Gatlin (USA), Silver: Francis Obikwelu (POR), Bronze: Maurice Greene (USA)
F) Gold: Paolo Bettini (ITA), Silver: Sergio Paulinho (POR), Bronze: Axel Merckx (BEL)
G) Gold: Carly Patterson (USA) , Silver: Svetlana Khorkina (RUS), Bronze: Zhang Nan (CHN)
H) Gold: USA (feat. Jennie Finch), Silver: Australia (feat. Sarah Farnworth), Bronze: Japan (feat. Yukiko Ueno)
I) Gold: Khasan Baroyev (RUS), Silver: Georgiy Tsurtsumia (KAZ), Bronze: Rulon Gardner (USA)
J) Gold: Cuba (feat. Adiel Palma), Silver: Australia (feat. Ryan Rowland-Smith), Bronze: Japan (feat. Koji Uehara)
8) Listed below are three main cast members from 11 different TV shows, all of which premiered during 2004. Identify one of these 11 shows.
Spoiler
a) Edward James Olmos, Mary McDonnell, Katee Sackhoff
b) James Spader, William Shatner, Candice Bergen
c) Gary Sinise, Melina Kanakaredes, Hill Harper
d) Teri Hatcher, Felicity Huffman, Marcia Cross
e) Rob Lowe, Sarah Lancaster, Joe Pantoliano
f) John Goodman, Cheryl Hines, Orlando Jones
g) Hugh Laurie, Omar Epps, Robert Sean Leonard
h) Matt LeBlanc, Drea de Matteo, Jennifer Coolidge
i) Matthew Fox, Evangeline Lilly, Terry O'Quinn
j) Brooke Burns, Amanda Righetti, James Remar
k) Kristen Bell, Percy Daggs III, Jason Dohring
9) Based on the lyrics, identify one of the 12 songs below, each of which appeared on Billboard's 2004 Year-End Hot 100 singles list.
Spoiler
a) "She's saying "Come get me! Come get me", / So I got up and followed her to the floor, she said 'Baby, let's go'"
b) "And her heart is breaking in front of me / I have no choice cause I won't say goodbye anymore"
c) "I'm not a perfect person / There's many things I wish I didn't do"
d) "We get together / Oh, we get together / But separate's always better when there's feelings involved"
e) "When you cried I'd wipe away all of your tears / When you'd scream I'd fight away all of your fears"
f) "I will go down with this ship / And I won't put my hands up and surrender"
g) "I know you want it, / The thing that makes me, / What the guys go crazy for."
h) "Too high / Can't come down / Losing my head / Spinning 'round and 'round"
i) "You were everything, everything that I wanted (that I wanted) / We were meant to be, supposed to be but we lost it (we lost it)"
j) "So 1, 2, 3, take my hand and come with me / Because you look so fine / And I really wanna make you mine."
k) "In this context, there's no disrespect / So when I bust my rhyme, you break your necks."
l) "Well, I ain't never been the Barbie doll type / No, I can't swig that sweet Champagne, I'd rather drink beer all night"
10) Identify one of the following 12 people who passed away during 2004.
Spoiler
a) Actor who portrayed Nathan Lee Morgan in Sounder, as well as Captain Clark Terrell in Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan
b) Actor who portrayed Batiatus in Spartacus, as well as Arthur Simon Simpson in Topkapi
c) Founder of her own cosmetics company, 2004 recipient of Presidential Medal of Freedom
d) Actor who portrayed Felix Unger in The Odd Couple
e) 40th President of the United States
f) Singer, best known for performing "Georgia on my Mind"
g) Actor who portrayed Vito Corleone in The Godfather
h) Chef and television personality whose kitchen is currently on display at the Smithsonian
i) Actress known for portraying Marion Crane in Psycho
j) Comedian known for getting "no respect"
k) Actor who portrayed Superman in four movies
l) Actor who voiced Lumiere in Beauty and the Beast, and portrayed Detective Lennie Briscoe on Law and Order
11) Last but not least, since this is a Jeopardy board, we must pay tribute to Ken Jennings and his amazing 74 game winning streak. Listed below are 14 Final Jeopardy clues which Ken Jennings missed. Give the correct answer (*in the form of a question*) to one of these clues.
Spoiler
a) WORD ORIGINS: This somewhat negative term arose because twisting fibers into thread was mainly a woman's job.
b) UNITED NATIONS HISTORY: In 1960 this new national leader made the longest speech in United Nations history, 4 hours & 29 minutes
c) COMMUNICATIONS: In the NATO phonetic alphabet (Alpha, Bravo, etc.), the 2 that are title Shakespearean characters
d) HISTORIC PARTNERSHIPS: The almost 4-decade collaboration of these 2 Germans began in Paris in 1844
e) FAMOUS AMERICANS: In 1826 Daniel Webster eulogized these 2 men, saying, "They took their flight together to the world of spirits"
f) SPORTS HEROES: Born in January 1919, the month Teddy Roosevelt died, he was given the middle name Roosevelt
g) WAR MOVIES: A controversial 1979 war film was based on a 1902 work by this author
h) BRITISH MONARCHS: Before Victoria & Elizabeth II, this was the last British monarch to reign during 2 different centuries
i) 2004: On Monday, December 13, 3 people designated these will meet in Cheyenne, Wyoming to help decide the world's future
j) MEN OF SCIENCE: "Somnium", an early work of science fiction, was written by this German & published posthumously in 1634
k) SEMIANNUAL PUBLICATIONS: It began in 1886 as an extension of an upper crust family's list of whose house they'd visit & who they'd receive
l) LITERATURE: In early drafts, the heroine of this novel was named Pansy & her family home was called Fontenoy Hall
m) 19th CENTURY U.S. HISTORY: Of the 5 times Congress has declared war, the 3 during the 19th century were against these 3 nations
n) BUSINESS & INDUSTRY: Most of this firm's 70,000 seasonal white-collar employees work only 4 months a year

BONUS 1: Britney Spears was married not once, but twice during 2004. Name her two husbands. (-1 point each, -2 points max)

BONUS 2: As mentioned before, one of the highest grossing movies of 2004 was a foreign-language film. Name one of the three languages dialogue was spoken in. (-2 points)
Last edited by dnbguy on Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.
dnbguy

Post by dnbguy »

Clarifications:

Rules Clarification: There is no penalty for incorrectly answering a bonus question.

8) d. The actress is Marcia Cross, not Maria Cross (thanks MarkBarrett!)

11) Make sure your response is in the form of a question!

BONUS 2) IMDb lists three languages for this movie; any one of the three is acceptable.
Last edited by dnbguy on Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:16 pm, edited 3 times in total.
dnbguy

Post by dnbguy »

Entrants:

jjwaymee
geolawyerman
Tpmorrison
CheezeWhiz
Kayanne
Vanya
mennoknight
ElendilPickle
DadOfTwins
DCrawshawJr

dhkendall
Binky
tjconn728
MarkBarrett
nightreign
gamawire
econgator
Aardvark
Shaymin
psgola

soxfan99
Christy
nestegg
d4z
Rackme32
Vermonter
hscer
Cat Hat
Bristle
Benkins

hbomb1947
Peachbox
Joy
Kingrat47
Alyssa
Magna
coolcah36
Lilac
esrever
Mathew5000

DPP
TheyCallMeMrKid
A drop of golden sun
Noon
nserven
clprez
Bamaman
Lumosityfan
Woppy T
Peggles

gem
CoachP
dott888
Turd Ferguson
jepkid97
Creed Bratton
Caboom
eboettch
Leander
RandyG

goforthetie
spell4yr
ihavejeoprosy
JoshuaRQI
debramc
hanzz
whatisbishkek
Tigershark
barandall800
Woof
Last edited by dnbguy on Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:33 am, edited 32 times in total.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Done. I couldn't even peg one of them from that year this time.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

MarkBarrett wrote:Done. I couldn't even peg one of them from that year this time.
Right there with you, Mark.
dnbguy

Post by dnbguy »

I have a few quick clarifications:

8) d. The actress is Marcia Cross, not Maria Cross (thanks MarkBarrett!)

11) Make sure your response is in the form of a question! I have received several entries that aren't, and I don't want to have to mark them automatically wrong! Remember you may resubmit up until the deadline next Monday morning.

BONUS 2) IMDb lists three languages for this movie; any one of the three is acceptable.

Keep the answers coming in!
soxfan99

Post by soxfan99 »

There has to be around 50 answers for Q6. All the Red Sox fans out there - can we please spread the love and not all end up picking the same player or team? Please??
hscer

Post by hscer »

Can you confirm there's no penalty for incorrect bonus answers? I don't see a note to either effect.
Now Completed: TD 224 - Airplane!
Coming Eventually: hscer's 3rd TD

Twitter: http://twitter.com/hscer
Sporcle: http://www.sporcle.com/user/hscer
dnbguy

Post by dnbguy »

hscer wrote:Can you confirm there's no penalty for incorrect bonus answers? I don't see a note to either effect.
There is no penalty for incorrect bonus answers, I will update the text above. Thanks for catching that!
dnbguy

Post by dnbguy »

Wednesday evening thread bump. We are up to 36 entrants so far, with ~107 hours until the deadline!
Noon
Contributor

Post by Noon »

I'm bumping dnbguy's wonderful TD up to the first page. Wow, at least 37 entries already! This is going to be exciting.
dnbguy

Post by dnbguy »

Thanks for the bump! Just under 72 hours to get your answers in. The preliminary scoring shows a close race - this is going to come down to the wire.
A drop of golden sun
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by A drop of golden sun »

I already started this game in the hole because I misremembered the 2004 Democrats' field and provided an incorrect answer. :-(
Aardvark
Contributor

Post by Aardvark »

A drop of golden sun: You can submit changes to your answers up until the deadline.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

Aardvark wrote:A drop of golden sun: You can submit changes to your answers up until the deadline.
What? You can change an answer after researching and finding out that your initial submission was incorrect? I don't think that's what that rule means.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

hbomb1947 wrote:
Aardvark wrote:A drop of golden sun: You can submit changes to your answers up until the deadline.
What? You can change an answer after researching and finding out that your initial submission was incorrect? I don't think that's what that rule means.
If the OP found out without researching it, it should be OK (there's the proviso that you can make a change "so long as you have not looked up the answer").
dnbguy

Post by dnbguy »

Magna wrote:
hbomb1947 wrote:
If the OP found out without researching it, it should be OK (there's the proviso that you can make a change "so long as you have not looked up the answer").
The most important factor here is intent. A few example scenarios:

A) After submitting his answers, Alan searches online to check if his answer for Question 4 was correct. He is saddened to discover that he submitted an incorrect answer. RULING: Since he has actively performed research, Alan cannot change his answer to that question.
B) Brittany's answer for Question 8 is one that she thinks will be the sheep. After submitting her answers, she searches the data source for Question 8, and finds a more obscure answer. RULING: Since she has actively performed research, Brittany cannot change her answer to that question.
C) In her sleep, Claire realizes that the answer she submitted to Question 11 is wrong. RULING: Since she has not actively performed research, Claire can change her answer to that question.
D) While watching the news, Devin hears about another potential answer for Question 5. RULING: Since he has not actively performed research, Devin can change his answer to that question.
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

You can learn it on the news.
You can learn it while you snooze.
But if you learn it 'cause you search,
In that case you are in the lurch.
TheyCallMeMrKid
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by TheyCallMeMrKid »

Magna wrote:You can learn it on the news.
You can learn it while you snooze.
But if you learn it 'cause you search,
In that case you are in the lurch.
:D Bravo!
Sheepin' it real.