TD 205: U.S. Roads

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

countyguy
Vacuously Undefeated on J!

TD 205: U.S. Roads

Post by countyguy »

I am posting this a little early so I can get it out of the way, but here we go!

Welcome to TD 205: U.S. Roads!

Sorry I forgot to specify earlier, but this is due Monday August 25, 2014 at 3:00 PM EDT.

Hopefully, this past summer, you all and your families have been travelling the country in the car, and you have paid attention to the roads you have traveled. If so, or even if not, good luck on this game! I have tried to make this game reasonably accessible to all.

Rules:

1. All answers must be sent by PM. (DON’T post in the thread)
2. The goal of this contest is to score as few points as possible.
3. If you get a question correct, your score equals the number of people who submitted your answer (all questions will have multiple answers). The most popular correct answer is called the “Sheep”. The second-most popular is called the “Goat”. If there are two or more correct answers tied for being most popular, then all of them are called the “Sheepgoats”, because that score is both the “Sheep” and the “Goat”.
4. If your answer is incorrect, you get the “Sheep” score plus the “Goat” score (or twice the “sheepgoat” score).
5. You can opt for the sheep score on up to three questions. For those questions, submit “SHEEP”.
6. Correctly answering a bonus reduces your score by one point.
7. No cheating!

Clarifications:
5. Unsigned three-digit routes that appear in highway logs but are not signed do not count for the purposes of this question. Also, three-digit routes that are near the interstates that they derive their last two digits from count for the purposes of this question, even if they do not connect.
9. Only Division 1 conferences that sponsor basketball count.
12. Rolling Stone updated their top 500 list in 2012 from their original 2003 list, but the top 20 stayed the same, so it does not matter for the purposes of this question.
B1: The state in question has all shields still as cutouts.
B2: The "#1" in question is BONUS #1.
B8-9: #3 and #4 refer to the main questions, and "contiguous" means "Lower 48".
Last edited by countyguy on Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:46 pm, edited 15 times in total.
countyguy

Re: TD 205: U.S. Roads (Questions now up)

Post by countyguy »

Questions:
1. How can we not start with the iconic Route 66? Although no longer considered a U.S. Highway, it is known as the “Main Street of America”, and, due to heavy use by tourists travelling west to a certain large Pacific city in the 1950s, it became ground zero for roadside attractions. Even fast food got its start on Route 66!

Name a state that Route 66 passed through. (8 answers)

2. The U.S. highway system crisscrosses throughout the country, going through all 48 contiguous states. It serves most of the United States, going many miles through rural areas. At one time, they were the main arterials across America.

Name a U.S. Highway, and a state it goes through. (Note that this question is extremely broad, but I have no idea how much boardies know about U.S. Highways and I wanted to make the question accessible to all.)

3. America is now crisscrossed by Interstate Highways, promoted by president Dwight D. Eisenhower and authorized by the Federal Aid Highway Act of 1956. They move considerably faster than U.S. Highways, so now people, who would prefer to minimize time wasted in the car so want to get to destinations as fast as possible, use Interstate Highways most of the time when they can. One- and two-digit interstates that run from east to west have even numbers, and ones that run from north to south have odd numbers. If their numbers end in “-5” or “-0”, then they are supposedly major cross-country routes. However, this rule is far from infallible, such as Interstate 45 simply going from Galveston, Texas, to Dallas. 42 states have at least one interstate with a number ending in “-5” that has a one- or two-digit number.

Name one of the eight states lacking any one- or two-digit interstates with a number ending in “-5”.

4. Only 37 states have at least one two-digit interstate ending in “-0. There are fewer in part because there is no I-50 or I-60.

Name one of the thirteen states lacking any two-digit interstates with a number ending in “-0”.

5. America has, in addition to the long thoroughfares that are one- and two-digit interstates, many three-digit interstates that are loops and spurs connecting to one- and two-digit interstates. All but one of these interstates shares its last two digits with connecting or nearby one- and two-digit interstates.

Name a one- or two-digit interstate that connects to or is near at least six three-digit interstates that it shares its last two digits with. (12 answers)

6. While the main thoroughfares ending in “-5” and “-0” leave some states in the dust, forcing their inhabitants to rely on smaller interstates and even U.S. highways, some states have a lot more, with intersections often in their cities, and others crossing other sections of the state. Some may just barely skirt the corner of the state, while others may go from one extreme of the state to the other.

Name a state in which at least three one-digit or two-digit interstates whose numbers are multiples of five pass through the state for at least 100 miles. (14 answers)

7. Several bodies are involved in the planning and authorization of Interstate and U.S. highways, including the American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials (AASHTO), Federal Highway Administration (FHWA), and, of course, Congress. It was AASHTO who came up with the numbering plan, which is described earlier. While the idea is for the longest routes in each direction to get numbers that are multiples of 5, it does not always work out that way. The system was developed over time, and additionally the designers of the system originally desired to avoid Interstate highways and U.S. highways with the same number running through the same area.

The shortest interstate whose number is a multiple of five is I-45. Name an interstate longer than I-45 whose number is not a multiple of 5. (21 answers)

Now, onto homonyms of the words "road" and "roads", and words with such syllables! (I know that these are lame, and some do not really qualify as homonyms.)

8. Rhodes

Name one of the eight islands in the Mediterranean Sea larger in area than Rhodes.

9. Rhode Island

The University of Rhode Island’s Rams play in NCAA Division I’s Atlantic 10 conference, one of the thirty-two NCAA Division 1 conferences that sponsor men’s basketball.

Name any conference in Division I of NCAA other than the Atlantic 10 that sponsors men's basketball.

10. Rhodesian Ridgeback

According to the American Kennel Club, the Rhodesian Ridgeback was the thirty-ninth most popular dog breed in the United States in 2013.

Name one of the fifteen most popular dog breeds in the United States in 2013.

11. "Rowed a Boat"

Rowing is a sport in the summer Olympic Games, a sporting event in which top athletes from all over the world in many different sports compete against each other every four years, and they are held in a different city every four years.

Name a city that has hosted at least one Olympic Games tournament in which rowing events were held. (21 answers)

12. Roadies

Given that roadies work for musicians, name a band or solo act that has at least one album in the top 20 of Rolling Stone’s list “500 Greatest Albums of All Time”. (14 answers)

Tiebreaker (Guesstimania Edition):

What is the total length, in miles, of the Interstate Highway System according to the current version of FHWA’s highway log? This includes three-digit routes and adjusts for overlapping routes.

Bonus:

I have ten (or nine) bonus questions, each worth one point, so if you really are a “roadgeek”, you can improve your score by an awful lot! If you don't know many answers here, do not fret, they are not easy!

1. In the early days of the U.S. highway system, all U.S. Highways in all states had the “shield” shape cut out. Now, in every contiguous state except for one, the shield is surrounded by a black square. However, one state retains the “cutout” shield. Name that state.
2. Name the common name for the Department of Transportation of the state that is the answer to BONUS #1.
3. If you include Hawaii interstates and Alaska “interstates”, only four state capitals are not served by interstates directly. Name any three.
4. What is the longest interstate in the country?
5. What is the shortest one- or two-digit interstate in the country?
6. What is the longest U.S. highway in the country?
7. A particular U.S. highway’s path across a particular state was nicknamed “The Loneliest Road in America” by Life magazine in a 1986 article. The aforementioned slogan can now be found along the aforementioned stretch of highway. Name the aforementioned U.S. highway and state.
8-9. For one bonus point each, name the two contiguous (Lower 48) states that are answers to both #3 and #4.
10. Finally speaking of homonyms, as before, which president was also a Rhodes scholar?
Last edited by countyguy on Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:49 pm, edited 9 times in total.
countyguy

Re: TD 205: U.S. Roads

Post by countyguy »

Entrants (45):
Creed Bratton
immaf
CheeseWhiz
gamawire
Cat Hat
A drop of golden sun
dhkendall
psgola
Rackme32
dott888
Alyssa
This is Kirk!
clprez
anotherclue
dnbguy
Vermonter
Coelacanth
geolawyerman
tjconn728
nightreign
TheyCallMeMrKid
jepkid97
BobF
Bamaman
MarkBarrett
Magna
Vanya
Peggles
Tigershark
JoshuaRQI
econgator
FireAntsDefense
Luminosityfan
whatisbishkek
goforthetie
hscer
spell4yr
barandall800
brainpower
ihavejeoprosy
debramc
RandyG
dklee12
coolcah36
CoachP
Last edited by countyguy on Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:06 pm, edited 9 times in total.
JoshuaRQI
Valued Contributor

Post by JoshuaRQI »

First post requesting a clarification goes here.
countyguy

Post by countyguy »

bump because questions are now up
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

Bonus questions 8 and 9 refer to two states that are answers to bonus questions 3 and 4. You meant 3 and 4 of the main questions, right? (Not 3 and 4 of the bonus questions.)
countyguy

Post by countyguy »

Magna wrote:Bonus questions 8 and 9 refer to two states that are answers to bonus questions 3 and 4. You meant 3 and 4 of the main questions, right? (Not 3 and 4 of the bonus questions.)
Yes.
RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Post by RandyG »

pmuB
gamawire
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by gamawire »

RandyG wrote:pmuB
Is a backwards bump like a left-handed compliment?
"It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing." -- Seneca
countyguy

Post by countyguy »

Bump

18 entries, 90 more hours, lots of singletons up for grabs, including some on every question!

EDIT: One of my entrants is highly suspicious in the cheating scandal, with a couple others mildly so, but I plan to do the reveal as normal.
A drop of golden sun
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by A drop of golden sun »

Clarification: no penalty for an incorrect answer to a bonus question, correct?
countyguy

Post by countyguy »

A drop of golden sun wrote:Clarification: no penalty for an incorrect answer to a bonus question, correct?
Correct. I would have said so if there was a penalty.
goforthetie
(username no longer operative)

Post by goforthetie »

countyguy wrote: Name a U.S. Highway, and a state it goes through. (Note that this question is extremely broad, but I have no idea how much boardies know about U.S. Highways and I wanted to make the question accessible to all.)
How are these answers going to be grouped? That is, would an answer of "Route 271828, Hawaii" be scored differently than an answer of "Route 271828, Alaska"?
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

Question 5, are you looking for 6 unique numbers?
Peggles
Grand Exalted Queen of the Universe

Post by Peggles »

Lots of guesses for me on this one. Fortunately for me, I've traveled to a couple of states where I learned or noticed something that helped me here - at least I hope so. :D

So glad that wrong answers on bonus questions don't hurt.
JoshuaRQI
Valued Contributor

Post by JoshuaRQI »

I'm having trouble understanding this question:
Name an Interstate longer than I-45, the shortest interstate whose number is a multiple of five, but whose number is not a multiple of 5. (21 answers)

Longer than I-45 in miles or that the number of the highway is larger than 45? e.g. I-46, I-47 etc are legal?

And how can an interstate have a number that is a multiple of 5 but isn't a multiple of 5?
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

JoshuaRQI wrote:I'm having trouble understanding this question:
Name an Interstate longer than I-45, the shortest interstate whose number is a multiple of five, but whose number is not a multiple of 5. (21 answers)

Longer than I-45 in miles or that the number of the highway is larger than 45? e.g. I-46, I-47 etc are legal?

And how can an interstate have a number that is a multiple of 5 but isn't a multiple of 5?
Try this: The shortest interstate whose number is a multiple of five is I-45. Name an interstate longer than I-45 whose number is not a multiple of 5.
countyguy

Post by countyguy »

OK I can replace the text of #7 with that. Thank you and good job clarifying.
countyguy

Post by countyguy »

goforthetie wrote:
countyguy wrote: Name a U.S. Highway, and a state it goes through. (Note that this question is extremely broad, but I have no idea how much boardies know about U.S. Highways and I wanted to make the question accessible to all.)
How are these answers going to be grouped? That is, would an answer of "Route 271828, Hawaii" be scored differently than an answer of "Route 271828, Alaska"?
They will be scored differently. Lots of different correct answers.
countyguy

Post by countyguy »

You have 24 hours left! I have 33 entrants now. Lots of singletons up for grabs! Can't wait to see your responses!