Tuesday, November 22, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

marpocky
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Tuesday, November 22, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by marpocky »

RJL wrote:I did shout "That's FRAHNK-en-steen!" when Peter (?) prounced the book's title correctly.
Heh, I thought of you during that.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

alietr wrote:Boy, you escaped with that one, Francis.

Me? I had the $2, but threw an extra $100 on there. Oops.
Strangely enough, so did I (I have a few US$2s in my "collection" (really, just any interesting money I come across, nothing overly impressive) so didn't forget them).

I actually had a higher number, though, adding up 1+2+5+10+20+50+100 - I knew there were non presidents on there (remembered Benjamin Franklin, and was sure there was another but couldn't remember who), but to this day I have problems remembering who is on what, so I just left it at that, knowing I at least attempted an answer. (Yes, I should have remembered the song "It's All About the Benjamins", as Weird Al's parody "It's All About the Pentiums" is one of my favourite Weird Al songs). I'm wondering if US money comes up often enough that it's something that I should study who is on what bill for the test and/or the Show? (I'm thinking, with the vast number of American contestants, that they might not ask a lot of as it's something that borders on "common knowledge" south of the 49th)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Its not something you see often but it is something I'd suggest you learn if you get the call. Its a pretty short list so it would be easy to make a category out of. Don't forget the defunct bills and who is on them.

It is also likely something not known by everyone so if you are lucky enough to be the one out of three who knows them cold, its an easy category run.
code65536
Contributor

Post by code65536 »

Paucle wrote:Understood. I just wasn't sure if the "new" $2 bills were still issued, or if they'd also been discontinued again. Technically, you can still get a William, Grover, or James. Just not from any bank.
Wow, just saw the clue again- is "circulating" really the phrasing, verbatim? Yikes. That might've created a problem had someone offered $6,778 as an answer. Those larger values are still in circulation, still legal tender, just not issued anymore.If you owe someone 500, you can still use a McKinley to clear the debt. Of course, it'd be far more beneficial to sell the note to a collector and keep the extra, which could be as much as the debt itself.
Yea, I really hated today's FJ because of the vagueness of the wording. "Circulating" is not a well-defined term. As you noted, those old retired bills are still legal tender. And $2 bills are not printed regularly like other bills (none have been printed for five years).
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I think if any bills bigger than $100 make it to a bank, they are supposed to send it to the Treasury Department and they shred it.

I had to cash a check for $10 recently at a bank and asked if I could get it in twos. She said she didn't have any in her drawer and didn't make an effort to see if there were any in the bank, didn't even ask the teller sitting next to her.

I'd like to get my hands on a bunch of them and then use them whenever I buy something, just to get them floating around.
RobotJepLady
Valued Contributor

Post by RobotJepLady »

dhkendall wrote: I'm wondering if US money comes up often enough that it's something that I should study who is on what bill for the test and/or the Show? (I'm thinking, with the vast number of American contestants, that they might not ask a lot of as it's something that borders on "common knowledge" south of the 49th)
Here's a nice, fast resource for you to take a look at:

http://library.thinkquest.org/TQ0312172/numis.html.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Paucle wrote:Wow, just saw the clue again- is "circulating" really the phrasing, verbatim? Yikes. That might've created a problem had someone offered $6,778 as an answer. Those larger values are still in circulation, still legal tender, just not issued anymore.
According to the BEP, no bill higher than a $100 is in circulation, so I'd say that J! has a valid source:

http://www.moneyfactory.gov/faqlibrary.html (scroll down about half-way)
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

U.S. Money Math is a bet big for me. If it's State Quarters then it's the opposite. I wrote $78 and checked my math one more time before being done. Checking the bills again for those to include/exclude was not necessary. A wording that worked in McKinley, Cleveland, Madison (Wilson or Chase as well) would have been fine by me.

Was not there some charity (perhaps Salvation Army) that for years had someone drop a Cleveland in the bucket every year?

I'll admit it. I tried Peter's one hand clap thing after his story.

DWTS was 2/5 for me. Blanking on Hines Ward's name threw me off so much I had a mental stumble on Nicole's last name and then had Brooke Burns pop in when I knew I needed a different last name. Frustrating even though I don't watch the show.

The $4000 by Francis on the last DD was not optimal. Was he including the hope of hitting the final $2000 clue. If he had missed he would have knocked himself into third or tied for second at best. As it was he was vulnerable to either player betting low and winning on a TS clue. Francis had a nice solve with the Germany get.
andreaborn
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by andreaborn »

alietr wrote:Me? I had the $2, but threw an extra $100 on there. Oops.
At least I'm in good company!
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Meant to also add a few things:

My 7 year old son loves Cars 2 - we saw it recently and he was excited for the clue (Finn McMissile is his favourite character from the movie), he got it (although I did pause the playback for him, wasn't holding him to the same strict rules I hold myself) and he was pleased to see Francis get it too!

Also, judges, please: A Dangerous Thing $400: given was "logger", is "lumberjack" OK? (Monty Python ref not intentional)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Turd Ferguson
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Turd Ferguson »

billy pilgrim wrote:I'm guessing that today's contestants would have been wise to figure out the air date for the game, and know some things about a famous event that happened on this date.
They were supposed to figure out that it was the night of the Dancing With The Stars Finale, and study accordingly? That would've paid off nicely! I actually did know them, except Brooke Burke, all without actually having watched any of them on the show. I didn't realize she's now hosting the show, and "She's got the look" made me think of Roxette, which completely confused me. (I see now it's the name of a reality show I've never heard of)

I assume you're actually talking about the JFK assassination. Since I knew my airdate would be the week of Nov. 22nd last year, I did study JFK, though the only mention of him came when he was the answer to a FJ! about Presidents (which ended up being a costly miss, fatefully, for a man named Kennedy). A Thanksgiving category or two coming up this week, though, is pretty much a given.

As a Canadian, people and objects on US coins and bills was also on my "must learn" list, though I've forgotten much of that by now, so I was sort of at a loss on tonight's FJ! I can't remember much more than Washington on the $1, "Peter Gammons" on the $20, and "It's all about the Benjamins" and "It's all about the Hamiltons" (from Lazy Sunday) for the $100 and $10.

It was a well played game, fun to watch, nice to see all three players accumulate good pre-FJ! totals with the game in doubt going into FJ! Too bad things had to go a bit awry with misses and questionable wagering. Oh well.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Re: Tuesday, November 22, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS

Post by seaborgium »

I sort of idly thought during the commercial, "Maybe they'll ask them to add up the paper presidents." If someone had precalled that on stage, it would have been a hoot if that person then decided to wager $78.

U.S. money math proved a double downfall for both challengers.
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

I count down the money drawers in a retail store six days a week, and I see a $2 bill about once a month.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

dhkendall wrote:Also, judges, please: A Dangerous Thing $400: given was "logger", is "lumberjack" OK? (Monty Python ref not intentional)
I said the same thing and counted it. Can't conceive of a difference between the two.
andreaborn wrote:At least I'm in good company!
Well, you have company. Not sure about the good part.

My Old Spice deodorant has a slogan on it, "If your grandfather hadn't used it, you might not be here today". I'm going to adapt that to, "If Peter had read JBoard (or its predecessor), he would be Jeopardy champion today". This phrasing can be adapted for anyone who wagers poorly and loses as a result. So, as a reminder to anyone who comes stumbling in here, DON'T WAGER EVERYTHING FROM THIRD PLACE (Certain restrictions apply. Not valid in Canada. Cash value 1/20 cent. Do not attempt this at home). Or at least learn the basics of wagering. It's an important part of the game.
Roadgeek Adam
TOC Geek

Post by Roadgeek Adam »

I got $78 considering I understood it as All Inclusive. Also, am I the only one who felt Jack LaLanne was overvalued?
Adam Seth Moss
DoorDasher (since May 7, 2020)
M.A. History, Western Illinois Univ, 2017
B.A. History (minors in PoliSci & PubAdm), Montclair State Univ, 2015
A.A. History & Education, Middlesex County Coll., 2013
legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

jeff6286 wrote:. I stupidly went the wrong direction, and I don't even really know why. I thought maybe the trick they were trying to pull was getting people to incorrectly include the $2 bill, rather than incorrectly exclude it. Stupid me.

Wayne Brady offered $500 for it in a quickie deal on LMAD recently, so it must still be kicking around somewhere(MOnty offered $500 for it on quickie deals in the 80s)
legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

Paucle wrote:Understood. I just wasn't sure if the "new" $2 bills were still issued, or if they'd also been discontinued again. Technically, you can still get a William, Grover, or James. .
$500 and $1000 bills hadn't been printed since 1969, but Monty would show them on camera on LMAD through the mid 80s. In one deal in the 70s, a $5000 prize was offered in one deal, and Monty showed a $5000 bill on camera, but it was encased in plastic, and MOnty said they had to get special permission to show it on the air.
earendel

Post by earendel »

Paucle wrote:BTW, I was afraid FJ was going to be a Visual FJ with Patricia Heaton offering the clue...
http://www.collegehumor.com/video/55070 ... illionaire

ETA: anyone who loves math, have no sharp objects at hand while viewing
I was at the taping of this painful episode. You can catch a glimpse of me over Regis' shoulder in a couple of shots. What got shown was nowhere near the full experience.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."
nagnasnalf

Post by nagnasnalf »

Last night's game was too close for comfort for me. Abby and Peter did an excellent job of battling back and not giving up. In hindsight, I should've bet more on the DDs, but a win is a win. I bet low on the 1st DD because I didn't want a repeat of last night's DD mistake. As for the 2nd DD, I was still playing it conservatively with the wager, but I also wanted to have a little bit of a cushion. I wanted to have a nice round number if I answered correctly, sot that's why I went for $4Gs. As for FJ, we weren't specifically told not to look in our wallets, but I imagine that if the contestant coordinators saw us looking in them, they'd probably say something. I had a few brain farts during the game, the biggest one being FJ, but hey, a win is a win.
Spaceman Spiff
One-and-done J! Champ (and proud of it!)

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

code65536 wrote:Yea, I really hated today's FJ because of the vagueness of the wording. "Circulating" is not a well-defined term. As you noted, those old retired bills are still legal tender. And $2 bills are not printed regularly like other bills (none have been printed for five years).
Although I agree it's rare to see them in normal change (about as rare as a dollar coin), Monticello normally gives them out in change for admissions, gift shop purchases, etc. Think of it as a form of product placement.

I, too, was wavering on if it was "circulating" or not, but because of Monticello (and the fact they do occassionally have to print new bills), I figured it counted.

Good game overall (though I winced at the DWTS category!). Ran the Cartoon Voices category, though I will argue that any such category that doesn't include at least one of the masters (Mel Blanc, Daws Butler, and June Foray) is bogus. :roll: