Superchampions/Nemeses

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Rex Kramer
Jeopardy! TOCer

Superchampions/Nemeses

Post by Rex Kramer »

I had originally planned not to start this thread, having reached my limit for blatant self-aggrandizement; but this morning I stumbled across my list of superchampions as of the end of Season 27, and figured that, now that the ToC is over, the interest/effort ratio with respect to updating was probably greater than 1. You can be the judge of that.

A few points of note since I last compiled this list:
- The apparent curse/statistical anomaly by which anyone who defeated a superchampion during the regular season was either doomed to lose the very next game or destined to become a superchampion himself has now evaporated. Of the 5 new regular season nemeses on this list, 3 (Marissa Goldsmith, Katie Proctor, and Tim Kresowik) became multi-game non-superchampions themselves.
- Mark Runsvold -- a noble 4-game winner -- has the unenviable distinction of being the only player ever to face only superchampions in the ToC. He beat two at once -- becoming only the second player to do so -- in his quarterfinal game, but could not overcome Roger Craig and Joon Pahk simultaneously in the semis.
- Roger Craig, of course, joins Dan Pawson as the 2nd superchampion with only one nemesis, being undefeated in tournament play.
- Mark and Roger also became the 3rd and 4th players to beat 2 different superchampions -- Mark in 1 game, Roger in 2. Vijay Balse remains the only player ever to have won 3 games against superchampions, and I remain the only player to have defeated 3 different superchampions.

The total number of superchampions + nemeses now stands at 40. Still not divisible by 3. Curses!
  • Superchampion..No. of Wins.....Regular Nemesis ......Tournament Nemeses

Ken Jennings....74.................Nancy Zerg.............Brad Rutter (UToC)
    David Madden...19.................Victoria Groce.........Bill MacDonald
    Dan Pawson.......9................ Kristen Welsh
    Tom Kavanaugh..8.................Kevin Marshall (6)......Bill MacDonald
    Tom Nissley.......8.................Marissa Goldsmith (3).Roger Craig
    Tom Walsh........7.................Steve Hall..............Russ Schumacher; Michael Rooney (UToC)
    Justin Bernbach...7.................Sara Doran.............Vijay Balse
    Joon Pahk.........7.................Katie Proctor (2)......Roger Craig
    Sean Ryan.........6.................Katie Durham.........Anne Boyd; Jerome Vered (UToC)
    Kevin Marshall.....6................John Stratford.........Bill MacDonald
    Larissa Kelly.......6.................Pat Roche.............Dan Pawson
    Jim Stevens........6................Scott Shive.............Aaron Schroeder
    Jason Zollinger.....6................Ted Ahern.............Vijay Balse (2x)
    Roger Craig........6................Jelisa Castrodale
    Christopher Short..6................Tim Kresowik(2)......Mark Runsvold
    Justin Sausville.....6................Amit Kurlekar.........Mark Runsvold; Tom Nissley
Rex

P.S. -- if anyone knows how to format this list with proper tabs, please let me know!
Last edited by Rex Kramer on Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:04 pm, edited 3 times in total.
jpahk
Jeopardy! TOCer

Re: Superchampions/Nemeses

Post by jpahk »

yeah, i was thinking about mark's unenviable ToC draw. there was some consternation here (and on twitter, facebook, etc) about roger & me being matched up in the SFs, but mark's draw was ridiculously tough in both rounds. all he did was finish in the top 10 in all-time earnings, and for his trouble he got matched up against two 6-time champs. he beat them both, and for that he was rewarded with a game against a 6- and a 7-time champ. that is just an insane draw for anybody. i'm also not convinced he shouldn't get credit for beating me (a 3rd notch on his superchamp belt) in the SFs, since he had a higher score going into the irrelevant FJ, and neither one of us made either a serious wager or a serious attempt to answer the clue.

also, have i mentioned yet how pleased i am that katie didn't lose (to put it mildly) in her first game after beating me?
marpocky
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by marpocky »

Apart from Ken, there are now 15 superchamps. I smell a ToSC!
heelsrule1988
Sports Jeopardy! Alum/VVL #19

Post by heelsrule1988 »

I keep thinking I made up the "superchampion" term... but I don't know for sure. Did I?