TD 206 - Leftovers (cheating account free)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

ihavejeoprosy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

TD 206 - Leftovers (cheating account free)

Post by ihavejeoprosy »

TD 206 - Leftovers

Hi everyone, welcome to TD 206 – Leftovers. I had a ton of fun doing the last TD on Seinfeld and set out to make another TD game shortly after. Problem is, I couldn’t finish one with a single theme. Each time I tried to start a new quiz, I couldn’t come up with more than 3 or four questions on one theme. Luckily, I had enough questions for a TD quiz after about 3 attempts. Here they are, the leftovers. The best questions from my quiz attempts that cover a range of fun subjects. As always, here are the rules adapted from many TDs before this one:

The Rules

1. Please send me your answers by private message (PM), but NOT ANYWHERE IN THE THREAD!

2. Please use the PM function for any questions and clarifications and I will post changes in the main thread if required. We don’t want to tip anyone about the answers do we?

3. The deadline for submission is 5:00 PM EST Monday, September 1, 2014

4. The object, as always, is to provide the least popular correct answer for each of the questions. If your answer is correct, your score on a question equals the number of people (including you) who gave your answer. The player with the least cumulative score wins.

5. If your answer is incorrect, your score will be the sheep score plus five. So guess away as wrong answers may not wreck you too badly.

6. You may drop one question by invoking the magical chant of “I’m full” Your score for that question will be zero.

7. If a question seems like sheepbait, you can just say, "I want it all" and take the sheep score. You may use this option only once.

8. This goes without saying, but answers must be provided out of the wealth of information that exists in your brain - no research! No cheating. However, if you are lucky enough to stumble onto an answer between when you read the question and when you submit your answers, it is fully acceptable to use that.

9. The first tiebreaker will be the score before the bonus questions, then the number of singletons, then doubletons, then submission order.

10. Entries sent in are considered final. Go over your submission before hitting send. Since im easily flustered with numbers, I won't be able to change answers once an entry is submitted.

Here we go. Please peruse the questions and have fun.
Last edited by ihavejeoprosy on Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:36 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Please follow me on Twitter @Cinjeopardy
Total game show losings: $25 K
ihavejeoprosy

Re: TD 206 - Leftovers

Post by ihavejeoprosy »

Leftovers TD - The best of the rest of the quizzes

From a quiz about the 3 Cs: cartoons, candy and comics….

1. Lets start off with a softball. Name a Hanna Barbera cartoon series where an anthropomorphic animal is the main character. (Clarification: The Flintstones would not count as Dino is not anthropomorphic and is not the main character. Keep that in mind when choosing an answer)

2. Name one of the top 10 most popular types of chocolate based candy given out at Halloween in the US. (Stats compiled in 2013)

3. Given the description, name me one of the comic strips being described (some opinions are purely my own). Give me the description of the strip or the number with your answer:
Spoiler
i. A poorly drawn, insecure, indecisive woman goes through life obsessing over every tiny decision
ii. A world where only kids can communicate in English and adults produce unintelligible garble
iii. A motley crew of a penguin, a diseased cat, some kids and others and their adventures that occur in the title administrative division
iv. A soldier that is seemingly never promoted is abused by his superiors at Camp Swampy
v. A surrealist one panel strip about life that for some reason features a lot of cows.
vi. An office cube worker experiences the corporate world and has rat, cat and dog versions of him
vii. A fat orange cat who loves pasta and hates Mondays
viii. A British drunkard who never seems to work and spends most of his time at the bar playing games like darts and snooker and fighting with his wife
ix. An annoying kid annoys his next door neighbor, which is where he gets his rhyming nickname from
x. The adventures of two African-American kids who move to the posh Chicago suburb of Woodcrest from the inner city
4. Name the superheroes given their identities. Important: Give me the superhero of your choosing alongside their identity
Spoiler
i. Clark kent
ii. Bruce Wayne
iii. Peter Parker
iv. Miles Morales
v. Prince Namor
vi. Logan / James Howlett
vii. Barry Allen
viii. Diana Prince
ix. Henry Pym
x. Albert Francis "Al" Simmons
xi. Aaron Arthur Curry

From a quiz about movies and TV…………

5. Since Keanu Reeves is one of my favorite actors in an absolutely nonironic sense, name one of his top 12 movies based on US box office receipts. (Hint: Be very specific if you’re choosing a movie that has a sequel.)

6. The show “Happy Days” went into a tailspin after the episode where the Fonz had to jump over a pool of sharks. Since then, “jumping the shark” has become synonymous with a moment when the quality of a TV show begins to decline. Name one of the shows from the given Jump the Shark moments.
Important: Give me your choice of show with your answer. Jump the sharks may be a tad subjective:
Spoiler
i. When Daphne Reed replaced Janet Hubert to play Aunt Vivian
ii. The appearance of the super soldiers
iii. When the Conner family wins the lottery
iv. When Chandler and Monica get married
v. The appearance of the smoke monster
vi. When comic book guy dated Skinner’s mom
vii. When season 9 was revealed to be Pam’s dream
viii. When Olivia (Raven Symone) joined the family
ix. When Michael Scott left Dunder Mifflin
x. When Brian was killed and brought back to life
xi. When cousin Oliver joined the cast
xii. When Paula Abdul and Simon Cowell left as the show’s judges
7. TV show hangouts. Given these hangouts/local joints that have been featured on various shows, name the TV show in question. Please include the name of the hangout with your answer:
Spoiler
i. Central Perk
ii. Café Nervosa
iii. Moes Tavern
iv. Warsaw Tavern
v. Melvilles Fine Sea Food
vi. The Peach Pit
vii. Boars Nest
viii. Monks Café
ix. The Drunken Clam
x. Paddys Pub

From a quiz about sports and games……

8. Name one of the top 12 15 selling board games on Amazon as of quiz publication. These are current top sellers that people are buying, not a list of historically best selling games. (Clarification: There are a couple of items on this list that I would not consider traditional board games, but they are acceptable answers)

9. Fantasy football season is almost upon us. Given the top 12 prospects according to ESPN’s fantasy division, name me the college one of these fantasy stars went to. Important: Give me the players name with your answer
Spoiler
1 Adrian Peterson, MIN
2 LeSean McCoy, PHI
3 Jamaal Charles, KC
4 Matt Forte, CHI
5 Eddie Lacy, GB
6 Peyton Manning, DEN
7 Calvin Johnson, DET
8 Demaryius Thomas, DEN
9 Jimmy Graham, NO
10 Montee Ball, DEN
11 Arian Foster, HOU
12 Dez Bryant, DAL

From a quiz about lowlights (lesser known facts, least populated countries, least valuable things etc.) ……….

10.Literary B sides. Everyone knows the names of the classics, but can you match name the authors (some more renowned than others) by their lesser known works Please give me the work and the author in your response:
Spoiler
i. Down and Out in Paris and London
ii. Following the Equator
iii. Digital Fortress
iv. The Castle in the Forest
v. In the Beauty of the Lillies
vi. The Defense
vii. Confessions of an Heiress: A Tongue-in-Chic Peek Behind the Pose
viii. Palo Alto: Stories
ix. Non-Violent Resistance (Satyagraha)
x. Paycheck
11. Name one of the 10 12 poorest countries by annual Per Capita Income (income per person) according to the IMF and world Bank

12. Name one of the ten least populated US state capitals measured in terms of municipal population.

Bonuses

Up to eight points at stake. No negative points for guessing, so guess away.

1. This is from a question I wasn’t able to incorporate. Excluding religious works and nonfiction, name me up to three of the 12 the most translated works of fiction. Ranking is based on the number of languages a work has been translated into according to wikipedia. (Some are collections, so collective names will be accepted)

2. Having binged on the Simpsons marathon this weekend, answer this trivia question for two points off your score.
What is the significance of Roger Meyers in the Simpsons universe?

3. For one point off each, name 3 of the top ten selling PC games of all time

Have fun guessing. Looking forward to your answers
Last edited by ihavejeoprosy on Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:17 pm, edited 8 times in total.
ihavejeoprosy

Post by ihavejeoprosy »

List of entrants - keep em coming

Tpmorrison
gamawire
geolawyerman
Peggles
countyguy

dnbguy
dhkendall
JoshuaRQI
Elendilpickle
Mark Barrett

Econgator
Rackme32
Brainpower
immaf
CheeseWhiz

Leander
psgola
Kingrat47
Vanya
cougarslav

Wheatley
TerrHeel
gsn93
mennoknight
A drop of golden sun

Creed Bratton
Woppy T
jjwaymee
dot888
tjconn728

BobF
Bamaman
clprez
CoachP
Magna

Peachbox
Powerofhoodoo
lieph82
Jeopardymom
goforthetie

jepkid97
whatisbishkek
Woof
spell4yr
debramc

barandall800
coolcah36
TheyCallMeMrKid
Last edited by ihavejeoprosy on Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:34 pm, edited 13 times in total.
ihavejeoprosy

Post by ihavejeoprosy »

Clarifications go here if required
Peggles
Grand Exalted Queen of the Universe

Re: TD 206 - Leftovers (questions are up)

Post by Peggles »

Is there a penalty for wrong answers in the bonus round ?
ihavejeoprosy

Post by ihavejeoprosy »

Peggles wrote:Is there a penalty for wrong answers in the bonus round ?
No penalties. I just changed it to say that.
countyguy
Vacuously Undefeated on J!

Post by countyguy »

I have no idea on most stuff related to TV, movies, or literature, but I submitted anyway. I will probably come in last.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Done. Jekyll & Hyde with many options on some and a struggle to get even one on others. Did I go for things I have mentioned numerous times on the board or let them go? Bwah ha ha!
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

For the superheroes, if they used several names, does each count separately?
ihavejeoprosy

Post by ihavejeoprosy »

econgator wrote:For the superheroes, if they used several names, does each count separately?
For the purposes of this quiz, each option only pertains to one superhero.
ihavejeoprosy

Post by ihavejeoprosy »

countyguy wrote:I have no idea on most stuff related to TV, movies, or literature, but I submitted anyway. I will probably come in last.
Its still pretty early to jump to any conclusions.

Done. Jekyll & Hyde with many options on some and a struggle to get even one on others. Did I go for things I have mentioned numerous times on the board or let them go? Bwah ha ha!
I tried to go for a mix of questions, lets see how your strategy pays off.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

ihavejeoprosy wrote:
econgator wrote:For the superheroes, if they used several names, does each count separately?
Ok, so ... if George Washington went by The Prez, General George, and The Virginian, then any of those three answers would count as one?
ihavejeoprosy

Post by ihavejeoprosy »

econgator wrote:
ihavejeoprosy wrote:
Ok, so ... if George Washington went by The Prez, General George, and The Virginian, then any of those three answers would count as one?
I have the most popular version of each option in mind. If you want to go with another identity, ill consider it, but it would still correspond to the same person. It would make more sense to keep it simple.
CheezeWhiz

Post by CheezeWhiz »

ihavejeoprosy wrote:
2. Name one of the top 10 most popular types of chocolate based candy given out at Halloween. (Stats compiled in 2013)
Is this specific to US or some other region? Candy can vary pretty wildly from one country to another.
-CheezeWhiz - The Wizard of Cheeze
BobF

Post by BobF »

CheezeWhiz wrote: Candy can vary pretty wildly from one country to another.
She sure can, I've seen the pictures from her summer backpacking trip to Europe!
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!
CheezeWhiz

Post by CheezeWhiz »

BobF wrote:
CheezeWhiz wrote: Candy can vary pretty wildly from one country to another.
She sure can, I've seen the pictures from her summer backpacking trip to Europe!
How did you get your hands on those pictures? I thought I deleted them....
-CheezeWhiz - The Wizard of Cheeze
ihavejeoprosy

Post by ihavejeoprosy »

CheezeWhiz wrote:
ihavejeoprosy wrote:
2. Name one of the top 10 most popular types of chocolate based candy given out at Halloween. (Stats compiled in 2013)
Is this specific to US or some other region? Candy can vary pretty wildly from one country to another.
I cant think of many other places that have a halloween-candy connection, but I am referring to the US. I'll make that clear in the question.
ihavejeoprosy

Post by ihavejeoprosy »

First day in the books. Some interesting trends developing and plenty of singletons available.
ihavejeoprosy

Post by ihavejeoprosy »

Bump for visibility and notice to get your singletons.
ihavejeoprosy

Re: TD 206 - Leftovers (cheating account free)

Post by ihavejeoprosy »

Day 3 of entries with cheating ban enforced. Get those singletons while you can.