Thursday, November 24, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Thursday, November 24, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6254, 2011-11-24

CONTESTANTS
Ann Thurlow, an aspiring novelist and retired salesperson from Mendham, New Jersey
Sean McGuire, an automotive service advisor from Plainville, Massachusetts
Francis Lansangan, a military analyst from Virginia Beach, Virginia (whose 3-day cash winnings total $78,401)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny Gilbert. And happy Thanksgiving, ladies and gentlemen, and welcome to our show. Our champion Francis has a great deal to be thankful for--$78,000 in cash so far earned on Jeopardy! Sean and Ann are here to put a stop to his winning ways. Let's see how successful they are. Good luck to all three. Let's get into the Jeopardy! Round, shall we? And today we feature these categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
NEW WORDS & PHRASES (5/5)
COLLEGES' HOME FOOTBALL STADIUMS (4/5)
A FINE CATEGORY (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
HISTORICAL NOVELS (4/5)
THE ENTERTAINER (5/5)
HARVARD MUSEUM OF NATURAL HISTORY (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Francis: 16 R, 4 W
Sean: 8 R (including 1 rebound), 2 W
Ann: 4 R (including 2 rebounds and 1 DD), 2 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 2
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $1,800

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Francis: $2,200
Sean: $600
Ann: -$1,800

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: As you heard at the beginning of our program, Ann Thurlow is an aspiring novelist. What you didn't hear is that she recently took up what kind of dancing?

Ann: Bollywood, Alex.

Alex: What is...

Ann: Bollywood. It's named for the musical--uh, the great, extravagant Indian musical movies where you have casts of thousands. And they do what American movies really don't do anymore, which is have great, spec--song and dance numbers in all their movies, and now I take classes, and it incorporates a little bit of hip-hop, a little bit of musical theater, jazz...

Alex: And obvious--obviously, judging from the way you're smiling and expressing yourself--

Ann: ...ballet...

Alex: --it's a lot of fun, isn't it?

Ann: It is a lot of fun.

Alex: Okay, well, keep it going.

Alex: Sean McGuire is an automotive service advisor who, uh, on his first date with his soon-to-be wife, you did what? Where did you go?

Sean: Well, she took me fishing on her grandfather's boat.

Alex: Now judging by the expression on your face, that does not look as if it was the most pleasant experience for you.

Sean: Well it all worked out well in the end, Alex. But, uh, in fact, I don't know if you've ever fished with blood worms, but they're the one worm, at least the one worm I've come across, that, when you go to hook 'em, they bite back.

[Laughter]

Alex: Did you catch any fish?

Sean: I-I caught the big one, you might say.

[Laughter]

Alex: All right.

Alex: Francis... [laughs] Francis is our champion--Lansangan, from Virginia. Once portrayed--now get this, folks--a lot of uh, performers--a lot of players on Jeopardy! have done some acting. Well, our champion, Francis, did a little bit. He portrayed somebody I bet nobody else has ever portrayed. And that was?

Francis: Kim Jong-Il.

Alex: Of course, yes. What a popular character to portray.

Francis: I, uh, I played him twice. Uh, once was for our--one of my captains' farewell dinner. Uh, it was--I turned it into kind of a roast. And then the second time was when I left my, uh, my second ship and, uh, I decided to come out as Kim Jong-Il.

Alex: Aha. Okay.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Ann found the Daily Double on the 22nd clue. Francis had $3,800, Sean had $2,000, and Ann had a deficit with -$800. Ann wagered $200.

A FINE CATEGORY $400: In 17th c. Virginia it cost you 50 pounds of tobacco to miss weekly attendance here

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
COLLEGES' HOME FOOTBALL STADIUMS $1000: Boone Pickens Stadium
(Ann: What is University of Texas?)
(Francis: What's Texas Christian University?)
(Sean: What's Texas A&M?)

HISTORICAL NOVELS $800: "Cosette", part 2 of this classic novel, begins with a chapter titled "Waterloo"
(Francis: What is War and Peace?)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Francis: $5,400
Sean: $3,400
Ann: $600
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Thursday, November 24, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
NUDE WORDS & PHRASES (4/5)
MOVIE DIRECTORS (5/5)
HOW I MET YOUR MOTHER (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double) (Alex: We want you to name the speaker of each clue I deliver.)
CLASSICAL ROCK (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
CHEF IRON (2/2)
GEOGRAPHIC MEANINGS (1/1)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Ann: 10 R (including 3 rebounds and 2 DDs), 1 W
Sean: 6 R, 1 W
Francis: 6 R, 2 W

Clues revealed: 23
Triple Stumpers: 1
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $800

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Ann snagged the next Daily Double on the 14th clue. Francis had $12,600, Sean had $6,200, and Ann was at $3,400. Ann wagered $3,000.

CLASSICAL ROCK $1600: When he composed his Symphony No. 40 in G Minor in 1788, he didn't have these sounds in mind

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Ann who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 19th clue. Francis had $14,600, Sean had $6,600, and Ann was at $7,600. Ann wagered $7,200.

HOW I MET YOUR MOTHER $1200: Pen, my boy, I fell in love with your mother's poetry before I met her in person at her Wimpole Street house in May 1845
(Alex: And we have less than a minute to go now, Ann.)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
NUDE WORDS & PHRASES $800: This 5-letter synonym for bare or plain is often found before "naked" to mean totally nude
(Ann: What is total?)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Ann: $17,600
Francis: $13,400
Sean: $7,000

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
PSYCHOLOGY TERMS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Three-quarters for first place.
Ann: Wager $9,201 to cover Francis.
Francis: You'll want to wager $4,201, and you'll win the game if Ann wagers enough and gets it wrong.
Sean: You can't really win on a Triple Stumper, so your best hope is if you're the only one to get Final right. Wager everything but a few dollars.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This 2-word term has its origins in a hostage-taking that followed the botched 1973 Norrmalmstorg bank robbery

FINAL SCORES
Sean: $7,000 + $6,999 = $13,999 (What is Stockholm Syndrome?) (3rd place: $1,000)
Francis: $13,400 + $13,399 = $26,799 (What is Stockholm Syndrome?) (2nd place: $2,000)
Ann: $17,600 + $9,205 = $26,805 (What is the Stockholm Syndrome?) (New champion: $26,805)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $2,600

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Francis: $13,400, 22 R, 6 W
Ann: $10,400, 14 R (including 3 DDs), 3 W
Sean: $7,000, 14 R, 3 W
Combined Coryat: $30,800

BATTING AVERAGES
Francis: 23/58 = .397
Sean: 15/58 = .259
Ann: 15/61 = .246
Team: 53/63 = .841

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
COLLEGES' HOME FOOTBALL STADIUMS $800: Tiger Stadium
(Francis: What is Clemson?)
(Ann: What is Princeton?)

NEW WORDS & PHRASES $1000: Breathe easier with this 4-letter acronym for a filter that removes even the tiniest airborne particles
[Applause for Francis's run of the category]

A FINE CATEGORY $800: 6-letter word for one who sprays his own name in graffiti; no matter how cool the signature, he may get fined for it
(Francis: What's artist?)
(Alex: Be more specific.)
(Francis: What's graffiti artist?)

HARVARD MUSEUM OF NATURAL HISTORY $200: (Sarah of the Clue Crew delivers the clue from the Harvard Museum of Natural History in Cambridge, MA.) A relative of the plesiosaurs, this 42-foot reptile terrorized the seas of the early Cretaceous period; called Kronosaurus queenslandicus, it was discovered on a 1931 Harvard expedition to this continent

HARVARD MUSEUM OF NATURAL HISTORY $400: (Sarah of the Clue Crew delivers the clue from the Harvard Museum of Natural History in Cambridge, MA.) The museum has 4,000 handcrafted glass flowers; created from 1887 to 1936, their accuracy allowed study in Boston of flowers from these regions, between 23 27' north & south
(Sean: What are the temperate zones?)

HARVARD MUSEUM OF NATURAL HISTORY $600: (Jimmy of the Clue Crew delivers the clue from the Harvard Museum of Natural History in Cambridge, MA.) The Harvard Museum has part of the famous Zagami meteorite, which fell to the Earth in Nigeria in 1962; gases trapped inside match those found by Viking spacecraft, confirming the rock's distant origin on this planet

HARVARD MUSEUM OF NATURAL HISTORY $800: (Sarah of the Clue Crew delivers the clue from the Harvard Museum of Natural History in Cambridge, MA.) Suspended above the museum's dramatic Great Mammal Hall are the skeletons of three whale species--a finback whale, a right whale, & this, the largest of the toothed whales

HARVARD MUSEUM OF NATURAL HISTORY $1000: (Sarah of the Clue Crew delivers the clue from the Harvard Museum of Natural History in Cambridge, MA.) Weighing in at more than 1,600 pounds, the giant chunk of amethyst here is one of these stones that form under pressure inside cavities, from the Latin for "earth"

CLASSICAL ROCK $400: This Italian's "Trial of Harmony and Invention, Opus 8" is heard anew here

CLASSICAL ROCK $800: This composer's symphony that glorified the ideal of human brotherhood is re-imagined here

MOVIE DIRECTORS $400: Don't keep us in suspense; name this director whose profile is seen here
(Alex: [After reading the clue] Lot of profile.)

CLASSICAL ROCK $1200: It's Wagner's "Ride of" these, the way it was meant to be--heavy metal, & we don't mean the tuba

CLASSICAL ROCK $2000: The buzz on this newly rocked-out piece says it's from Rimsky-Korsakov's opera "Tsar Saltan"

HOW I MET YOUR MOTHER $1600: By Jove, kids, it was around 41 B.C. when your mother sailed up the Cydnus in a barge, dressed as Venus
(Sean: Who is Julius Caesar?)

CHEF IRON $800: Amco's 12-inch pairs of stainless steel utility locking these feature silicone-coated tips "for perfect pickups"
(Francis: What are spatulas?)

GEOGRAPHIC MEANINGS $400: A country:
"Rich Coast"
(Francis: What is Cote d'Ivoire?)
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

CORRECT RESPONSES
church
Oklahoma State University
Les Misérables
Mozart
Robert Browning
stark
Stockholm Syndrome
LSU
HEPA
tagger
Australia
the Tropics
Mars
a sperm whale
a geode
Vivaldi
Beethoven
Alfred Hitchcock
the Valkyrie
"Flight of the Bumblebee"
Mark Antony
tongs
Costa Rica
laubla999
Maybe Someday Jeopardy Champion

Re: Thursday, November 24, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by laubla999 »

Well, that was ... quite surprising!

I got FJ but I wasn't really confident about it since I thought the expression was much older.
But I'll take it!
Frank Hardy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Frank Hardy »

I had Francis pegged as the first contender for the 2013 ToC. I also thought at the beginning of the program that he wouldn't have much trouble with his two somewhat older opponents. Looks like I was wrong on both counts.

Also, I was glad to see tonight's winner make such large wagers when she hit both Daily Doubles in Double Jeopardy, as opposed to the stereotypical behavior of some women contestants.
NoName84

Post by NoName84 »

That Final Jeopardy clue sounded familiar.
MDCSWildcats86

Post by MDCSWildcats86 »

NoName84 wrote:That Final Jeopardy clue sounded familiar.

That's because it was used as an FJ in the first-round heats of UToC.

PS: I got my recap from GAME SHOW KINGDOM (as J! was pre-empted due to MIRACLE ON 34th STREET [!] here in South Oklahoma City). Was the ADD on CLASSICAL ROCK done by the "Jep!Tones" or not?
lisa0012

Post by lisa0012 »

MDCSWildcats86 wrote:
NoName84 wrote:That Final Jeopardy clue sounded familiar.

That's because it was used as an FJ in the first-round heats of UToC.

/quote]

Actually, it was used more or less in a regular game, during Aaron Thompson's run in 2004. (So says the archive, didn't see the UToC clue in there)

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=87

I missed it (or rather, Mom beat me to the punch so I don't know if I would have gotten there), and as I am almost done with a psychology Ph.D. I was ashamed, but I also work with kids and have only studied this topic in passing. A friendly reminder that I need to bone up on adult issues big time before the licensure exam...
mam418
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by mam418 »

Wow - what a change from the lady's J DD wager of $200, to her aggressive wagering in DJ. She either figured she had nothing to lose... or somebody spiked her bottle of water during the commercial break! :mrgreen:

Was a little bummed to see Francis lose - I liked him, and was rooting for him to possibly make the next ToC.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Forget Ann's water bottle. Francis, what did you have for lunch? I'll guess swiss cheese with all the holes you put in your scorecard with the misses. All you had to do was find either of the DDs in the DJ round. Instead Ann found both of them and after the timid $200 in the J! round she took Alex's encouragement in Classical Rock to boost the bet to $3000 and then she went hog wild with $7200 on the final one.

Tonight's game showed how comebacks can be made and how it can be easy to judge opponents too easily. The game seemed well in hand for Francis to all but lock up a TOC spot, but then it got away.

The FJ clue seemed good for a triple solve and only funny business on Ann's FJ wager left room for Francis to win again. I thought it was possible for Ann to bet for a tie on Francis doubling up. I would not have bothered to save the buck in that situation.

I enjoyed the triple Texas miss. Did Alex somehow make the players think U. of Texas was close to cause the TCU and A&M misses?

The list is short with 3-time champs and $78,401 making the TOC, but it can happen. Scheduling or a Madden-esque champ could help Francis's case.
Budphrey
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Budphrey »

MarkBarrett wrote:I enjoyed the triple Texas miss. Did Alex somehow make the players think U. of Texas was close to cause the TCU and A&M misses?
Hey, in 13 years living in Texas, I heard Pickens identified most often with Fort Worth. So TCU seemed the most natural guess on the surface (though after I committed to that response from my "home lectern," I remembered the TCU stadium was named after some other local benefactor).
Poo-tee-weet? So it goes.
one-nil
Contributor

Post by one-nil »

It's a small world. As someone who also used to live in Mendham, N.J. (just down the road from Delbarton), I had to root for the lovely Ann, and her outfit reminded me to go see "The Muppets" this weekend.

Of course, it was not wholly about Mendham. Thanks to Ann, I retain the title of the greatest Fil-Am player in J! history.

Ann = peggles.

Thank you. Bye-bye. Best wishes.

P.S. Miss ya!
Proud Member of the Group of 360 (G360) Since 2007!
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

*Loved* the "Classical Rock" category, merging two of my favourite genres of music in one - I have a few (but not nearly enough IMHO) of this "fused genre" examples on my iPod (as well as fusion examples of two of my other favourite types of music hard rock / metal (again) and national anthems. (Yes, Hendrix is one)). Part of me was really hoping that there would be a place to buy the examples played on the episode, but MDCSWildcats86's "Jeptones" comment makes me think it probably was more likely done in-house.
MarkBarrett wrote:Forget Ann's water bottle. Francis, what did you have for lunch? I'll guess swiss cheese with all the holes you put in your scorecard with the misses. All you had to do was find either of the DDs in the DJ round. Instead Ann found both of them and after the timid $200 in the J! round she took Alex's encouragement in Classical Rock to boost the bet to $3000 and then she went hog wild with $7200 on the final one.
I seem to recall that the "tuna sandwich" was the stereotypical "do not order from the commissary if you want to do well" menu item ...
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Re: Thursday, November 24, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILER

Post by seaborgium »

MarkBarrett wrote:Forget Ann's water bottle. Francis, what did you have for lunch? I'll guess swiss cheese with all the holes you put in your scorecard with the misses.
Nah, that was business as usual for Francis. His average negs per game was already fairly high before this one.
dhkendall wrote:I seem to recall that the "tuna sandwich" was the stereotypical "do not order from the commissary if you want to do well" menu item ...
Maybe you're thinking of Faith Love's tuna salad, her last-ditch effort to make the ToC stage. But if not, do tuna melts count? That's what I had for lunch* before I taped my fourth game, in which I entered FJ with a $22,600 lead. (And I've made sure since then to include tuna in my lunches when I have a game or games coming up. I've had more post-lunch successes than failures, although the failure far outweighed the successes monetarily.)

*Well, half of one. I was so charged with adrenaline after my first three wins that I hardly had an appetite. Plus I had a banana and Vitamin Water while waiting for it to be cooked. I still wonder whether the small amount of food I ate gave me an edge.
earendel

Post by earendel »

Most of the game on my station was preempted by the CBS post-game highlights show. They resumed the show "already in progress" with the last two answered questions (there was a whole category and most of a second one unrevealed - was the game play slow?) and FJ!, which was an instaget for me.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

seaborgium wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:Forget Ann's water bottle. Francis, what did you have for lunch? I'll guess swiss cheese with all the holes you put in your scorecard with the misses.
Nah, that was business as usual for Francis. His average negs per game was already fairly high before this one.
dhkendall wrote:I seem to recall that the "tuna sandwich" was the stereotypical "do not order from the commissary if you want to do well" menu item ...
Maybe you're thinking of Faith Love's tuna salad, her last-ditch effort to make the ToC stage. But if not, do tuna melts count? That's what I had for lunch* before I taped my fourth game, in which I entered FJ with a $22,600 lead. (And I've made sure since then to include tuna in my lunches when I have a game or games coming up. I've had more post-lunch successes than failures, although the failure far outweighed the successes monetarily.)

*Well, half of one. I was so charged with adrenaline after my first three wins that I hardly had an appetite. Plus I had a banana and Vitamin Water while waiting for it to be cooked. I still wonder whether the small amount of food I ate gave me an edge.
There was some foodstuff that was a running gag on the Sony board that supposedly "caused" the downfall of a few contestants, perhaps the tuna salad was what I was thinking of.

(I know, probably the last thing everyone wants to hear on the day after Thanksgiving is more food talk. ;) )
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Pastor Dave's poison was the grilled cheese, for what it's worth.
TomKBaltimoreBoy
Lucky to be Here

Post by TomKBaltimoreBoy »

Budphrey wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:I enjoyed the triple Texas miss. Did Alex somehow make the players think U. of Texas was close to cause the TCU and A&M misses?
Hey, in 13 years living in Texas, I heard Pickens identified most often with Fort Worth. So TCU seemed the most natural guess on the surface (though after I committed to that response from my "home lectern," I remembered the TCU stadium was named after some other local benefactor).
That benefactor was Amon Carter, owner and publisher of the Ft. Worth Star-Telegram, noted for being such a Ft. Worth booster he would bring a bag lunch to meetings in Dallas, so as not to spend any money there. If Pickens was in the clue, I'm assuming the answer was OK State, as his name is plastered all over the place -- I haven't seen the episode yet; gonna have to play it from the archive.
Life IS pain, Princess. Anyone telling you differently is selling something.
jpahk
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by jpahk »

oh, pity. i don't know if it was just 4th-game fatigue (this certainly happened to me in my run, but i lucked out with a harder FJ), but i'm sorry to see francis's run come to an end. i loved the harvard museum category—that's across the street from my office, and i've been there many times with my kids. i was stunned to see the kronosaurus in the $400 clue, since that's a pretty tough dinosaur to ask about, but i guess they managed to ask the easiest possible thing about it.

it was a showcase game for the power of the DD. ann picked up all three, and despite her comically wimpy bet on the (largely immaterial) first one, she made the other two count. she was even slower about picking clues than francis, so i wasn't surprised to hear the "minute to go" warning with two full categories left in DJ.

well, francis—great run! nice to have you on my TV this week.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Did the 'classical rock' snippets really take up so much time in DJ that they only got to 23 questions? Too bad, since I enjoyed them and that'll probably be the closest to an actual prog rock category on the show. DJ really seemed short.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

No comment yet on the number of unrevealed clues on the DJ board? I think it was 7. I know Francis hesitated before picking, but it couldn't have been that bad, and the pace of the game seemed pretty reasonable.

Sorry to see you lose, Francis, but I'm pretty sure you had a good time after that long wait. And I have to admit stunned me after I was expressing dismay to my TV set after the Jeopardy round DD. $200?!??! When you're in the hole?!?? Acquitted herself nicely, I must say.