TD 143: Oh I'll Play Your Game, You Rogue!

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Turd Ferguson
Jeopardy! Champion

TD 143: Oh I'll Play Your Game, You Rogue!

Post by Turd Ferguson »

Rules (cut and pasted liberally from opusthepenguin's TD 142):

1. DO NOT POST YOUR ANSWERS IN THIS THREAD! Send them to me by private message.

2. Deadline for submissions is 11:59:59 PM EST on Monday, November 28, 2011.

3. The object, as you know, is to provide the least popular correct answer for each of the questions.

a. Your score on a question equals the number of people (including you) who gave your answer.
b. Incorrect answers receive the "sheep" score (highest score on that question) plus 5
c. Lowest final score wins (with total computed by adding your scores together)

4. You may DROP one question by so indicating and receive zero points for that question. If you do not use a drop, your final score will be reduced by ten points as a “bonus”. If you use a drop on the last question, your final score will be reduced by three points. There is no bonus for dropping any other question. I think that these questions are all pretty “accessible” with at least one “obvious” answer for each – there are a few correct answers contained in the questions - so would “prefer” to see every entrant answer each question, though I could see some people not knowing any answers to the last one.

5. Answers must be provided out of the wealth of information that exists in your brain. No research! However, if, in the course of your normal activities, you happen to learn something useful between the time you read the questions and the time you submit your answers, that new knowledge is fair game. So you may find it advantageous to delay your submission. On the other hand...

6. In the event of a tie, the earlier entry gets priority. (Hat tip to Paucle for that no muss solution.)

7. If you have questions or comments, send them to me via private message unless you are sure that what you say will not reveal answers, offer hints, steer players away from negbait, or in any other way affect the outcome.
Turd Ferguson
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: TD 143: Oh I'll Play Your Game, You Rogue!

Post by Turd Ferguson »

1. “S” WORDS
Name one of the 100 most common words in English containing an "s" (Source - wikipedia). (18 correct answers)
ETA: Ugh, I hadn't noticed this part of the article before -
"Note that the items listed may represent more than one actual word; they are lemmas. For instance the entry "be" contains within it the occurrences of "are", "is", "were" and "was"."

2. THERAPISTS
There was no more famous Pop Culture therapist than Dr. Frasier Crane. Kelsey Grammer received 13 Oustanding Actor Emmy Nominations for portraying Frasier (on three different shows!), winning four times. Name an actor who won an Emmy in a category+year in which Grammer was nominated, or an actor who was nominated in a category+year in which Grammer won the award (There are actors that fall into both “categories”). Source – IMDB (16 correct answers)

3. FAMOUS TITLES
Give the more famous published title of one of the following working/original titles (I’m not sure how reliable everything2.com is as a source for this, though I was able to find other references on Google to each of these titles being used or “considered”) (12 correct answers):
a) First Impressions
b) Mag's Diversions
c) All's Well That Ends Well
d) The Chronic Argonauts
e) Trimalchio in West Egg
f) Twilight
g) Tomorrow is Another Day
h) Salinas Valley
i) The Jaws of the Leviathan
j) Before This Anger
k) Catch-18
l) Fiesta

4. THE PEN IS MIGHTIER
Wars have been started in many different ways, but have almost always been ended with a mighty pen (yes I know that’s not the context of the original quote… work with me), most often (it seems) in the City Of Lights. Wikipedia has 21 different entries for "Treaty of Paris", with 9 of these treaties defined as ending a specific War (or series of Wars). Name a War/series of Wars ended by a Treaty of Paris, or the year associated with any of these 21 treaties source – Wikipedia (30 correct answers)

5. CONDIMENTS
Name one of the 20 Best-selling condiments in the USA, as reported by a SymphonyIRI Group survey, published in Business Week Magazine, Oct 7, 2010. For the purposes of the survey, responses were separated by product and brand. Source – businessweek.com (20 correct answers)

6. A PETIT DEJEUNER
(I really didn't know what to do for this one, but figured something more "highbrow" would be nice)
Name a Nobel Laureate who likely had a few "Petit Dejeuners" in his/her time. i.e. name a French Nobel Laureate Source – wikipedia.com (58 correct answers)

7. FOREIGN FLICKS
- Name one of the top 15 grossing foreign language films released since 1980, as per boxofficemojo.com. Only non-US-produced features are counted, re-issues excluded. (i.e. an American produced film containing mainly foreign dialogue such as "Passion of the Christ" or "Letters From Iwo Jima" are not considered “foreign” for purposes of this list) (15 correct answers)

8. AN ALBUM COVER
Name the title of one of the album covers described below While not explicitly stated, these are all rock albums. Source – rollingstone.com (17 correct answers)

Rolling Stone's Greatest Album Covers, listed in the Nov. 14, 1991 issue:
1. The band, in military outfits, standing in a garden amidst cardboard cutouts of their heroes
2. The first part of the title in black lettering, above the remainder of the album title (which is also the band’s name), in yellow lettering on a pink background. (The cover’s main background is yellow)
3. A plain white cover
4. A close-up of a jeans-clad male crotch
5. A photo taken off a wall of a tattoo parlor, consisting of a number photos of "unusual" people
6. The Beverly Hills Hotel, at sunset
7. A topless pubescent girl, holding a silver space ship
8. The band name written in an ambigram, which can also be read "we ate the acid", with artwork around the bottom edge depicting several phallic representations. (A 5-year old Courtney Love appears on the back cover)
9. A multi-panel comic drawn by Robert Crumb, including the band personnel
10. A print of a banana (on a white background), with the print's artist's signature

Rolling Stone's Reader Poll results – The Best Album Covers of All time (June 15, 2011):
1. The band, in military outfits, standing in a garden amidst cardboard cutouts of their heroes
2. A dispersive prism on a black background
3. A naked baby floating underwater towards a dollar bill dangling on a fishhook
4. The band traversing a “zebra crossing” on a tree-lined empty road
5. The band’s bassist smashing his instrument on stage
6. A close-up of a jeans-clad male crotch
7. Sketches of the band members, with old photographs of the band members pasted around.
8. The artist leaning on his (mostly unseen) saxophonist, holding a forward-facing guitar
9. Two men in suits (one on fire) shaking hands on the Warner Bros. lot
10. A print of a banana (on a white background), with the print's artist's signature.

9. RICHARD NIXON
Name a team that won one of the "big four" sports championships during Richard Nixon's presidency i.e. the Super Bowl, NBA Championship, Stanley Cup or World Series . (Counting Nixon's time as President, but not as President-Elect) The New York Yankees did not win a title during Nixon’s presidency. (I may be pointing this out to help people avoid a wrong answer, or perhaps just because I liked mentioning it… Sorry, Paucle and others, that “long national nightmare” would not end until several years after Nixon’s Presidency) :) Source – wikipedia.com (15 correct answers)

10. FAMOUS HORSEMEN
The nickname "four horsemen" has been given to many foursomes in the last 85 years or so, the most famous two groups perhaps being the 1924 Notre Dame backfield and the Professional Wrestling stable of the late 20th Century. Name any member of either Four Horsemen, or the Head Coach of the Notre Dame team, or the famed sportswriter who gave the Notre Dame foursome their nickname. Though he is now perhaps the most famous Notre Dame player of the era, thanks to the famous line from “Knute Rockne, All American”, George (“The Gipper”) Gipp was not one of the Four Horsemen. There were many members of the Wrestling group; anyone listed as a full or "associated" member on wikipedia is a valid response Source - wikipedia (26 correct entries)

11. I HAVE A CHARDONNAY
- From "Sideways":
Miles (Paul Giamatti): "I like all varietals. I just don't generally like the way they manipulate chardonnay in California. Too much oak and secondary malolactic fermentation."
Jack (Thomas Hayden Church): "Huh."
Name a movie in which Paul Giamatti appears. Source – imdb.com (Many correct answers - though I certainly don’t remember his character in all of them, I have seen 16 of these films myself)

12. JAPAN US RELATIONS
Name a Japanese head of govt or head of state since 1980 (23 correct entries)

13. CATCH THESE MEN
The FBI’s 10 Most Wanted Fugivites List contains 10 people, all of which must have been charged with a crime by a prosecutor or indicted by a grand jury. List members are generally replaced after being killed or captured, though the current list still contains one man labeled “Deceased” and one man labeled “Captured”. Name a person who is currently on, OR (note edit) who was added to and removed from the FBI’s 10 Most Wanted Fugitives List since Jan. 1, 2005 (20 correct answers)

14. CELEBRITY JEOPARDY!
The first 13 questions all related, of course, to categories appearing on SNL Celebrity Jeopardy! skits. Each of these categories which was "mis-pronounced", “mis-interpreted”, or “altered” by one of the “contestants” on the skit. Name or describe any of these "alternate category names". (12 correct answers)

BONUS
Name as many answers to Question 14 as you can. Bonus points will be awarded as follows – minus-two for five correct answers, minus-three for eight correct answers, minus-five for twelve correct
Last edited by Turd Ferguson on Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:16 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Turd Ferguson
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Turd Ferguson »

Players:

1. MarkBarrett
2. Volante
3. Gamawire
4. ayeembored
5. Woppy T
6. mennoknight
7. mitchparov
8. paucle
9. WRV
10. Peggles
11. econgator
12. mam418
13. dhkendall
14. barandall
15. goforthetie
16. amorris525
17. teapot37
18. debramc
19. HugoZ **
20. billy_pilgrim
21. opusthepenguin
22. cheezguyty
23. Bamaman **

** please check your PMs.
Last edited by Turd Ferguson on Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:16 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Turd Ferguson
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Turd Ferguson »

Clarifications:

[1]1. "S" WORDS[/b]
- Sorry, bad wording... of the 100 most common words in the English Language, 18 of them contain an S (anywhere in the word). Name one of these 18 "s-words".

2. THERAPISTS
- I believe the specifications are clear. e.g. Ted Danson, who has been nominated for both Oustanding Lead and Outstanding Supporting Actor is not a correct answer. He was nominated multiple times in the same year as Grammer, even once in the same category (thanks, Volante!), but never once did Danson win "over" Grammer, or vice versa.

5. CONDIMENTS
- Individual brand names and products are listed independently. i.e. if asking for a top selling juice, "Minute Maid Orange Juice" and "Minute Maid Apple Juice" would be distinct answers, while "Orange Juice" would require a BMS (as there are multiple listings for several different "products" on this list)

6. A PETIT DEJEUNER
For this TD, the nationality of Nobel Laureates will be defined by the Nobel Prize Committee website. From wikipedia:
"The list does not distinguish between laureates who got a full prize and the majority who got just a fraction of a prize.[3] Some laureates are listed under more than one country, because the official website mentions multiple countries in relation to the laureate.[4] If a country is merely mentioned as the place of birth, an asterisk(*) is used in the respective lis
ting to indicate this.[5] In this case, the birth country is mentioned in italics at the other listings of this laureate"

7. FOREIGN FLICKS
Only non-US-produced features are counted, re-issues excluded. (i.e. an American produced film containing mainly foreign dialogue such as "Letters From Iwo Jima" or "Passion of the Christ" are not counted for this list). Box office gross is "domestic" (US + Canada).
Last edited by Turd Ferguson on Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:35 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Lordie-loo...one drop won't be enough :lol:
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Woppy T
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Woppy T »

Maybe I'm missing something - why does question 1 have only 18 possible correct answers, rather than 100?
Turd Ferguson
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Turd Ferguson »

Woppy T wrote:Maybe I'm missing something - why does question 1 have only 18 possible correct answers, rather than 100?
Ah, I meant to say name one of the words on the 100 most common word list that is spelled with an "S". There are 18 such words.

I have also clarified the clarification about Ted Danson... the previous text wasn't completely correct (though Danson still is not a correct answer).
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Volante wrote:Lordie-loo...one drop won't be enough :lol:
*nod* I'd need 4 or 5, I think.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

I think youre missing a word in the Kelsey Grammer question. I think it should say "Name an actor who won an Emmy in a year..." That may be part of the reason people are having trouble understanding the question.

One other clarification: in the list of the top 15 grossing foreign films since 1980, is that domestic gross or worldwide? I assume that it is US box office only, but I could see you going either way.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

For question #1, are plurals allowed, or do they not even appear on the list being used?
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Turd Ferguson
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Turd Ferguson »

jeff6286 wrote:I think youre missing a word in the Kelsey Grammer question. I think it should say "Name an actor who won an Emmy in a year..." That may be part of the reason people are having trouble understanding the question.

One other clarification: in the list of the top 15 grossing foreign films since 1980, is that domestic gross or worldwide? I assume that it is US box office only, but I could see you going either way.
Thanks for noting the missing word in the Grammer question. Box office gross at boxofficemojo (the site used by wikipedia and imdb) is "domestic" (Canada+US), though the site seems to treat Canadian movies and gate receipts inconsistently. None of the Top 20 are Canadian
dhkendall wrote:For question #1, are plurals allowed, or do they not even appear on the list being used?
There are no plurals, and no words containing apostrophes.
Turd Ferguson
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Turd Ferguson »

Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

Turd Ferguson wrote:There are no plurals, and no words containing apostrophes.
What about plurastrophes?
HugoZ
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by HugoZ »

Paucle wrote:
Turd Ferguson wrote:There are no plurals, and no words containing apostrophes.
What about plurastrophes?
I believe that should be "plurastrophe's".
Turd Ferguson
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Turd Ferguson »

Only 15 entries so far, I'll try not to take it personally... 12 hours or so left, though I don't know if I'll have a chance to start the reveal until the AM.
billy pilgrim

Post by billy pilgrim »

Really good game, Mr. Ferguson- it just seems wrong to address you as Turd- thank you .
She caught the Katy and left me a mule to ride.
Turd Ferguson
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Turd Ferguson »

1. “S” WORDS

Sean Connery - "I'll take swords for $400"
Alex Trebek "It's actually not swords, sir."

Name one of the 100 most common words in English containing an "s" (as per wikipedia). (18 correct answers)

In retrospect, this was a pretty bad question. The list I had intended to use from Wikipedia (originating from an Oxford Online study) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Most_commo ... in_English contains a really big “qualifier” that I hadn't noticed. What it really seems to be ranking are “lemmas”, so many words that “should” appear on a most common word list end up getting grouped with others ("is", "was" and others are grouped under "be", for example), and so don’t appear.

I’m thinking the best thing to do might be to throw out the question... luckily nobody dumped the question, and the given responses were fairly evenly distributed anyways

As
Gamawire
Woppy T
mitchparov

See
Volante
Peggles
debramc

Has
paucle
econgator

His
goforthetie
Bamaman

Is
MarkBarrett
HugoZ

So
WRV
mam418

This
ayeembored
amorris525

Yes
barandall
billy_pilgrim

Say
cheezguyty

She
teapot37

These
dhkendall

Those
mennoknight

Use
opusthepenguin

Other words appearing on the list
just, person, some, its, also, first, because, most, us
Turd Ferguson
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Turd Ferguson »

2. THERAPISTS

Sean Connery: “It looks like this is my lucky day. I’ll take the rapists for $200”.
Alex Trebek: “That’s therapists… that’s therapists, not the rapists”

Name an actor who won an in a category/year in which Grammer was nominated, or an actor was nominated in a year in which Grammer won the award

Since Grammer was nominated so many times in such a short span, naming anyone who was nominated during this period (in the supporting category during Cheers or the lead category during Frasier) was likely to land a correct response. There was, alas, some neg. bait, with a couple responses that would have been correct if the question had been phrased to be slightly more inclusive. There was no real sheep, though, so the neg. penalty isn’t too bad.

Michael J. Fox (3)
MarkBarrett
paucle
econgator

John Goodman (3)
Gamawire
Woppy T
mennoknight

Kelsey Grammer (3)
dhkendall
Bamaman
cheezguyty

John Lithgow (2)
mam418
teapot37

Jerry Seinfeld (2)
debramc
HugoZ

John Larroquette (1)
ayeembored

Paul Reiser (1)
Peggles

DROP
Volante

Incorrect Answers (8)
Tim Allen (didn’t get much “love” from the Academy – only one nom in 1993. Grammer was not nominated that year, Cheers’ last season) – barandall, goforthetie, amorris525
Ted Danson (was nominated in a different category from Grammer for most of Cheers’ run. Grammer was nominated as a Lead for Wings in 1992, but both were beaten by Craig T. Nelson) – mitchparov, WRV
Burt Reynolds (nominated for Lead in ’91 and ’92) – billy_pilgrim
Michael Richards (nominated for Supporting several years while Grammer was in the Lead category) – opusthepenguin

Unused Answers:
Alex Rocco (I have no recollection of "The Famous Teddy Z", let alone "Moe Greene" winning an Emmy for it)
Craig T. Nelson
Garry Shandling
Eric McCormack
Ray Romano
John Ritter
Larry David
Matt LeBlanc
Tony Shaloub
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I thought I was being clever going with Grammer, but it was the sheep, albeit a small one. But is it fair to neg people for Danson when you said midgame he was a wrong answer? Are you dropping the first question?
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

Tony Shaloub, Eric McCormack and Ray Romano hit me SO fast, I mean the first three names the entered my mind, I figured they'd all be somewhat popular. So I dug deep to try to think outside the box a bit, shows I didn't watch during that span, and remembered MJF getting a somewhat unexpected win for Spin City. It cost me 2 points and econgator and MarkBarrett one each. Sorry!