2014 Summer Hiatus Challenge -- Round 4 Instant Replay Thread

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

lieph82
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: 2014 Summer Hiatus Challenge -- Round 4 Instant Replay Thread

Post by lieph82 »

Is there evidence that Jane Austen existed? Extra-Austenal evidence?
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Well, so much for my good scores of late. :(

Even more amazingly, I answered more questions in the sports category (2) than the female authors one (1).

I knew (or "made an educated guess at") Jabaar because I'm certain his book was mentioned on the show at one point.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
happybooker
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by happybooker »

lieph82 wrote:Is there evidence that Jane Austen existed? Extra-Austenal evidence?
Probably more evidence than that Ausitn (my answer) existed.

Better here than in FJ
jfrumkin
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by jfrumkin »

As I click through other people after submitting, I'm a little surprised more people didn't get Jim Brown. I guess the lacrosse thing isn't on the screen every time he's on TV or anything, but I thought it was a fairly known thing (and the Syracuse bit didn't hurt either).
Twitter: @jfrumkin
Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

hbomb1947 wrote:Well crap. Once again I was one stupid mistake away from a perfecto today. On the 4-pointer I saw that the clue was talking about a high-scoring NBA center and author, and I immediately wrote "Wilt Chamberlain," without even fully reading the clue.
Same here. I saw "six-time NBA champion" and "written seven books" and immediately thought of Bill Russell (who, as it turns out, played on 11 NBA championship teams).

By the way, I highly recommend Russell's autobiography, Second Wind. It's anything but typical of the genre. His co-author on that book was Pulitzer Prize-winner Taylor Branch.
tjconn728

Post by tjconn728 »

Blue Lion wrote:
hbomb1947 wrote:Well crap. Once again I was one stupid mistake away from a perfecto today. On the 4-pointer I saw that the clue was talking about a high-scoring NBA center and author, and I immediately wrote "Wilt Chamberlain," without even fully reading the clue.
Same here. I saw "six-time NBA champion" and "written seven books" and immediately thought of Bill Russell (who, as it turns out, played on 11 NBA championship teams).

By the way, I highly recommend Russell's autobiography, Second Wind. It's anything but typical of the genre. His co-author on that book was Pulitzer Prize-winner Taylor Branch.
I had it down to Wilt, Kareem, and Russell, but eliminated Russell because I thought six championships were too few. I was about to hit submit with Kareem as my answer because six championships sounded right and and I know he is a very eloquent and educated guy who might have written a book, but then I remembered Wilt's 100-point game and thought that anyone who can do that has to be the all-time leading scorer.

As for the English women authors, I knew Jane Austen had to be one of the answers, but I just didn't know which one.
OldSchoolChamp

Post by OldSchoolChamp »

jfrumkin wrote:As I click through other people after submitting, I'm a little surprised more people didn't get Jim Brown. I guess the lacrosse thing isn't on the screen every time he's on TV or anything, but I thought it was a fairly known thing (and the Syracuse bit didn't hurt either).
It doesn’t hurt to be old enough to have seen Jim Brown play.
We shall not cease from exploration,
And the end of all our exploring
Will be to arrive where we started
And know the place for the first time.
Leander

Post by Leander »

I figured Chamberlain was not the type to write a book like that, so it was between Russell and Jabbar, and the championships and scoring pointed to Jabbar. Hope I don't get dinged for accidentally leaving the D out of Abdul.

Another surprised at how many don't know Jim Brown's lacrosse history.

I thought Wollstonecraft a considerably more difficult question than who wrote Middlemarch.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Leander wrote:I thought Wollstonecraft a considerably more difficult question than who wrote Middlemarch.
I put them at equal difficulty. :)

And Kareem is about 7000 points ahead of Chamberlain.
TomKBaltimoreBoy
Lucky to be Here

Post by TomKBaltimoreBoy »

OldSchoolChamp wrote:
jfrumkin wrote:As I click through other people after submitting, I'm a little surprised more people didn't get Jim Brown. I guess the lacrosse thing isn't on the screen every time he's on TV or anything, but I thought it was a fairly known thing (and the Syracuse bit didn't hurt either).
I suspect being from Maryland or New York would help, too...

My father once described lacrosse as a sport so crazy "it gave Jim Brown a stick and told him to swing it when other people were around -- like he needed a stick." Pretty fair description of both the game and Brown's public persona.
Life IS pain, Princess. Anyone telling you differently is selling something.
davey

Post by davey »

This is only my second SHC, but I honestly haven't noticed if there are too many Biblical questions. I have noticed too many questions about a bunch of other idolatrous mythologies, and I say to hell with them!
I'I bet even Edward Casaubon would agree. (I just finished Middlemarch and I knew it would come in handy - who knew it would be this soon...?)
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Magna wrote:For the 9-pointer I kept wanting to say "de Mornay" because of the actress Rebecca De Mornay.
de Mo-nay. MO-NAY!

I would've gone 3-3 on my sports clams if i pulled the trigger...(Still would've left Brown blank)
Chamberlain vs Abdul-Jabbar
Was 49.9% sure about Steelers
Hamm vs Chastain

Sheesh.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

The only name that came to mind was Vinny Testaverde, but I knew he wasn't a running back. And, as it turns out, he didn't go to Syracuse either. :oops:

Thank goodness for the British women authors category!
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

ElendilPickle wrote:
The only name that came to mind was Vinny Testaverde, but I knew he wasn't a running back. And, as it turns out, he didn't go to Syracuse either. :oops:
and not in the NFL (Pro Football) Hall of Fame either.
OCSam
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Would Chiefs have been accepted for Webster?
heelsrule1988
Sports Jeopardy! Alum/VVL #19

Post by heelsrule1988 »

Following up a sports category with an evil category like literature? DoT doin' it juuuuuuust like the show. :lol:

(yes I am seething but I do appreciate the sports category so thank you :))
Last edited by heelsrule1988 on Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheyCallMeMrKid
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by TheyCallMeMrKid »

I don't know that there are many pairings of categories that could have been further apart on my knowledge spectrum than the Sports Centers and British Women Authors categories today. Almost had another "Book him, Dano", or Hawaii, or whatever we decided to call it last week, but managed to get Christie to avoid a British CLAM-fest.
Sheepin' it real.
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

I just kept mulling over the 12 pointer knowing when I saw it, I'd be mad for missing it.

Well, not so much mad it turns out as "feeling stupid." Was I sick that day in school? The get rate is high, and even seeing the answer, I would've had a tough time even if you offered me MC.

DoT: today's is one of your best sports ever. Love that you used 5 different sports! Well done!
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

Magna wrote:
Vanya wrote:I don't know how that helps. Noah is described as doing specific things too; do you believe he really built an ark and fit all the animals of the day in it?
I'm not intending to debate, just clarify one point, which is that "no evidence" =/= "evidence I don't find convincing" (or "no evidence to corroborate the evidence I find unconvincing").

It's a common enough error, but it's also sometimes said out of politeness by people who know it's not true. The police sometimes say it, for example, when someone makes a report that they don't find credible.
jfrumkin
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by jfrumkin »

TomKBaltimoreBoy wrote:
OldSchoolChamp wrote:
I suspect being from Maryland or New York would help, too...

My father once described lacrosse as a sport so crazy "it gave Jim Brown a stick and told him to swing it when other people were around -- like he needed a stick." Pretty fair description of both the game and Brown's public persona.
That's great!
Twitter: @jfrumkin