The Board is Moving!

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

bpmod
Rank

Re: The Board is Moving!

Post by bpmod »

UPDATE

I have fixed the old address with a message pointing to the new address. And I have put the disclaimer from the old welcome page on the bottom of the main page.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

A big "huzzah" to Brian for all of his efforts to ensconce JBoard in its new, comfy home! It's like we never even left. Plus, with the new, simpler URL that goes directly to the Game Discussions, search engines should find us much more easily. As a result, we'll hopefully continue to get new players coming here. Also, with the redirection from the old URLs, I don't think anyone can get lost trying to find their way back here, so we should be in good shape. So far, it has also seemed like the board has loaded quicker, so I think we should be very pleased with the changes.
jpahk
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by jpahk »

yup, seems much faster for me now. huzzah!
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

Agree at faster, but darn if I can find where to click so it only loads the new posts since my last visit. Little help?
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Paucle wrote:Agree at faster, but darn if I can find where to click so it only loads the new posts since my last visit. Little help?
To the left of the topic title is a little orange rectangle with an arrow in the bottom right corner. ALTHOUGH, if you had gotten logged out and haven't logged back in, those won't show up. I'm betting that's what happened to you.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Paucle wrote:Agree at faster, but darn if I can find where to click so it only loads the new posts since my last visit. Little help?
That's easy. The same as it was before. The little icon beside the thread title (to the left). Click on that and it will take you to the first unread post. It took me a while to find it too, so now it's easy. One caveat though: if you have read those posts while not logged in, it will take you to the next post that was made after you last read that thread while you were logged in. (I really did try to find a more succinct way to say that.) Also, by the same token, while not logged in, those little icons will not show at all.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

alietr wrote:
To the left of the topic title is a little orange rectangle with an arrow in the bottom right corner. ALTHOUGH, if you had gotten logged out and haven't logged back in, those won't show up. I'm betting that's what happened to you.
I just changed the URL in my bookmark directly. It's http://www.jboard.tv/search.php?search_id=newposts now
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

Deep appreciation for the input, all, but that icon I had no problem finding.
Before, when I entered the "Game Discussions" board, I was given the options of "View new posts" and "View unread posts." That's what I was (and still am) seeking.

I'll try Volante's method!
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

OK. I think I know now what you are referencing, but just to clarify: Was that link on the Game Discussions board, or on the main index (of all the different fora) page?

If the latter, we took that page out completely, but I can (that is I have the ability to) put onto the Game Discussions page whatever is missing (and deemed important*) from the index page.

Thanks

Brian

*ETA: I do not decide what is important. If there is something that you think is needed, it might be a good idea to mention it, and I will take my direction from the boss. If you convince him it's a necessary change, I can do it. :ugeek:

Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

enh, this way works almost as well (Volante's tip).
And I disagree with how much I watch Jeopardy! Not possible!
SkoolRN
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by SkoolRN »

Yay! This was a piece of cake. Thanks guys for making it so easy.
"Lefthanders have more enthusiasm for life. They sleep on the wrong side of the bed and their head gets more stagnant on that side."
Casey Stengel.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

OK. If you see any wonkiness, it's probably me adding mods and tweaking things. I am attempting (at alietr's request) to add some of the content that was on the original index page (not the welcome landing page, but the one with the list of forums (fora?)). Since we have only one forum (and therefore that page wouldn't change much, if at all), we decided to do away with it and land directly on the viewforum page. Some of the things that were on the index page have been intentionally left out, some have been successfully copied over, and some... well, they're being a little stubborn.

If anything looks glaringly 'off' and doesn't right itself after a while, shake me and see if I'm awake; it might be something that I haven't noticed. One main issue that I have been dealing with is the different views depending on whether or not you are logged in, and even what your role is when logged in. So, there is always a chance that you might see a completely different view from what I thought was correct.

Also, there is really a lot of flexibility as to how the pages are set up and what can be displayed on any given page. So make suggestions, and we can discuss any changes that the users overall might want.

Thank you for all your help.

Brian

alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Since it seems like there weren't any problems, I am unpinning this thread and will allow it to move down the list in a natural fashion.
Bob78164
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Bob78164 »

Is it possible to allow users to choose views other than subsilver? I've never been a big fan of the appearance of this skin. --Bob
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Yeah, Bob, I know the Bored offers choices of skins, but the possible problem with that is some of the mods will then need to be made for each individual skin. I don't think that's a big deal at present, but it might be if we do a lot more. I'm not opposed to offering additional ones, but I will have to get input on this and ponder (again, it's getting into areas where I don't necessarily have the highest level of expertise yet).
Budphrey
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Budphrey »

alietr wrote:Since it seems like there weren't any problems, I am unpinning this thread and will allow it to move down the list in a natural fashion.
A well-deserved moment of triumph. <thunderous applause>
Poo-tee-weet? So it goes.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

See, Andy, I told you we shoulda kept it down for a while longer... Make them think that it was a difficult & arduous process...

No applause, thank you... Just throw money! :mrgreen:

Brian

ETA> Bob: We're working on your problem; we'll get back to you soon. (But don't try to call us we'll be in a meeting every afternoon for a year maybe longer keep in touch thanks for dropping by and have a nice day!)

dmleach
Damn Jeopardy! Hooligan

Post by dmleach »

bpmod wrote:We're working on your problem; we'll get back to you soon. (But don't try to call us we'll be in a meeting every afternoon for a year maybe longer keep in touch thanks for dropping by and have a nice day!)
Why don't you leave a message with my girl or have lunch with your machine?