Monday, September 15, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, September 15, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6896, 2014-09-15

First game of Season 31.
New title graphics.
Alex re-grows his mustache.

CONTESTANTS
Steve Lozano, a naval flight officer from Virginia Beach, Virginia
Elizabeth Williams, a business research librarian from Washington, D.C.
Winston Nguyen, a health aide from New York, New York (whose 1-day cash winnings total $10,067)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. And thank you, ladies and gentlemen, and welcome as Jeopardy! begins its 31st season on the air. Hope you all enjoyed the past six weeks in which we replayed some of our special tournaments from last season. Because I had nothing to do in those six weeks, I regrew this.

[Points to mustache]

[Laughter]

Alex: But whether I get to keep it or not depends on all of you. So, love it, hate it? Let us know what you think via Facebook or twitter, and we'll make a decision in the next few weeks. All right, we have a champion who's been waiting over six weeks to defend. So, Winston, nice to see you again. And good luck to you, Elizabeth and Steve. Let's go to work. The Jeopardy! Round comes first. And here are the categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
THE ROOSEVELTS: AN INTIMATE HISTORY (2/5) (Alex: And each day this week on PBS, Ken Burns' new series about the Roosevelts will air, [*].)
DOUBLE TALK (5/5)
STATES THAT FLOW TOGETHER (2/5, including 1 correct Daily Double) (Alex: Each correct response will be two states. The last letter of one state will be the first letter of the adjoining state.)
2 KINDS OF "ESQUE" (3/5)
CLOWNS (5/5)
THOSE ARE SOME BIG SHOES (3/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Elizabeth: 9 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 0 W
Winston: 6 R, 0 W
Steve: 5 R, 3 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 10
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $6,600

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Winston: $3,000
Elizabeth: $2,000
Steve: -$200

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Some years ago, I flew with the Blue Angels. They fly F-18s. Steve Lozano flies in F-18s also in the same position that I enjoyed--the backseat.

Steve: That's correct. An F-18 --

Alex: Which means you do what?

Steve: It's an F-18F Super Hornet squadron out of N.A.S. Oceania, Virginia Beach. I do communication, navigation, operate various sensors, and then work with the pilot to employ weapons if needed.

Alex: Now, the F-18 has been around for quite some time, hasn't it?

Steve: It has. The F-18 goes back to, I think, the '80s and '70s, when it was starting to be developed. But the F-18F, the E/F Super Hornet, is a little bit more recent. It came out in the 2000s.

Alex: Yeah, you guys keep upgrading it.

Steve: Yeah.

Alex: All right, Elizabeth Williams is from Washington, D.C., and she has, what is it? Original linguistic personification? I don't even know what that means.

Elizabeth: I picture numbers as having very detailed personalities.

Alex: What are the best numbers?

Elizabeth: Oh, 6 is my favorite. He's very mischievous.

[Laughter]

Elizabeth: And 9 is very stern.

Alex: Okay.

Elizabeth: And he has a mustache like you.

Alex: Oh, hello. All righty.

Alex: Winston Nguyen is a health aide from New York, also a delegate at the Democratic National Convention in what year?

Winston: 2008.

Alex: And what happened?

Winston: I got there late at night, and I had not booked a room. I was gonna meet up with some friends and, you know, try to split a room with someone. But it was very late. No one was there. So I decided that I would--I saw a skirted table that was set up for registration the next day, and I figured, "I would probably fit under this." So I took my bag as a little pillow, and I slept under the skirted table. I woke up bright and early and was first in line.

[Laughter]

Alex: Good for you.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Elizabeth found the Daily Double on the 29th clue. Winston had $3,800, Elizabeth had $4,200, and Steve was at $2,000. Elizabeth wagered $2,000.

STATES THAT FLOW TOGETHER $800: This big land buy named for one also got us the other

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
STATES THAT FLOW TOGETHER $200: One has St. Louis, the other has East St. Louis
(Steve: What is Kansas and Missouri?)
---
(Alex: The last letter of [*], the first letter of [*].)

STATES THAT FLOW TOGETHER $400: Hoover Dam is on their border

2 KINDS OF "ESQUE" $800: Solid term suggesting massive, majestic beauty, or referring to Christ the Redemer

2 KINDS OF "ESQUE" $1000: It refers specifically to an author who died in 1924, or broadly to senseless, menacing complexity

THE ROOSEVELTS: AN INTIMATE HISTORY $400: Eleanor's triumph, passage of the UDHR, got her the first standing ovation for a single delegate in this organization's history
(Alex: Universal Declaration of Human Rights, standing ovation at [*].)

THE ROOSEVELTS: AN INTIMATE HISTORY $600: On accepting the 1932 nomination for president, FDR said, "I pledge you, I pledge myself to a" this "for the American people"

THOSE ARE SOME BIG SHOES $200: In 1990 John Major was no longer minor as he succeeded this towering British prime minister
(Alex: The Iron Lady, [*].

THOSE ARE SOME BIG SHOES $1000: After filling Ted Kennedy's shoes in Mass., this man decided to try out Jeanne Shaheen's senatorial ones in New Hampshire

THE ROOSEVELTS: AN INTIMATE HISTORY $1000: Before her death in 1962, Eleanor made a final visit to the old family summer home on this Canadian island
(Alex: And that is [*]. So it's a good thing Ken Burns is airing this series. We'll learn about the Roosevelts.)

STATES THAT FLOW TOGETHER $1000: One has Rocky Mountain National Park, one has Cherokee National Park
(Steve: What is Colorado? Oh. What is Colorado and Wyoming?)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Elizabeth: $6,200
Winston: $3,800
Steve: $1,000
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Monday, September 15, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
THE HUNT IS ON! (4/5)
NO. 1 SONGS (4/5)
FLAT THINGS (3/5)
BRIT BITS (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
MEMOIRS OF THE WORKING LIFE (1/3)
"C" TO "C" (3/5, including 1 missed Daily Double) (Alex: Each correct response will begin with the letter "C" and end with a "C".)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Winston: 7 R, 1 W (including 1 DD)
Elizabeth: 6 R (including 1 rebound), 0 W
Steve: 6 R (including 1 DD), 3 W

Clues revealed: 28
Triple Stumpers: 8
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $11,200

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Winston snagged the next Daily Double on the 8th clue. Winston had $7,400, Elizabeth had $6,200, and Steve was at $1,400. Winston wagered $2,000.

"C" TO "C" $1200: It's distilled from white wine & is named for a city in western France
(Winston: [No response].)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Steve who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 13th clue. Winston had $5,400, Elizabeth had $6,600, and Steve was at $3,800. Steve wagered $1,800.

BRIT BITS $1200: In 1613 a cannon spark during a performance of "Henry VIII" set this theater ablaze & it burned to the ground

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
THE HUNT IS ON! $1600: Haliaeetus leucocephalus, this big American bird, is known to bully osprey off their catches
(Steve: What is a turkey buzzard?)

"C" TO "C" $2000: This era of geologic time includes the Tertiary & Quaternary periods

BRIT BITS $1600: During World War I this sister ship of the Lusitania was used to transport troops & as a hospital ship

FLAT THINGS $1600: Published in 1935, it's named for a district once near Monterey

FLAT THINGS $2000: From Hindi for "flat" comes the 7-letter name of this unleavened bread of India

NO. 1 SONGS $400: In 2013 & 2014 this rapper had a monster hit with "The Monster", featuring Rihanna
(Steve: Who is Kanye West?)

MEMOIRS OF THE WORKING LIFE $800: "All Creatures Great and Small launched a series on James Herriot's many year in this profession

MEMOIRS OF THE WORKING LIFE $1200: "Born Standing Up" is this man's story of bursting onto the comedy scene in the 1970s, white suit & all
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Elizabeth: $13,400
Winston: $7,000
Steve: $6,000

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
AUTHORS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Crush for first place.
Elizabeth: Wager $601 to cover Winston, but no more than $1,399 so as not to fall behind Steve's doubled score.
Winston: You have the hope of surpassing Elizabeth if you come up with the correct response. Bet at least $6,401 to force Elizabeth to wager to win while also protecting your position from being usurped by Steve.
Steve: Unfortunately, your score is less than the difference between the scores of the first and second place players, so unless they both blunder, you're competing for second place and have no hopes of first. Wager as much as you desire, but remember, you'll have better chances of advancing to second place if you have a larger sum left over on a Triple Stumper.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In 1937 his sister said he had “hats of every description” which he would use as a “foundation of his next book”

FINAL SCORES
Steve: $6,000 - $5,000 = $1,000 (Who is ?) (2nd place: $2,000)
Winston: $7,000 - $6,998 = $2 (Who is I’m sorry, Claire) (3rd place: $1,000)
Elizabeth: $13,400 - $600 = $12,800 (Who is someone who’s nev) (New champion: $12,800)
(Alex: Now, if you were able to remember that he wrote a book called "The 500 Hats of Bartholomew Cubbins", it would have helped you immensely.)
---
[Alex interprets Steve's response as "Who is Z".]
(Elizabeth: Who is someone who's never been in my kitchen? That's what I was going for.)
(Alex: Good for humor, but not good for a correct response.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $17,800

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Elizabeth: $12,200, 15 R (including 1 DD), 0 W
Winston: $9,000, 13 R, 1 W (including 1 DD)
Steve: $5,400, 11 R (including 1 DD), 6 W
Combined Coryat: $26,600

BATTING AVERAGES
Elizabeth: 15/59 = .254
Winston: 13/59 = .220
Steve: 11/59 = .186
Team: 39/63 = .619

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
2 KINDS OF "ESQUE" $400: Pertaining to an Italian Renaissance painter, or in a very different mood, to TV's Sally Jessy
(Steve: What is Romanesque?)
---
(Alex: Yes, Sally Jessy Raphael.)

THE ROOSEVELTS: AN INTIMATE HISTORY $200: On April 25, 1865, 6-year-old Teddy watched from a window as this man's funeral procession moved through Manhattan

THE ROOSEVELTS: AN INTIMATE HISTORY $800: Referring to this volunteer regiment & their victorious charge in Cuba, Teddy called it "the great day of my life"

THE HUNT IS ON! $1200: (Jimmy of the Clue Crew shows a video on the monitor.) The grasshopper mouse is immune to the scorpion stings because these specialized cells act as a kind of gatekeeper by not sending the news of pain to the brain

THE HUNT IS ON! $2000: (Sarah of the Clue Crew shows a video on the monitor.) Scientists who studied foxes hunting in the snow found that, when the mammals align themselves properly with this field, they have a 73% chance of catching prey

BRIT BITS $400: Now played throughout the world, it's often called England's national summer sport

NO. 1 SONGS $1200: In 1971 this soulful man followed up "Tired Of Being Alone" with the No. 1 hit "Let's Stay Together"
(Steve: Who is Marvin Gaye?)
---
(Alex: With less than a minute now.)

CORRECT RESPONSES
Louisiana and Arkansas
Missouri and Illinois
Nevada and Arizona
statuesque
Kafkaesque
the United Nations
a New Deal
Margaret Thatcher
Scott Brown
Campobello
Colorado and Oklahoma
cognac
The Globe
the bald eagle
the Cenozoic
the Mauretania
Tortilla Flat
chapati
Eminem
a veterinarian
Steve Martin
Dr. Seuss
Raphaelesque
Abraham Lincoln
the Rough Riders
neurons
a magnetic field
cricket
Al Green
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

Authors
In 1937 his sister said he had "hats of every description" which he would use as a "foundation of his next book".

Spoiler
Who is Dr. Seuss? Steve had no guess; Winston said "I'm sorry, Claire"; Elizabeth said "Who is someone who's never..."

Elizabeth Williams: $13,400-$600=$12,800...now a 1-day champion with $12,800
Winston Nguyen: $7,000-$6,998=$2
Steve Lozano: $6,000-$5,000=$1,000
Last edited by jeff6286 on Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

Whoo hooo!! I've missed these.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Not a good start to the season. Very ugly misses all around.

I had Seuss for FJ, but thought the date was too early for him and changed it to Hemingway for no real reason other than I am stupid.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Bamaman wrote:Not a good start to the season. Very ugly misses all around.

I had Seuss for FJ, but thought the date was too early for him and changed it to Hemingway for no real reason other than I am stupid.
Similar here. Immediately thought of "Cat in the Hat", actually, but then thought that 1937 was way too early for Seuss (had I not noticed the date on second reading, I'd have had no problem with Seuss), I thought for sure that Seuss wasn't doing his kids book thing until after his stint as a cartoonist of WWII propaganda. (I forget what I wrote down, but I know for sure it was way more wrong than yours.)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
LeFlaneur
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by LeFlaneur »

Out of 58 clues that were revealed I had 13 Triple Stumps correct. Nearly all of them were clues for old people like myself. Went with John Steinbeck for FJ. Wife said Dr. Suess. See rule #1: Always listen to wife. :oops:
Le Flaneur
jpr281
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jpr281 »

PlayerWM86
Contributor

Post by PlayerWM86 »

Here's to (hopefully) A LOT of superchamps in Season 31! After Arthur Chu and Julia Collins (is it too early to be thinking about the Tournament of Champions?) nearly cleaned Sony out with their constant winning of games last season, I'm ready to expect more of the same this season. And, like last season, I'm going to start watching more J! episodes in full.
Avid J! watcher since 1989 & failing at J! video games since 1995.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Yes, Trebek, you still look great with the 'stache.

NHO Hush Hush or Baden Baden.

What the heck happened in the first two in States? I easily picked up the Lach Trash on MO/IL and NV/AZ. I then got hung up on $600. "Okay, King was from Alabama, but what borders it? FL, GA, MS, TN, none of those end in A. Argh, I know I'm missing something, what is it what is it what is it?!" On the last two, I had Louisiana but not Arkansas (panicked and couldn't think of what bordered LA), and Colorado but not Oklahoma since I didn't think the panhandle went that far out.

Further Lach Trash on "Statuesque", but -1/5 in Shoes. Somehow got Perón and Marcos mixed up. How'd I manage THAT one?!

What was supposed to lead to piranha on Hunt for $400? I was stunned when it wasn't shark, and ended up clamming the next four to get a rare goose-egg in an animal category.

Oddly, Creed was my only get in #1 songs. I knew Eminem but couldn't pull it in time, thought somehow that the Carpenters were husband-and-wife, and have NHO Al Green or UB40.

Got Lach Trash on "cognac" as well. NHO "cocentric" that I know of, and had "cenozoic" but was afraid of butchering it.

Hats of every description -> Bartholomew Cubbins -> Dr. Seuss. Got it before he finished the clue.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Sure ... NOW you give us Isabel Peron ...

Anywho
TenPoundHammer wrote:Got Lach Trash on "cognac" as well. NHO "cocentric" that I know of, and had "cenozoic" but was afraid of butchering it.
concentric

Hats of every description -> Bartholomew Cubbins -> Dr. Seuss. Got it before he finished the clue.
I got it through Cat in the Hat, even if it was the wrong book. Right for the wrong reason is still right. :)
UniquePerspective

Post by UniquePerspective »

25/58. Not my best start. Got final though.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

Brutal start to the season, especially that J! round. So much Lach trash that I lost count, just call me the garbage collector. Cognac, cenozoic, Thatcher (wtf???) and Kafkaesque were particularly egregious IMO. Maybe they were confused as to how they were supposed to answer those state clues (specific order, before & after style) but given their other misses, I'm not in a "benefit of the doubt" mood.

Instaget FJ, right author but for the wrong reason. How the eff did I forget about that book and settle on The Cat in the Hat (rough start for me too, I guess) :roll: Whatever, I'll take it.
jgamer
Valued Contributor

Post by jgamer »

Hooray for the start of the new season! I like Alex's mustache; he should keep it this time. I got the final.
heelsrule1988
Sports Jeopardy! Alum/VVL #19

Post by heelsrule1988 »

Elizabeth's story was... um... weird. :shock:
Bamaman wrote:Not a good start to the season. Very ugly misses all around.
Indeed. I picked up loads of trash... capped off by an FJ which I'm stunned was a triple stumper. I got it before the music even started.
econgator wrote:I got it through Cat in the Hat, even if it was the wrong book. Right for the wrong reason is still right. :)
Same here... but once I got it from that, I remembered the book in question.
Dr. J
Decade Battler and Mustache Maker

Post by Dr. J »

Can we talk (RIP Joan Rivers) about how awful that new DD graphic is?? Is it 1985?
cosmos

Post by cosmos »

My first thought was veterinarian, but I was too slow remembering the profession which is veterinary surgery. Then Alex gave the correct response as veterinarian so it didn't matter.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

The contestants seemed awfully out of practice. They left a lot of easy money on the board. I was whipping through TSs left and right. The adjacent states category was remarkably tough for them but very easy for me. The military man seemed too ready to guess blindly. The returning champ brought no gravitas with him from his prior win.

I think Alex will do what he wants about the 'stache regardless of what the "vote" is.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
BADuBois
Jeopardy! Champion... It's a Mystery!

Post by BADuBois »

Dr. J wrote:Can we talk (RIP Joan Rivers) about how awful that new DD graphic is?? Is it 1985?
Agreed... and my, what a slow clumsy game. Lots of missed questions that I couldn't believe were being missed.

And Dr. J, thanks for your contribution to getting Alex to return to his Mustache of Awesomeness...

FJ... no idea.

Hoping for better days for all...
Award-winning author of "My Short, Happy Life in 'Jeopardy!'"
http://tinyurl.com/btax4xp
nightreign
#TeamAlsoRans

Post by nightreign »

Ouch. Even I got a lot of Lach Trash (Nevada and Arizona, statuesque, UN, New Deal, Eminem), plus Final.
Digging Winston's outfit, though.

I like the new loading sequence. The Daily Double, not so much.