Tuesday, September 16, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, September 16, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6897, 2014-09-16

CONTESTANTS
Tessa Fleming, a high school history teacher from Mission Viejo, California
Bill Cossen, a Ph.D. candidate in history originally from Lexington, South Carolina
Elizabeth Williams, a business research librarian from Washington, D.C. (whose 1-day cash winnings total $12,800)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. Elizabeth Williams, our first champion of our new season. She would have wound up winning more money yesterday, but she and the other two players were done in by Theodor Geisel--better known as Dr. Seuss. Bill and Tessa are here to challenge today. We're delighted to welcome you, and good luck to all three of you. Here we go into the Jeopardy! Round. One Daily Double coming up in one of these categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
BRAND NAMES (4/5)
"B" + 3 (3/5) (Alex: Each correct response will begin with the letter "b" and be followed by three others.)
GHOSTBUSTERS (3/5) (Alex: The 30th anniversary Blu-ray DVD comes out today for [*].)
ANAGRAMMED BODIES OF WATER (4/5)
PLASTIC SURGERY (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
SHE'S HAD SOME WORK DONE (2/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Bill: 10 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Elizabeth: 7 R, 0 W
Tessa: 4 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 9
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $6,800

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Elizabeth: $1,600
Bill: $1,600
Tessa: $1,000

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Tessa Fleming's dad was a contestant on Jeopardy! many, many years ago, when I had darker hair and a thicker moustache. What was the year?

Tesa: 1988.

Alex: What did he win?

Tessa: He won $20,000 as a two-day champ, but more importantly for me, he won a year's supply of Junior Mints, which I ate every night while watching Jeopardy!

Alex: And your dad is in our audience today to cheer you on.

Tessa: He is today, yes. With no Junior Mints, though.

[Laughter]

Alex: All righty, good.

Alex: Bill Cossen, originally from Lexington, South Carolina, is a Ph.D. candidate in history, and in fact, you've written a couple of articles on history. What, particularly?

Bill: That's right. Both were on American Catholicism. The first was on antebellum Catholicism in the South, and the second was on clashes between Protestants and Catholics.

Alex: Okay, serious stuff. What's your next article gonna be about?

Bill: I don't know about the next article, but I ever get lucky enough to get tenure one day, I'd love to write a book on professional wrestling--a really serious history.

[Laughter]

Alex: You heard it here, folks. A serious history on professional wrestling. Gorgeous George. I remember him.

Alex: Elizabeth Williams is our champion. This is a young lady you want to get to know, folks, because she has correctly predicted the winner of the Super Bowl in how many of the last 15 Super Bowls?

Elizabeth: 14 of the last 15. One year, I abstained. It was Packers/Steelers.

Alex: Uh-huh. And do you make wagers on these events?

Elizabeth: I do not. I feel like somebody else should take advantage of this special power that I have.

[Laughter]

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Bill found the Daily Double on the 23rd clue. Elizabeth had $2,200, Bill had $2,800, and Tessa was at $800. Bill wagered $1,000.

PLASTIC SURGERY $800: This alliterative procedure is also called abdominoplasty
(Alex: Answer -- Daily Double.)
[applause]
(Alex: But, Bill, I have some bad news before we ask you to make your wager. I misheard you a few moments ago. You left the "s" off "Americans with Disabilities," so we have to take $1,200 away from you. You're now at $2,800 but still in the lead. How much you gonna put at risk?)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
SHE'S HAD SOME WORK DONE $200: The house is toastier since she had the Batt type of this installed in the attic

GHOSTBUSTERS $400: When Sigourney Weaver says it's time to do this to her baby, Bill Murray starts with "You're short"
(Alex: Time to [*]. "You're short. You're ugly, too.")
[Note: This exchange appears in Ghostbusters 2.]

GHOSTBUSTERS $1000: (Here's Sarah to wrap up the category.) Dan Aykroyd wanted it to be black, but because of all the night scenes, the 1959 Cadillac, known as "'this'-1," was painted white instead, and the rest is history
(Alex: [*] as in ectoplasm.)

"B" + 3 $600: This rope with weights attached is used in South America to catch cattle by entangling their legs

"B" + 3 $1000: A Scottish hillside
(Alex: Yon bonnie banks and yon bonnie [*]. B-r-a-e.)

BRAND NAMES $1000: A military parachute duffle inspired this brand of nylon totes with a French-sounding name
(Tessa: What is Longchamp?)

SHE'S HAD SOME WORK DONE $600: Grandma can now shower with ease since the bathroom became compliant with this act, the ADA
(Bill: What is the American with Disabilities Act?)
[Initially ruled correct; reversed before the Daily Double at clue 23.]

SHE'S HAD SOME WORK DONE $1000: For illumination inside & out, she added arc lamps & this other type of light that Noah would know well

ANAGRAMMED BODIES OF WATER $1000: A gulf:
Spin ear
(Alex: What is the world famous [*] Gulf?)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Bill: $5,800
Elizabeth: $3,200
Tessa: $800
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Tuesday, September 16, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
WHAT ARE YOU READING? (3/5)
BETTER KNOWN BY ONE NAME (4/5)
AFRICAN HISTORY (3/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
WORD ORIGINS (1/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
POP MUSIC (5/5)
WHO LET THE GODS OUT? (5/5) (Alex: Not the dogs.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Bill: 9 R (including 2 rebounds), 0 W
Elizabeth: 7 R, 4 W (including 2 DDs)
Tessa: 5 R, 2 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 7
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $11,200

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Elizabeth snagged the next Daily Double on the 12th clue. Elizabeth had $5,600, Bill had $10,600, and Tessa was at $2,800. Elizabeth made it a True Daily Double, wagering $5,600.

WORD ORIGINS $1200: It was coined by George Orwell & means the capacity to accept 2 contradictory ideas at the same time
(Elizabeth: What is doublespeak?)
(Alex: No. "What is [*]?" Not "speak". Boo hiss. You drop to $0. Go again.)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Elizabeth who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 30th clue. Elizabeth had $2,400, Bill had $15,000, and Tessa was at $2,800. Elizabeth wagered $1,000.

AFRICAN HISTORY $2000: This capital of South Africa's Northern Cape was founded after an 1871 diamond find; today it's a name for baby girls
(Alex: Nice place to visit--[*].)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
WORD ORIGINS $400: This profession is from the Greek for "star sailor"

WORD ORIGINS $1600: Partly from the Greek for "all", it once meant a complete set of arms & armor but now refers to a striking array
(Tessa: What is a plethora?)
(Elizabeth: What is a myriad?)

WORD ORIGINS $2000: This word for an autocratic leader is from the Greek for "lord, master"

WHAT ARE YOU READING? $1600: "Dark Places", by this author of "Gone Girl"

WHAT ARE YOU READING? $2000: "The Mermaid Chair", by this 3-named author

BETTER KNOWN BY ONE NAME $2000: This Pulitizer-winning editorial cartoonist drew up indictments of some powerful people

AFRICAN HISTORY $1600: In the 15th century the Mossi people established their capital at Ouagadougou on the upper reaches of this river

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Bill: $15,000 (lock game)
Tessa: $2,800
Elizabeth: $1,400

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
EUROPEAN CAPITALS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Lock for first place; lock-tie for second place.
Bill: Wager between $0 (venusian) and $9,399 (martian), and enjoy your victory.
Tessa: Wager $0 to guarantee second place.
Elizabeth: Risking everything might allow you to tie Tessa's score, but that won't win you second place because you're behind going into Final Jeopardy! Your best hope may be that Tessa does something stupid, like fruitlessly wager everything. Risking $0 or some other small amount might vault you into second place.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
At 200 miles, this capital of just over a million people is the continental capital closest to London

FINAL SCORES
Elizabeth: $1,400 + $1,200 = $2,600 (What is Brussels) (3rd place: $1,000)
Tessa: $2,800 + $0 = $2,800 (What is Brussells?) (2nd place: $2,000)
Bill: $15,000 - $0 = $15,000 (What is Amsterdam?) (New champion: $15,000)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $18,000

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Bill: $14,800, 19 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Elizabeth: $8,000, 14 R, 4 W (including 2 DDs)
Tessa: $2,800, 9 R, 3 W
Combined Coryat: $25,600

BATTING AVERAGES
Bill: 19/59 = .322
Elizabeth: 15/60 = .250
Tessa: 10/58 = .172
Team: 44/63 = .698

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
GHOSTBUSTERS $200: Dan Aykroyd called Slimer the ghost of this friend of his who was supposed to be in the first film but died in 1982

GHOSTBUSTERS $600: When asked to choose the form of the Traveler, Ray chooses the Stay Puft Man, who's made of this foodstuff

BRAND NAMES $600: This brand of cleaning product is represented by the cute little guy seen here

PLASTIC SURGERY $1000: Trichloroacetic acid, phenol & alphahydroxy acids are used to improve your skin in a "chemical" this
(Alex: Right, with less than a minute to go.)

WHO LET THE GODS OUT? $1200: (Kelly of the Clue Crew presents the clue from Cambodia.) Now called Ta Reach, or "royal ancestor", & found in the main entrance shrine, a statue of this god to whom Angkor Wat was originally dedicated may have once been located in the central shrine at the very top

WHO LET THE GODS OUT? $1600: Itzli was this culture's god of stone knives associated with sacrifices; he was a busy guy
(Elizabeth: Who are the Maya?)

POP MUSIC $2000: This group had some words for absentee dads:

"Father of mine, tell me where have you been/You know I just close my eyes, my whole world disappeared..."

BETTER KNOWN BY ONE NAME $800: The Academy, one of Greece's first schools that met regularly in a set place, was founded by him
(Tessa: Who is Socrates?)

BETTER KNOWN BY ONE NAME $1200: This young Kiwi singer put an "E" at the end of her stage name to make it more feminine
(Alex: Yes, with less than a minute to go.)

CORRECT RESPONSES
tummy tuck
insulation
put him down
Ecto
a bola
brae
LeSportsac
the Americans with Disabilities Act
a floodlight
Persian
doublethink
Kimberley
astronaut
panoply
tyrant
Gillian Flynn
Sue Monk Kidd
Herblock
the Volta
Brussels
(John) Belushi
marshmallow
Scrubbing Bubbles
a peel
Vishnu
the Aztec
Everclear
Plato
Lorde
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

European Capitals
At 200 miles, this capital of just over a million people is the continental capital closest to London.

Spoiler
What is Brussels? Bill said Amsterdam.

Bill Cossen: $15,000-$0=$15,000...now a 1-day champion with $15,000
Tessa Fleming: $2,800+$0=$2,800
Elizabeth Williams: $1,400+$1,200=$2,600
Last edited by jeff6286 on Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

We are just two days into the season and Alex has already spoiled a FJ clue from a previous day's show. We also had our first commercial as a category with the Ghostbusters blue ray being plugged.

Then we have our first bad penultimate wager. Her bet dropped her into a lock-tie trailer for second place. But a tie for second gives the money to the pre-FJ leader, which Tess clearly knew as she bet zero in FJ.

For the second day in a row, I had FJ right but switched to a wrong answer. This time it was Copengahgen, which is much further east than I thought.

Congrats to Bill on his win. I will miss Elizabeth and her stories. Yesterday she was into numerology and today she is picking Super Bowl winners. Loved Bill's reaction to her story today. Bill, can you give us a behind the scenes peek at other aspects of her personality?
UniquePerspective

Post by UniquePerspective »

Elizabeth, we need to talk about that $1200 wager in FJ.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought going for a lock tie if you're wrong isn't an awful play, though I guess 1k as opposed to a win makes a difference. Pleasantly surprised at Tess' $0 wager.

25 right again, a couple of bad categories in regular Jeopardy threw me off. Not my best start.

Also missed final. Knew it wasn't Paris like I felt would be a trap, but I (mistakingly) thought Oslo was further north enough to compensate.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

Yikes. That's all I got. Tomorrow will be better, because it almost has to be.

The car had a name? Hm. That's what happens when you haven't seen a movie in over 20 years, but I'll gladly take my 4/5.

Instaget FJ.
zakharov

Post by zakharov »

I have never seen Ghostbusters. Still managed 3/5. I'm calling that a win.

I also swept Pop Music. I have no idea how this was possible but I'm not complaining.

I will be kicking myself over this FJ, as I had Brussels but switched to Lisbon at the last second because I am bad at picturing maps in my head.
4-time pool swimmer - last audition June 2019
Follow me on Twitter @JakeMHS
jeopfansincebirth
Keeper of the All-Time Rankings

Post by jeopfansincebirth »

$13,050 for me on my Play Jeopardy iPhone app.

Bill had the game won even before the last Daily Double was revealed at the end of DJ!

So, JeopardyBill, may I begin by congratulating you on becoming the new champion! You made the Nittany Nation proud tonight with your victory.

The Nittany Nation will be tuning in again tomorrow as you defend your title. WE ARE!
Michael M.
"Keeper of the Rankings"
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

28 out of 60.

Brand: 2/5 "B": 3/5 Ghostbusters: 3/5 Anagram: 4/5 Plastic: 3/5 Work: 0/5
Reading: 1/5 Name: 3/5 African: 2/5 Word: 1/5 Pop: 3/5 (said Harry Chopin instead of Harry Chapin :x) Gods: 3/5

Stayed away from Paris on the final, but said Amsterdam instead.
BADuBois
Jeopardy! Champion... It's a Mystery!

Post by BADuBois »

Another bleh game, IMHO... lots of missed questions, and even my wife noticed Elizabeth's... quirky personality.

My FJ guess was Amsterdam. Ouch.

But I noticed what I thought was a *major* mistake by the clue writers. In the Ghostbusters category, I recall Alex saying something to the effect that it was done to mark its 30th anniversary and special Blu-Ray release (or something to that effect). Makes sense, since Ghostbusters was released in 1984.

But! One of the clues mentioned Bill Murray saying something snappy to Sigourney Weaver's character as she puts her son to bed...

.... which didn't take place in the first movie, but in its sequel in 1989.

Am I missing something?
Award-winning author of "My Short, Happy Life in 'Jeopardy!'"
http://tinyurl.com/btax4xp
zakharov

Post by zakharov »

There wasn't anything specifically nothing that the questions had to be about the first film, right? Or was there something in the clue itself?
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

BADuBois wrote:But! One of the clues mentioned Bill Murray saying something snappy to Sigourney Weaver's character as she puts her son to bed...

.... which didn't take place in the first movie, but in its sequel in 1989.

Am I missing something?
I believe that the set released today has both movies and is a celebration of their 30th and 25th anniversaries, respectively.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
dnbguy

Post by dnbguy »

Ugh, this was not a good night for me. Lowlights include "bolo" for "bola" and Cat Stevens for Harry Chapin. Ran the anagrams and went 3/5 on Ghostbusters despite never having seen it, though. Amsterdam was my FJ guess.
zakharov

Post by zakharov »

dnbguy wrote:Cat Stevens for Harry Chapin.
This one is common enough to make a Cracked article. Just because it has "cat" in the name...
Ryno

Post by Ryno »

Way to go, Bill. Good to see someone from the 2014 DC auditions. That was a tough neg on the ADA.

LT: Herblock, Volta

Got FJ, with my fingers crossed.
One time swimmer in the Jeopardy! pool
Leander

Post by Leander »

I guessed Amsterdam for FJ, figuring it was closer due to being close to the North Sea vs. the inland Brussels. Didn't realize it was further north.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Congratulations, Bill!
JeopardyBill
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by JeopardyBill »

Bamaman wrote:
Congrats to Bill on his win. I will miss Elizabeth and her stories. Yesterday she was into numerology and today she is picking Super Bowl winners. Loved Bill's reaction to her story today. Bill, can you give us a behind the scenes peek at other aspects of her personality?

My reaction was actually a really bad cough. California did not agree at all with my allergies!
JeopardyBill
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by JeopardyBill »

jeopfansincebirth wrote:$13,050 for me on my Play Jeopardy iPhone app.

Bill had the game won even before the last Daily Double was revealed at the end of DJ!

So, JeopardyBill, may I begin by congratulating you on becoming the new champion! You made the Nittany Nation proud tonight with your victory.

The Nittany Nation will be tuning in again tomorrow as you defend your title. WE ARE!
PENN STATE! Thank you for the kind words!
JeopardyBill
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by JeopardyBill »

Ryno wrote:Way to go, Bill. Good to see someone from the 2014 DC auditions. That was a tough neg on the ADA.
As soon as I completed my answer, I knew the judges were going to stop the game to penalize me. Learn from my mistake: speak clearly, and don't rush your responses!