Friday, September 19, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Friday, September 19, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6900, 2014-09-19

CONTESTANTS
Stephanie Bilyeu, a medical technologist from Champaign, Illinois
Matthew Price, a higher education administrator from East Providence, Rhode Island
Bill Cossen, a Ph.D. candidate in history originally from Lexington, South Carolina (whose 3-day cash winnings total $50,602)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny Gilbert. Hello, ladies and gentlemen.
Well, Jeopardy! has gotten off to a great start In our 31st season. And the same can be said for our champion, Bill, winning over $50,000 in just three appearances. Can he keep it going? To do that, he'll have to defeat
Stephanie and Matthew, and look at how serious they look.
Let's go to work, players. Here comes the "Jeopardy!" round. What are the categories that await you?

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
31 FLAVORS (5/5) (Alex: In honor of our 31 seasons.)
ROCKY ROAD (4/5)
DATE NUT (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
STRAWBERRY (4/5)
CHOCOLATE (5/5)
VANILLA (2/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Matthew: 11 R (including 2 rebounds), 1 W
Stephanie: 6 R (including 1 rebound), 0 W
Bill: 8 R (including 1 DD), 3 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 5
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $4,200

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Matthew: $4,200
Stephanie: $1,600
Bill: -$1,000

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Stephanie Bilyeu is a medical technologist who works at the smallest hospital In the state of Illinois. What are we talking about?
Stephanie: Well, we have 16 in-patient beds and 8 E.R. rooms for patients.
Alex: And in what city or town is this hospital?
Stephanie: A very small town called Monticello.
Alex: Okay. Is it a busy hospital even though it's small?
Stephanie: We do have a lot of out-patient services, so it can get kind of busy for us during the week.
Stephanie: All right.

Alex: Matthew Price is from Rhode Island.
Matthew: Yes, I am.
Alex: And sometimes in life, we get a job when we're young and it doesn't work out. Now, when you were 16, you got to be bat boy for the Pawtucket Red Sox?
Matthew: Yes, for the Pawtucket Red Sox. They're the AAA affiliate for the Boston Red Sox, so it's every kid growing up in Rhode Island, it's their dream job.
Alex: And you lasted...?
Matthew: Two days.
Alex: What happened?
Matthew: So, a bat boy has some responsibilities that he has to do during the course of the game. In between the top and bottom of the fifth, you have to go out and switch either first or third base, depending on which dugout
you're in. I forgot to do that. And I think the biggest faux pas I made was I went up to a batter who had just struck out, and I went to collect his bat. He had a few choice words for me. You're not supposed to do that.
Alex: No. What did they have you do after, as a secondary job?
Matthew: I spent the rest of the summer washing uniforms and selling hot dogs.
Alex: Okay.

Alex: Bill Cossen is our champion. He and his wife are expecting --your first child?
Bill: That's correct.
Alex: And you know the sex already?
Bill: We do. It's a baby girl. She's due at the end of the month.
Alex: And I will not put you on the spot and ask you for the name you have chosen. I know you've chosen one, but you promised your wife that you wouldn't reveal it.
Bill: Yeah, I have to stay tight-lipped on that.
Alex: Okay. Good.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Bill found the Daily Double on the 29th clue. Bill had $600, Matthew had $5,400, and Stephanie was at $2,800. Bill wagered $1,000.

DATE NUT $800: Its opening on July 27, 2012 was watched by an estimated 900 million people

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
ROCKY ROAD $1000: A Norwegian road with 11 hairpin bends has signs warning of these mythical beings

VANILLA $400: Change the last letter in the name of a Viking people to get this vanilla adjective
(Alex: Change the letter from "Norman".)

VANILLA $800: A comedian's scripted shtick, or a computer's set of instructions
(Matthew: What is a program?)

VANILLA $1000: Fabrics that come out of the production process not yet sorted for quality gave us this 4-word idiom

STRAWBERRY $1000: This redheaded actress has written several kids' books about a redhead named Freckleface Strawberry

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Matthew: $5,400
Stephanie: $2,800
Bill: $2,600
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Friday, September 19, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
YOU GOT THE MINE, I GOT THE SHAFT (4/5)
MUSIC TERMS (3/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
THE DOONESBURY GROUP (3/5)
COLLEGE ABROAD (5/5)
FILL IN THE SHAKESPEARE QUOTE (3/3, including 1 correct Daily Double)
DOLLAR "BIL" (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Bill: 11 R, 2 W
Matthew: 8 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W (including 1 DD)
Stephanie: 3 R (including 1 DD), 0 W

Clues revealed: 28
Triple Stumpers: 5
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $8,800

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Matthew snagged the next Daily Double on the 18th clue. Bill had $8,600, Matthew had $10,600, and Stephanie was at $3,600. Matthew wagered $1,200.

MUSIC TERMS $1200: Also called chimes, it's a set of tuned bells, usually set in a tower
(Matthew: What are...carrels?)
(Alex: Oh, you were on the right track. What is [*]? [*].)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Stephanie who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 28th clue. Bill had $11,400, Matthew had $11,400, and Stephanie was at $4,400. Stephanie made it a True Daily Double, wagering $4,400.

FILL IN THE SHAKESPEARE QUOTE $1200: "Two households, both alike in dignity, in fair ____, where we lay our scene"
(Stephanie: [*]? What is [*]?)
[End-of-round signal sounds.]

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
DOLLAR "BIL" $2000: Lodging for a soldier
(Bill: [no response])
(Alex: Oh.)
(Alex: What is [*]? It seems so strange, constantly saying "Bill", and then you have to come up with a response that has "Bil" in it. But you pick again right now.)

YOU GOT THE MINE, I GOT THE SHAFT $1600: Despite protests, a uranium mine is planned for near the south rim of this in the Colorado plateau
(Alex: The south rim of [*]; unless the environmentalists stop them.)

MUSIC TERMS $1600: P.S., it's the musical "P.S." heard here on the piano

THE DOONESBURY GROUP $1600: An ex-ambassador, this character opened the Baby Doc College of Offshore Medicine & the Nothing but Orphans Nonprofit
(Alex: Less than a minute to go now, Matthew.)

THE DOONESBURY GROUP $2000: This "California-American" called college "the best 9 years of my life" & won the Jack Ford medal for Best Tan

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Bill: $11,400
Matthew: $11,400
Stephanie: $8,800

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
MOVIES ABOUT MOVIES

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Tortoise and the hares.
Bill: You can't let Tortoise Stephanie or Hare Matthew catch up to you. Bet $11,400.
Matthew: Don't get caught napping. Wager all $11,400.
Stephanie: Slow and steady wins the race. Risk $2,601.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The title character of his 2013 film was played by David Tomlinson, who was actually seen only in clips from a 1964 film

FINAL SCORES
Stephanie: $8,800 + $8,000 = $16,800 (What is Saving Mr. Banks?) (2nd place: $2,000)
Matthew: $11,400 + $11,200 = $22,600 (What is Saving Mr. Banks?) (New champion: $22,600)
Bill: $11,400 - $11,001 = $399 (What is ?) (3rd place: $1,000)
(Alex: David Tomlinson played Mr. Banks in "Mary Poppins"; I am sure that helped you.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $13,000

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Matthew: $12,600, 19 R, 2 W (including 1 DD)
Bill: $11,200, 19 R (including 1 DD), 5 W
Stephanie: $5,600, 9 R (including 1 DD), 0 W
Combined Coryat: $29,400

BATTING AVERAGES
Matthew: 20/59 = .339
Bill: 19/59 = .322
Stephanie: 10/59 = .169
Team: 49/63 = .778

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
ROCKY ROAD $200: The rocky road seen here is in this country that has stoni--S-T-O-N-I--in its name

ROCKY ROAD $400: Apparently walking isn't forbidden in the Forbidden City within this capital

ROCKY ROAD $600: The cobblestone roads in this South American capital would be a tricky spot to tango

ROCKY ROAD $800: The Stelvio pass near Italy's borders with these 2 countries is one of the highest mountain roads in Europe
(Bill: What are France and Switzerland?)

31 FLAVORS $400: This Indiana Pacer wore number 31 in the NBA for 18 years

31 FLAVORS $800: A wall-sized work by this man titled "One: Number 31, 1950" is at MOMA in New York City

31 FLAVORS $1000: The 31st state to become part of the union, it was the second-largest in area for 109 years
(Bill: What is Texas?)

CHOCOLATE $600: Emeril's recipe for chocolate-covered turtles doesn't actually call for turtles but for these nuts
(Bill: What are walnuts?)
(Alex: [*] in the South.)

CHOCOLATE $1000: From the French meaning "no equal," they're the candies seen here

STRAWBERRY $800: This character is everybody's best friend in Berry Bitty City

YOU GOT THE MINE, I GOT THE SHAFT $800: (Sarah delivers the clue from the Homestake Mine in South Dakota.) In the late 1800s, miners delved deep into the Black Hills of South Dakota; creating the shafts and tunnels of the Homestake Mine, to bring this precious metal to the surface

COLLEGE ABROAD $1600: 3 facts on this school: Samuel Beckett went there; it was founded in 1592; it's Ireland's oldest university
(Bill: What is St. Andrews?)

CORRECT RESPONSES
the Summer Olympics (in London)
trolls
normal
routine
run of the mill
Julianne Moore
a carillon
Verona
a billet
the Grand Canyon
the pentatonic scale
Uncle Duke
Zonker Harris
"Saving Mr. Banks"
Estonia
Beijing
Buenos Aires
Switzerland & Austria
Reggie Miller
(Jackson) Pollock
California
pecans
nonpareils
Strawberry Shortcacke
gold
Trinity College
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

Movies About Movies
The title character of this 2013 film was played by David Tomlinson, who was actually seen only in clips from a 1964 film.

Spoiler
What is Saving Mr. Banks? Bill had no guess.

Bill Cossen: $11,400-$11,001=$399
Matthew Price: $11,200+$11,200=$22,400...now a 1-day champion with $22,400
Stephanie Bilyeu: $8,800+$8,000=$16,800
Last edited by jeff6286 on Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

A good comeback for Bill that put him in the lead going into FJ, unfortunately, it didn't work out in the end. I might have held back a few bucks to get me into FJ, but a smart bet by Stephanie on the late DD to give her a chance to win the game. A Teen Week category helped. Bad DD hunting by the guys there, a DD is much more likely to be in Shakespeare than in Doonesbury.

The new champ seems like a good guy (and a baseball fan), hope he can go on a run.

No chance for me on FJ.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Monticello, Illinois passes my "it has a McDonald's, it's not completely BFE" test.

Lach Trash: Routine, carillon

Vanilla for $200 was a poor analogy IMO. I wasn't getting it in a month since I somehow got snagged on "flavors? Nah, that doesn't make sense. Gasoline doesn't have flavors."

Thought that turtles were made with cashews, and NHO Serendipity. Surprised the latter wasn't a TS, as it seemed like an extremely locallized clue.

"Wait, there're more than just Vikings?"

What led to "coal" on Mine for $400, or especially "gold" on Mine for $800? How was I to know the latter wasn't silver or copper?

Also couldn't come up with Chile in time (although I am aware that mining is done there). With that rough start, I clammed on the bottom two since I thought they were comparatively too easy.

The writers love the Oxford/Cambridge coin-flip, don't they?

NHO "billable", "bilk", or "billet". Tough word category is tough.

Music Terms was tough. Overthought "aria" at $400, NHO "buffa", and I knew $1600 was a scale but couldn't come up with "pentatonic".

Couldn't think of any recent "movies about movies". I had nothing to go on here at all. Not even the Mary Poppins clue tipped me off. Who the bleep is Mr. Banks?!
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Couldn't get Private Ryan out of my head for about 15 seconds, but eventually came down on the right name.

Good run, Bill! Sad to see it end so soon.
lieph82

Post by lieph82 »

That might be the TPH-est TPH post of all time.
Abraxas

Post by Abraxas »

I got 31 clues correct, including "run of the mill." I found it amusing that Bill couldn't come up with "billet." One of the clue responses was nightreign's first name! I knew that the movie in FJ was the one about the making of "Mary Poppins," but I couldn't recall its title.
nightreign
#TeamAlsoRans

Post by nightreign »

I love it when my name comes up in clues.

Final was a total guess, but I didn't see what else it could be.
Ryno

Post by Ryno »

Checked Wikipedia and the full title of the old Beattles song is "Strawberry Fields Forever", hence the pause. The judges were nice to Stephanie.

LT: Julianne Moore, billet & Grand Canyon

Instaget FJ. Probably came from knowing that Mary Poppins was from 1964 & remembering the title of that movie though I did not get around to seeing it.
One time swimmer in the Jeopardy! pool
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

31/58

31 Flavors: 4 Rocky: 2 Date: 5 Straw: 4 Chocolate: 0 Vanilla: 0
Mine: 4 Music: 2 Doonesbury: 2 College: 3 Shakespeare: 3 "Bil": 2

Lach trash: "Grand Canyon", Julianne Moore"

I pre-called Saving Mr. Banks and answered correctly; the other one that I thought of was "Hitchcock", which centered around the making of Psycho.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

Amazing how many times Bill regained the lead after all the negs kept dropping him back. I thought Matthew was going to blow him out of the water the way he was ripping through the clues in the first segment.
Stephanie was just slow & steady to be in a good position at the FJ. I would have left $100 for security on that last DD. I'm glad she got it right, but I still call it a wagering gaff, since the end-of-round signal came immediately after her response.
Shepherd492

Post by Shepherd492 »

What exactly was the Viking clue? I remember reading it + the answer and thinking it was completely wrong, but I don't recall exactly what it was. Thanks for the help!

This was pretty easily the best game of the young season. Bill put up a great effort and Stephanie was also a solid player. I do agree that she should've left something though, there's nothing I dislike more than when players bet everything when they don't absolutely need to late in the DJ round/in FJ.
nlw44
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by nlw44 »

Shepherd492 wrote:What exactly was the Viking clue? I remember reading it + the answer and thinking it was completely wrong, but I don't recall exactly what it was. Thanks for the help!
I don't have the exact wording but it was about changing one letter of a Viking group to get a word to go with the rest of the category. Normal/Norman. The Normans were an evolution from Viking invaders of that area of continental Europe.
"And has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!"
He chortled in his joy.

Lewis Carroll, "Jabberwocky"
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Re: Friday, September 19, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS

Post by seaborgium »

TenPoundHammer wrote: What led to "coal" on Mine for $400
Fossil fuel that is mined.

I was stumped on FJ until I found myself able to picture a face for David Tomlinson, and then it was simple.
Steppenwolf
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Steppenwolf »

I was surprised they didn't allow 'program' as well as 'routine' in the VANILLA category. It fits both of the
criteria in the clue itself, so I assume it was because of the category name that it negged. But Alex didn't really
give any clarification that the answer had to be a synonym of vanilla. And a 'programmed response' could
perhaps loosely be considered to be a vanilla response.

I was 4 out of 4 on FJ so far this week, and was hoping for a (rare) 5/5 week. But couldn't even come up
with a reasonable answer for FJ.

The new champ seems to be pretty strong.... I would expect him to win at least a few more!
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Bamaman wrote: Bad DD hunting by the guys there, a DD is much more likely to be in Shakespeare than in Doonesbury.
And it sure as ____ won't be in Music Terms which already had one.

Bill busted his tail doing everything he could to dig out of a hole and somehow managed to have the lead entering the FJ! round. What did it get him? Watching both opponents get a clue when he could not make a guess. Tough way to end a nice run.

The run of the mill clue was one of those that easily could have been a Word & Phrase Origins FJ! clue. Thank you writers. I don't mind missing out on a regular clue value for a lesser evil.

Movies About Movies begged for some precalls. Mine were:

The Player
The Artist
Tropic Thunder (took me over a minute during the break to recall the title)
Singin' In The Rain (recalled the fuss about Singing vs. Singin')
Saving Mr. Banks (It was the last one that came to me, but I had an inkling before seeing the clue it would be that one.)

When I saw the clue I read it twice to make sure I processed correctly that it was the 2013 title wanted. It's a good movie and would have made my top 10 for Best Picture nominees. Especially since American Hustle got a nomination. Fine, the Disney name alone can create backlash and the constant flashbacks may not have taken well by all voters. For Emma Thompson not to get nominated? That was the crime against the movie.

If you have seen the movie then check out the Goofs on IMDb: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2140373/

And we think people here get too much into J! details?

David, if this one was not by you then you could have a buddy out there:

The blue Australian National Flag (Blue Ensign) is shown at the Allora fair in 1906. The mainly white Australian Federation Flag was, alongside the Union Flag, the most popular flag at public events from 1901 until the 1920s. In 1908 the Blue Ensign could only be flown from military buildings, and on other government buildings if no other flag was available. From the 1920s to 1950s, the most popular Australian flag was the Red Ensign. The Blue Ensign was not formally adopted as the Australian National Flag until 1954.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I must admit "Saving Mr. Banks" didn't even register for me. I'm sure I heard about it at the time, but I've got zero recollection of it.

Nice run by Bill and nice victory by Matthew. Loved his reaction when he won!
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

seaborgium wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote: What led to "coal" on Mine for $400
Fossil fuel that is mined.
Okay, and $800?
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

TenPoundHammer wrote: