Thursday, December 1, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Re: Thursday, December 1, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by OrangeSAM »

Instaget FJ!

It brought back to mind some stories about the Mills Brothers doing something similar.

From the Vocal Group Hall of Fame website:
Up to 1950 almost every Mills Brothers recording featured only a guitar behind their voices in harmony and/or imitating instruments. It was a gutsy move to imitate trumpets behind Louis Armstrong and his real trumpet (“Marie” and “The Old Folks at Home,” among others), and on one cut, “Caravan” (1938), they didn’t sing at all, just parodied their instruments.
This might be just as impressive as DWBH given the technology of recording equipment of the day.
OCSam
whoisalexjacob
2015 TOC'er

Post by whoisalexjacob »

alietr wrote:And while I'm thinking about it (even though no one's posted the FJ wagers), what possible sense did Gillian's wager make?
Many comments about a meaningless FJ (happ is not the same word as happy, seems obvious to me why they disallowed it). How could you question her fj wager and not her dd wager? The dd wager was infinitely more important, right?
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:they may have just negged it knowing the outcome wouldn't change either way.
In that case, then why didn't they accept it? Perhaps since it didn't matter either way, this was meant as a warning to future contestants about penmanship?
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
legendneverdies
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by legendneverdies »

vellore wrote:I appreciate the humour, not to mention the local colour. On FJ, the acapella hint suggested "Only You" (Flying Pickets version), but I'm fairly certain that wasn't a #1, and "only you" isn't much of a saying.
It was #1, as per Wikipedia, in the UK around XMas 1983. Don't think it hit the Hot 100 in the US though. The original Yaz song peaked at #67 in the US.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

mam418 wrote:
mrbungle wrote:Power of Pentatonic Scale - Demonstration by Bobby McFerrin
That is about the coolest thing ever. Love it!
Stefan needs to repost his links to his 4-part a capella Mario themes. Those are pretty damn cool, too.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

alietr wrote:Somebody able to post the screen capture?

It's not great, but you can see what we're on about.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

Closeup of just the response:

(I once saw Bobby McFerrin conducting a symphony orchestra -- which included some "singing along" by him. Very impressive, and a definite eye-opener for anyone who only knew him for "Don't Worry, Be Happy.")
HugoZ
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by HugoZ »

trainman wrote:Closeup of just the response:

(I once saw Bobby McFerrin conducting a symphony orchestra -- which included some "singing along" by him. Very impressive, and a definite eye-opener for anyone who only knew him for "Don't Worry, Be Happy.")
Frankly, even if he had finished off "happy", there's enough questionable characters there that they could rule "ineligibility due to illegibility".
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

trainman wrote:Closeup of just the response:

Yeah...it's pretty obvious to those familiar with the phrase that that's what he was going for, but "Donl wcrn be happ" just isn't going to pass muster.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
whoisalexjacob
2015 TOC'er

Post by whoisalexjacob »

Surprised the meaningless fj generates so much discussion and that multiple people went to the trouble of posting the screenshot. You guys are probably giving this more thought than the contestant, since he still got 2nd place, if I recall. He thought of the response too late and didn't have time to finish writing it. How obvious is that? Can't fathom why they disallowed it? You don't literally mean that, do you? Not to be all Scroogey, but bah humbug.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

omgwheelhouse wrote:Surprised the meaningless fj generates so much discussion and that multiple people went to the trouble of posting the screenshot. You guys are probably giving this more thought than the contestant, since he still got 2nd place, if I recall. He thought of the response too late and didn't have time to finish writing it. How obvious is that? Can't fathom why they disallowed it? You don't literally mean that, do you? Not to be all Scroogey, but bah humbug.
This is who we are.
HugoZ
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by HugoZ »

omgwheelhouse wrote:Surprised the meaningless fj generates so much discussion and that multiple people went to the trouble of posting the
screenshot.
I think multiple people were too lazy to remove the embedded link from the quote (myself included).
omgwheelhouse wrote:Not to be all Scroogey, but bah humbug.
Someone needs a Scooby snack in their stocking. :-)
JMonde

Post by JMonde »

vellore wrote:Any thoughts on Gillian's Sinclair Lewis/Upton Sinclair mishap? Did she realize she was wrong, and correct herself independently, or did she only correct herself based on negative sounds from Alex? If the former, should she have received the points? I didn't quite catch the sequence of events.

And that's two shows in a row of tough Canadian content--triple stumper on Gordie Howe yesterday, and neg on Canada Day today.
I think she knew the answer had "Sinclair" in it, but couldn't pull Upton Sinclair out before the incorrect one. She corrected herself after she got the incorrect from Alex. Even if she corrected independently, the judges always take the first answer.*

*Except in the case where you forget to phrase in the form of a question,..in this same episode Gillian guessed the correct month for an answer (may? march?) but forgot to phrase as a question, then immediately corrected it and she got the points - is this new? I haven't seen Jeopardy in some time but I distinctly remember people losing points for not phrasing as a question and someone else jumping on it. When did this rule change?
Procrastination_Xtravaganza
JMonde

Post by JMonde »

omgwheelhouse wrote:Surprised the meaningless fj generates so much discussion and that multiple people went to the trouble of posting the screenshot. You guys are probably giving this more thought than the contestant, since he still got 2nd place, if I recall. He thought of the response too late and didn't have time to finish writing it. How obvious is that? Can't fathom why they disallowed it? You don't literally mean that, do you? Not to be all Scroogey, but bah humbug.
I thought he intentionally made it illegible so that it could be almost any answer. "jkbsdk89yu48997y&*(^&*^jkb4u89y23" - looks like "Saponification of Ethyl Acetate" to me!
JMonde

Post by JMonde »

alietr wrote:And while I'm thinking about it (even though no one's posted the FJ wagers), what possible sense did Gillian's wager make?
She risked everything save $3 no? An almost double up and not quite zero(or $1) in case the others went for a true FJ? Made sense to me. Best shot she had. If only she wrote an answer,..Shes from Brooklyn, so I'm a fan nonetheless.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

JMonde wrote:
vellore wrote:*Except in the case where you forget to phrase in the form of a question,..in this same episode Gillian guessed the correct month for an answer (may? march?) but forgot to phrase as a question, then immediately corrected it and she got the points - is this new? I haven't seen Jeopardy in some time but I distinctly remember people losing points for not phrasing as a question and someone else jumping on it. When did this rule change?
If you correct yourself before Alex rules you wrong, you're OK. He was about to rule her wrong, but she fixed it before he did. And you get a warning in the first round, but negged in the second round.
legendneverdies
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by legendneverdies »

alietr wrote:If you correct yourself before Alex rules you wrong, you're OK. He was about to rule her wrong, but she fixed it before he did. And you get a warning in the first round, but negged in the second round.
First round exception: Getting negged without proper phrasing on the first round DD. It happened a few years ago.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Hey, man. You want to know why I'm here? I've got a perfectly good group of friends over in alt.fan.cecil-adams on the vastly superior Usenet. It's a group with proper threading where I can see all replies to my posts by tapping a single key, where I can move from one subject to the next one by tapping another key, where the command to show me my unread posts actually shows me only my unread posts.

But over there in that corner of the Usenet paradise known as alt.fan.cecil-adams, I used to post questions and thoughts about Jeopardy from time to time. Most of the other posters hadn't seen the episode I was asking about or couldn't recall the details or didn't have any constructive thoughts about wagering strategy or whatever. And there was always this one guy, a guy named rroger, who would respond to my nitpicky queries with something like, "I have a question. Why do you care?"

So I came here, where we do care, where the threading is non-existent, where I have to search for replies to my posts by skimming screen after screen, where moving from one subject to the next is clumsy at best, WHERE THE SMILIES ARE ANIMATED AND PEOPLE USE THEM ANYWAY, FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!!!!!! But at least we care about Jeopardy. So I will NOT have you calling our discussion "meaningless" and suggesting we are giving matters too much thought. If that's the way you feel, I suggest you make your way to alt.fan.cecil-adams and hang out with rroger. Good day to you, sir.
Spoiler
I said, "Good day"!
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

ha! That spoiler was classic!
whoisalexjacob
2015 TOC'er

Post by whoisalexjacob »

opusthepenguin wrote:
Hey, man. You want to know why I'm here? I've got a perfectly good group of friends over in alt.fan.cecil-adams on the vastly superior Usenet. It's a group with proper threading where I can see all replies to my posts by tapping a single key, where I can move from one subject to the next one by tapping another key, where the command to show me my unread posts actually shows me only my unread posts.

But over there in that corner of the Usenet paradise known as alt.fan.cecil-adams, I used to post questions and thoughts about Jeopardy from time to time. Most of the other posters hadn't seen the episode I was asking about or couldn't recall the details or didn't have any constructive thoughts about wagering strategy or whatever. And there was always this one guy, a guy named rroger, who would respond to my nitpicky queries with something like, "I have a question. Why do you care?"

So I came here, where we do care, where the threading is non-existent, where I have to search for replies to my posts by skimming screen after screen, where moving from one subject to the next is clumsy at best, WHERE THE SMILIES ARE ANIMATED AND PEOPLE USE THEM ANYWAY, FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!!!!!! But at least we care about Jeopardy. So I will NOT have you calling our discussion "meaningless" and suggesting we are giving matters too much thought. If that's the way you feel, I suggest you make your way to alt.fan.cecil-adams and hang out with rroger. Good day to you, sir.
Spoiler
I said, "Good day"!
Haha, okay. It's your prerogative to post what you like, as it is mine. I'm just surprised. Would rather discuss things that affected the outcome, or interesting clues, etc. That's just me, I guess.