TD 211: Its My Life

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

TheyCallMeMrKid
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

TD 211: Its My Life

Post by TheyCallMeMrKid »

Welcome to Think Different 211 , "IT’S MY LIFE".

First, enjoy our theme song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vx2u5uUu3DE

Q: Mr. Kid, is this TD all about Bon Jovi?
A: NO!

Q: Mr. Kid, what is the theme of this TD then?
A: This TD contains questions (loosely) themed around events in my life!

Q: Mr. Kid, do we need to know the name of your 6th grade math teacher?
A: Her name was Ms. Bachman, but NO!, you don't need to know that.

Q: Mr. Kid, will you have lots of questions about opera, African capitals and European Literature?
A: NO!

Q: Mr. Kid, will you have lots questions about sports, movies, music, TV and other pop culture type stuff?
A: Yes, yes I will.

Since this is my first TD, I'm trying to keep the rules as simple and as standard as possible.

THE RULES!

Since this is my first TD, I'm trying to keep the rules as simple and as standard as possible.

1. WINNING: The object of this game is to come up with the least popular answer for each question. The winner of this TD will be the person with the lowest combined total at the end.

2. SCORING: For each correct answer, you will receive an amount of points equal to the number of people who gave that same answer. For each incorrect answer, you will receive an amount of points equal to the SHEEP score (highest scoring correct answer) plus 5.

3. BONUS QUESTIONS: Bonus questions will appear throughout. Bonus questions will allow you to reduce your score. You do not have to get the main question right to be eligible for the bonus. No penalties for wrong answers on bonus questions.

4. ANSWERING OPTIONS: There are two optional bailouts if you don't know the answer to a question:
a) MOVE IT, BOOVIT: You may, but are not required to, "drop" 1 question by declaring MOVE IT BOOVIT, and move on to the next question! (This is something that my parents used to say to us when we weren’t moving fast enough for their liking.) Non-use of the MOVE IT, BOOVIT option will be worth 3 points off your score at the end.
b) JOIN THE FAMILY: You may, but are not required to, accept the score for the most popular answer on a question (the "sheep" answer) by declaring that you want to JOIN THE FAMILY. (I come from a big family, and we always welcomed guests for dinner, holidays, whatever! Come be part of the madness!) Non-use of the JOIN THE FAMILY option will be worth 1 point off your score at the end.

5. SOURCE OF ANSWERS: As always, NO CHEATING! All answers should come from your brain. Don't do any intentional outside research.

6. TIES: Ties will be broken by submission order.

7. OTHER MISC. RULES: Blank answers will be considered incorrect, as will second MOVE IT BOOVITs or second JOIN THE FAMILYs. Jeopardy! rules apply for names. I'll be flexible on titles, but they have to be pretty close in order to be considered correct. (Jeopardy! is quite inflexible when it comes to titles.) Spelling is not important as long as you're close.

8. SUBMISSION OF ANSWERS: Submit your answers by PM to me by Monday, October 6, 12:00PM CDT. Please do not post in this thread answers or anything that might give them away before the quiz closes! Don't check your answers or do any research until I send you an acknowledgment or your name is posted on the contestant list without a note to PM me. If you need a clarification to any question, then PM me. As necessary, I will post clarifications in the thread. You are free to change your answers at any time before the final deadline, so long as you have not looked up the answer. However, your submission time will be set to the time of your most recent update.

It would be greatly appreciated if you format your responses as follows, leading each line with your answers (or bonus answers):
1. Answer 1
2. Answer 2
2b. Bonus answer 2
3. Answer 3

Thanks for reading this far. Enjoy!
Sheepin' it real.
TheyCallMeMrKid

Re: TD 211: Its My Life

THE QUESTIONS

1. Born in 1969
It was the year of the moon landing, Super Bowl III, the miracle Mets and Woodstock. Bryan Adams wrote about the summer, even though he would’ve been only 9 years old at the time!

Name one of these people born in 1969. Please include the letter in your answer.
A. The NFL’s all-time leader in passing yards
B. The NFL’s all-time leader in rushing yards
C. This actor's early TV roles included orphan James Cooper on “Little House on the Prarie” and Derek Taylor on “Silver Spoons”.
D. This son of a famous comedian was shot and killed in 1997.
E. The last active Major League Baseball player born in the 1960s, this man retired in 2013.
F. The inventor of an open-source operating system kernel that shares a part of his name.
G. The first woman on Facebook’s board of directors.
H. A member of New Edition and the former husband of Whitney Houston.
I. The winner of the bronze medal at the 1992 Winter Olympics and the silver medal at the 1994 Winter Olympics in women’s figure skating.
J. The mayor of Toronto (and probably Jimmy Fallon’s favorite politician.)
K. "The Dog Whisperer”.
L. This actor appeared in the movies “Elf” and “Underdog”, but probably has achieved his greatest fame as an Emmy award winner in “Game of Thrones”.
M. This former mayor of Newark is now the junior U.S. Senator from New Jersey.
N. The daughter of the actor who plays Victor Kiriakis on "Days of Our Lives".

BONUS (1 pt reduction): The band Earth, Wind and Fire was formed in Chicago in 1969. In 1978, they had a hit called "September". What is the date mentioned in that song?

2. Meet Me in St. Louis
My hometown!

Name a movie in which Judy Garland appeared as an actress besides "Meet Me in St. Louis". (36 possible answers)

3. Small Town Indiana
Where I grew up: exploring creeks, climbing trees, playing wiffle ball with my friends, riding bikes around the neighborhood until it got dark.

I know we’ve had some trouble with this kind of question in the past few weeks, but I’m going to give it a shot anyway, thinking that because these are all in the same state, there will be less ambiguity.

Name one of the 15 largest cities or towns by population in the state of Indiana, per the 2010 US Census. (#16 is Greenwood, IN, population 49,791)

4. Small Town Indiana, Part 2
Another guy from a small town in Indiana: Johnny Cougar / John Cougar / John Cougar Mellencamp / John Mellencamp.

Name a Johnny Cougar/John Cougar/John Cougar Mellencamp/John Mellencamp single that made it into the Top 20 of the US Billboard Hot 100. (17 possible answers)

BONUS (1 pt reduction): One of these songs reached #1 on the US Billboard Hot 100. Which song was it?

5. Baseball Statistics
In my youth, I collected baseball cards. One of my favorite solitary activities was to peruse the backs of the cards and study the stats. The most interesting cards were the ones that were filled with tiny print due to the fact that the player had had a long and (usually) successful Major League career. Today, I get my baseball statistics by perusing baseball-reference.com.

Name a player who played in at least 24 Major League seasons according to baseball-reference.com. Note that the earliest player on this list started his career in 1871, so this list counts play in the American League, National League, Federal League, American Association, Players League, Union Association and National Association. (20 answers)

BONUS (1 pt reduction): 1980 was my peak baseball card collecting year. That year, I distinctly remember having 4 copies of Bob Montgomery's card, more than any other player in my collection. Bob Montgomery was a backup catcher for the Boston Red Sox that season, but what is Bob Montgomery’s significance in baseball history?

6. Math Camp
Yes, I am a nerd. I went to Math Camp.

Name the term that matches one of the following definitions. Please include the letter with your answer.
A. The side of a right triangle opposite the right angle.
B. The cosine of an angle divided by the sine of that angle.
C. The top part of a fraction.
D. The line segment that passes through a triangle's orthocenter, centroid and circumcenter.
E. A polyhedron with 12 faces.
F. The curve naturally formed by a slack rope or wire hanging between two fixed points.
G. The line segment from the center of a regular polygon to the midpoint of a side.
H. A triangle for which all 3 sides have different lengths.
I. A curve usually expressed in polar coordinates that resembles a figure eight.
J. The first coordinate in an ordered pair, e.g., the 5 in the ordered pair (5,-1).
K. Any system of geometry in which the parallel postulate does not hold.
L. In statistics, the measure of the "peakedness" of a distribution.
M. A triangle for which 2 of the 3 sides have the same length.
N. The abbreviated form of a Latin phrase that is often placed at the end of a mathematical proof.

7. Eight is Enough
I come from a big family; I have always liked TV shows about big families.

Name one of the actors who portrayed one of the Bradford children on “Eight is Enough” (referring to the regular run of the show. There were a few actor/actresses who appeared in the pilot, but not in the rest of the series. They don’t count here.) , OR Give the FIRST name of one of the sibling characters in the Bradford family.

BONUS(1 point reduction): Name the musical for which the actress who played Tom’s second wife Abby won a Tony for Best Featured Actress in a Musical.[/spoiler]

8. Saturday Night Live!
For pre-teens and teens with no social lives (like me), Saturday Night Live was a regular event. The longest running recurring sketch on SNL is Weekend Update, dating back to the very first SNL episode. It changed names a couple of times in the 80s, but it has persevered. Given the sketch's longevity, it is no surprise that there have been several anchors for the sketch. Sometimes there was a single anchor, sometimes there were two.

Name a cast member who was an anchor on Weekend Update, SNL Newsbreak or Saturday Night News for at least 1 episode, up through the 2013-14 season. (32 possible answers)

9. Pharmaceuticals
I have worked for 15 years for a major pharmaceutical manufacturer.

Name one of the world's top 15 pharmaceutical manufacturers based on sales of prescription medicines, including generic drugs.

10. European Vacation
The only times I have been to Europe have been for a couple of business trips to London. I've never traveled there for a vacation. The full extent of my vacationing was a few hours running around London one evening checking out as many landmarks as I could prior to my flight the next morning.

Identify one of the pictured London landmarks. Please include the letter of the picture with your answer.
A. Image B.Image C. Image
D. Image E. F. Image
G. Image H. Image I. Image
J. Image K. Image L. Image
M. Image N. Image

11. Amusement Parks
I now live very close to THE major amusement park in the St. Louis metro area. Almost within walking distance. Nice and convenient for the kids.

Name one of the 15 most popular amusement parks in the United States based on 2013 attendance. (Remember that there may be more than one park at a resort location. Each park is counted separately.)

BONUS (1 pt reduction): Name the most popular amusement park in the world outside of the US based on 2013 attendance.

12. My Jeopardy Quest
This brings us to the last stop of our trip down memory lane. I’ve been a very casual fan of Jeopardy for a long time, but because of work schedules did not watch the show on a regular basis. Several months ago, I decided that I wanted to put an effort into getting on Jeopardy. So I started DVRing the episodes, took the online test for the first time this year, and started looking for ways to improve my chances. While researching things like wagering strategy and most likely categories, I found JBoard, and I’ve been here since the spring of this year. I also drove 6 hours to audition for Sports Jeopardy this summer and made it into the Sports J! contestant pool.

So now, the last question. When I thought of asking this question, I couldn’t help but laugh as I imagined all of the varied reactions that I would get for it. From laughter, to anger, to confusion, to people tying themselves in knots figuring out how they were not going to cheat on this question and still function...well, I amused myself anyway. I hope I amuse a few of you. And for anyone who is really new to JBoard, I hope you’ve poked around a little before this quiz. Otherwise, it might be pretty tough.

Name one of the 15 user IDs indicted in the recent JBoard TD scandal.
Last edited by TheyCallMeMrKid on Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sheepin' it real.
TheyCallMeMrKid

Entries

1.MarkBarrett
2.Rackme32
3.Elendilpickle
4.TerrHeel
5.dnbguy
6.This Is Kirk!
7.Creed Bratton
8.brainpower
9.mitchparov
10.Ryno
11.gamawire
12.Blue Lion
13.JoshuaRQI
14.Peachbox
15.mennoknight
16.CheezeWhiz
17.Peggles
18.dott888
19.Tpmorrison
20.Abraxas
21.psgola
22.lieph82
23.goforthetie
24.nserven
25.ihavejeoprosy
26.Bamaman
27.Vanya
28.Magna
29.Turd Ferguson
30.sarah0114
31.jgamer
32.clprez
33.RandyG
34.geolawyerman
35.debramc
36.jepkid97
37.coolcah36
38.JeopardyMom
39.dhkendall
40.econgator
41.whatisbishkek
42.spell4yr
43.dougforte
44.jjwaymee
45.BobF
46.immaf
47.nightreign
48.Woppy T
49.Paulsaysthought
50.tjconn728
Last edited by TheyCallMeMrKid on Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:06 pm, edited 9 times in total.
Sheepin' it real.
TheyCallMeMrKid

Clarifications Go Here
Sheepin' it real.
RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Post by RandyG »

TheyCallMeMrKid wrote: Image
London? This building is on Remulak.
goforthetie
(username no longer operative)

Post by goforthetie »

TheyCallMeMrKid wrote: Name one of the 15 user IDs indicted in the recent JBoard TD scandal.
Perfect, just perfect. :D
Creed Bratton

Post by Creed Bratton »

I would have preferred a TD on Bon Jovi. 8-)
ihavejeoprosy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by ihavejeoprosy »

Name one of the 15 user IDs indicted in the recent JBoard TD scandal.
This is my wheelhouse !!!!
Please follow me on Twitter @Cinjeopardy
Total game show losings: $25 K
TheyCallMeMrKid

RandyG wrote:
TheyCallMeMrKid wrote: Image
London? This building is on Remulak.
Hmmm. I guess I need to get some hypnotherapy to determine if perhaps I was snatched up by aliens mid-flight, transported to Remulak, and returned with my memory almost completely wiped of the incident. :shock:
Sheepin' it real.
TheyCallMeMrKid

Creed Bratton wrote:I would have preferred a TD on Bon Jovi. 8-)
You're livin' on a prayer, man.
Sheepin' it real.
Peggles
Grand Exalted Queen of the Universe

Post by Peggles »

TheyCallMeMrKid wrote:
And that would be no bed of roses.
Creed Bratton

Post by Creed Bratton »

TheyCallMeMrKid wrote:
What do you expect? I'm a little runaway.
TheyCallMeMrKid

Keep those entries coming! Don't be intimidated--plenty of wrong answers have already been submitted! :lol:
Here's a bump to keep from falling to page 2:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAfthQTqj24
Sheepin' it real.
TheyCallMeMrKid

A little Friday night bump.
Sheepin' it real.
mennoknight

Post by mennoknight »

TheyCallMeMrKid wrote:A little Friday night bump.
Betcha Tico did the same thing.
I eat chicken. That's what I do.
TheyCallMeMrKid

Less than 24 hours until closing time!
Sheepin' it real.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

David: After it hits you that you did not PM your answers...Psst - You have at least one wrong.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

MarkBarrett wrote:David: After it hits you that you did not PM your answers...Psst - You have at least one wrong.
Hey, I just got back from a 48 hour campout in 0 degree weather with my Cub Troop, spending the entire weekend sleeping in a tent and being cooped up in the bush with a bunch of 8-10 year olds, I should be credited for not being so absent minded that I accidentally changed the jboard.tv homepage to be my answers!

Thanks for the heads up guys, I'll try to ensure it doesn't happen again. As for your postscript, if I have only one wrong this will be a new record of least number of wrong answers for me - I'm expecting at least 5 (Cuboree or no Cuboree) :)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
TheyCallMeMrKid

257 minutes until the deadline for this TD!

I plan to start posting results this evening. (There's only so much time one can spend on these things while at work!)
Sheepin' it real.
TheyCallMeMrKid

Announcing that the polls for this TD are officially CLOSED.

But wait! Here's some breaking news!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=butZyxI-PRs
Sheepin' it real.