Monday, October 6, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, October 6, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6911, 2014-10-06

CONTESTANTS
Linda Fraley, a retired physician from Santa Rosa, California
Terri Pous, a social media editor from New York, New York
Shawn Choe, an attorney from New York, New York (whose 2-day cash winnings total $26,400)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thanks, Johnny. Hi, folks. Another week of Jeopardy! begins today, with a returning champion who gets to face the ladies--Terri and Linda. Welcome aboard, and good luck to all three of you. Here we go. Coming up, the Jeopardy! Round, which today has these categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
VAMOS LA BRASIL (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
4-LETTER WORDS WITH 3 VOWELS (5/5)
AUTHORS' MUSEUMS (5/5)
LOOK CLOSER AT THE LOGO (5/5)
AN UNKNOWN NUMBER OF SONGS (2/5)
DRAWING THE "LINE" (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Terri: 13 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Shawn: 10 R (including 1 rebound), 0 W
Linda: 3 R, 0 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 4
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $3,000

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Shawn: $3,800
Terri: $3,800
Linda: $600

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Linda Fraley is a retired physician who once worked for Charles Schulz, right?

Linda: Yes, yes, I did.

Alex: He even took you out to dinner.

Linda: He did. We worked at the ice arena that he made in our hometown of Santa Rosa, and he was a very personable man. He came by the gift shop where I worked, and he invited the two of us out to dinner.

Alex: And is there a giant statue of the famous character close by?

Linda: Yes, we all love the Peanuts characters in Santa Rosa, and I purchased a Charlie Brown, which sits in my yard.

Alex: And how big is that statue?

Linda: He's 1,000 pounds.

Alex: Oh, hello. You must have been a big fan.

Alex: All right, Terri Pous from New York, a social media editor who was a docent at a famous home in Washington D.C., correct?

Terri: I was. it was the summer after my junior year of high school. I wanted what I thought was gonna be a fun job, and it was. So I applied to be a docent at Tudor Place, which was the home that belonged to George Washington's
step-granddaughter. It was continuously inhabited until the '60s, and so there was a ton of history in there, and I had a blast.

Alex: And now is it open to tourists?

Terri: Oh, yeah. It's still open. It's really beautiful. It's on a city block in Georgetown. Definitely worth a visit.

Alex: Okay. History. Very important for us.

Alex: Shawn Choe is our champion. He's a gutsy guy in many ways. He rented a motorcycle, but he can't even ride a bicycle. So what made you make that jump?

Shawn: Yes, I've never been able to ride a bike successfully, but I was on a trip with a bunch of high-school friends. Everyone else was renting motorcycles, so I said, "I can't ride a bike, but strap a gasoline motor onto it--what could possibly go wrong with that?"

Alex: And? Did anything go wrong?

Shawn: I got about 50 feet. [Laughter] So that's something.

Alex: That's pretty good.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Terri found the Daily Double on the 18th clue. Shawn had $3,800, Terri had $4,400, and Linda was at $600. Terri made it a True Daily Double, wagering $4,400.

VAMOS LA BRASIL $1000: Good luck getting across town! The metro area of this city west of Rio covers more than 3,000 square miles
(Alex: Yes. Largest city in Brazil.)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
VAMOS LA BRASIL $800: This venue of the 2014 World Cup final beat the previous most capacious stadium by 43,000 when it opened in 1950

AN UNKNOWN NUMBER OF SONGS $400: It took Sammy Hagar 16 hours to get to L.A.! "I Can't Drive _____"

AN UNKNOWN NUMBER OF SONGS $800: A quick Fixx: "Saved by _____"

AN UNKNOWN NUMBER OF SONGS $1000: Proofreader's nightmare Lynyrd Skynyrd: "Gimme _____ Steps"

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Terri: $9,200
Shawn: $6,200
Linda: $2,000
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Monday, October 6, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
19th CENTURY POLITICIANS (5/5)
KITCHEN ABBREV. (3/5)
ARCTIC ANIMALS (3/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
TIME FOR PLAN "B" (5/5)
WEARING LEATHER (5/5)
ATLAS CHAPS (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Terri: 13 R, 1 W (including 1 DD)
Linda: 8 R, 0 W
Shawn: 5 R (including 1 DD), 0 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 3
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $5,600

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Shawn snagged the next Daily Double on the 22nd clue. Shawn had $9,800, Terri had $17,200, and Linda was at $10,000. Shawn wagered $3,000.

ATLAS CHAPS $2000: This 16th century cartographer wasn't projecting when he coined the term "atlas" to describe a large book of maps

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Terri who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 29th clue. Shawn had $12,800, Terri had $23,600, and Linda was at $10,800. Terri wagered $10,000.

ARCTIC ANIMALS $1600: The fur of this largest weasel family land animal is used to trim parkas because it doesn't mat or freeze in the cold
(Terry: What is mink?)
(Alex: Oh, no. Mink is very small, but [*] is much larger.)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
KITCHEN ABBREV. $1600: ACV, this kind of vinegar, has lots of uses

KITCHEN ABBREV. $2000: Often used for high-priced, seasonal items, the menu abbreviation "A.Q." is short for this

ARCTIC ANIMALS $2000: The Eskimos of Alaska's North Slope call this beast an oomingmak, or "animal with skin like a beard"
(Alex: And once again, you people do not know about my favorite animal--[*].

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Terri: $13,600
Shawn: $12,800
Linda: $10,800

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
MUSIC

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Four-fifths for first place.
Terri: Wager $12,001 to cover Shawn.
Shawn: You're faced with a legitimate choice in strategy. You can either choose to cover Linda, hoping that you give the correct response and Terri doesn't, in which case you'll want to wager $8,801 to cover Linda's doubled score, but no more than $11,200 if you want to top Terri on a Triple Stumper; or bet up to $1,999 and win if both Terri and Linda miss Final.
Linda: You ought to try wagering between $2,001 and $6,800. This will top a $0 wager by Shawn while still beating Terri and Shawn on the Triple Stumper (should Terri wager to cover Shawn's doubled score and Shawn wager to cover your doubled score).

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
John Williams said his music for this event, not a film, tried to capture "the spirit of cooperation, of heroic achievement"

FINAL SCORES
Linda: $10,800 - $10,800 = $0 (What is the Bicentennial celebration) (3rd place: $1,000)
Shawn: $12,800 - $8,800 = $4,000 (What is the Bicentennial?) (2nd place: $2,000)
Terri: $13,600 + $10,001 = $23,601 (What is the Olympics?) (New champion: $23,601)
(Alex: It's a very famous fanfare, and it was used first in 1984.)
---
(Alex: Over to Terri now. She was leading--$13,600. She's smiling because if it isn't the Bicentennial, it must be the Olympics--[*] in Los Angeles. You are right.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $8,600

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Terri: $20,200, 26 R (including 1 DD), 2 W (including 1 DD)
Shawn: $11,800, 15 R (including 1 DD), 0 W
Linda: $10,800, 11 R, 0 W
Combined Coryat: $42,800

BATTING AVERAGES
Terri: 27/60 = .450
Shawn: 15/59 = .254
Linda: 11/58 = .190
Team: 53/63 = .841

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
DRAWING THE "LINE" $600: (Kelly.) For much of its length, the 180th meridian of longitude is tracked by this line that varies where it diverges to avoid land

LOOK CLOSER AT THE LOGO $200: Clear out your garage and see that happy half face is also a "G" in the logo of this charity

LOOK CLOSER AT THE LOGO $400: See the "M" and "B" within the mitt in the logo of this Major League Baseball team

LOOK CLOSER AT THE LOGO $600: The chocolates of this brand originated in a Swiss town, symbolized by the bear within the mountain

LOOK CLOSER AT THE LOGO $800: No sweat--this company's logo kind of forms a "U" and an "A"

LOOK CLOSER AT THE LOGO $1000: Here's a partial view of the logo for this event; you'll see the rest after you respond
(Alex: [*]. That is right)

4-LETTER WORDS WITH 3 VOWELS $1000: An orchestra player blows a 3-octave range on this
(Terri: What is a bassoon?)

19th CENTURY POLITICIANS $800: Seen here, "Who Stole the People's Money?" was an 1871 Thomas Nast cartoon, depicting the corruption of this New York City politician

CORRECT RESPONSES
Sao Paulo
the Maracana
Zero
Three
(Gerardus) Mercator
a wolverine
apple-cider vinegar
as quoted
the musk ox
1984 Olympic games
the International Date Line
Goodwill
the Milwaukee Brewers
Toblerone
Under Armour
the Tour de France
an oboe
Boss Tweed
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

Music
John Williams said his music for this event, not a film, tried to capture "the spirit of cooperation, of heroic achievement".

Spoiler
What is the 1984 L.A. Olympics? Terri just said "the Olympics", and Alex said it was "first" used in 1984, so apparently anything with Olympics in it would have been accepted, as long as nothing pre-1984 was referenced. Linda and Shawn both said the Bicentennial Celebration.

Terri Pous: $13,600+$10,001=$23,601...now a 1-day champion with $23,601
Shawn Choe: $12,800-$8,800=$4,000
Linda Fraley: $10,800-$10,800=$0
Last edited by jeff6286 on Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

Hubris! Pure, pure hubris was behind Terri's DD bet. There she stood at the edge of a runaway, but instead of betting small to either 1) capture a runaway, or 2) preserve her huge lead in case she was wrong, Terri blew her near runaway by her hubris. She finished DJ about the same as the other contestants.

Strange as it seems, it didn't matter in the outcome, because Terri's opponents knew even less about the oeuvre of John Williams than Terri did about betting strategy. FJ was an instaget for me, and Terri, who was fun to watch until that DD, gets to die another day.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
vreddy92
Contributor

Post by vreddy92 »

I respect large bets, and that was very interesting. Glad she got the money back, looking forward to seeing more of her.

I was amazed that 2/3 put Bicentennial, because that's not an event one thinks about. I thought FJ was an instaget, but I said the '96 Olympics, knowing that John Williams composed for those too.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Lach Trash: I Can't Drive 55, Gimme Three Steps, apple cider vinegar, wolverine.

Saved by Zero wa my only miss in the music category.

I'm amazed that Gisele Bündchen was not a TS. Unless you obsessively follow the modeling world, I have no idea how you'd ever come across her name.

0/5 in Brazil. I saw "celebrated its independence" and went "nope, not gonna know it" before I realized the language TOM, and couldn't pull Brasilia in time, but the other three were way past me.

"Oh, what instrument is four letters and three vowels? Tuba? That sounds right." DEEEEEERP. Even worse, that cost me the run.

====

"As quoted" was my only miss in Kitchen Abbreviations.

Wouldn't have gotten National Geographic in a million years in Atlas. Almost WAGged Rand McNally, which at least kept it fresh for $800.

Really sweated out "wolverine". Mustelidae are my favorite family of animals, but largest + land was completely gumming me up. Otters are large, but they're water animals. Mink are small. Badger? Maybe, but they seem to live in more moderate climates… dang it dang it dang it dang it, what am I missing… Got it just before Alex said it.

I completely whiff on a Detroit clue, then barely get "wolverine" in time. And to think I call myself a Michigander... :lol:

====

Blah blah blah, John Williams + event = Olympics. Knew it because some of his Olympics cues were also used on the 1996 Olympics games of Wheel of Fortune.

Was it just me, or did the shot of the clue on the screen seem oddly spaced? There was a lot less vertical room between "The spirit of" and "cooperation" than there usually is.
jpr281
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jpr281 »

Well, that was a very... daring wager by Terri at the end of Round 2. She was very fidgety behind the podium today, especially when trying to buzz in.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

TenPoundHammer wrote:I'm amazed that Gisele Bündchen was not a TS. Unless you obsessively follow the modeling world, I have no idea how you'd ever come across her name.
Married to this guy ... Tom Brady ... won a few football games or something. *shrug*

The Number category was odd ... I got the three they TS'd on and had no clue on the two they got.

FJ was an insta-guess, but I had nothing else.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

So first she makes a DD wager that only could've been worse if she wagered out of the lead then and there, then for FJ she doesn't bet enough to cover a double-up by Shawn...I'd be annoyed that she won, but something tells me this will correct itself tomorrow.

And that slam dunk was a single get. Yikes. That was a nice episode for the first 58 clues.
Abraxas

Post by Abraxas »

Terri looked great by going true DD in the first round and getting it. Then she looked bad by betting $10,000 on a DD in the second round and not getting it. I think she should've bet a lot less on the second DD, maybe a couple thousand. She won anyway by being the only getter of FJ. I thought FJ was very easy; it was instant for me. I got 29 clues correct including 55, zero, three, and apple cider vinegar.
eboettch
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by eboettch »

I figured it was the Olympics, but also thought I had to be more specific (the "this event" made me think they wanted a year) and ended up putting the 2012 Olympics Opening Ceremony, thinking it was probably a recent Games, and that he maybe was British. Uh, no.
NYCScribbler
Harbinger of the Outchange

Post by NYCScribbler »

eboettch wrote:I figured it was the Olympics, but also thought I had to be more specific (the "this event" made me think they wanted a year) and ended up putting the 2012 Olympics Opening Ceremony, thinking it was probably a recent Games, and that he maybe was British. Uh, no.

Yeah, that was my train of thought too.
"Who said anything about a horse?!"

"Also, how the bleep did I forget Russia even exists?!"- TPH
TaffieDoll
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by TaffieDoll »

What did Terri say her job was! A Dosin?
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Yes, she way overbet on that DD. A bet of $6,001 assures her of a lock even if Shawn gets the last clue. Her bet gave Shawn a chance to pass her.

I had no idea on that last clue, but I'd have rung in if I had been one of the trailers. Shawn takes the lead if he is right and is still in second if wrong. Linda gets a tie for second if she is right.

I thought the FJ was pointing toward some post-9/11 ceremony but I couldn't think of anything specific. The Olympics never came to me, so I was stuck in 1976.

Was this the second taping day? Did Linda see last week's episodes and know he was going to offer a tie?
billiej

Post by billiej »

NYCScribbler wrote:
eboettch wrote:I figured it was the Olympics, but also thought I had to be more specific (the "this event" made me think they wanted a year) and ended up putting the 2012 Olympics Opening Ceremony, thinking it was probably a recent Games, and that he maybe was British. Uh, no.

Yeah, that was my train of thought too.
Immediately said Olympics and struggled for the next 29 seconds wondering how specific you needed to be. Since I had no way of really pinpointing it, I stayed generic.
BADuBois
Jeopardy! Champion... It's a Mystery!

Post by BADuBois »

vreddy92 wrote:I respect large bets, and that was very interesting. Glad she got the money back, looking forward to seeing more of her.

I was amazed that 2/3 put Bicentennial, because that's not an event one thinks about. I thought FJ was an instaget, but I said the '96 Olympics, knowing that John Williams composed for those too.
Beat me to it. I was surprised the Bicentennial came up once, not to mention twice... and I wish Teri the best tomorrow. Funny thing, she seemed very upbeat and bubbly throughout, but when it came to the point where they credits roll and she was standing with the others, she looked very grim. Wonder what was going on there.
Award-winning author of "My Short, Happy Life in 'Jeopardy!'"
http://tinyurl.com/btax4xp
whatisbishkek

Post by whatisbishkek »

Terri seemed like a very strong player until that last DD bet. It will be interesting to see how she does tomorrow.

For some reason the Bicentennial was the first thing that entered my mind after the FJ clue was revealed, so I wasn't so shocked that two of the players guessed it. I almost instantly realized it was the Olympics, though.
Ryno

Post by Ryno »

As a classic rock fan got "55" as Lach Trash (only one this game). Unfortunately I brain-farted on a Lynyrd Skynyrd song that I heard a million times. The Sammy Hagar triple stumper made me think back to the Van Halen "Running with the Devil" triple stumper (David Lee Roth era) from early June.

Got FJ. One saving grace.
One time swimmer in the Jeopardy! pool
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

TaffieDoll wrote:What did Terri say her job was! A Dosin?
I'm guessing 'a docent'.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

BADuBois wrote: Wonder what was going on there.
She probably realized just how incredibly lucky she was to have won that game. She did try -- not once, but twice -- to give it away.