Thursday, October 9, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Thursday, October 9, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6914, 2014-10-09

CONTESTANTS
Rena Morse, a director of semantic technology from Charlottesville, Virginia
Venkat Krishnan, an I.T. manager from Sharon, Massachusetts
Emily Herndon, a bakery owner from Knoxville, Tennessee (whose 1-day cash winnings total $8,100)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. And welcome to our show. Good champion in Emily, and Venkat and Rena, happy to welcome you to our program, as well. Good luck. Here we go into the Jeopardy! Round. To grandma's house, where we find these categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
MUTT (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
JEFF (4/5)
THE BEST PICTURE OSCAR DIDN'T GO TO... (4/5)
"DEL" AWARE (5/5)
DYNASTY (4/5)
NORMAN ROCKWELL'S SATURDAY EVENING POST COVERS (3/5) (Alex: From the Norman Rockwell Museum in Stockbridge, Massachusetts...)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Rena: 9 R (including 1 DD), 0 W
Emily: 9 R, 1 W
Venkat: 6 R (including 1 rebound), 0 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 6
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $5,400

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Venkat: $3,000
Emily: $1,400
Rena: $1,400

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Rena Morse is from the beautiful city of Charlottesville in Virginia, and this lady has done something that makes me very envious. I have visited Wales in the past. It's a small country. I didn't realize it had so many castles. How many of them did you visit in Wales?

Rena: I visited over 400 --oops --over 100 castles in Wales in about two weeks.

Alex: And there's always a great deal of history in that.

Rena: History, culture --it's amazing.

Alex: Absolutely.

Alex: Venkat Krishnan from Massachusetts. Came in second in two road races?

Venkat: Yeah, that's right. I actually took up running quietly just 10 years ago. But I run a couple of marathons
and a couple of half-marathons, and then many smaller races, and this is one of the smaller races, in my age category. I mean, not overall --just in my age category.

Alex: Terrific. Well, okay.

Alex: Emily Herndon is our champion, ladies and gentlemen. In case you were not watching yesterday, this lady decorates cakes and does fantastic icings, and she did one, apparently, that has some connection --at least in name --to me.

Emily: I did. Well, I actually make cake pops, as well, which is cake and icing, rolled into a shape and then dipped in chocolate.

Alex: Right.

Emily: And I made some that were owls, and I named one of them "Owlex Trebek." [ laughter ] You're just that good.

Alex: Just that good. Right.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Rena found the Daily Double on the 19th clue. Emily had $1,400, Venkat had $3,800, and Rena was at $1,600. Rena wagered $1,000.

MUTT $400: Ice cream, in layers of chocolate, vanilla & strawberry is named for this city
(Alex: [*], It's called Neapolitan ice cream.)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
THE BEST PICTURE OSCAR DIDN'T GO TO... $1000: 1932's "I Am a Fugitive from" one of these collectives

DYNASTY $1000: The Sabah dynasty rules this kingdom bordering Iraq

MUTT $1000: Sadly or happily, modern versions of this oxymoronic literary genre include Pinter's "The Dumb Waiter"

NORMAN ROCKWELL'S SATURDAY EVENING POST COVERS $400: (Sarah of the Clue Crew presents the clue from the Norman Rockwell Museum.) The original "Boy on High Dive" painting from a 1947 cover now belongs to this "Lincoln" director, who says that we're all on diving boards during our lives, and that taking the plunge
is something we must face

JEFF $1000: From 1983 to 2013 Jeff Bingaman served as a U.S. senator from this western state

NORMAN ROCKWELL'S SATURDAY EVENING POST COVERS $1000: (Jimmy of the Clue Crew presents the clue from the Norman Rockwell Museum.) 1948's "Homecoming" cover
was truly a friends-and-family affair. There's Rockwell; these are his three sons, and over here is this friend and fellow artist
(Alex: Oh, you recognize her, but you can't come up with, "Who is [*]?")

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Rena: $4,800
Venkat: $4,600
Emily: $3,000
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Thursday, October 9, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
EARS TO CLASSICAL MUSIC (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
LINGUISTICS (5/5)
EDUCATIONAL TELEVISION (4/4)
THAT PLACE IS "GRAND"! (3/5)
WORLD WAR I SLANG (1/3, including 1 missed Daily Double) (Alex: You're all too young to remember.)
WRITERS ON THE PERIODIC TABLE (4/5) (Alex: You have to name the element represented by the initials that are missing in the names of writers that we will give you as clues.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Rena: 9 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 0 W
Emily: 10 R, 2 W (including 1 DD)
Venkat: 4 R, 0 W

Clues revealed: 27
Triple Stumpers: 4
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $7,600

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Rena snagged the next Daily Double on the 10th clue. Emily had $6,200, Venkat had $6,200, and Rena was at $7,600. Rena wagered $1,000.

EARS TO CLASSICAL MUSIC $1600: What a ride! In 1856 Wagner finished this opera, unwittingly adding his work to numerous future movie soundtracks

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Emily who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 24th clue. Emily had $9,000, Venkat had $7,400, and Rena was at $16,200. Emily wagered $1,000.

WORLD WAR I SLANG $800: The German gun "Long Max" was not as famous as this alliterative Krupp product
(Emily: What is a Gatling gun?)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
WRITERS ON THE PERIODIC TABLE $2000: British mistress of mystery
___ ___ James
(Alex: You guys did well
in that category.
I'm pleasantly surprised.)

THAT PLACE IS "GRAND"! $1600: Hold your water! This city on the Columbia river is about 80 miles from Spokane & comprises 3 former towns

THAT PLACE IS "GRAND"! $2000: Let's dine at this N.D. city on the Red River; yah, it's not far from Fargo & has an Air Force base nearby, dontcha know

WORLD WAR I SLANG $2000: A German verb meaning "punish", by war's end it meant attacking with machine-gun fire from low-flying aircraft

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Rena: $16,200
Emily: $11,600
Venkat: $7,400

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
HISTORICAL FIGURES

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Two-thirds for first place. Stratton's Dilemma.
Rena: Wager $7,001 to cover Emily.
Emily: You ought to wager to cover Venkat, but since you cannot win on a Triple Stumper if you do so, you should choose between wagering $0 and maximizing your winnings by betting all $11,600. You are in Stratton's Dilemma, calling for a wager of more than $3,200 (to shut out Venkat) or less than $2,400 (risking the possibility of being passed from behind by Venkat). Go with the smaller bet if you believe a Triple Stumper is more likely than a singleton miss by Rena.
Venkat: Seeing as you don't have enough money to win on a Triple Stumper (you will lose by at least $1,800), you might try betting $4,201, playing for a win if Emily tries to two-thirds Rena (though, from this position, a wager of all $7,400 is acceptable and perhaps preferred as it forces Emily to cover you).

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
A 2012 poll by Britain's national army museum voted this man, born in 1732, as the nation's greatest military enemy

FINAL SCORES
Venkat: $7,400 - $6,400 = $1,000 (Who was Napoleon) (3rd place: $1,000)
Emily: $11,600 - $4,601 = $6,999 (Who is Napoleon?) (2nd place: $2,000)
Rena: $16,200 - $7,001 = $9,199 (Who is Napoleon?) (New champion: $9,199)
(Alex: If you fell into a trap, you would have picked a man and made him much older than he really was. Venkat, we start with you. You were in third place,
and you wrote down...the name I feared.)
[After revealing Rena's response]
(Alex: No, you had to go for
the father of our country -- [*] was voted number one as Britain's enemy.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $13,000

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Rena: $16,200, 18 R (including 2 DDs), 0 W
Emily: $12,600, 19 R, 3 W (including 1 DD)
Venkat: $7,400, 10 R, 0 W
Combined Coryat: $36,200

BATTING AVERAGES
Emily: 19/59 = .322
Rena: 18/60 = .300
Venkat: 10/58 = .172
Team: 47/63 = .746

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
THE BEST PICTURE OSCAR DIDN'T GO TO... $800: This 1961 nominee about war crimes trials
(Emily: What is Nuremberg?)

NORMAN ROCKWELL'S SATURDAY EVENING POST COVERS $200: (Jimmy of the Clue Crew presents the clue from the Norman Rockwell Museum.) Soon favoring photographs,
one of the last paintings for
which Rockwell used live models was for a 1936 cover depicting
this type of singing group

NORMAN ROCKWELL'S SATURDAY EVENING POST COVERS $600: (Sarah of the Clue Crew presents the clue from the Norman Rockwell Museum.) For a wartime cover in 1943, Rockwell got a phone operator
from his hometown in Vermont to pose as this iconic character

JEFF $600: He's been a dominant force in his sport
In the 1990s and 2000s

NORMAN ROCKWELL'S SATURDAY EVENING POST COVERS $800: (Sarah of the Clue Crew presents the clue from the Norman Rockwell Museum.) Submitted for the New York World's Fair in 1939 was Rockwell's cover
of a disheveled druggist, also known
by this old-fashioned name

WRITERS ON THE PERIODIC TABLE $800: ___ ___ Lewis
(Rena: What is chlorine?)
[Rena's response was initially ruled as incorrect, but was later reversed before reading clue #10 (first daily double).]

LINGUISTICS $800: A triphthong isn't your swimsuit, it's a group of 3 of these sounds in one syllable
(Emily: What are consonants?)

EDUCATIONAL TELEVISION $2000: She was high-school coach's wife Tammy Taylor before moving to another down-home show

EDUCATIONAL TELEVISION $1600: In 2006 this Kristen Bell TV title character was off to Hearst College; in 2014 she got kickstarted back to life on film
[End-of-round signal sounds.]

CORRECT RESPONSES
Naples
a chain gang
Kuwait
tragicomedy
Steven Spielberg
New Mexico
Grandma Moses
The Valkyries
Big Bertha
palladium (Pd)
Grand Coulee
Grand Forks
strafe
George Washington
Judgment at Nuremberg
barbershop quartet
Rosie the Riveter
Jeff Gordon
apothecary
cesium (Cs) (or chlorine (Cl))
vowels
Connie Britton
Veronica Mars
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

Historical Figures
A 2012 poll by Britain's National Army Museum voted this man, born in 1732, as the nation's greatest military enemy.

Spoiler
Who is George Washington? All 3 players said Napoleon.

Rena Morse: $16,200-$7,001=$9,199...now a 1-day champion with $9,199
Emily Herndon: $11,600-$4,601=$6,999
Venkat Krishnan: $7,400-$6,400=$1,000
Last edited by jeff6286 on Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

I'll admit, Napoleon was my first thought too, but I very quickly dismissed him based on the 1732 hint. "But the only famous person I know of that was born around that time was ... oh!" The pieces all fit, and I gave the writers another thumbs-up for a tricky, but well written and gettable Final clue.

I'd love to see the game dynamics on this one, it seems that every time I turned around someone different was in the lead.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
JFanForever
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by JFanForever »

Been a long time since I had gotten an FJ correct. I honestly remember that clue when I read about it in the news. Even if I didn't, I probably would've gotten it seeing as I knew Washington was born in 1732.
heelsrule1988
Sports Jeopardy! Alum/VVL #19

Post by heelsrule1988 »

I'm shocked that a DD was put in a potpourri category... I always thought there was an unwritten rule to not do that.

"Writers on the Periodic Table"?! What a doubly-evil category. :(

Also... that was probably the most satisfying TS in FJ that I've ever gotten right. I felt so awesome after that. 8-)
Last edited by heelsrule1988 on Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jpr281
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jpr281 »

I thought Washington was easy, put him in the perfect age range for the 1770's. Choosing Napoleon would've put him well into his 60's fighting his wars. In fact, I didn't even think of Napoleon until about a few seconds left in FJ.
whatisbishkek

Post by whatisbishkek »

How many people realized (before the correct response was revealed) that the the clue referencing a "Lincoln director" meant the director of the film Lincoln? I didn't, and I'm pretty sure the players didn't, either.

Anyone else amused by Emily's reaction to Jeff Gordon?
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Dangling modifier alert on Rockwell for $200: "Soon favoring photographs, one of the last paintings for which Rockwell used live models…" So one of his last paintings favored photographs?

Lach Trash: Grand Forks.

Ran "Del" Aware, and got everything but $1,000 in Jeff (precalled Gordon).

0/5 in Dynasty. NHO Bourbon Dynasty.

So mountain bikes and dirt bikes are not the same thing. Never would've known this had I not bothered to look it up to see whether or not I had negged (spoiler: I did).

What was the TOM for Mozart on Classical for $400? Anything?

No BMS on "Bach", again?

Got only the DD in Classical.

"Oh, a Grand city in Washington. There's a Grand Coulee Dam, but that's not a city... what do they want?!" Derp. (To be fair, the actual town of Grand Coulee passes my biggest metric for remoteness — no Subway restaurant.)

No guess on FJ! Somehow I wasn't processing the clue right and failed to realize they were going for someone who'd be a major threat to Britain, just someone who'd be a major military threat overall. Which could be literally anyone. And probably someone I've never heard of since I know so little world history.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

dhkendall wrote:I'll admit, Napoleon was my first thought too, but I very quickly dismissed him based on the 1732 hint.
Same here. Switched to the right answer with time to spare. Greatest military enemy of all time? With all the wars they've fought I figured they'd have better candidates, but I guess that makes sense.
Last edited by xxaaaxx on Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Add me to those steered away from Napoleon by the year, as it would have had him at Waterloo in his 80s.
Abraxas

Post by Abraxas »

This game was much better played than yesterday's. The boards were easier for me today. I got 35 clues correct including Grand Forks. After the FJ category was revealed, I said to my sister, "Maybe it will be George Washington." It turned out that the correct response was indeed George W., but just like all three contestants, I gave Napoleon as my response.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

whatisbishkek wrote:How many people realized (before the correct response was revealed) that the the clue referencing a "Lincoln director" meant the director of the film Lincoln? I didn't, and I'm pretty sure the players didn't, either.
I didn't. I kept wondering how the hell I should know who the director of the Lincoln Center was.
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

Wow, I must be getting old. I imagined I heard Alex tell Emily she was close with her "Nuremberg" guess in the non-Oscar category, thereby giving her opponents a free rebound.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Paucle wrote:Wow, I must be getting old. I imagined I heard Alex tell Emily she was close with her "Nuremberg" guess in the non-Oscar category, thereby giving her opponents a free rebound.
He did, but to be fair, the guy had pretty much already rung in.
debramc
Iced Mare Grub

Post by debramc »

whatisbishkek wrote:How many people realized (before the correct response was revealed) that the the clue referencing a "Lincoln director" meant the director of the film Lincoln? I didn't, and I'm pretty sure the players didn't, either.
I was thinking "director of the Lincoln what? Is there a Lincoln museum or something? Is it not Lincoln but some homonym?" Never occurred to me they meant the film.
Anyone else amused by Emily's reaction to Jeff Gordon?
Yeah that was interesting.

Briefly thought of Napoleon, checked the date, ruled him out and figured it was probably something going on in the 1760s to 1780s range. What war would that be? Hmmm, oh yeah right! Must be Washington. Yup, 1732 sounded about right, makes him 44 at 1776. But really, of all time? Huh.
silverscreentest
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by silverscreentest »

Silver Screen Test, my movie trivia game show. Watch some of the episodes On-Demand.
CrunchyTaco
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by CrunchyTaco »

econgator wrote:
I didn't. I kept wondering how the hell I should know who the director of the Lincoln Center was.
Same here.
mungar
Valued Contributor

Post by mungar »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
What was the TOM for Mozart on Classical for $400? Anything?
Flute. Didn't even really need the sound clip with that mentioned.
Leander

Post by Leander »

Throw in another vote from someone who initially thought of Napoleon, but realized the dates didn't work and jumped to Washington. I liked this FJ and was surprised it was a TS.