Tuesday, October 14, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, October 14, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6917, 2014-10-14

CONTESTANTS
Candice Torres, a contract analyst from Stallings, North Carolina
Dan Tran, a Ph.D. student in physics originally from Boston, Massachusetts (whose 1-day cash winnings total $5,600)
Shane Curtis, an assistant professor from Lansing, Kansas (whose 2-day cash winnings total $24,001)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. Conventional wisdom would seem to indicate that a returning champion--or in this case, returning co-champions--because of their experience, would have an advantage over the challenger. But it doesn't always work out that way, so that's good news for you, Candice. Nice to have you here. Gentlemen, lady, here we go into the Jeopardy! Round. And here come the categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
CELEBRITY MARRIAGES (4/5)
TODAY'S CHECKLIST (5/5)
CHAINED TO A HOTEL (4/5)
"2"-SQUARE CROSSWORD CLUES (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
THE OUTBACK (4/5)
BLOOMIN' NON-ONIONS (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Candice: 9 R (including 1 DD), 0 W
Shane: 9 R, 0 W
Dan: 7 R, 0 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 5
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $3,800

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Shane: $3,000
Dan: $2,200
Candice: $2,000

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: One of the things we've discovered over the years on Jeopardy! regarding our contestants is that many of them are collectors. Candice Torres is a collector, also, and she has a very extensive collection of...?

Candice: Nail polish. I have, at most, over 1,000 bottles, is what I had. And I actually won a contest a few years ago to create my own polish with the brands that I loved, and it's available nationwide. Lotus Elise.

Alex: Okay, good for you.

Alex: Dan Tran, our co-champion, a Ph.D. student in physics, who is also a musician.

Dan: Yeah.

Alex: Self-taught. What instruments?

Dan: I've taught myself both the drums and guitar. I've played guitar for a little longer than the drums.

Alex: Yeah, rock 'n' roll?

Dan: Yes.

Alex: Okay, good.

Alex: 'Cause Shane Curtis here is a big fan of a rock 'n' roll group that went into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame this year.

Shane: That's right, Alex. Finally they saw the light and inducted Kiss into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. And been a big fan ever since I was small. A lot of people seem to have outgrown them, but I never did.

Alex: Now, a lot of people who are fans of rock groups follow them around and get to see many, many concerts. Did you do that?

Shane: Uh, well, I've never followed them, per se. I have caught them a couple times on different tours and, in fact, have convinced my wife to dress in full kiss regalia to, uh, attend concerts, so she's a fan, too, now.

Alex: She doesn't mind those high heels, huh?

Shane: She's awesome.

Alex: Okay. All right.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Candice found the Daily Double on the 25th clue. Shane had $4,400, Dan had $3,200, and Candice was at $2,800. Candice wagered $1,000.

"2"-SQUARE CROSSWORD CLUES $800: Get above it all here, aka Dapsang

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
CELEBRITY MARRIAGES $1000: This British actress wore a short Chanel dress for her 2013 wedding to indie rocker James Righton

CHAINED TO A HOTEL $800: In 2014 new Beijing & Bogota hotels are opening in this letter-perfect chain from Starwood

THE OUTBACK $1000: The Great this Desert was named for a queen in 1875 by explorer Ernest Giles, who got around

"2"-SQUARE CROSSWORD CLUES $200: Riboflavin

BLOOMIN' NON-ONIONS $800: Don't be shy; name this spring-blooming perennial

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Dan: $5,200
Shane: $5,000
Candice: $4,200
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Tuesday, October 14, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
19th CENTURY AMERICANS (2/5)
WHO WROTE IT? (0/4, including 1 missed Daily Double)
3 STRAIGHT VOWELS (3/5)
WORLD CITIES (3/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
WEIGHTS & MEASURES (5/5)
"DIRTY" ENTERTAINMENT (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Shane: 10 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W
Dan: 7 R, 6 W (including 2 DDs)
Candice: 1 R, 2 W

Clues revealed: 29
Triple Stumpers: 9
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $14,000

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Dan snagged the next Daily Double on the 9th clue. Shane had $5,000, Dan had $6,000, and Candice was at $1,400. Dan wagered $3,000.

WORLD CITIES $1600: Morocco was named for this city known for its centuries-old red clay buildings
(Alex: Dan?)
(Dan: Not coming to me.)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Dan who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 29th clue. Shane had $15,000, Dan had $5,800, and Candice was at $1,800. Dan wagered $2,000.

WHO WROTE IT? $800: "We asked you to speak about women and fiction--what has that got to do with a room of one's own?"
(Dan: Who is, uh, Wollstonecraft?)
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
3 STRAIGHT VOWELS $1600: In this outdoor ring toss game, a ringer is usually worth 3 points
(Candice: What is horseshoes?)

3 STRAIGHT VOWELS $2000: This word for merriment is the name of a Dublin theater, the "Grand Old Lady of South King Street"

WORLD CITIES $1200: In 2014 this Spanish city honored El Greco on the 400th anniversary of his death with a series of exhibitions & concerts
(Dan: What is Barcelona?)
(Shane: What is Madrid?)
(Candice: What is Seville?)

19th CENTURY AMERICANS $800: In 1874 he invented the quadruplex telegraph, allowing 4 messages to be sent at a time, 2 in each direction
(Dan: Who is Morse?)

19th CENTURY AMERICANS $1600: In 1865 he & his brother William built an oil refinery in Cleveland they called Standard Works
(Dan: Who is, uh, J.P. Morgan?)
(Alex: A minute to go.)

19th CENTURY AMERICANS $2000: This president was a supporter of the Pendleton Civil Service Act

WHO WROTE IT? $2000: "Nature's first green is gold, her hardest hue to hold"

WHO WROTE IT? $1600: "Midway upon the journey of our life I found myself within a forest dark"

WHO WROTE IT? $1200: "Where I want to start telling is the day I left Pencey Prep"

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Shane: $15,000 (lock game)
Dan: $3,800
Candice: $1,800

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
BUSINESS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Lock for first place; lock for second place.
Shane: Wager between $0 (venusian) and $7,399 (martian), and enjoy your victory.
Dan: Wager between $0 (venusian) and $199 (martian), and enjoy 2nd place.
Candice: You've no hope of catching up... unless Dan does something stupid. So risk $1,799.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Today this company markets more than 100 times the number of products found in a slogan it used in 1896

FINAL SCORES
Candice: $1,800 - $1,799 = $1 (What is) (3rd place: $1,000)
Dan: $3,800 - $0 = $3,800 (What is McDonald's?) (2nd place: $2,000)
Shane: $15,000 + $3,000 = $18,000 (What is Heinz?) (3-day champion: $42,001)
(Alex: [To Shane] 57 varieties. Now they have more than 5,700 products.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $17,800

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Shane: $15,000, 19 R, 1 W
Dan: $8,800, 14 R, 6 W (including 2 DDs)
Candice: $1,600, 10 R (including 1 DD), 2 W
Combined Coryat: $25,400

BATTING AVERAGES
Shane: 20/58 = .345
Dan: 14/60 = .233
Candice: 10/59 = .169
Team: 44/63 = .698

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
TODAY'S CHECKLIST $600: Feed my pet this, a variety of antelope; then I'm off to play the same-named drums

THE OUTBACK $600: First crossed by explorer Ernest Giles in 1876, this desert shares its name with localish actor Mel

"2"-SQUARE CROSSWORD CLUES $600: Rendered with x-axis & y-axis only
(Candice: What is two-dimensional, or [*]?)

BLOOMIN' NON-ONIONS $400: These plants, whose flowers can be one foot across, are Monet, & they don't even know it

3 STRAIGHT VOWELS $400: Kohala is the northernmost of the 5 volcanoes on this "Big Island"
(Dan: What is Maui?)

WEIGHTS & MEASURES $1200: This unit, whose symbol is seen here, is used in measuring wavelengths of light

19th CENTURY AMERICANS $1200: (Sarah of the Clue Clue reports from Deadwood, SD.) This is what it looks like now, but in 1875, Deadwood was just a mining camp that sprung up after this lieutenant colonel & his 7th Calvary found that the Black Hills were rich in gold

CORRECT RESPONSES
K2
Keira Knightley
W
the Great Victoria Desert
B2
a wallflower
Marrakesh
Virginia Woolf
quoits
gaiety
Toledo
Thomas Edison
John D. Rockefeller
Chester Arthur
Robert Frost
Dante
J.D. Salinger
H.J. Heinz
a bongo
Gibson
2-D
water lilies
Hawaii
an angstrom
(George Armstrong) Custer
floridagator
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by floridagator »

How Shane got his groove back! The main story of this game is how Shane rallied to a knockout finish. But the secondary story is how Candace crashed, going from contender to irrelevant. At the end of the J! round, the scores were 5000-5200-4200 -- a tight game. But through a series of missteps, Candace took herself out of contention, and Shane came back big and could not be caught.

The other man blew the easy DD -- unlike the other TOUGH questions in that category that relied on the quotation alone, this one was filled with prompts -- and still he blew it, and forfeited any chance he had of being a factor in Final.

FJ was an instaget for me. Too many J! and College Bowl players are completely clueless about business, but what an easy question!
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Business
Today this company markets more than 100 times the number of products found in a slogan it used in 1896.

Spoiler
What is Heinz? Candice had no guess; Dan said Mcdonald's.

Shane Curtis: $15,000+$3,000=$18,000...now a 3-day champion with $42,001
Dan Tran: $3,800-$0=$3,800
Candice Torres: $1,800-$1,799=$1
Last edited by jeff6286 on Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I got FJ, but wasn't very sure about it. It was the only company I could come up with that had a number associated with it. I tried to think of a smaller number, but I was pretty sure it wasn't WD40. Even after Shane's reveal, I didn't feel good about it until Alex gave it the thumbs up.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Was that really the middle guy's best story? I taught myself piano. When I was 4.

Hotel Chains had me happy, but I only got 3. Don't recognize Public Garden or Beacon Hil in Boston, and never heard of the W chain either.

Missed the first 2 in the "2" category because Alex kinda, you know, forgot to EXPLAIN THE DAMN CATEGORY (also I've NHO "V2"), but once I saw where it was going, I got the next three. (Also, boo to not using Gorillaz as a TOM for 2D. :P)

Gave myself the neg on Non-Onions for $400 since I don't think I'd have been able to BMS from just "lily" in time.

After Barcelona, Madrid, and Seville all got ruled out on Cities for $1200 I was thinking, "well, what's LEFT?!"

Easy run of Weights and Measures. When "knot" is $2,000, there's no way a category can be tough.

I wonder if Writers for $400 was a TS that got edited out, because Alex never said LTAM.

"Number of products in a slogan". 1896 is too old for Baskin-Robbins 31 flavors, so I'll go with Heinz.
Leander

Post by Leander »

McDonalds is a very bad guess for a company going back to 1896. I guessed Proctor & Gamble without much confidence, Heinz never occurred to me.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

Watching Dan shoot off all of his toes was sad, especially since most of the clues he missed weren't that hard.

Ship/aircraft speeds measured in _____ for 2000????

Got FJ right (1896 eliminated every other company that came to mind), even though 5700+ products seemed like a lot.
Abraxas

Post by Abraxas »

Shane pulled away from the other two players for a runaway. I got 34 clues correct including Great Victoria Desert, Gaiety, and Virginia Woolf (DD). I thought about FJ for a few seconds, then recalled the slogan "57 Varieties" and Heinz.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Missed the first 2 in the "2" category because Alex kinda, you know, forgot to EXPLAIN THE DAMN CATEGORY (also I've NHO "V2"), but once I saw where it was going, I got the next three. (Also, boo to not using Gorillaz as a TOM for 2D. :P)
Unless we're talking about a different clue, that was B2, not V2, it's a vitamin.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

jeff6286 wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote: Missed the first 2 in the "2" category because Alex kinda, you know, forgot to EXPLAIN THE DAMN CATEGORY (also I've NHO "V2"), but once I saw where it was going, I got the next three. (Also, boo to not using Gorillaz as a TOM for 2D. :P)
Unless we're talking about a different clue, that was B2, not V2, it's a vitamin.
I know. I was trying to make it clear that I missed the first one because Alex didn't explain the category, and the second one because I've never heard of V2.
Dr. J
Decade Battler and Mustache Maker

Post by Dr. J »

Oh, Dan...you made some silly guesses tonight. McDonald's in 1896? Can't get Virginia Woolf when spotted "A room of one's own?" Sigh.

Instaget FJ. Hubs wanted it to be Baskin Robbins (31,000 products?)
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

Todays FJ must have been intended to challenge only players under age 35, I guess.
As soon as I saw the clue, I was thinking: "good thing it was a run away."

What a terrible wager by Dan on that last DD. Kind of mystifying after his strategic FJ wager yesterday. It's like he was thinking "gee, I'm getting negged a lot recently. I better bet small.".
lisa0012

Post by lisa0012 »

Dr. J wrote:Instaget FJ. Hubs wanted it to be Baskin Robbins (31,000 products?)
3100. Which would still be totally awesome.
Dr. J
Decade Battler and Mustache Maker

Post by Dr. J »

Math slip up -- just one more reason I always bet $2000 :). 3,100 flavors is still one heck of a brain freeze!
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

35 right.

Marriage- 3; Today- 3; Hotel- 3; "2"- 3; Outback- 4; Onion- 2
Americans- 4; Wrote- 2; 3 Vowels- 2; Cities- 3; Weights- 1; "Dirty"- 5

Lach Trash: "Thomas Edison", "John Rockefeller", "Chester Arthur", "J.D. Salinger", "Virginia Woolf"

I thought of IBM (didn't exist yet) before switching to Procter & Gamble. The answer turned out to be a head-slapper for me.
psgola
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by psgola »

Best category for me today was Today's Checklist 4/5, and my only Lach Trash was Chester Arthur.

On that Spanish city category, after Dan said Barcelona, I also would've done what Shane did and said Madrid.

And yes, I'm under 35, and I didn't get the FJ.
schoe
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by schoe »

I'm surprised they let the third contestant plug her nail polish line on the air and didn't edit that out.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

I got tripped up on the Thomas Edison clue, and said Marconi.
So don't feel bad Candice, for going with 'horse shoes' for a "ring toss game".

Managed to come up with Robert Frost on the bottom Who Wrote It? clue, even though I hate poetry. Not much else lach trash for me.
BADuBois
Jeopardy! Champion... It's a Mystery!

Post by BADuBois »

Another bleh game... McDonald's? In the 1800's? Oy.

FJ was an Instaget for me.
Award-winning author of "My Short, Happy Life in 'Jeopardy!'"
http://tinyurl.com/btax4xp