Friday, October 17, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Friday, October 17, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6920, 2014-10-17

CONTESTANTS
Sarah Horvitz, an attorney from Brooklyn, New York
Alexander Persaud, a Ph.D. student in economics originally from Dubuque, Iowa
John Campbell, a romance novelist from Weymouth, Massachusetts

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny.
Our champ, this John, got into a flow, a rhythm on yesterday's program, made the game a runaway, and is feeling and looking much more confident than in his first appearance. We'll see how it works out today as he faces challengers once again. Sarah and Alexander, welcome.
Good luck. Here we go.

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
NSFW (3/5) (Alex: You all know what that means -- "not safe for work")
STATE LICENSE PLATES (5/5)
BEFORE, DURING OR AFTER (5/5)
CLOTHING & FASHION (3/5)
THE TEAM, THE TEAM, THE TEAM (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
THE WISDOM OF "BO" (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
John: 11 R (including 1 DD), 3 W
Sarah: 8 R (including 2 rebounds), 2 W
Alexander: 6 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 5
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $3,200

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
John found the Daily Double on the 2nd clue. John had $200, Alexander was scoreless, and Sarah had nothing in the bank. John wagered $1,000.

THE TEAM, THE TEAM, THE TEAM $400: The athletic teams of this New England school founded in 1861 are called the Engineers

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Sarah: $2,800
Alexander: $2,400
John: $2,000

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Sarah Horvitz is a very athletic attorney. In 2008, you climbed Mount Kilimanjaro.
Sarah: Yes, I did. I was determined to take a trip to Africa, and I was supposed to be going with a friend, and she was unable to go at the last minute, and so I went by myself and joined a tour group and summited Kilimanjaro. I had been climbing mountains at the time, living in Colorado, but it's the tallest peak I've summited so far.
Alex: Hey, that's cool. All right.

Alex: Alexander Persaud. Originally from Dubuque, Iowa. You took up, while you were in college, music lessons for an instrument that is unusual in this part of the world, and that is...?
Alexander: The sitar. So, I took up sitar lessons when I was there in college. I thought it was offered. I should take advantage of it.
Alex: Did you become good at it?
Alexander: Um, I became proficient enough to record a one single with a tabla player who also played with me.
Alex: Good for you. All right. Congratulations.

Alex: John Campbell is a romance novelist who has not been married all that long. And for a honeymoon, his wife wanted to do what?
John: She wanted to go to an island and let me pick the island, and I picked Great Britain.
[ laughter ]
John: So, we spent half of our honeymoon in Edinburgh, and then we spent the rest in the Cotswolds. And so if --well, I guess I have won. So, I'll probably bring her somewhere a little more tropical next time.
Alex: Next time. Okay.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
CLOTHING & FASHION $600: For the man not quite at his college weight, Levi's & Gap jeans both come in this 7-letter style
(Alexander: Uh, what is... don't know.)
(Sarah: What is husky?)
(Alex: I have [*] extra.)

CLOTHING & FASHION $1000: The word for this dress worn by the buxom beer-serving Munich fraulein comes from the German for "little girl dress"

NSFW $400: In a cheesy bit, a TV magician was hospital-bound after getting hit with one of these pies thrown by Sooty the puppet
(John: What is a whipped cream pie?)
(Sarah: What is a coal pie?)

NSFW $600: Don't feed this "equal-opportunity mauler" after smoking a funny cigarette, as a Montana park employee did

THE WISDOM OF "BO" $600: TV Cartwrights were well aware it's a rich mass of ore, as found in mining

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Sarah: $4,400
John: $4,400
Alexander: $3,400
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Friday, October 17, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
OCCUPATIONAL LAST NAMES (2/4)
BROADWAY MUSICALS BY SONG (5/5)
ANIMALS OF THE AMAZON (4/4)
14 LETTERS OR MORE (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double) (Alex: Each correct response.)
O CAPTAIN! MY LITERATURE CAPTAIN! (4/4, including 1 correct Daily Double)
ARCHAEOLOGY (4/4) (Alex: And finally, because tomorrow is International [*] Day, a whole category on that subject.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Sarah: 11 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 2 W
Alexander: 7 R (including 1 rebound), 0 W
John: 5 R (including 1 DD), 1 W

Clues revealed: 26
Triple Stumpers: 3
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $4,800

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
John snagged the next Daily Double on the 12th clue. John had $6,000, Alexander had $6,200, and Sarah was at $7,200. John wagered $4,000.

O CAPTAIN! MY LITERATURE CAPTAIN! $1200: He "went content to the crocodile"; instead of "bad form", his last words should have been "here's seconds!"

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Sarah who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 16th clue. John had $11,600, Alexander had $8,200, and Sarah was at $8,400. Sarah wagered $2,400.

14 LETTERS OR MORE $2000: In psychology this means to separate conflicting feelings as if into different boxes in order to cope
(Alex: That's the word!)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
14 LETTERS OR MORE $1600: This 16-letter word means not at all usual or typical, especially when referring to a person
(Sarah: What is extraordinary?)

OCCUPATIONAL LAST NAMES $1200: "Jazz Cleopatra" is a biography of this U.S.-born dancer who became a sensation in 1920s Paris
(Alex: And that talented lady was [*].)

OCCUPATIONAL LAST NAMES $2000: Before writing "The Vicar Of Wakefield", this 18th Century author studied medicine in Leyden
(Alex: The author? [*].)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Sarah: $14,400
Alexander: $13,000
John: $10,000

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
COATS OF ARMS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Four-fifths for first place.
Sarah: Wager $11,601 to cover Alexander.
Alexander: You're faced with a legitimate choice in strategy. You can either choose to cover John, hoping that you give the correct response and Sarah doesn't, in which case you'll want to wager $7,001 to cover John's doubled score, but no more than $10,200 if you want to top Sarah on a Triple Stumper; or bet up to $2,999 and win if both Sarah and John miss Final.
John: You ought to try wagering between $3,001 and $4,000. This will top a $0 wager by Alexander while still beating Sarah and Alexander on the Triple Stumper (should Sarah wager to cover Alexander's doubled score and Alexander wager to cover your doubled score).

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This country's Coat Of Arms features a palm tree & a 19th Century American sailing ship

FINAL SCORES
John: $10,000 - $4,400 = $5,600 (What is the Bahamas?) (2nd place: $2,000)
Alexander: $13,000 - $7,000 = $6,000 (What is Marshall Islands) (New champion: $6,000)
Sarah: $14,400 - $13,000 = $1,400 (What is the Philippines) (3rd place: $1,000)
(Alex: You had to think about a country with a connection to America, and that country is [*].)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $8,000

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Sarah: $14,000, 19 R (including 1 DD), 4 W
Alexander: $13,000, 13 R, 1 W
John: $6,600, 16 R (including 2 DDs), 4 W
Combined Coryat: $33,600

BATTING AVERAGES
Sarah: 19/59 = .322
John: 16/60 = .267
Alexander: 13/58 = .224
Team: 48/63 = .762

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
THE TEAM, THE TEAM, THE TEAM $800: From 1980 to 1983 the N. Y. Islanders won 4 straight Stanley Cups, after this team up north had won the previous 4
(John: Who are the Edmonton Oilers?)

BEFORE, DURING OR AFTER $200: The death of the prophet Muhammad, BDA 1095 A.D.
[Alex pronounces "BDA" as "before, during or after"]

BEFORE, DURING OR AFTER $600: The winter Olympics in Lillehammer, Norway, BDA 1996
(Alex: Yes, 1994)

CLOTHING & FASHION $400: A mock one of these sweaters can be knitted double so you don't need to fold the collar over
(John: What's a cowl?)

CLOTHING & FASHION $800: This occupational term for the cap seen here may have you shouting, "extra!" at odd moments.

BROADWAY MUSICALS BY SONG $400: The Royal Children:
"March Of The Siamese Children"
(Alex: That's the musical!)

O CAPTAIN! MY LITERATURE CAPTAIN! $1600: This 1870 sci-fi captain claimed the South Pole with an appropriate flag

BROADWAY MUSICALS BY SONG $2000: Lola, Pat, George & Ensemble:
"Sex Is In The Heel"
(John: What is Damn Yankees?)

OCCUPATIONAL LAST NAMES $1600: Years before making her feature film debut, this Wedding Crashers costar was a best-selling novelist

ARCHAEOLOGY $2000: The beginning of this metallic age varied geographically, with China being a latecomer in around 600 B.C.
(Sarah: What is the Bronze Age?)

ARCHAEOLOGY $1600: The 2012 discovery of a girl's skull at this Virginia colony was the first evidence of cannibalism in the British colonies
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

CORRECT RESPONSES
M. I. T.
relaxed
dirndl
a pizza pie
a grizzly bear
a bonanza
Captain Hook
compartmentalize
uncharacteristic
Josephine Baker
Oliver Goldsmith
Liberia
Montreal Canadiens
before
before
a turtleneck
a newsboy cap
The King And I
Captain Nemo
Kimky Boots

Isla Fisher
the Iron Age
Jamestown
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

Coats of Arms
This country's coat of arms features a palm tree & a 19th century American sailing ship.

Spoiler
What is Liberia? John said the Bahamas; Alexanders said Marshall Islands; Sarah said the Philippines.

Sarah Horvitz: $14,400-$13,000=$1,400
Alexander Persaud: $13,000-$7,000=$6,000...now a 1-day champion with $6,000
John Campbell: $10,000-$4,400=$5,600
Last edited by jeff6286 on Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

What a hot, hot game! Why can't all games be like this? When is the last time all three contestants finished DJ in five figures?

When I saw the scores were so high and so close, and then the FJ category was Coats of Arms (ouch), I knew it would be brutal. Let me boast (due to my excessive pride) that I came up with the correct answer. I'm guessing it will be a low get for the week in terms of this board.

My embarrassing mistake is that I Pavloved Damn Yankees when I saw a character named Lola in the $2000 clue even though I sort of knew there was no such song in the musical. Congrats to the contestant for getting that one right with a musical I'd never heard of.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
heelsrule1988
Sports Jeopardy! Alum/VVL #19

Post by heelsrule1988 »

Good riddance to John and his D-move time-killing strategy. There's just no place for that.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Another terrible game for me, with only 6 right in each round, but Lach Trash on "bonanza".

Fashion was completely over my head. "Pocket square"?!?

Also thought Muhammad was undervalued at $200. 1095 seemed just as likely to be during or after at least to me.

Was it just me, or were the second and third clues in NSFW completely impenetrable? I could've guessed a million times and never gotten "pizza" since I didn't catch onto "cheesy". And usually, pieing is done with, ya know, bakery pies. Also, "Equal opportunity mauler" is probably the most obscure path to "bear" I've ever seen in my life.

I had no idea what the "Literary Captain" DD was even asking since it was so confusingly worded.

Two answers that I clammed on because I wasn't 100% sure: "Old Man of the Mountain" (wasn't sure if he was in, on, or of) and "compartmentalize" (wasn't sure if "al" was in there).

My knowledge of Isla Fisher begins and ends with "voiced Beans in Rango."

Grr… of COURSE Animals is one of the four you leave on the board… (Peacock's Third Law of Jeopardy!: If a clue is left on the board, it will always be in a category that you really want to see finished.)

"Coats of Arms"? Yeah, I'm putting down a "no" before I even see the clue. Palm trees had me pondering a more tropical country but no idea where to start. Not even "Africa" would've steered me to Liberia.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

Nice game. Shame it had to end with a bad wager by the champ, and a seemingly easy clue being a TS.
Abraxas

Post by Abraxas »

This was an exciting game to watch, but FJ was a triple stumper. I got 33 clues correct including uncharacteristic and Josephine Baker. I also correctly guessed that the "real charge of the Light Brigade" was during 1854, because it was the last clue revealed in the Before/During/After category and no "during" had been a correct response up until then. I guessed the Philippines for FJ.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Abraxas wrote:I guessed the Philippines for FJ.
Ditto. I thought Liberia? Nah, nothing to do with palm trees. Something tropical ... ummm ... the Philippines.
jjwaymee

Post by jjwaymee »

I said Liberia just to have something written down, but I didn't feel particularly confident about it. The palm tree and sailing ship didn't scream "independent African republic" to me.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

econgator wrote:
Ditto. I thought Liberia? Nah, nothing to do with palm trees. Something tropical ... ummm ... the Philippines.
Ditto ditto. Who knew?
Ryno

Post by Ryno »

Instaget FJ. I remembered that FJ clue about Liberia from last season. The American sailing ship reference made me think of the colonization movement from the 19th century.

Lach Trash: Grizzly Bear, Josephine Baker
One time swimmer in the Jeopardy! pool
doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally »

jjwaymee wrote:I said Liberia just to have something written down, but I didn't feel particularly confident about it. The palm tree and sailing ship didn't scream "independent African republic" to me.
This. I was absolutely shocked it was right. I was expecting some ship name that is same as a country's name. The challengers seemed to have learned from previously taped games.
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

econgator wrote:
We just had the Philippines for a FJ, so I figured it wouldn't be them. I considered Fiji and then switched to Cuba. But, yeah, I was thinking some tropical type setting.

Bad bet by John. Did he think both of the others would bet zero? He had both of the others' MSBIW beat, so he had no need to bet anything. If he's going to bet that big, he might as well go all in, which would have earned him a tie if he and the other guy get it right and the lady is wrong.

I also got Light Brigade because it was last and we hadn't had a during yet. I knew Mohammed lived in the 600s or close to it, so it was clearly before whatever the year was.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

Why was there no BMS on the NY Giants clue that John just said Giants? I don't recall any indication it was asking for a football team. (unless I missed something)
Maybe Alex never heard of the San Fransisco Giants?

Props to Sarah(?) for getting the Canadians on the Stanley Cup clue.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Category 13 wrote:Why was there no BMS on the NY Giants clue that John just said Giants? I don't recall any indication it was asking for a football team. (unless I missed something)
Maybe Alex never heard of the San Fransisco Giants?

Props to Sarah(?) for getting the Canadians on the Stanley Cup clue.
It mentioned two football players, so I guess that's why.

I missed the DD on MIT. I really don't think of MIT associated with sports, so giving the nickname threw me way off.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

If the clue referred to Larry Wilson and Jackie Smith in 1965, I could see the city not being needed.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

For the second night in a row the FJ was one where I just was not able to narrow it down. I couldn't get to the right geographic region on tonight's clue and guessed Libya, thinking that it may have had something to do with the Barbary pirates.
TomKBaltimoreBoy
Lucky to be Here

Post by TomKBaltimoreBoy »

Had an "of course!" moment when Liberia was revealed; it's definitely close enough to the equator to have palm trees. As has happened with me and geography questions before, I was on the other side of the planet and said Samoa.
Life IS pain, Princess. Anyone telling you differently is selling something.
thejeopardyfan
(Unranked)

Post by thejeopardyfan »

Abraxas wrote:I also correctly guessed that the "real charge of the Light Brigade" was during 1854, because it was the last clue revealed in the Before/During/After category and no "during" had been a correct response up until then.
I think we all did, and I think that's why John and Trebek laughed! :)