Tuesday, October 21, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, October 21, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6922, 2014-10-21

CONTESTANTS
Elizabeth Webster, an ESL teacher from East Lansing, Michigan
Deb Williams, a member services counselor from Hudson, Ohio
Alexander Persaud, a Ph.D. student in economics originally from Dubuque, Iowa (whose 2-day cash winnings total $26,000)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Hello, ladies and gentlemen. A modest win of $6,000 on Friday last made up for by our champion, Alexander, with a $20,000 win yesterday. Deb and Elizabeth, you've got your work cut out for you against this young champion, but, uh, who knows what's going to happen in this half hour? Good luck. Let's go to work in the Jeopardy! Round. And let's find out what the categories are, shall we?...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
LIBROS EN ESPAÑOL (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
MLB ALL-TIME LEADERS (3/4)
BEASTLY POSSESSIVES (4/5)
POTPOURRI (5/5)
THE STEAKS (4/5)
NEVER BEEN HIGHER (4/5) (Alex: Have...)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Alexander: 14 R (including 1 DD), 2 W
Elizabeth: 8 R (including 1 rebound), 2 W
Deb: 3 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W

Clues revealed: 29
Triple Stumpers: 4
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $3,400

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Alexander found the Daily Double on the 12th clue. Alexander had $3,000, Deb had $1,200, and Elizabeth had a deficit with -$200. Alexander wagered $1,800.

LIBROS EN ESPAÑOL $600: The first in a series:
"El Leon, la Bruja y el Ropera"

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Alexander: $6,600
Deb: $1,200
Elizabeth: $200

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Elizabeth Webster was introduced as an ESL teacher--English as a second language.

Elizabeth: Yes.

Alex: Who are your students?

Elizabeth: Primarily students who want to matriculate in Michigan State University, and so we have a pretty good diversity of nationalities--Chinese, um, Saudi Arabian, some Brazilian students.

Alex: Oh, okay.

Alex: Deb Williams.

Deb: Yes.

Alex: Member services counselor. She's from Ohio. Now, Thanksgiving's coming up pretty soon. When we think of Thanksgiving in America, we think of turkey and pumpkin pie and yams. You spent a different kind of Thanksgiving abroad. Tell me about that.

Deb: My family and I--we were on a vacation in Italy. We were in Rome. And we just lost track of the days, and we were out at evening one night. It started raining, and we went into the first restaurant we could find, which was a Chinese restaurant. Um, so we spent Than--we realized it was Thanksgiving once we ordered. Uh, and we--so we celebrated Thanksgiving with Chinese food and the soundtrack to Star Wars playing in the background.

Alex: Typical American dinner.

Deb: Typical.

Alex: Yes, indeed. All right.

Alex: Alexander Persaud is our champion. And this young man had a crazy nickname when he was doing what?

Alexander: So, I did mock trial when I was in college--

Alex: Uh-huh.

Alexander: --for four years, and I was known as "Crazy Eyes" when I was in mock trial because--

Alex: Why?

Alexander: So, when you're performing, when you're doing a mock trial, you're not supposed to talk to your teammates or your competitors, but I did a lot of, y'know, eye contact, nonverbal cues, and apparently I was very crazy when I did it, so Crazy Eyes.

[Laughter]

Alex: Did they keel over?

Alexander: One of them did. [Chuckling] No.

Alex: One of them did, okay.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
NEVER BEEN HIGHER $1000: In 2012 this "happy" Austrian set a record, parachuting from 24 miles up for more than 9 min. back to Earth

THE STEAKS $600: Found in the bottom sirloin & on the Sizzler's menu is this cut whose name comes from its geometry
(Elizabeth: What is round steak?)

BEASTLY POSSESSIVES $800: "In" this beastly body part means very unlikely to happen if at all
(Alexander: Uh... what is "in the cat's pajamas"?)

MLB ALL-TIME LEADERS $1000: Times caught stealing (win some, lose some)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Alexander: $8,600
Elizabeth: $2,800
Deb: $1,400
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Tuesday, October 21, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
THE LAST KING OF SCOTLAND (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
INITIALLY MEDICAL (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
"UV" EXPOSURE (3/5)
ROLE REVERSAL (5/5)
SCULPTURE (3/5)
THE FESTIVE CARIBBEAN (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Alexander: 14 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 0 W
Elizabeth: 6 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Deb: 3 R, 0 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 7
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $9,200

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Alexander snagged the next Daily Double on the 5th clue. Alexander had $11,000, Deb had $1,400, and Elizabeth was at $1,600. Alexander wagered $2,000.

THE LAST KING OF SCOTLAND $1600: ...of this house was David II, son of Robert

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Elizabeth who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 16th clue. Alexander had $18,200, Deb had $2,600, and Elizabeth was at $4,400. Elizabeth wagered $2,000.

INITIALLY MEDICAL $1200: For a cardiologist or a DJ:
BPM

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
THE LAST KING OF SCOTLAND $400: ...named this was killed in 1094 at the instigation of his uncle Donald Bane, not murdered by Macbeth

"UV" EXPOSURE $400: An arrangement of overlapping slats that can be used to control airflow

INITIALLY MEDICAL $2000: A small pressurized can for delivering asthma medication:
MDI

THE FESTIVE CARIBBEAN $2000: The Shakespeare Mas in this "Spice Isle" country is a battle of wits using only lines from the Bard's plays

"UV" EXPOSURE $800: From a country south of Ecuador

SCULPTURE $1600: Naturally, Degas knew his ballet terms; the sculpture seen here is called "Large" this

SCULPTURE $2000: In 1915 this goofy Frenchman exhibited a snow shovel on which he wrote, "In Advance of the Broken Arm"

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Alexander: $27,800 (lock game)
Elizabeth: $8,800
Deb: $3,000

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
THE 18th CENTURY

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Lock for first place; lock for second place.
Alexander: Wager between $0 (venusian) and $10,199 (martian), and enjoy your victory.
Elizabeth: Wager between $0 (venusian) and $2,799 (martian), and enjoy 2nd place.
Deb: You've no hope of catching up... unless Elizabeth does something stupid. So risk $2,999.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Losses in this event included 12 chests of souchong

FINAL SCORES
Deb: $3,000 + $3,000 = $6,000 (What was Boston Tea Party) (3rd place: $1,000)
Elizabeth: $8,800 + $8,800 = $17,600 (What is the Boston Tea Party) (2nd place: $2,000)
Alexander: $27,800 + $7,200 = $35,000 (What is the Boston Tea Party?) (3-day champion: $61,000)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $12,600

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Alexander: $26,200, 28 R (including 2 DDs), 2 W
Elizabeth: $8,000, 14 R (including 1 DD), 3 W
Deb: $3,000, 6 R, 1 W
Combined Coryat: $37,200

BATTING AVERAGES
Alexander: 29/60 = .483
Elizabeth: 15/59 = .254
Deb: 7/58 = .121
Team: 51/63 = .810

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
BEASTLY POSSESSIVES $600: It's the broken or jagged fabric pattern seen here

POTPOURRI $400: Stevie Nicks sang about the white-winged this, & here it is
(Alexander: What is a whippoorwill?)
(Deb: What is a loon?)

POTPOURRI $600: Located between 85th & 96th, the Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis Reservoir is found in this landmark
(Elizabeth: What is the Wall on Washington?)
(Alex: ...with less than a minute to go.)

MLB ALL-TIME LEADERS $400: At-bats, games played, hits, Hall of Fame arguments
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

THE LAST KING OF SCOTLAND $1200: ...to die in battle was killed at the 1513 battle of flodden field by the forces of this English king
(Elizabeth: Who is Richard III?)

"UV" EXPOSURE $1600: Viens ici, mon cher--snuggle with me in bed under this

ROLE REVERSAL $1600: Say hello to my little friend! He was a gangster in "Scarface", then put on a badge as a dedicated cop in "Heat"

CORRECT RESPONSES
The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe
Felix Baumgartner
tri-tip
a pig's eye
Rickey Henderson
the Bruce
beats per minute
Duncan
louver
metered-dose inhaler
Grenada
Peruvian
Arabesque
Marcel Duchamp
the Boston Tea Party
houndstooth
a dove
Central Park
Pete Rose
Henry VIII
duvet
Al Pacino
floridagator
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by floridagator »

Very impressive finish, but I was cheering for the ESL teacher. I like hot, competitive games and dislike watching the champion beat up two women. Even in the J! round it was evident that Alexander was going to make another runaway.

I'm thinking the clues are wordier this season and that's part of why boards are not getting finished.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I was hoping Elizabeth would make a late charge and finish within $2,400 of breaking the lock.

I had never heard of that stuff and was hoping Alex's pronunciation would help. It sounded Chinese so my first thought was the Boxer Rebellion. But that was too late for the 18th Century. Then I thought it might be a type of tea and I was home free.

Strong game by Alex, but I was mad we missed the last baseball clue.
soxfan99

Post by soxfan99 »

I don't normally harp on DD wagers, because I feel this board is generally too harsh on small wagers when they may be perfectly appropriate for many reasons. That being said, where was the TDD for that first one in Spanish books? Judging from the way he pronounced "Libros en Espanol," I suspect he speaks Spanish, and it was an $800 in a category that is almost always very easy, even if you don't speak much of the language.

I got the $1000 baseball clue, but it would have been much easier if they had played the category in order. That would have helped to emphasize that the leader in caught stealing was also the leader in steals.
jpr281
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jpr281 »

Surprised Alexander didn't make the J! DD a true one, he seemed well versed in Spanish. And we have Elizabeth who obviously had to risk it all when she got her DD in DJ! and then didn't; and then she risks it all in FJ! lol
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

These boards are hating me lately. 7 right in each round.

"Kidnapped" was my only miss in Libros. NHOI, and no idea how you'd get that unless you outright knew what sequestrado means because I sure as heck didn't.

-2/5 in Higher. I saw an Oriental sounding name and WAGged Fuji at $200, and saw no idea how to know that $800 was a dam and not a bridge.

Steak was a tough category. NHO tri-tip or flatiron, both of which seemed way more obscure than Salisbury. A-1 was my only get there, and I could've gotten Salisbury too but was blanking.

Potpourri was totally over my head. Not a glimmer of recognition anywhere.

Surprised that $400 was the only TS in Scotland.

What led to Puerto Rico on Caribbean for $400?

Louver was undervalued at $400 IMO.

Blah blah souchong = Boston Tea Party. Had it before Alex was done reading.
Abraxas

Post by Abraxas »

Alexander played a powerful game. I got 28 clues correct including "In a pig's eye" and Duncan. I went 4/4 in the baseball category and was hoping that the last clue in it would be revealed. I thought "tri-tip" was obscure.
soxfan99 wrote:I got the $1000 baseball clue, but it would have been much easier if they had played the category in order. That would have helped to emphasize that the leader in caught stealing was also the leader in steals.
Yes, but I precalled Rickey Henderson in this category, so he was my response.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

The 18th Century
Losses in this event included 12 chests of Souchong.

Spoiler
What is the Boston Tea Party?

Alexander Persaud: $27,800+$7,200=$35,000...now a 3-day champion with $61,000
Elizabeth Webster: $8,800+$8,800=$17,600
Deb Williams: $3,000+$3,000=$6,000
Last edited by jeff6286 on Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

This was a super easy board and a super easy FJ. I didn't know what "souchong" was, but "chests + 18th century" left no doubt.
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

27 right.

Libros- 3; MLB- 4; Beast- 3; Pot- 3; Steaks- 2; Higher- 3
King- 3; Medical- 1; "UV"- 0; Role- 2; Sculpture- 2; Caribbean- 1

Lach trash: "Rickey Henderson", "Duncan"

Instaget FJ- I wasn't familiar with that type of tea, but assumed chests= chests of tea.
southsidehitman
Has Been in Cliff Clavin's Kitchen

Post by southsidehitman »

Abraxas wrote:Alexander played a powerful game. I got 28 clues correct including "In a pig's eye" and Duncan. I went 4/4 in the baseball category and was hoping that the last clue in it would be revealed. I thought "tri-tip" was obscure.
Tri-tip is pretty common in southern California, and I got it immediately. Given that most of the writers have probably spent a fair amount of time in SoCal, it probably wasn't very obscure to them.
"Well, I'm not quite ready, so I'm gonna do it now."
mrparadise

Post by mrparadise »

TenPoundHammer wrote:These boards are hating me lately. 7 right in each round.

"Kidnapped" was my only miss in Libros. NHOI, and no idea how you'd get that unless you outright knew what sequestrado means because I sure as heck didn't.

-2/5 in Higher. I saw an Oriental sounding name and WAGged Fuji at $200, and saw no idea how to know that $800 was a dam and not a bridge.

Steak was a tough category. NHO tri-tip or flatiron, both of which seemed way more obscure than Salisbury. A-1 was my only get there, and I could've gotten Salisbury too but was blanking.

That would be "secuestrado", amigo.

Maybe there should be a sobriquet for failing to get a FJ! that TPH instagets?
silverscreentest
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by silverscreentest »

TenPoundHammer wrote:"Kidnapped" was my only miss in Libros. NHOI, and no idea how you'd get that unless you outright knew what sequestrado means because I sure as heck didn't.
The works of Robert Louis Stevenson that frequently come up are Treasure Island, Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde and Kidnapped. Treasure Island and Dr. Jekyll would have been multi-word titles. Off the top of my head, I didn't know what secuestrado meant, it seemed close enough to kidnapped.
TenPoundHammer wrote:What led to Puerto Rico on Caribbean for $400?
Commonwealth. The Virgin Islands are in the Caribbean, but are not a commonwealth.
Silver Screen Test, my movie trivia game show. Watch some of the episodes On-Demand.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

silverscreentest wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:"Kidnapped" was my only miss in Libros. NHOI, and no idea how you'd get that unless you outright knew what sequestrado means because I sure as heck didn't.
The works of Robert Louis Stevenson that frequently come up are Treasure Island, Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde and Kidnapped. Treasure Island and Dr. Jekyll would have been multi-word titles. Off the top of my head, I didn't know what secuestrado meant, it seemed close enough to kidnapped.
First time I recall hearing of that title.
silverscreentest wrote:
Commonwealth. The Virgin Islands are in the Caribbean, but are not a commonwealth.
But it's far from the only commonwealth there, isn't it?
Woppy T

Post by Woppy T »

That was nice of Elizabeth to offer Deb $1000.
silverscreentest
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by silverscreentest »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
silverscreentest wrote:
But it's far from the only commonwealth there, isn't it?
It's the only U.S. commonwealth in the Caribbean and U.S. was in the clue.
Silver Screen Test, my movie trivia game show. Watch some of the episodes On-Demand.
jjwaymee

Post by jjwaymee »

soxfan99 wrote:I don't normally harp on DD wagers, because I feel this board is generally too harsh on small wagers when they may be perfectly appropriate for many reasons. That being said, where was the TDD for that first one in Spanish books? Judging from the way he pronounced "Libros en Espanol," I suspect he speaks Spanish, and it was an $800 in a category that is almost always very easy, even if you don't speak much of the language.
I can forgive him that because he was very clearly better at the buzzer timing than his two opponents. He didn't "need" to go big on that wager.
I got the $1000 baseball clue, but it would have been much easier if they had played the category in order. That would have helped to emphasize that the leader in caught stealing was also the leader in steals.
I don't think playing the category top-to-bottom would have made a difference. Both the $800 and $1000 clues said parenthetically that the individual was the all time leader in the "good" and "bad" statistic. I didn't see any hints in the $400 or $600 clues that would have made a difference. I don't understand why he left that one till last and then played it bottom-to-top when he got there (which made it seem he knew a thing or two about it).

**edited because I brain farted about which round that category was in
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

TenPoundHammer wrote:But it's far from the only commonwealth there, isn't it?
Yeah, but last I checked Kentucky, Pennsylvania, Massachusetts, and Virginia weren't in the Caribbean.
davey

Post by davey »

mrparadise wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:These boards are hating me lately. 7 right in each round.

That would be "secuestrado", amigo.

Maybe there should be a sobriquet for failing to get a FJ! that TPH instagets?
Whatever it is you can call me it... :oops: :(
I know exactly what Souchong is...but I was stuck overseas. It never occurred to me to examine events in North America... :roll: