Wednesday, December 7, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, dhkendall, trainman, econgator

User avatar
Rex Kramer
Jeopardy! TOCer
Posts: 1336
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:08 am

Re: Wednesday, December 7, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Rex Kramer » Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:57 pm

Mark B wrote:I too was surprised at the no-get on Pullman.

OTOH, I missed the DD on the police strike. Was that a "figure it out" or a "lotsa people know this" for the box it was in?


Read The Given Day by Dennis Lehane. That came out only a year or so ago, so perhaps that's why the police strike was on the writers' mind.

Rex

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes
Posts: 8020
Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:39 pm

Re: Wednesday, December 7, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Bamaman » Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:46 pm

I thought the police strike and Coolidge was well known due to the quote about public safety.

As for FJ, I like ones you have to puzzle out rather than either knowing or not knowing something.

User avatar
laubla999
Maybe Someday Jeopardy Champion
Posts: 80
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:45 am
Location: Somewhere in Canada

Re: Wednesday, December 7, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by laubla999 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:59 pm

Turd Ferguson wrote:
I was floored that J! would ask about Les Iles de la Madeleine (even spotted "Mad"), even moreso when Julia actually got the response. dhkendall, weren't you just saying that there's never a clue about Canada that isn't easy for a Canadian? I think that would qualify! (Looking at the archive, I now see that there was a TOM in the clue, which I assume is how the writers expected most contestants would get it). Precalling the pronunciation "correction" from Alex on that was certainly easy, since he so rarely misses a chance to use his French.


I was floored too. So much that I didn't have the time to come up with the name. (Though to be honest, I wasn't really paying attention to the tv at that moment).
:-(

Got FJ : winner gets a cup, late 1890s, single =>> Wimbledon.
Done!

User avatar
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream
Posts: 8001
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:49 am
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
Contact:

Re: Wednesday, December 7, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by dhkendall » Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:05 pm

Turd Ferguson wrote:I was floored that J! would ask about Les Iles de la Madeleine (even spotted "Mad"), even moreso when Julia actually got the response. dhkendall, weren't you just saying that there's never a clue about Canada that isn't easy for a Canadian? I think that would qualify! (Looking at the archive, I now see that there was a TOM in the clue, which I assume is how the writers expected most contestants would get it). Precalling the pronunciation "correction" from Alex on that was certainly easy, since he so rarely misses a chance to use his French.


I do agree, that would have been a difficult one for most, and was surprised at the get. A good clue.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

User avatar
econgator
Let's Go Mets!
Posts: 6736
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:32 am

Re: Wednesday, December 7, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by econgator » Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:31 pm

dhkendall wrote:
Turd Ferguson wrote:I was floored that J! would ask about Les Iles de la Madeleine (even spotted "Mad"), even moreso when Julia actually got the response. dhkendall, weren't you just saying that there's never a clue about Canada that isn't easy for a Canadian? I think that would qualify! (Looking at the archive, I now see that there was a TOM in the clue, which I assume is how the writers expected most contestants would get it). Precalling the pronunciation "correction" from Alex on that was certainly easy, since he so rarely misses a chance to use his French.


I do agree, that would have been a difficult one for most, and was surprised at the get. A good clue.


I got it because of the ToM. No way I would have got it without that.

User avatar
whoisalexjacob
2015 TOC'er
Posts: 559
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:19 am

Re: Wednesday, December 7, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by whoisalexjacob » Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:02 pm

econgator wrote:
dhkendall wrote:
Turd Ferguson wrote:I was floored that J! would ask about Les Iles de la Madeleine (even spotted "Mad"), even moreso when Julia actually got the response. dhkendall, weren't you just saying that there's never a clue about Canada that isn't easy for a Canadian? I think that would qualify! (Looking at the archive, I now see that there was a TOM in the clue, which I assume is how the writers expected most contestants would get it). Precalling the pronunciation "correction" from Alex on that was certainly easy, since he so rarely misses a chance to use his French.


I do agree, that would have been a difficult one for most, and was surprised at the get. A good clue.


I got it because of the ToM. No way I would have got it without that.


Right, the clue was basically "this teacake starts w/ MAD (btw, did you know there are islands called that?)"

User avatar
laubla999
Maybe Someday Jeopardy Champion
Posts: 80
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:45 am
Location: Somewhere in Canada

Re: Wednesday, December 7, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by laubla999 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:07 pm

omgwheelhouse wrote:Right, the clue was basically "this teacake starts w/ MAD (btw, did you know there are islands called that?)"


I visited there some years ago, while on vacation.

Nice place, but windy :-)

User avatar
LeFlaneur
Jeopardy! Contestant
Posts: 142
Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:58 pm
Location: Omaha

Re: Wednesday, December 7, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by LeFlaneur » Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:49 pm

I thought Jennifer looked familiar and then when she told her "Zapruder film" story I realized I'd competed against her at the auditions this past summer in Kansas City. Good job and congrats on making it to the show.
Le Flaneur

reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool
Posts: 539
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:51 am
Location: Seattle

Re: Wednesday, December 7, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by reddpen » Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:22 pm

MarkBarrett wrote:I knew one place where Tony's name was familiar: http://sites.google.com/site/iqausa/ #101

alietr wrote:Quite a few familiar names on there

If you scroll down far enough on that page you'll see this:
Location: St. Louis, Missouri
Host: Rob Severson
minus the ø
alietr wrote:including one significantly higher who will be on next week ...

At which point this board may bust a nut.

Got monkfish from the holy cowled TOM and because the fishmongers at Pike Place Market sometimes use one of those ugly bastards as a prop. Got police purely from the "public safety" bit, got Pullman from having written a similar clue, and missed wide on FJ when the America's Cup lodged in my head and wouldn't move, even after I thought of and nearly wrote down Wimbledon as a second possibility.

One for the (line) judges: Matthias for Matthew in ...Attention for $1000?

MFalk et al., I'm sure you recognize Tony's name from elsewhere. Big props to Mr. H -- gonna go watch Thursday's now.

MinnesotaMyron
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 999
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:53 pm

Re: Wednesday, December 7, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by MinnesotaMyron » Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:29 pm

reddpen wrote:One for the (line) judges: Matthias for Matthew in ...Attention for $1000?


Nope. Matthias was a different guy entirely. Chosen (In Acts) to replace Judas.

Turd Ferguson
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 862
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:47 pm

Re: Wednesday, December 7, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Turd Ferguson » Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:06 pm

reddpen wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:I knew one place where Tony's name was familiar: http://sites.google.com/site/iqausa/ #101

alietr wrote:Quite a few familiar names on there

If you scroll down far enough on that page you'll see this:
Location: St. Louis, Missouri
Host: Rob Severson
minus the ø
alietr wrote:including one significantly higher who will be on next week ...

At which point this board may bust a nut.


Ooh, the suspense! I had looked at the list and wondered who Andy was referring to. I'm perhaps also glad right now I wasn't able to do quiz this year ("scheduling conflicts"), for fear of just how far down that list my name would appear.

User avatar
boson
Trivial
Posts: 1049
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:01 pm

Re: Wednesday, December 7, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by boson » Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:43 am

alietr wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:I knew one place where Tony's name was familiar: http://sites.google.com/site/iqausa/ #101


Quite a few familiar names on there, including one significantly higher who will be on next week ...


So jeopardy.com and the above website have revealed alietr's hint:

[spoiler]Boomie Aglietti will be on J! this week, after placing 20th in North America on the World Quizzing Championships. This is above some notable TOC contestants...[/spoiler]

User avatar
alietr
Site Admin
Posts: 4938
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:20 pm
Location: Bethesda, MD

Re: Wednesday, December 7, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by alietr » Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:14 pm

Tomorrow (Tuesday) night. And I don't want to say Boomie's good, but his team beat Roger's the night I met him.

Austin Powers
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1556
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:09 pm

Re: Wednesday, December 7, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Austin Powers » Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:44 pm

I am assuming, and hoping, that it is a total pillaging of the Jeopardy set by Boomie.

User avatar
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool
Posts: 3036
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:53 pm

Re: Wednesday, December 7, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Woof » Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:31 pm

Austin Powers wrote:I am assuming, and hoping, that it is a total pillaging of the Jeopardy set by Boomie.


Hey, if this contestant couldn't pillage J!, what hope for Boomie? I'm totally psyched to see him in action, though, as he's one of the few prospective contestants (can you name the others, AP?) who strikes fear in my heart.

User avatar
alietr
Site Admin
Posts: 4938
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:20 pm
Location: Bethesda, MD

Re: Wednesday, December 7, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by alietr » Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:34 pm

I knew exactly who that was before I clicked on it I think his appearance was an aberration.

User avatar
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material
Posts: 1871
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:24 pm
Location: Atlanta, Georgia

Re: Wednesday, December 7, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by StevenH » Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:57 pm

Woof wrote:
Austin Powers wrote:I am assuming, and hoping, that it is a total pillaging of the Jeopardy set by Boomie.


Hey, if this contestant couldn't pillage J!, what hope for Boomie? I'm totally psyched to see him in action, though, as he's one of the few prospective contestants (can you name the others, AP?) who strikes fear in my heart.


I think that Dave Simpson is the closest example I can think of to someone else who would fall into that category.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Majestic-12 [Bot], MSNbot Media and 8 guests