Friday, December 9, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Friday, December 9, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6265, 2011-12-09

CONTESTANTS
Nicole Willson, a web designer from Centerville, Virginia
Drew Bayers, a music supervisor originally from Milford, Connecticut
William Castañeda, a human resources professional from San Francisco, California (whose 1-day cash winnings total $9,400)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thanks, Johnny. Tough final on yesterday's program. That's why William's total of $9,400 is not as impressive as some of the previous wins so far this week. But Drew and Nicole, it can all turn around in just one half-hour. You know that. Bill knows it. Let's see what happens in this one. Here we go into the Jeopardy! Round, and your categories are...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
BODIES OF WATER (5/5)
HIP HOP HOOPSTERS (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
CAIN & ABEL (5/5)
FIRST LADIES (5/5)
CANCELED! (3/5)
TRANSPOSITION WORDS (4/5) (Alex: Each correct response will be a shorter word that can be formed from the letters in "transposition".)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
William: 15 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Nicole: 7 R (including 1 rebound), 0 W
Drew: 4 R, 2 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 4
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,800

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
William found the Daily Double on the 13th clue. William had $6,000, Drew had $200, and Nicole was at $200. William wagered $2,000.

HIP HOP HOOPSTERS $400: This former hubby of Eva Longoria had some success in his native France with his hip hop album "TP"
(Alex: Star with the San Antonio Spurs.)

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
William: $8,200
Nicole: $600
Drew: $200

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: There's a bit of a celebrity connection with our two challengers on the program today. Nicole Willson from Centerville, Virginia, once did some work for Hillary Clinton, am I correct?

Nicole: Uh, yes, back when she was First Lady. I used to volunteer to just help sort the mail she got, because as you can imagine, she got tons of it. So that was a busy job all in and of itself.

Alex: And what happened one day when some food arrived?

Nicole: Uh, some--some person decided to send a piece of his sandwich to Hillary to see if she could find out if it had been poisoned.

[Drew and William chuckle]

Alex: Of course, that's what we all expect of our First Ladies.

Nicole: Sure!

Alex: "Do you want to test this sandwich, ma'am, please?"

[Nicole laughs]

Alex: Oh, boy.

Alex: All right, Drew Bayers--music supervisor, originally from Connecticut, who had to go to an emergency room and was kind of dressed as, or appearing as...

Drew: Um, two Halloweens ago, I went as Conan O'Brien, um, which was an easy costume to do. Unfortunately, I fell in a friend's bathroom, hit my head on his tub, so a couple hours later, I was getting a CAT scan with fr-freckles drawn on and a large pompadour.

[Laughter]

Alex: Right.

Drew: It was memorable.

Alex: William Castañeda is our champion. Now when people travel abroad, we don't think about bad things happening, until they happen. And then we say, "Oh, my gosh." My family and I were leaving Cairo at 6:00 one morning, we were checking in at the airline, and they said, "Oh, we have no reservations for you."

[Drew gasps]

Alex: "You people went back to London yesterday." Now what happened to you?

William: Um, well, while I was in Spain at the Alhambra, about 3 weeks into a 6-week tour of Europe, uh, the ATM there ate my ATM card, so I--

Alex: So you had no access to cash?

William: Yes. I had had to jury-rig some things with a friend who was wiring money and managed to make it work, but that was very, uh, very scary.

Alex: Yeah. Th-there's another solution to that kind of problem. It's called robbery.

William: Okay. [Laughs]

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
CANCELED! $600: Reason school was canceled in Pensacola Feb. 12, 2010--it's an every-20-year kind of thing
(William: What is a hurricane?)
(Alex: [*] way down there in Pensacola.)

CANCELED! $800: The final round in the NCAA Division III women's golf championships May 13, 2011--due to this
(Alex: What is rain?)
(Alex: Be more specific.)
(Drew: What is a hurricane?)
(Alex: Golfers will usually play in the rain, unless there is a danger of [*], and then they will call off the play.)

HIP HOP HOOPSTERS $600: This former University of Michigan & Sacramento Kings star raps as "C. Webb"

TRANSPOSITION WORDS $800: It's a type of bean or horse

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
William: $9,200
Nicole: $4,600
Drew: $800
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Friday, December 9, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
BOTTLES OF WATER (5/5)
THE WORLD PRESS (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
WHAT A 19th CENTURY CHARACTER (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
CLASSICAL GAS (3/5)
BIOPIC SUBJECTS (5/5)
IT ENDS WITH "U" (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Drew: 11 R (including 1 rebound), 0 W
Nicole: 9 R (including 1 DD), 1 W (including 1 DD)
William: 6 R, 2 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 3
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $3,600

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Nicole snagged the next Daily Double on the 8th clue. William had $10,000, Drew had $4,000, and Nicole was at $7,000. Nicole wagered $4,000.

WHAT A 19th CENTURY CHARACTER $1200: Mr. Woodhouse, eternally preoccupied with health & food, is the father of this Austen title character

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Nicole who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 29th clue. William had $15,200, Drew had $10,800, and Nicole was at $17,800. Nicole wagered $2,000.

THE WORLD PRESS $1600: Translate the name of Tulsa's leading newspaper into French & you have this Paris daily
(Nicole: Um... what is... what is the Journal...?)
(Alex: No. Tulsa's newspaper is The World, and you translate it into French, and it is [*].)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
WHAT A 19th CENTURY CHARACTER $800: It's the noble title of Aleksei Vronsky, who has an affair to remember with Anna Karenina

CLASSICAL GAS $800: Beethoven wrote a sonata & Tchaikovsky a symphony with this pity-evoking title

CLASSICAL GAS $2000: This French composer of "Danse Macabre" was writing music by the time he was 5
(William: Who is Chopin?)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Nicole: $15,800
William: $15,200
Drew: $12,800

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
"FIRST" PHRASES

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Four-fifths for first place.
Nicole: Wager $14,601 to cover William.
William: You're faced with a legitimate choice in strategy. You can either choose to cover Drew, hoping that you give the correct response and Nicole doesn't, in which case you'll want to wager $10,401 to cover Drew's doubled score, but no more than $14,000 if you want to top Nicole on a Triple Stumper; or bet up to $2,399 and win if both Nicole and Drew miss Final.
Drew: You ought to try wagering between $2,401 and $8,000. This will top a $0 wager by William while still beating Nicole and William on the Triple Stumper (should Nicole wager to cover William's doubled score and William wager to cover your doubled score).

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The earliest known use of this term was in an Indianapolis Star opinion piece of September 20, 1914

FINAL SCORES
Drew: $12,800 + $6,400 = $19,200 (What is the 'First' World War?) (New champion: $19,200)
William: $15,200 - $15,200 = $0 (What is the first world?) (3rd place: $1,000)
Nicole: $15,800 - $9,801 = $5,999 (What is World War I?) (2nd place: $2,000)
(Alex: The line was, "There is no doubt that ... the feared 'European War' ... will become a world war in the full sense of the word.")
[ERRATUM: As the clue suggested, the quote was actually "There is no doubt that ... the feared 'European War' ... will become the [*] in the full sense of the word."]

Total Potential Lach Trash: $6,400

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Nicole: $15,000, 16 R (including 1 DD), 1 W (including 1 DD)
William: $13,600, 21 R (including 1 DD), 3 W
Drew: $12,800, 15 R, 2 W
Combined Coryat: $41,400

BATTING AVERAGES
William: 21/59 = .356
Drew: 16/58 = .276
Nicole: 16/60 = .267
Team: 53/63 = .841

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
CAIN & ABEL $1000: This other brother of Cain & Abel was born after the murder
[Applause for William's run of the category.]
(Alex: Another $1,000 for you. And you're on a roll. William, select.)

CANCELED! $400: All scheduled flights in & out of Heathrow Airport April 18, 2010 were canceled due to this
(Alex: You are right, yes, the eruption on Iceland, and that takes you into second place with $600. I'm sure you will welcome this break to gather yourselves and make the big charge against William when we come back.)

FIRST LADIES $400: (Kelly of the Clue Crew reports from a presidential library.) In letters from 1840, she wrote both ways on the page to save paper & money; ironically, she was pilloried by the press for spending too much as First Lady

HIP HOP HOOPSTERS $1000: Once part of a notorious brawl, this star defender now a Laker tells his side on the "My World" CD
(Alex: Yes, better known now as Metta World Peace.)

FIRST LADIES $600: She prevented the British from burning Gilbert Stuart's painting of Washington, which still hangs in the East Room
(Alex: Correct, with a minute to go.)

FIRST LADIES $800: After meeting her future husband in Sunday school, she enrolled in a Kansas City, Missouri finishing school
(Drew: Who is Mamie Eisenhower?)

FIRST LADIES $1000: Appropriately, this First Lady was "full of grace"

CLASSICAL GAS $1200: Mozart wrote this evening serenade in 1787 while working on "Don Giovanni"

IT ENDS WITH "U" $400: This flightless bird is related to the cassowary
(William: What is the... [taps lectern, sighs])

CORRECT RESPONSES
Tony Parker
snow
lightning
Chris Webber
pinto
Emma
Le Monde
count
Pathétique
Camille Saint-Saëns
First World War
Seth
a volcanic eruption
Mary Todd Lincoln
Ron Artest
Dolley Madison
Bess Truman
Grace Coolidge
Eine kleine Nachtmusik
the emu
Samer
Valued Contributor

Re: Friday, December 9, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Samer »

Since alietr said no spoiler tags are necessary . . . :)

How often has it been that all three contestants knew the right answer, but only one of them has gotten it right?
heelsrule1988
Sports Jeopardy! Alum/VVL #19

Post by heelsrule1988 »

Once again, another misleading FJ. I didn't think "First World War" would have been used until after the second World War.
DWS
Jeopardy! Fan

Post by DWS »

FJ was an instaget for me (based on "first" and the date) and I didn't think it was misleading at all. Imagine that nuclear war broke out tomorrow. One could certainly call it the "first nuclear war" because we haven't had one before. As for the incorrect responses, it is unclear whether William forgot to include "war" in his response or meant for it just to be "first world." As for Nicole, she simply blew it by not paying enough attention to the category title. Kind of a disappointing end to the game.
xxaaaxx
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by xxaaaxx »

Instaget FJ, though I spent a few seconds afterward convincing myself that I hadn't missed anything obvious.

I found Nicole's wager quite amusing. Sure, she would've won if she had remembered the category, but has she ever watched this show before? What on Earth made her think a 2nd place player would bet conservatively enough to risk not covering him?
billy pilgrim

Post by billy pilgrim »

The quote Alex read did NOT contain the word "First".
She caught the Katy and left me a mule to ride.
HugoZ
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by HugoZ »

heelsrule1988 wrote:Once again, another misleading FJ. I didn't think "First World War" would have been used until after the second World War.
It is my First Beer today, whether or not there is a Second Beer.

Interesting article here, especially if you're a taxonomy groupie (Carl Linnaeus! He's soooo dreamy!). Lowercase usage 1914, uppercase usage 1920.

ETA:
billy pilgrim wrote:The quote Alex read did NOT contain the word "First".
Correct, but see the link above for the entire quote.
messyjesse
Contributor

Post by messyjesse »

FJ was instaget for me as well. "First" was a dead giveaway as soon as I finished comprehending the clue; nothing else even crossed my mind. Very disappointed in the ending, too, given how strong each player looked throughout the game.

Maybe it was just me but those rounds seemed to go by in a hurry. I'll have to look at the archive, but I hardly remember any clues from it, less than a half hour after the show ended. Kinda strange too given the uniqueness of a few of the categories (Canceled and Bottles of Water specifically). I thought the "water fine" was way too dead a giveaway for a $2,000 clue. That was the only one I got in the entire category. Time to go brush up on my brands of bottled water, I guess.

Drew is one of the less intimidating champions I can recall. Went for low-value clues quite a bit and wasn't a beast on the buzzer. I'm hoping he proves me wrong with a strong second showing.
"No man is an island, so they say, although the small crustaceans and the bird which sat impassively on Dirk Manhope's chest as he floated lazily in the pool would probably disagree."
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

At least someone around here listens to me ...

I immediately went to "First Lady" since I knew it didn't come into use until long after the first presidency (although it was actually 1849), but didn't like that one since it had been a category. I looked at the date again, and it finally clicked.

That was one tough way to lose the game for Nicole. Dang.
messyjesse
Contributor

Post by messyjesse »

Oh, I did want to mention something that did nip at me a little bit: Nicole's DD wager. If I recall, she had a $2400 lead and there was just a $2000 clue left on the entire board. She could have secured the lead going into FJ by just betting small and ignoring the last clue whether she knew it or not. A $2000 wager in that situation does absolutely nothing for her.
"No man is an island, so they say, although the small crustaceans and the bird which sat impassively on Dirk Manhope's chest as he floated lazily in the pool would probably disagree."
billy pilgrim

Post by billy pilgrim »

HugoZ wrote:
billy pilgrim wrote:The quote Alex read did NOT contain the word "First".
Correct, but see the link above for the entire quote.
Having now seen the quote, I have to wonder why on earth Alex would leave out that one word. He must have just misread it. I mean it was a pretty important word in this context.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Sometimes I think the producers aren't hard enough on Alex to re-record critical mistakes. Any viewer at home that was paying attention had to be confused by Alex's misquotation in light of the category name and the explanation for why Nicole's response was incorrect.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Instaget FJ for me, too, after two very easy boards. OTOH, I really disliked the Canceled category, which I felt asked the players to guess which metereological condition they were looking for. Yes, golf gets canceled for lightning, SF has fog and it doesn't snow in Pensacola very often, but those were pretty lame question IMO.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

seaborgium wrote:Some FJ misses of mine can ultimately inform my body of knowledge, or even my thinking process, for the rest of my life. What I'm trying to say is, having failed and lost on "sniper," I was not gonna miss this one.
I recalled this quote from the 11/30 game thread it tonight it applied to me. The only FJ clue I missed on the show (Yeah, I know I only played two.) dealt with the Nobel Prize and 1914. Tonight I was not going to miss another clue using that year although I had to work it out. First I wondered if the Indy paper was a hint. That did nothing. My precalls were already out with:

First do no harm
First in war, first in peace, first in the hearts of his countrymen (or last in the American League)

1914 was the trigger and I made sure to follow the format dictated by the category. I'm surprised Drew didn't complete the incorrect trifecta with The Great War.

The fog/Blue Angels clue? I can share how I was stumped. The Blue Angels were canceled in 2009? They definitely flew two years ago. Fog of course makes sense but I tried to remember if the anti Blue Angels (oh no, they'll crash into a building) politicians, old fogeys hating the noise or anti anything military protesters actually managed to make their wish come true.

It was too much for me to sort through to find the obvious response. Because the Angels arrive on Thursday for test runs for Fleet Week they are up in the air four days, so there it never seems like they are canceled.

William showed how meaningless a good first round was as Drew and Nicole got the hang of things with bigger amount clues in the DJ round. Drew does not seem like a repeat champ to me, but William and Nicole were good players so we'll see what Monday brings.
Last edited by MarkBarrett on Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

messyjesse wrote:Oh, I did want to mention something that did nip at me a little bit: Nicole's DD wager. If I recall, she had a $2400 lead and there was just a $2000 clue left on the entire board. She could have secured the lead going into FJ by just betting small and ignoring the last clue whether she knew it or not. A $2000 wager in that situation does absolutely nothing for her.
Yes, her poor wagering on a penultimate clue DD foretold her FJ wagering.

I noticed the quote was a month after the Archduke was killed and figured it had to be the first world war.

Have we ever had a quotation marks FJ before?
billy pilgrim

Post by billy pilgrim »

Robert K S wrote:Sometimes I think the producers aren't hard enough on Alex to re-record critical mistakes. Any viewer at home that was paying attention had to be confused by Alex's misquotation in light of the category name and the explanation for why Nicole's response was incorrect.
Yes. Not to mention what Nicole must have thought.
billy pilgrim

Post by billy pilgrim »

Woof wrote:Instaget FJ for me, too, after two very easy boards. OTOH, I really disliked the Canceled category, which I felt asked the players to guess which metereological condition they were looking for. Yes, golf gets canceled for lightning, SF has fog and it doesn't snow in Pensacola very often, but those were pretty lame question IMO.
Me too. And just for what it's worth, golf gets cancelled for rain all the time. I don't know how one was to guess which. I mean did they expect people to remeber the specific tournament? Bad clue in a bad category.
billy pilgrim

Post by billy pilgrim »

MarkBarrett wrote: First in war, first in peace, first in the hearts of his countrymen (or last in the American League)
That would make a dandy little "Before and After" clue.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

xxaaaxx wrote:I found Nicole's wager quite amusing. Sure, she would've won if she had remembered the category, but has she ever watched this show before? What on Earth made her think a 2nd place player would bet conservatively enough to risk not covering him?
I suppose she was offering a tie, in a way, to William. (Either that, or she was just counting on William to be wrong, or she made a mistake reading the scores, or...) Sort of dangerous, since wagers to cover don't always end in 01. And the two previous games had first place wagering to cover by more than a dollar, and that included the very guy she was not covering! (Donna Vogel did a bit better the one time she underwagered from first: she covered third place by $300 while second place covered third by $100, and they both got FJ right. I like to call this sort of wager the "Vogel minority.")

My dad blurted out "first world war" about ten seconds in. I was spinning my wheels, nowhere close to figuring it out at the time, so I'll count it as a miss.