Sports Jeopardy Ep. 6 [Spoilers]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Ryno
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Sports Jeopardy Ep. 6 [Spoilers]

Post by Ryno »

It's an even numbered episode of Sports Jeopardy so I thought that I would follow the pattern and start the topic post. Dan Patrick was in fine form this game really mixing it up with the contestants. The hockey DD seemed to be a pure matter of induction (hmm 100' feet seems like a round number, then subtract 89). Looks like we have a score that may stay high in the rankings for a while.

Lach Trash: Carey Hart, Billy Mills, caber, Randy Barnes, James Hunt.

BTW, I thought "Rush" was a great movie so it was good to see it referenced. FJ got me, after a few seconds I just guessed Pete Rose just to have something.
One time swimmer in the Jeopardy! pool
jpr281
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: Sports Jeopardy Ep. 6 [Spoilers]

Post by jpr281 »

I thought this was the hardest board yet on SJ! And I'll admit I thought Maris was in the Hall, so I was thinking of someone from the Black Sox (not Shoeless Joe, who was already mentioned earlier).
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I got FJ, but it took me a bit. I started trying to think of someone from way back, but nothing came and then Maris dawned on me.

I also got the hockey rink DD right as a guess. I'm not a hockey fan, so I do not know the dimensions of the rink, but a 200' length seemed like a nice round number so I went with 11' and got it right.

Not a great game to watch, but some of the categories were kind of out there.

Neeraj bet to be one point ahead if the he were wrong and one of the others doubled up. I wonder what they do if there is a tie. Would they both get the first place money or would Neeraj have gotten it due to being ahead before FJ?
LeFlaneur
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by LeFlaneur »

I was a little confused by FJ which had me looking for a "batting" champ specifically so I went with Hack Wilson. Wouldn't have gotten Maris anyway .
Lach Trash: James Hunt, Harvey Kuehn?,caber, Billy Mills(who's autograph I have by the way)Derrick Rose, and one of my favorite players of all time,Richie"Dick" Allen.
Fun game again.
Le Flaneur
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Not in the Baseball Hall of Fame
Despite holding a single-season batting record for 37 years, this man is not in the Baseball Hall of Fame.

Spoiler
Who is Roger Maris? Mark said Ron Santo; Daniel said Dean Palmer. Dan (the host) said WTF to that last guess.

Neeraj Joshi: $13,500+$3,499=$16,999...wins $5,000
Daniel Robertson: $5,000-$1=$4,999
Mark Harmon: $5,000-$1,000=$4,000
JFanForever
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by JFanForever »

I'm embarrassed. Missed FJ. Tough board for me today. Need to do more learning and studying. I wish I were on this show. I obviously know Maris but I couldn't think of the correct answer in time.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Ryno wrote:Looks like we have a score that may stay high in the rankings for a while.
Indeed, Neeraj is now second in the standings through 6 games. I certainly don't think there's any chance he survives to the final 3, but it might at least give him some rooting interest in watching the games for the next couple months. I remain disappointed at the overall performance of the contestants we've seen. Ever game has nice gets here and there, but also way too many inexplicable stand-and-stares and bizarre incorrect guesses. Only one score of $20K through 6 games? Very surprising.
JFanForever
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by JFanForever »

What does it take to get on to the show? I heard a lottery, but I applied a few more times on the website and heard nothing back.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

JFanForever wrote:What does it take to get on to the show? I heard a lottery, but I applied a few more times on the website and heard nothing back.
After applying, they called people to tryouts in the various audition cities. This would be where the lottery comes in. Just like the regular show, they don't have room for everyone who signed up to audition. I believe there have been reports that there would be more auditions for the taping of later episodes, so it's still possible that they could call you, or me, or anyone else who signed up. I don't think applying "a few more times" is likely to help your chances in any way.

At the audition is a test, which many described as being quite difficult, which is why I've been so surprised at the poor performance of many of the players that presumably passed the test.
JFanForever
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by JFanForever »

Well hard is subjective. What may be hard to someone may be easy to someone else. I admit today was my worst performance easily, but some triple stumps I was yelling at my laptop the answer and no one buzzed in.
heelsrule1988
Sports Jeopardy! Alum/VVL #19

Post by heelsrule1988 »

By far the toughest board we've seen thus far... especially in the Jeopardy round. Wow.

10/29: 13,750 (FJ: :()
legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

ANd also the first "theme among the category titles" board.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

20/48 for me, so I agree it was tough. The telephone pole for the caber was my favorite miss. McGwire and Giambi for the Bash Brothers had me open the trapdoor.

Dan Patrick had to use the trapdoor himself with Daniel's failed humor attempt on Trouble With The Curve being direct to video. Way to handle the contestant. [Applause.]

I had to work out the right name for the FJ! clue. "Batting" had me first think average and I had to quickly get rid of Rogers Hornsby, Ted Williams, George Brett, and Tony Gwynn. Next I thought of runs batted in and had to swat away Hack Wilson feeling confident his record still stands. When I got to home runs it was instantaneous Maris 61 in '61 +37 = '98 McGwire done.

With shows shown out of order we don't know the true leaderboard Neeraj saw although I would guess he had a chance to get on it. In his spot my wager would have been at least the lead of 8500 if a top 3 spot was possible or because of the category, all in. $5,000 is $5,000 so I get protecting that as the option he played.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

MarkBarrett wrote: With shows shown out of order we don't know the true leaderboard Neeraj saw although I would guess he had a chance to get on it. In his spot my wager would have been at least the lead of 8500 if a top 3 spot was possible or because of the category, all in. $5,000 is $5,000 so I get protecting that as the option he played.
You could see on his face as soon as the "Run TMC" DD clue showed up that he wished he had bet it all. That was his route to putting up a big total without having to risk the lead in FJ.
psgola
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by psgola »

T Roosevelt 3/4; Rough Riders 2/4; Strong moose 2/4; man arena 3/4'; speak softly 4/4; Carry stick 3/4
court defense 4/4; butkus 4/4; unit nicknames 2/4; cinema 2/4; world cup scorers 3/4; around the rink 1/4

Lach Trash: Lightweight, Derrick Rose, Billy Mills, Barnes (I only knew his last name)
Clint Eastwood, CJ Moseley, invincible, James Laurenitis

I don't think the 16,000 will hold up either.

Also I got FJ after about 5 seconds. I just looked at his stats, and pretty convinced Maris is not a hall of fame

On Neeraj' TD Banknorth Garden, would Boston Garden be accepted?

Hockey definitely was the tough category for me today, I would've guessed 10 feet on that DJ.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

psgola wrote:On Neeraj' TD Banknorth Garden, would Boston Garden be accepted?
Can't imagine it wouldn't be. That's been its nickname for a long while.
amorris525
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by amorris525 »

LeFlaneur wrote:I was a little confused by FJ which had me looking for a "batting" champ specifically so I went with Hack Wilson. Wouldn't have gotten Maris anyway .
Lach Trash: James Hunt, Harvey Kuehn?,caber, Billy Mills(who's autograph I have by the way)Derrick Rose, and one of my favorite players of all time,Richie"Dick" Allen.
Fun game again.
I thought they were looking for the same. I wish they had just said "single-season record" instead of what they went with
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

amorris525 wrote:I wish they had just said "single-season record" instead of what they went with
Then you would have had to run through pitchers as well. That's a pretty tall order for 30 seconds.
lieph82

Post by lieph82 »

econgator wrote:
amorris525 wrote:I wish they had just said "single-season record" instead of what they went with
Then you would have had to run through pitchers as well. That's a pretty tall order for 30 seconds.
I got this one, but even discounting pitchers, it's pretty poorly pinned down, isn't it? Had they gotten any response that played prior to 1977 and wasn't in the Hall of Fame, they would have had to do some fact-checking. There are a helluva lot of "batting records" out there. I don't see why "most Thursday RBI's against the White Sox in a single season*" wouldn't count.

*Actually a stat they showed on the big screen at Yankee stadium for a certain player last season.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

lieph82 wrote:it's pretty poorly pinned down, isn't it?
It is. There are basically an infinite number of single-season batting records. I was trying to think how to better pin it down and really couldn't come up with anything good. I think my best was:

Despite holding a single-season record of this Triple Crown component for 37 years, this man is not in the HoF.

Might make it too easy, but at least it pins it much better.