Thursday, December 8, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Re: Thursday, December 8, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by cinemaniax7 »

heelsrule1988 wrote:I'm surprised some of you didn't say Massachussets for FJ... Catholics and that state go hand-in-hand.
Not until the Irish Potato Famine.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Turd Ferguson wrote:After I made the suggestion, it was mentioned that while what I was suggesting wasn't Shore's Conjecture, it was in fact a "form" of Pawson's Gambit, though not one he ever actually employed (this was referred to in another old post by another poster as the "strong form" of Pawson's Gambit)... I remember a rather long thread evolving... you were there, and Dan was there, etc. :)
I thought about saying that I'd accept it if Dan himself endorsed it. Maybe I should have!
bkellysky
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by bkellysky »

Calvert didn't sign the Declaration, Carroll did and was Catholic.
Being Catholic and a fan of US History, 'Maryland' was the most likely answer, since there was a time when they had more religious toleration than other colonies.
At the time Carroll couldn't hold office in Maryland because only Protestants could hold office. But perhaps they sent him to the Continental Congress because he, having earned his fortune from his plantation, lent money to fund the revolution

Good to see the board back!
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

heelsrule1988 wrote:I'm surprised some of you didn't say Massachussets for FJ... Catholics and that state go hand-in-hand.
But it's pretty well known that the Catholic influx in Massachusetts was tied to the Irish Potato Famine, a 19th Century event. 18th Century Massachusetts is linked to the Puritans, who were hardly Catholic in their religious affiliations.

ETA: Yes, there's the Portuguese influence in P'town, too, but that was an outgrowth of the whaling industry, another 18th Century event.
Last edited by Woof on Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Woof wrote:
But it's pretty well known that the Catholic influx in Massachusetts was tied to the Irish Potato Famine, a 19th Century event. 18th Century Massachusetts is linked to the Puritans, who were hardly Catholic in their religious affiliations.
Not well known enough, it seems... :D
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Bamaman wrote:I ran through the colonies as fast as I could Georgia was settled by Oglethorpe's debtors. The Carolinas didn't seem right and I knew it couldn't be Virginia. I made the same mistake as someone else and thought Maryland was from William and Mary and moved on.
I made a dumber mistake. I thought, "Is it Virginia? Catholics like to name things after the BVM. Nah. Virginia's named after QE1, the Virgin Queen. So there aren't any colonies named after Mary. Huh. What else could it be? Well, for lack of a better answer, I'm saying Rhode Island."
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

dhkendall wrote:
Finally, judges, for the clue that had "Oregon State" as a correct response, I just said "Oregon" (I often forget your states usually have two universities with the state name: University of X and X State) - I know the short form is considered short for one of those, but which one? (ie is "Oregon" short for "Oregon State" or "University of Oregon"?)
If you lived here you could be lynched for asking that question.