TD 215: (Semi-)Classic Cinema III

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

goforthetie
(username no longer operative)

TD 215: (Semi-)Classic Cinema III

Post by goforthetie »

I've had several movie questions bouncing around for quite some time now, so I decided to just go full-out and make a quiz that was completely film-related. Thanks to RandyG for letting me horn in on his territory! I can't match his mastery of Hollywood's golden age - although a couple of questions do go old-school - but the cinema of the last 30-40 years can be fun, too, right? Play along and see!

The rules:

The goal of any Think Different game is to give correct answers that are given by very few other players; your score is based on the number of players that match your response (lower is better). As always, please do not use any outside resources (web searching, other people, etc.) to help you answer the questions.

For each question, your raw total will be the number of players who gave that answer. I will then scale these raw totals so that the most common correct answer - aka the "sheep answer" - is worth 30 points. For instance, if 10 players give the sheep answer, all raw totals on that question will be scaled by a factor of 3, so a correct unique answer will be worth 3 points.

You may choose one question to skip, by answering DROP, for a score of zero on that question. If you do not drop a question, I will reduce your score at the end of the game by 15 points. All incorrect answers will be worth 45 points. Your final score will be the sum of your scores on the questions. Lowest score wins!

Ground rules: All movies must be feature-length and have been released in US theatres, unless otherwise specified.

Please send entries via PM to me by 11:59 PM EST, on Monday, November 3, 2014.
Last edited by goforthetie on Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
goforthetie

The Questions

Post by goforthetie »

1. We'll start with something easy - everyone is super-familiar with Steven Spielberg, right? And yet, oddly, there's never been a TD question about him. Name a film he directed that earned an Oscar nomination for either Best Picture or Best Director (or both).

2. Continuing the theme of people that defined the mainstream of 30 years ago... The annual Quigley Poll asks movie exhibitors to vote for the top ten box office draws of the year. For instance, the top 10 for 2013 were Jennifer Lawrence, Sandra Bullock, Bradley Cooper, Tom Hanks, Denzel Washington, Leonardo DiCaprio, Robert Downey, Jr., Hugh Jackman, Brad Pitt, Melissa McCarthy. Name a movie star that appeared on the Quigley Top Ten Money-Making Stars list at least three times during the 1980s (1980-89). There are 12 correct answers.
Here is the list of actors who appeared on the top ten list exactly twice during the 80's: Hanks, Streep, Redford, Newman, Murray, Moore, Gibson, Williams, Travolta, Chase, Field, Gere, Turner, Parton, Midler. Nicholson appeared only once, believe it or not!
From the Quigley website: "The Quigley Poll, conducted each year since 1932, is an annual survey of motion picture theatre owners and film buyers, which asks them to vote for the ten stars that they believe generated the most box-office revenue for their theatres during the year. It has been long regarded as one of the most reliable indicators of a Star’s real box-office draw because the selections are made by professionals whose livelihood depends on choosing the films and actors that will bring audiences to their theatres. It draws a distinction among stars that happen to appear in hit films and those stars that Exhibitors and film buyers believe actually cause an audience to come to their theatres."

3. Speaking of Jennifer Lawrence, we'd better ask this question before her resume gets too long. Name a movie in which she had a role. Films belonging to the same series will be grouped together.

4. Ms. Lawrence shot from unknown to Oscar nominee to megastar in the blink of an eye. For others, even an Oscar nomination doesn't raise their profile. Below are photos of 12 nominees that have stayed fairly anonymous (or seem likely to), taken from the movies they were nominated for. Pick a photo and name the movie in which the nominated performance occurred. Please give the letter along with your answer.
All movies are from the past 20 years. I've tried to pick photos that hint at the movie in question.
BONUS: Give the name of the nominee you chose for 10% off your score on this question. You can get 10% off even if you get the name of the movie wrong! Obviously you cannot answer the bonus if you drop this question.
Spoiler

5. When creating its list of most memorable film quotes, the AFI first compiled a list of 400 nominees. Embedded below are all of the nominated quotes that use the word 'love'. Pick one and name the actor who spoke the line. Please include the letter with your answer. (Hint: these are in alphabetical order by movie title, although keep in mind that I want the actor, not the movie title.)
Spoiler
A. ALVY SINGER: Don't knock masturbation. It's sex with someone I love.
B.
LT. COL. BILL KILGORE: I love the smell of napalm in the morning.
C.
JONATHAN SHIELDS: Georgia, love is for the very young.
D.
SUGARPUSS O'SHEA: I love him because he's the kind of guy who gets drunk on a glass of buttermilk, and I love the way he blushes right up over his ears. I love him because he doesn't know how to kiss, the jerk!
E.
MARGUERITE GAUTIER: His eyes have made love to me all evening.
F.
DAVID WOODERSON: That's what I love about these high school girls, man. I keep getting older, they stay the same age.
G.
SAM WHEAT: It's amazing, Molly. The love inside, you take it with you.
H.
DIXON STEELE: I was born when she kissed me. I died when she left me. I lived a few weeks while she loved me.
I.
OLIVER BARRETT IV: Love means never having to say you're sorry.
J.
WYATT EARP: Mac, you ever been in love? MAC: No, I've been a bartender all my life. (Note: For this quote, just give the actor who spoke the first line.)
K.
REV. HARRY POWELL: Would you like me to tell you the little story of right hand, left hand? The story of good and evil? H-A-T-E. It was with this left hand that old brother Cain struck the blow that laid his brother low. L-O-V-E. You see these fingers, dear hearts? These fingers has veins that run straight to the soul of man -- the right hand, friends, the hand of love.
L.
COUNT LEON D'ALGOUT: Ninotchka, it's midnight. One half of Paris is making love to the other half.
M.
JEFF BAILEY: You know, maybe I was wrong and luck is like love. You have to go all the way to find it.
N.
GEORGE EASTMAN: I love you. I've loved you since the first moment I saw you. I guess maybe I’ve even loved you before I saw you.
O.
HARRY LIME: In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, and they had 500 years of democracy and peace. And what did that produce? The cuckoo clock.
6. Name someone who has been awarded* an Oscar for acting whose voice can be heard in a Pixar movie.
*: This can be a honorary award.
I am almost certain that every Pixar movie to date has at least one correct answer, given the way I have worded the question. In any event, I will grade things as if that's the case. (Hint, hint!)

7. Sequels happen all the time and trilogies are almost passe now. Let's go one further: Name a movie series that has had exactly four films released.
Rebooted series are counted separately, but spin-off movies that exist in the same universe as the original films still count as part of the series, even if a lead actor gets swapped out, or a different character is made the focus. Movies that merge multiple previous franchises, however, count as a new franchise. For instance, Prometheus counts as part of the Alien franchise, but The Avengers does not count for Iron Man. Feel free to PM me if you have other specific questions about how I'm counting things.

8. The most significant director-actor pairing of all time might very well have been Akira Kurosawa and Toshiro Mifune, who made 16 films together. Kurosawa once said of Mifune, "I am proud of nothing I have done other than with him." Name a Kurosawa-directed film that features Toshiro Mifune.
Hint: The pair stopped working together after 1965. Kurosawa became much less prolific after the split, so it doesn't matter too much, but you don't want to guess Ran, which premiered in 1985 and is easily Kurosawa's most famous film that doesn't feature Mifune. For this question you don't have to worry about whether the film saw a US release.

9. Pick one of the photos below and give the name that the pet is usually called in the pictured movie. Please include the letter with your answer.
Spoiler
10. Name an actor who has played Robin Hood on screen.
Voice actors are OK. The character's name does not have to be 'Robin Hood' exactly - although it should be close - as long as it is clear, e.g., from the movie title, that the character is based on the Robin Hood of traditional lore.

11. I have taken every film since 1999 that has a certain property and selected a shot from the film; these shots are compiled in the image below. Name one of the movies.
You do not have to tell me which picture your movie corresponds to. None of the movies is obscure. I anticipate that I might have to give 'Be More Specific' to certain responses, so be forewarned.
BONUS: For 10% off your score on this question, what is the common property? You may answer the bonus even if you drop this question, in which case a correct answer will be worth a deduction of 1.5 points. (Hint: Why did I choose these particular shots?)
Spoiler
12. Let's wrap things up. Name a movie with at least 10,000 votes at IMDb whose title starts with the letter Z.
10000 votes is a fairly low bar; every Z movie I could think of is over 10,000 and there are over a dozen correct answers. For reference, a movie called Zabriskie Point that I've never heard of has 8915 votes. Titles beginning with 'The' or 'A' do not count.
Last edited by goforthetie on Mon Oct 27, 2014 1:43 pm, edited 3 times in total.
goforthetie

Clarifications

Post by goforthetie »

All movies must be feature-length and have been shown in US theatres to count, unless otherwise specified.

11: Another way to describe things: the movies selected are the only movies since 1999 that satisfy a certain criterion.

7: All movies that purport to stem from the same root movie count as one series. So, for instance, if there is Jeopardy the Movie, Jeopardy 2, Jeopardy: The Mustache Returns, and then a couple decades later comes Ken's Revenge, which is based on Jeopardy the Movie, but ignores the events of the other two sequels, I'd still lump them all together.

12: To be clear, a movie title that begins with 'The' or 'A' will be marked incorrect.

If any of these clarifications cause you to rethink an answer, and you haven't done intervening research, let me know via PM.
Last edited by goforthetie on Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:19 pm, edited 4 times in total.
immaf
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Re: TD 215: (Semi-)Classic Cinema III

Post by immaf »

In question #11, does "property" mean "prop", or does it mean something like "attribute" or "quality" or "feature"?
Teems with quiet fun.
goforthetie

Post by goforthetie »

immaf wrote:In question #11, does "property" mean "prop", or does it mean something like "attribute" or "quality" or "feature"?
The latter. Fuller explanation in the clarifications post.
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

" a movie called Zabriskie Point that I've never heard of has 8915 votes." Well there goes your movie nerd cred right there.
goforthetie

Post by goforthetie »

Bumpety bump.

Some fantastic answers are in already, but singletons galore still await!
Peggles
Grand Exalted Queen of the Universe

Post by Peggles »

Is there any way to enlarge the photos in Question 11?
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Peggles wrote:Is there any way to enlarge the photos in Question 11?
Hold down the CTRL key and scroll your mouse wheel.
goforthetie

Post by goforthetie »

I'd like to remind everyone that all movies must be feature-length and have been shown in US theatres to count, unless otherwise specified, as was specified in post 3.
Peggles wrote:Is there any way to enlarge the photos in Question 11?
You could do what econgator suggests (open the image in its own tab first, rather than have the spoiler box cut it off), or, if you'd like higher resolution, PM me and tell me which ones. There are a few that I'd rather not give higher resolution on, though.
Vermonter
2003 College Champion

Post by Vermonter »

Possible spoiler for the Kurosawa film
Spoiler
Like Kurosawa, I make mad films
K, I don't make films
But if I did, they'd have a samurai
Hate bad wagering? Me too. Join me at The Final Wager.
Peggles
Grand Exalted Queen of the Universe

Post by Peggles »

goforthetie wrote:I'd like to remind everyone that all movies must be feature-length and have been shown in US theatres to count, unless otherwise specified, as was specified in post 3.

You could do what econgator suggests (open the image in its own tab first, rather than have the spoiler box cut it off), or, if you'd like higher resolution, PM me and tell me which ones. There are a few that I'd rather not give higher resolution on, though.
Thanks.
goforthetie

Post by goforthetie »

Just over one day to get your entry in!

clprez, check your messages.
schoe
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: The Questions

Post by schoe »

goforthetie wrote: ...
12. Let's wrap things up. Name a movie with at least 10,000 votes at IMDb whose title starts with the letter Z.
10000 votes is a fairly low bar; every Z movie I could think of is over 10,000 and there are over a dozen correct answers. For reference, a movie called Zabriskie Point that I've never heard of has 8915 votes. Titles beginning with 'The' or 'A' do not count.
Does this mean that a leading "The" or "A" does not count against the z-ness of the answer, or that a movie with a leading "The" or "A" does not count as a correct answer? For example, if there was a movie called "The Z-Ness", would that be a valid answer or no?
goforthetie

Post by goforthetie »

'The Z-Ness' would not be correct.
goforthetie

Post by goforthetie »

Due to early meetings I won't be able to post the first question until tomorrow afternoon so you procrastinators have a bit of a reprieve. Can we break 50 entries?
schoe
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by schoe »

Did you get my submission? I am trying to send as a PM, but it seems to keep getting caught only in the drafts folder and not sent...?
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

schoe wrote:Did you get my submission? I am trying to send as a PM, but it seems to keep getting caught only in the drafts folder and not sent...?
Do you mean the outbox? PM's stay in the outbox until read by the recipient.
goforthetie

Post by goforthetie »

Got it. We're up to 49.

Reveal will begin around 2pm eastern, so if you want to be lucky number 50 you've got a little bit of time left.
schoe
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by schoe »

econgator wrote:
schoe wrote:Did you get my submission? I am trying to send as a PM, but it seems to keep getting caught only in the drafts folder and not sent...?
Do you mean the outbox? PM's stay in the outbox until read by the recipient.
Ah, that might have been it.