Wednesday, November 5, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, November 5, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6933, 2014-11-05

CONTESTANTS
Hillary Huttenhower, a materials engineer from Manchester, Connecticut
Aric Wiest, a curator from Kansas City, Missouri
Caitlin Malcuit, a writer and editor from North Reading, Massachusetts (whose 1-day cash winnings total $12,200)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny Gilbert. Ladies and gentlemen, I wanna start today's program with a quick reminder that this coming Monday we begin our annual Tournament of Champions featuring some of the best players from last year, including some of your favorites--Arthur Chu and Julia Collins. So, please, set aside some time to tune us in starting next week. Caitlin, Aric, and Hillary, good luck to all three of you today. Here we go into the Jeopardy! Round, and here are the categories that await you...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
EYEBROW-BEATING YOU (4/5)
TV (5/5)
"I" LAND HOPPING (4/5)
LITERARY TERMS (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
RHYME TIME (5/5)
TASTY ITALIANS (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Hillary: 10 R, 0 W
Caitlin: 7 R (including 1 rebound), 0 W
Aric: 9 R, 2 W (including 1 DD)

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 3
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,200

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Hillary: $4,600
Aric: $1,600
Caitlin: $1,200

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: As a teenager, Hillary Huttenhower was a licensed skydiver, but now she is a competitive ballroom dancer.

Hillary: This is true. I've been ballroom dancing since I was in college, so over 10 years at this point. And I like to tell people the story, uh, my husband Justin, that's how he knew when he really liked me when we were dating is he started taking dance lessons so that he could dance with me.

Alex: That's the ultimate sign of love and respect for your mate, isn't it?

Hillary: Well, he did a lovely job.

Alex: Okay, good for you.

Alex: Aric Wiest from Kansas City, Missouri. You have done something no other contestant on Jeopardy! has ever done and it has to do with Kazakhstan.

Aric: Kazakhstan. I got to visit some friends in Kazakhstan. And one of them lives down in a small town called Turgen near the mountains and got to ride some of her horses out there.

Alex: And those are special horses, aren't they, in that part of the world?

Aric: Yeah, they--they are and, uh, I was about--probably about twice as big as the kids that were out in the mountains taking care of them. So, mine, after about half an hour, she just went right back to the corral. I just tied her off and I said, "That was--that's enough."

Alex: Hey, it's food--it's feeding time.

Aric: That's right.

Alex: They know.

Alex: All right, let's deal with our champion now, Caitlin Malcuit. Speaking of animals...

Caitlin: Mm-hmm.

Alex: You have a dream about animals, smaller ones.

Caitlin: I sure do. I'd love to own, um, lots of miniature animals, miniature horses, alpacas, donkeys...

Alex: What about the, uh, miniature pigs?

Caitlin: Oh, yeah, yeah, mini pigs, definitely.

Alex: Okay, well, if you earn enough money on our program, then you can afford to buy a mini pig.

Caitlin: Teacup pig, yup.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Aric found the Daily Double on the 27th clue. Caitlin had $2,600, Aric had $3,800, and Hillary was at $5,000. Aric wagered $1,300.

LITERARY TERMS $800: Parody makes fun of a literary style; this other 6-letter term makes fun of human weaknesses
(Aric: What is folly?)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
"I" LAND HOPPING $1000: It was created from 3 Ottoman provinces shortly after World War I

EYEBROW-BEATING YOU $600: Seen here are the brows of this sage of Sunday night television

TASTY ITALIANS $600: Mario Cipollini ("Mario Wild Onions") is a famed sprinter in this beloved Euro-sport

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Hillary: $5,000
Aric: $4,500
Caitlin: $3,400
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, November 5, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
WORDS FROM THE TECH WORLD (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
FILMS OF THE 1950s (4/5)
HISTORICAL QUOTATIONS (3/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
BALLET (3/5)
THE NATIONAL PARK SYSTEM (1/3)
HEY, "DJ" (3/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Hillary: 11 R, 1 W
Aric: 7 R (including 1 DD), 4 W (including 1 DD)
Caitlin: 0 R, 2 W

Clues revealed: 28
Triple Stumpers: 9
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $10,800

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Aric snagged the next Daily Double on the 21st clue. Caitlin had $1,400, Aric had $6,500, and Hillary was at $12,200. Aric wagered $3,000.

WORDS FROM THE TECH WORLD $2000: This verb for what a computer does when it networks with another is used in office jargon to mean "meet & talk"

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Aric who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 23rd clue. Caitlin had $1,400, Aric had $10,300, and Hillary was at $12,200. Aric wagered $2,000.

HISTORICAL QUOTATIONS $1200: In 1170 Henry II asked, "Will no one rid me of this turbulent priest?", the priest being this man
(Aric: Friar Tuck? Who is Friar Tuck?)
(Alex: We have a minute to go.)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
FILMS OF THE 1950s $400: In the 1950s Grace Kelly starred in 2 "High" films: "High Society" & this one

HEY, "DJ" $1200: A large sailing ship often used for what's been described as a "seagoing dude ranch"

HEY, "DJ" $2000: It's the small strategically located city seen here

THE NATIONAL PARK SYSTEM $400: Arizona's Hubbell Trading Post National Historic Site has over 170 woven Navajo ones
(Aric: What are blankets?)

THE NATIONAL PARK SYSTEM $800: Arizona's Petrified Forest National Park includes some of this desert in the northeastern part of the state
(Caitlin: What is Death Valley?)
(Aric: What's the Sonoran Desert?)

BALLET $1200: This late flamboyant defector from the U.S.S.R. shared his last name with a czar
(Caitlin: Who is Alexander... ooh...)
(Alex: Oh, too much time.)

WORDS FROM THE TECH WORLD $1200: There's a preposition in this word for a solution that circumvents a problem without fixing it
(Hillary: What is bypass?)
(Aric: What's an end around?)

HISTORICAL QUOTATIONS $2000: This Greek leader said, "famous men have the whole earth as their memorial" (it also helps if you build the Parthenon)

BALLET $1600: This 1832 ballet may get its French title from the Latin silva, "forest"
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Hillary: $16,200
Aric: $9,900
Caitlin: $1,400

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
ARTISTS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Crush for first place.
Hillary: Wager $3,601 to cover Aric, but no more than $13,399 so as not to fall behind Caitlin's doubled score.
Aric: You have the hope of surpassing Hillary if you come up with the correct response. Bet at least $6,301 and as much as $7,100 to force Hillary to wager to win while still protecting your second place position from being usurped by Caitlin.
Caitlin: Unfortunately, your score is less than the difference between the scores of the first and second place players, so unless they both blunder, you're competing for second place and have no hopes of first. Wager as much as you desire, but remember, you'll have better chances of advancing to second place if you have a larger sum left over on a Triple Stumper.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Illustrations by this man show why his name has become the standard for children's book artistry

FINAL SCORES
Caitlin: $1,400 + $1,400 = $2,800 (Who is Caldicot?) (3rd place: $1,000)
Aric: $9,900 + $6,301 = $16,201 (Who is Caldecott?) (2nd place: $2,000)
Hillary: $16,200 + $3,601 = $19,801 (Who is Caldecott?) (New champion: $19,801)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $13,000

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Hillary: $16,200, 21 R, 1 W
Aric: $12,200, 16 R (including 1 DD), 6 W (including 2 DDs)
Caitlin: $1,400, 7 R, 2 W
Combined Coryat: $29,800

BATTING AVERAGES
Hillary: 22/58 = .379
Aric: 17/61 = .279
Caitlin: 8/58 = .138
Team: 47/63 = .746

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
TV $1000: "24: Live Another Day" was shot in & is set in this city
[Applause for Hilary's run of the category]
(Alex: You've been spending a lot of time watching television and today it pays off.)

RHYME TIME $800: A pleasant-smelling tramp or rover
(Aric: What is a... ah...)
(Alex: Oh, you took too much time.)

EYEBROW-BEATING YOU $200: This Muppet loves pigeons & bottlecaps & shares a fashionable "Sesame Street" address

EYEBROW-BEATING YOU $400: This '30s movie star said, "I've had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it"

EYEBROW-BEATING YOU $800: The Coyoacan house of this Mexican artist is now a museum bearing her name

EYEBROW-BEATING YOU $1000: In 1976, he was made Marshall of the U.S.S.R., the only party leader after Stalin to hold the highest military rank

FILMS OF THE 1950s $800: (Jimmy of the Clue Crew reports from Mount Rushmore, South Dakota.) Alfred Hitchcock always wanted to do a chase scene across the faces of Mount Rushmore; that chase scene became the climax of this 1959 thriller

HEY, "DJ" $1600: It's the small strategically located country seen here

HISTORICAL QUOTATIONS $800: At Fort Donelson, Tennessee, in 1862, he uttered his demand for unconditional & immediate surrender

THE NATIONAL PARK SYSTEM $2000: The only national parks now in the original 13 states are one each in North & South Carolina, & this beautiful park in Virginia

CORRECT RESPONSES
satire
Iraq
Andy Rooney
cycling
interface
Thomas Becket
High Noon
a windjammer
Bemidji
rugs
the Painted Desert
Alexander Godunov
a workaround
Pericles
La sylphide
(Randolph) Caldecott
London
a fragrant vagrant
Bert
Groucho Marx
Frida Kahlo
Brezhnev
North by Northwest
Djibouti
(Ulysses) Grant
Shenandoah
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

Artists
Illustrations by this man show why his name has become the standard for children's book artistry.

FJ110514.jpg
FJ110514.jpg (254.73 KiB) Viewed 7935 times
Spoiler
Who is Caldecott?

HIllary Huttenhower: $16,200+$3,601=$19,801...now a 1-day champion with $19,801
Aric Wiest: $9,900+$6,301=$16,201
Caitlin Malcuit: $1,400+$1,400=$2,800
Last edited by jeff6286 on Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

I think this will go down in history as the week of the champions who couldn't. And how nice of AT to namecheck two of our champion group members, Arthur Chu and Julia Collins, and only them.

Would they have accepted my answer of "baud rate" for "bandwidth"?
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
Abraxas

Post by Abraxas »

This game was better than the first two this week, but a bunch of triple stumpers, especially in Double Jeopardy! Hillary ran the TV category to start the game and looked impressive, but then had to hold off a challenge from Aric to win. I got 27 clues correct including Iraq, Andy Rooney, satire (DD), High Noon, Bemidji, rugs, and Painted Desert. I had no guess in FJ.
floridagator wrote:Would [the judges] have accepted my answer of "baud rate" for "bandwidth"?
This is what I said also, but I don't know how the judges would have ruled.
scrutinizer
Contributor

Post by scrutinizer »

floridagator wrote:
Would they have accepted my answer of "baud rate" for "bandwidth"?
Don't know if "they" would have, but I wouldn't. They are related, but are measurements of different things.
Dr. J
Decade Battler and Mustache Maker

Post by Dr. J »

All those years of plowing through Caldecott Award winning books as a child, and I never knew he was an illustrator!! Man, I would've bet the farm on this category and had a VERY red face at the reveal. I'm surprised (based on my own ignorance, of course) that it was a triple get!

I was happy to run the eyebrow category, though. Precalled Eugene Levy and Joan Crawford, but forgot how majestic Brezhnev's brows were.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I enjoyed this game. The only triple stumper that I remember surprising me was High Noon. I got "Painted Desert," but I thought that that clue needed more TOM.

Talk about over thinking the FJ clue. I spent the entire 30 seconds trying to think of a famous painter who would have created an image that looked like that. It turned out that the image wasn't even needed; all I had to do was name the medal for children's book illustrations!
Ryno

Post by Ryno »

Thomas Beckett tends to pop up from time to time, I remember that he was also a DD response from this past spring.

Lach Trash: Iraq, Andy Rooney, Thomas Beckett.

I guess this group was too young to remember Andy Rooney's famous eyebrows. I thought for sure that NBA basketball player Anthony Davis would also appear in that category.

Got FJ, after a bit of a cold streak these past few games. I knew Caldecott from studying up on children's lit & I tend to focus on awards.
One time swimmer in the Jeopardy! pool
Golf

Post by Golf »

Dr. J wrote:I was happy to run the eyebrow category, though. Precalled Eugene Levy and Joan Crawford, but forgot how majestic Brezhnev's brows were.
Friend of mine dressed up as Frida Kahlo for Halloween complete with massive unibrow. Good timing, because in the movie, Salma made it difficult to notice the eyebrows. :twisted:
Andromus

Post by Andromus »

Have to admit Caldecott never came to mind -- I had completely forgotten he was an illustrator. I ended up going with Tenniel.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

4/5 in Rhyme Time; couldn't pull fragrant vagrant.

0/5 in Tasty Italians. I thought gnocchi was by far the easiest.

Never heard of any of those TV shows.

Navajo rug/blanket seemed like a real trap clue. Don't they weave both?

"I" Land should've been 4/5 for me, but I could only get Indonesia in time.

Should've run literary too, but my brain was slowing down already and I could only get $200 and $600.

Lach Trash with Bemidji. Funny names stick with me.

Odd that $400 was the only TS in Films of the 1950s, as it was the only one I had an inkling on.

No guess on FJ! I've heard of the Caldecott Award but had no idea who Caldecott was.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Dr. J wrote:Precalled Eugene Levy and Joan Crawford, but forgot how majestic Brezhnev's brow was.
There. That's better.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
cosmos

Post by cosmos »

I had the workaround, but bit rate for bandwidth and connect for interface.
Spaceman Spiff
One-and-done J! Champ (and proud of it!)

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

StevenH wrote:I enjoyed this game. The only triple stumper that I remember surprising me was High Noon. I got "Painted Desert," but I thought that that clue needed more TOM.

Talk about over thinking the FJ clue. I spent the entire 30 seconds trying to think of a famous painter who would have created an image that looked like that. It turned out that the image wasn't even needed; all I had to do was name the medal for children's book illustrations!
The only reason I got "Painted Desert" was because the orchestra I'm in just played Grofe's Grand Canyon Suite, of which "Painted Desert" is one of the movements.

For FJ, I was flipping Caldecott and Newbery (sp?) -- knew they were children's book awards, one for writing and the other for illustrating. Went with the right one.
Last edited by Spaceman Spiff on Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

I've been to the Hubbell Trading Post, and living in New Mexico, you can't not know about those beautiful Navajo rugs.

It took a few seconds, but I came up with Caldecott. I don't think I've seen one of his illustrations before tonight's clue, though.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I had heard of the medal, but had no idea who he was. Wrote down Winslow Homer just to have something.

Did they say the ballet dancer's last name was that of a czar?

Unlike the last two days, I think this champ may repeat.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Bamaman wrote: Did they say the ballet dancer's last name was that of a czar?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boris_Godunov

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexander_Godunov
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Bamaman wrote: Did they say the ballet dancer's last name was that of a czar?
This is why I answered "Godunov" since that's the only last name of a Czar I know! (Don't know the ballet dancer at all)
floridagator wrote:And how nice of AT to namecheck two of our champion group members, Arthur Chu and Julia Collins, and only them.
Jeopardy! is promoting them - for different reasons, but they are the names most people are expected to know/remember. I didn't hear too many complaints about the Ken-hyping (and, to a lesser extent, Brad-hyping) in the BOD ads. I'm not too upset because I know how J! works.
TenPoundHammer wrote: Lach Trash with Bemidji.
Same Lach Trash here, but it's because we've been there many times (one of the most visited US places we've been to, actually) - the source of the Mississippi is very close to there (Bemidji is the first town of any considerable size on the Mississippi), which we also make a point of visiting and camping at when we're down there, and there's also a giant statue of Paul Bunyan and Babe in the town, along with several Paul Bunyan themed museums and other places. It may be the history and geography geek in me, but I highly recommend a visit to Lake Itasca and Bemidji (and, while you're at it, pop up and see me!)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

30 right.

Eye- 5; TV- 3; "I"- 3; Lit- 4; Rhyme- 3; Tasty- 2
Tech- 1; 1950s- 3; Quote- 4; Ballet- 1; Park- 0; "DJ"- 1

Lach trash: "Andy Rooney", "satire" (DD), "High Noon", "Thomas Becket" (DD)

The only person I thought of for FJ, based on the style, was Robert McCloskey. It turns out that Make Way for Ducklings did win a Caldecott Medal; I've heard of the medal, but not enough to recall it or him.