TD 216: Down Under

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

geolawyerman
Loyal Jeopardista

TD 216: Down Under

Post by geolawyerman »

Welcome to TD 216: Down Under. There are twelve questions, with two bonuses.

Rules:

1. All knowledge must come from your own brain. No research.
2. As always, the purpose of the game is to give the answer that is given by as few of the other players as possible. In this game, the lowest score wins.
3. Incorrect answers will score double (2x) the sheep.
4. You are allowed to DROP one question, which will give you a score of zero for that question. There is no bonus for not using a drop.
5. You are also allowed to RANDOMIZE one question instead of providing an answer. On that question, I will use a random number generator with a range of 1 to the sheep value to determine your score (in other words, you can score as low as 1 and as high as the sheep). A 1 or 2 will not count as a singleton or doubleton for tiebreaker purposes.
6. Ties will be broken by the number of correct responses, then the number of singletons, and then the number of doubletons. The last tiebreaker will be entry time.
7. PM your answers to me. Do not post them in this thread.
8. You have until Sunday, November 9 at 6 pm EST to enter.
Last edited by geolawyerman on Fri Nov 07, 2014 5:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
2016 Teen Tournament contestant
geolawyerman
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: TD 216: Down Under

Post by geolawyerman »

Questions (with some clarifications):

1. As one might expect (or know), the term “Down Under” refers to the fact that Australia and New Zealand are south of the Equator. For some reason, the term never seemed to catch on in any of the thirty or so other countries that also have all of their territory completely south of the equator. Name a country on the continental landmasses of South America or Africa that fits this description (19 possible answers). To clarify, island countries do not count.

2. Name a three-letter word (of the English language) you can create from the letters in “down under”. You can use each letter as often as they appear in the phrase (at least 15 possible answers).

3. Name a state or territory of Australia (external territories do NOT count) or one of the three largest islands of New Zealand (12 possible answers).

4. The Australian Open, held in Melbourne, is the first grand slam tennis tournament in the year. Name any singles (men’s or women’s) champion of the tournament since (and including) 2003. For reference, Thomas Johansson and Jennifer Capriati won in 2002. Neither of them have won since (13 possible answers).

Bonus (-1) point: Name at least one year in which the player you named won the event.

5. Peter Jackson is probably one of the best-known individuals from New Zealand, where many of the pictures he directs and produces are filmed. Name a full-length film directed or produced by Peter Jackson (films in the same series count as separate entities). For clarification, these are films that, on IMDB, Jackson is credited as either producing or directing it. These films must have already been released (16 possible answers).

6. Name the Australian from the description. Please include the letter of your answer along with the name.

a. Actor who portrays Wolverine in the X-Men franchise.
b. This author of Mary Poppins was born in Australia before moving to Britain.
c. This golfer won the 2013 Masters tournament.
d. This Australian country singer is currently a judge on American Idol.
e. In August, this man claimed that he would be leaving the Ecuadorian embassy “soon”.
f. This former Victoria’s Secret Angel was married to Orlando Bloom.
g. This actress won the 2013 Academy Award for best actress for her performance in Blue Jasmine.
h. He was nicknamed “The Crocodile Hunter” and hosted a show with the same name.
i. This owner of The News of the World faced investigations after allegations of phone-hacking in 2011.
j. This actor portrayed the Joker in The Dark Knight, which was not released until after his death from accidental intoxication that occurred after taken prescription drugs.
k. This man directed The Great Gatsby and Romeo+Juliet.

7. Anna Creek Station is the world’s largest cattle station, covering over 31,000 square kilometers, which makes it larger than the country of Belgium. Name a European country with a smaller area than Belgium (13 possible answers). To clarify, I am defining a country as being recognized by at least 21 UN members (the number that the R.O.C. is recognized by). Caucasus countries partially in Europe do not count.

8. Aussies use (or have used) a wide variety of slang terms, some of them stranger than others. Give the meaning of one of these slang terms (Please include the letter with your answer):
a. (to) Cark it
b. Pub
c. Loo
d. Get Stuffed
e. Digger
f. Bangers
g. Billabong
h. Thong(s)
i. Barney
j. Donk
k. Jillaroo

9. Identify one of these Australian or New Zealand landmarks. Give the letter along with your answer.
Spoiler
10. New Zealand’s All Blacks (or the New Zealand National Rugby Union Team), perhaps the most famous rugby team in the world, won the 2011 rugby world cup. Name any of the other 19 countries that competed in the 2011 Rugby World Cup. It should be worth noting that the UK does not have a rugby team; each subdivision of the UK has its own team, similar to the way it is in soccer.
Help: Breakdown by continent:
Europe-9 teams
Asia-1
Africa-2
South America-1
North America-2
Oceania-4 (that number does not include New Zealand)

11. Canberra became Australia’s capital after disputes over whether the capital should be Sydney or Melbourne. Because it was just a rural area at the time, it is seen as a purpose-built capital city. Name any other current world capital that was built (or greatly expanded) for the purpose of being a capital (13 answers). Greatly expanded=more than doubling (minimum population increase of 300,000) and seeing a significant amount of construction projects.

Bonus (-1) point: Name the architect/designer of Canberra.

12. Name one of the three most populous cities in New Zealand or one of the eight most populous cities in Australia (11 answers). For reference, these are urban areas around a city or Greater Capital City Statistical Areas. Wollongong, with a population of 282,000, is 9th in Australia (under my standards). In New Zealand, Hamilton is the 4th most populous city, with a population of about 150,000.
Last edited by geolawyerman on Sun Nov 09, 2014 10:09 am, edited 7 times in total.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

On the random option, suppose the sheep is 20. If we choose random, would our score be anything from 1-20 or only the scores that came up? So if the scores were 1,2,3,6,7,10,12,15 and 20; our possible scores would be one of those.
geolawyerman
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by geolawyerman »

In that scenario, your score could be anything from 1-20.
geolawyerman
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by geolawyerman »

Entrants:
Spoiler
1. Vermonter
2. Gloriaclemente
3. Mennoknight
4. Creed Bratton
5. Gamawire
6. Hscer
7. Vanya
8. tpmorrison
9. ElendilPickle
10. Psgola
11. Shaymin
12. Abraxas
13. ZachTheRiah
14. MarkBarrett
15. Ryno
16. Immaf
17. Rackme32
18. CheezeWhiz
19. Nightrein
20. Peggles
21. Woof
22. Dhkendall
23. Dot888
24. Sillymoose
25. Blue Lion
26. Caboom
27. Turd Ferguson
28. Econgator
29. Debramc
30. Magna
31. Bamaman
32. Schoe (check your PMs)
33. Terrheel
34. Dougforte
35. Clprez
36. Leander
37. Anotherclue
38. TheyCallMeMrKid
39. Whatisbishkek
40. Peachbox
41. Johnblue
42. Erik0909
Last edited by geolawyerman on Sun Nov 09, 2014 10:35 am, edited 18 times in total.
hscer
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by hscer »

So, the words in #2...do they *have* to be in English?
Now Completed: TD 224 - Airplane!
Coming Eventually: hscer's 3rd TD

Twitter: http://twitter.com/hscer
Sporcle: http://www.sporcle.com/user/hscer
geolawyerman
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by geolawyerman »

hscer wrote:So, the words in #2...do they *have* to be in English?
Yes.
hscer

Post by hscer »

geolawyerman wrote:
hscer wrote:So, the words in #2...do they *have* to be in English?
Yes.
Darn! :P
Now Completed: TD 224 - Airplane!
Coming Eventually: hscer's 3rd TD

Twitter: http://twitter.com/hscer
Sporcle: http://www.sporcle.com/user/hscer
geolawyerman
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by geolawyerman »

Monday evening bump:

Biggest sheep (with 12 entrants): 5

There are obviously plenty of singletons available-get those answers in!
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

geolawyerman wrote:10. New Zealand’s All Blacks (or the New Zealand National Rugby Union Team), perhaps the most famous rugby team in the world, won the 2011 rugby world cup. Name any of the other 19 countries that competed in the 2011 Rugby World Cup. It should be worth noting that the UK does not have a rugby team; each subdivision of the UK has its own team, similar to the way it is in soccer.
Europe-9 teams
Asia-1
Africa-2
South America-1
North America-2
Yay, a rugby question! I was hoping for an NRL question, but this'll do. :)
geolawyerman
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by geolawyerman »

4 days to go! Get those entries in!
anotherclue
Contributor

Post by anotherclue »

econgator wrote:
geolawyerman wrote:10. New Zealand’s All Blacks (or the New Zealand National Rugby Union Team), perhaps the most famous rugby team in the world, won the 2011 rugby world cup. Name any of the other 19 countries that competed in the 2011 Rugby World Cup. It should be worth noting that the UK does not have a rugby team; each subdivision of the UK has its own team, similar to the way it is in soccer.
Europe-9 teams
Asia-1
Africa-2
South America-1
North America-2
Wait, there is another NRL fan on JBoard?
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

anotherclue wrote:
econgator wrote:
Europe-9 teams
Asia-1
Africa-2
South America-1
North America-2
Rabbitohs fan here. Was a good year for us.

Also, I did watch the match between the US and All-Blacks last week and it was odd seeing Sonny Bill Williams playing Union.
anotherclue
Contributor

Post by anotherclue »

econgator wrote:
anotherclue wrote:
econgator wrote:
Europe-9 teams
Asia-1
Africa-2
South America-1
North America-2
Rabbitohs fan here. Was a good year for us.

Also, I did watch the match between the US and All-Blacks last week and it was odd seeing Sonny Bill Williams playing Union.
Also a Rabbitohs fan. Didn't follow the sport as much as previous seasons but did watch the Grand Final. And yeah, Sonny Bill in a All Blacks uniform is a little weird, considering what he did with the Roosters last season. And how did you become a Rabbitohs fan in the first place?
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

anotherclue wrote:Also a Rabbitohs fan. Didn't follow the sport as much as previous seasons but did watch the Grand Final. And yeah, Sonny Bill in a All Blacks uniform is a little weird, considering what he did with the Roosters last season. And how did you become a Rabbitohs fan in the first place?
I'm a recent convert. When I picked up the soccer/rugby package on my cable, I started watching some NRL games. One of the first ones I saw was the Rabbitohs in which Andrew Everingham debuted. He started kicking ass right from the get-go and I just like the way they played.
geolawyerman
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by geolawyerman »

Just over 48 hours to go! Get those entries in!
Erik0909
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by Erik0909 »

Hey all - I just joined on the reference of a friend (Terrheel) who is on here and competes in these challenges. However I cannot send a PM to submit an answer. How do I go about getting this?

Thanks
Caboom

Post by Caboom »

Erik0909 wrote:Hey all - I just joined on the reference of a friend (Terrheel) who is on here and competes in these challenges. However I cannot send a PM to submit an answer. How do I go about getting this?

Thanks
Well that was your third post so PM's should be enabled now.
geolawyerman
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by geolawyerman »

Under 24 hours to go!
ihavejeoprosy

Post by ihavejeoprosy »

Damn, I missed this. Wish the deadline were a little longer. At least till midnight.
Please follow me on Twitter @Cinjeopardy
Total game show losings: $25 K