Wednesday, November 5, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Golf
Wet Paper Bag Charmer

Re: Wednesday, November 5, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Golf »

dhkendall wrote:This is why I answered "Godunov" since that's the only last name of a Czar I know! (Don't know the ballet dancer at all)
You never saw Die Hard? We are professionals, this is personal.
Same Lach Trash here, but it's because we've been there many times (one of the most visited US places we've been to, actually) - the source of the Mississippi is very close to there (Bemidji is the first town of any considerable size on the Mississippi), which we also make a point of visiting and camping at when we're down there, and there's also a giant statue of Paul Bunyan and Babe in the town, along with several Paul Bunyan themed museums and other places. It may be the history and geography geek in me, but I highly recommend a visit to Lake Itasca and Bemidji (and, while you're at it, pop up and see me!)
Just watch the U.S. in curling and the announcers will mention Bemidji constantly.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I knew Bemidji because of the Paul Bunyan connection. Until a few months ago, I lived in Oscoda, MI, which is one of the supposed origin towns of Paul Bunyan too.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Golf wrote: Just watch the U.S. in curling and the announcers will mention Bemidji constantly.
Why, when I live in a country with much better curlers? (That's like telling a Brazilian to watch MLS games.)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

I didn't realize Caldecott was an illustrator. I guessed N. C. Wyeth, though I was pretty sure the picture wasn't his style.
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

Andy Rooney's eyebrows. I'm glad I got HD TV after his time on the show. Those brows were distracting enough on a smaller screen and lower resolution.

I am a fan of watching Scandal on TV, but not the online stuff that goes with it. The gladiator connection did not ring a bell for me while the other four were easy. Hillary wrapped up rooting interest early with the run.

Not that I will remember it the next it comes up on the show, but who has an easy memory trick to keep Caldecott and Newbery straight? I figured out how to solve the clue while failing on a 50/50/90. In 2008 I had a previous 50/50/90: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=2707 At least I'm consistent.
Golf
Wet Paper Bag Charmer

Post by Golf »

dhkendall wrote:
Golf wrote: Just watch the U.S. in curling and the announcers will mention Bemidji constantly.
Why, when I live in a country with much better curlers? (That's like telling a Brazilian to watch MLS games.)
Ha! Good point.

By the way, is Cheryl Bernard single? :D :twisted:
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Dr. J wrote:All those years of plowing through Caldecott Award winning books as a child, and I never knew he was an illustrator!! Man, I would've bet the farm on this category and had a VERY red face at the reveal. I'm surprised (based on my own ignorance, of course) that it was a triple get!
I don't feel so badly any more. :)
I was happy to run the eyebrow category, though. Precalled Eugene Levy and Joan Crawford, but forgot how majestic Brezhnev's brows were.
I wanted Peter Capaldi.
StuckInMyCat'sBody
Contributor

Post by StuckInMyCat'sBody »

Aric struggled a bit after missing the second daily double. Hillary is a good player so far, let's see how she does tomorrow.

I completely guessed for final jeopardy, I guessed Dr Seuss. Brainfart.
jcxkcxnfggkdfjgkjdfkgjdfkgjdfkcvncfmgnvfkjcmngrjhteidfjdgncv
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

econgator wrote:I don't feel so badly any more. :)
TPH to the red courtesy phone!

I'm positive the only reason I got FJ was my school district had a writing contest when I was a kid named for Newbery and Caldecott. I might have known Newbery otherwise, but I don't think Caldecott would have been on my radar.

Anyone else guess "handshake" on the one they wanted interface? I forget the exact wording, so not sure my answer would have been acceptable.

And what's the deal with old men and their crazy eyebrows? I think someone needs to remind him that hair can be cut. :)
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

This Is Kirk! wrote:Anyone else guess "handshake" on the one they wanted interface? I forget the exact wording, so not sure my answer would have been acceptable.
I did.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

This Is Kirk! wrote:
econgator wrote:I don't feel so badly any more. :)
TPH to the red courtesy phone!

I'm positive the only reason I got FJ was my school district had a writing contest when I was a kid named for Newbery and Caldecott. I might have known Newbery otherwise, but I don't think Caldecott would have been on my radar.

Anyone else guess "handshake" on the one they wanted interface? I forget the exact wording, so not sure my answer would have been acceptable.

And what's the deal with old men and their crazy eyebrows? I think someone needs to remind him that hair can be cut. :)
Who gets their eyebrows cut?

(Surprised a bit, btw, that their picture of Groucho's eyebrows seemed to be his natural ones, as far as I know they were painted on like his mustache was during his prime movie days)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

dhkendall wrote:Who gets their eyebrows cut?
I cut my eyebrows frequently, since I'm tired of only having a single eyebrow that goes all the way to my lip.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

dhkendall wrote: Who gets their eyebrows cut?
I doubt many people get their eyebrows cut. OTOH, I think lots of people cut their eyebrows.
dexterG
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by dexterG »

Went with Newbery for FJ.
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

This Is Kirk! wrote:
dhkendall wrote: Who gets their eyebrows cut?
I doubt many people get their eyebrows cut. OTOH, I think lots of people cut their eyebrows.
My wife does it for me.
John Boy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by John Boy »

dhkendall wrote:
Bamaman wrote: Did they say the ballet dancer's last name was that of a czar?
This is why I answered "Godunov" since that's the only last name of a Czar I know! (Don't know the ballet dancer at all)
When I think of male Russian dancers who have defected during my lifetime, as I so often do, I come up with Nureyev and Baryshnikov. I can't say that I ever heard of Gudonov. But I guessed it because of the Czar's name. Good thing I didn't WAG Romanov.

Got Lach Trash on Iraq, Andy Rooney, High Noon, Bemidji (SP?), rugs, Gudonov, and Les Sylphides, along with Instaget on Beckett, whose story became a major motion picture during my high school years, starring Peter O'Toole and Richard Burton. (clarification: they starred in the movie, not in my high school years :roll: )

Despite that it was merely an OK game for me lowlighted by my 0/5 on the TV category and having no idea that Caldecott was an illustrator. Oh well.

Another one-and-done champ who looked as if she won her one game mostly because someone had to win, and never looked up to the challenge of a second win. I'd like to see someone run off a few wins and look like a super-champ, but at this point that won't happen until the ToC is over.

Congrats to Hillary. Perhaps she will be the Awaited One?
Spaceman Spiff
One-and-done J! Champ (and proud of it!)

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

dhkendall wrote:
Bemidji I remember because Bemidji State was always a big rival of Alabama-Huntsville in ice hockey, going back to the Division II days.

(Yes, they play collegiate ice hockey in Alabama; I think UAH is still the only NCAA program south of the Mason-Dixon line, though.)
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Thanks for the info on the czar. I don't think I have heard of Czar Gudanov but I am aware of czars named Alexander so that is what confused me.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:The only reason I got "Painted Desert" was because the orchestra I'm in just played Grofe's Grand Canyon Suite, of which "Painted Desert" is one of the movements.
That seems like it would be a fun piece to play. What's your instrument? Did you get any good lines?
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
dhkendall wrote:
Bemidji I remember because Bemidji State was always a big rival of Alabama-Huntsville in ice hockey, going back to the Division II days.

(Yes, they play collegiate ice hockey in Alabama; I think UAH is still the only NCAA program south of the Mason-Dixon line, though.)
I got Bemidji because of the recent FX series Fargo.