Wednesday, November 5, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Re: Wednesday, November 5, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by opusthepenguin »

MarkBarrett wrote:Not that I will remember it the next it comes up on the show, but who has an easy memory trick to keep Caldecott and Newbery straight?
Just think back to all the Newbery award books you read as a kid. If that doesn't work, see if you can get a do-over on your childhood.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

This Is Kirk! wrote:And what's the deal with old men and their crazy eyebrows? I think someone needs to remind him that hair can be cut. :)
Yeah. With a CHAINSAW.
Sherm
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Sherm »

Bamaman wrote:Thanks for the info on the czar. I don't think I have heard of Czar Gudanov but I am aware of czars named Alexander so that is what confused me.
Boris Gudunov is a Czar, an opera and a play. Alexander Godunov is Witness, Die Hard and dated Jacquline Bisset. I do think your mind plays with you every now and then. If you had asked me if Gudonov had been dead over ten years, I would have confidentally said, "no way." The guy passed away in 1995, upon looking it up.

Flipped a coin on FJ, picked Newberry over Caldecott. If I can remember that "Where the Wild Things are" won a Caldecott and "A Wrinkle in Time" won a Newberry for future reference, I'd be fine. I knew both had won the awards, but couldn't remember which.
davey

Post by davey »

So what book is the FJ illustration from? Did anyone recognize the style, or were correct responses strictly from the clue? This reminds me of the recent "Vandenberg" clue. Heard the name, never wondered where it came from. For all I knew the Caldecott Medal was named for the one who endowed the award...I've never been so surprised by a triple get.
Even though there was nothing characteristic about the picture, my response was Sendak. I'd say his work if not his name set the standard for children's book illustration in my lifetime. Tenniel would be my choice for the 19th C.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

Sherm wrote:Flipped a coin on FJ, picked Newberry over Caldecott. If I can remember that "Where the Wild Things are" won a Caldecott and "A Wrinkle in Time" won a Newberry for future reference, I'd be fine. I knew both had won the awards, but couldn't remember which.
I have found that the trick on something like that is to memorize only ONE of them. You can always figure out the other by process of elimination. If you try to memorize both, especially at the same time, then all the facts get jumbled together and re-associated willy nilly in your mind. Next thing you know, you're staring into the lights and thinking that Newbery won a Caldecott medal.

Newbery, by the way, has only one r. That'll probably never come up in Jeopardy!
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I had a tip passed along to me outside of the board that may work for me and hopefully for others:

"Caldecott drew a lot."

Six years from now when Newbery or Caldecott are used next in a FJ! clue I'll see if it holds.
silverscreentest
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by silverscreentest »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
(Yes, they play collegiate ice hockey in Alabama; I think UAH is still the only NCAA program south of the Mason-Dixon line, though.)
According to this map, Miami (Ohio), Denver, AIr Force and Colorado College are also south of the Mason-Dixon Line. However, Alabama-Huntsville is the only NCAA hockey team from a seceded state.
Silver Screen Test, my movie trivia game show. Watch some of the episodes On-Demand.
Spaceman Spiff
One-and-done J! Champ (and proud of it!)

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

silverscreentest wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
(Yes, they play collegiate ice hockey in Alabama; I think UAH is still the only NCAA program south of the Mason-Dixon line, though.)
According to this map, Miami (Ohio), Denver, AIr Force and Colorado College are also south of the Mason-Dixon Line. However, Alabama-Huntsville is the only NCAA hockey team from a seceded state.
Thanks for clearing that up. I know the program almost died a few years ago once the NCAA did away with D-II hockey (personal opinion -- the NCAA seems to be slowly trying to do away with D-II altogether, but that's a rant for another day) and the program moved up to D-I -- but nobody wanted them in their conference because of the hassles of travel (throw in UAH with Alaska-Anchorage, and you can see the problems).

I do remember the strangeness when they hosted the "Frozen Four" -- in Tampa. I guess UAH was the closest school to the tournament site to be a sponsor!
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

opusthepenguin wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:Not that I will remember it the next it comes up on the show, but who has an easy memory trick to keep Caldecott and Newbery straight?
Just think back to all the Newbery award books you read as a kid. If that doesn't work, see if you can get a do-over on your childhood.
That's only one of the many things I wish I could get a do-over on my childhood with. The other being "not having Asperger's and an incredibly naïve mother form a bubble a mile wide around me".

Jim Davis was the main illustrator of my childhood.
opusthepenguin wrote:
This Is Kirk! wrote:And what's the deal with old men and their crazy eyebrows? I think someone needs to remind him that hair can be cut. :)
Yeah. With a CHAINSAW.
That's what I shave with, by the way.

"And I got my chainsaw... boy, you know it's gonna go, it's such a shame, y'all..."
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

The Philadelphia market had a substantial portion of this game preempted for a "news" story.
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

davey wrote:So what book is the FJ illustration from? Did anyone recognize the style, or were correct responses strictly from the clue? This reminds me of the recent "Vandenberg" clue. Heard the name, never wondered where it came from. For all I knew the Caldecott Medal was named for the one who endowed the award...I've never been so surprised by a triple get.
Even though there was nothing characteristic about the picture, my response was Sendak. I'd say his work if not his name set the standard for children's book illustration in my lifetime. Tenniel would be my choice for the 19th C.
My first thoughts were Maurice Sendak, Garth Williams, and Robert McCloskey. Since the illustration was obviously not by one of them, I thought about the clue a little more, and "standard" led me to Caldecott.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

ElendilPickle wrote:My first thoughts were Maurice Sendak, Garth Williams, and Robert McCloskey. Since the illustration was obviously not by one of them, I thought about the clue a little more, and "standard" led me to Caldecott.
I went with Sendak and Scarry. Like you, I knew it wasn't one of those. Unlike you, I never made the connection.

It's amazing how they could have a solid clue like this and a crap clue like the SCOTUS one within days of each other.
davey

Post by davey »

econgator wrote:
ElendilPickle wrote:My first thoughts were Maurice Sendak, Garth Williams, and Robert McCloskey. Since the illustration was obviously not by one of them, I thought about the clue a little more, and "standard" led me to Caldecott.
I went with Sendak and Scarry. Like you, I knew it wasn't one of those. Unlike you, I never made the connection.

It's amazing how they could have a solid clue like this and a crap clue like the SCOTUS one within days of each other.
A factual clue, admittedly, but I'm not sure that the vague word "standard", along with a picture (and style) no one has yet claimed to recognize, makes it so solid. All I can say is that it pulled the right trigger for many, as ""fittingly" did."
dansachs
Contributor

Post by dansachs »

The Final Jeopardy picture is from page 66 of "The complete collection of pictures & songs" by Randolph Caldecott. A PDF of the book is available from the Library of Congress at http://lccn.loc.gov/42048476
davey

Post by davey »

dansachs wrote:The Final Jeopardy picture is from page 66 of "The complete collection of pictures & songs" by Randolph Caldecott. A PDF of the book is available from the Library of Congress at http://lccn.loc.gov/42048476
Thanks very much!

Reprinted from that beloved children's classic, "The Diverting History of John Gilpin"...! :roll:
psgola
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by psgola »

Ryno wrote: I thought for sure that NBA basketball player Anthony Davis would also appear in that category.
If he continues to play the way he is right now, he'll be worth a mention on Jeopardy this time next year. Right now, not so much.

Lach Trash: Iraq, Andy Rooney, Cycling

Iraq was definite one for me as whenever I talk about the MIddle East, I always mention how Iraq is a made-up country after WWI, because it combined three different lands into one.

Best category of the night for me was Eyebrow (only missing Frida) 4/5.
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

StevenH wrote:I enjoyed this game. The only triple stumper that I remember surprising me was High Noon. I got "Painted Desert," but I thought that that clue needed more TOM.

Talk about over thinking the FJ clue. I spent the entire 30 seconds trying to think of a famous painter who would have created an image that looked like that. It turned out that the image wasn't even needed; all I had to do was name the medal for children's book illustrations!
Same! Struggling through mental list of artists, only to realize DOH! I'm lost in the weeds... Caldecott and Newberry all you need to remember!

I also said 'blankets' for Navajo needed 'rugs', sigh. Got Pericles for Parthenon and Mussolini for Italian bloodbath, lol.

INstaget Thomas a Becket; funny but just last week I posted that exact quote, no foreknowledge here! Darn those turbulent priests...
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

opusthepenguin wrote:
Sherm wrote:Flipped a coin on FJ, picked Newberry over Caldecott. If I can remember that "Where the Wild Things are" won a Caldecott and "A Wrinkle in Time" won a Newberry for future reference, I'd be fine. I knew both had won the awards, but couldn't remember which.
I have found that the trick on something like that is to memorize only ONE of them. You can always figure out the other by process of elimination. If you try to memorize both, especially at the same time, then all the facts get jumbled together and re-associated willy nilly in your mind. Next thing you know, you're staring into the lights and thinking that Newbery won a Caldecott medal.

Newbery, by the way, has only one r. That'll probably never come up in Jeopardy!
I remember reading lots of Newbery winners; I don't remember reading any Caldecott winners.
Knowing one is for illustration and one is for writing made it easy to narrow down the two.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Re: Wednesday, November 5, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILER

Post by seaborgium »

Sherm wrote:Boris Gudunov is a Czar, an opera and a play. Alexander Godunov is Witness, Die Hard and dated Jacquline Bisset. I do think your mind plays with you every now and then. If you had asked me if Gudonov had been dead over ten years, I would have confidentally said, "no way." The guy passed away in 1995, upon looking it up.

Flipped a coin on FJ, picked Newberry over Caldecott.
Did you flip a coin each time you spelled Godunov in your post?

I recognized Andy Rooney more by his nose (which looks like a nude torso with thighs straddling his face; you'll never un-see that!) than his eyebrows.

Easy FJ. Solid champ.
TheyCallMeMrKid
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by TheyCallMeMrKid »

psgola wrote:
Ryno wrote: I thought for sure that NBA basketball player Anthony Davis would also appear in that category.
If he continues to play the way he is right now, he'll be worth a mention on Jeopardy this time next year. Right now, not so much.
A guy who was the college basketball player of the year, and who has trademarked the saying "Fear the Brow" is, I think, probably well known enough even for sports-averse Jeopardy. Probably a bottom of the board question, but still.
Sheepin' it real.