Friday, November 7, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Friday, November 7, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6935, 2014-11-07

CONTESTANTS
Jennifer Healy, a training system manager from Hilliard, Ohio
Cyle Anderson, a school service assistant from Detroit, Michigan
Charles Brower, a senior managing editor from Durham, North Carolina (whose 1-day cash winnings total $20,400)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Thank you, everyone. Big game yesterday for Charles. He dominated the contest. Would've wound up winning much more than the $20,000 if he hadn't missed on Final Jeopardy! Let's see what happens today against these newcomers--Cyle and Jennifer. Good luck. Here we go. Here are the categories for you, players, starting off with...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
GEOGRAPHY BY THE BOOK (5/5)
ANNUAL EVENTS (5/5)
THANKS FOR THE KIND WORDS (4/5)
WHAT DO YOU MEASURE? (5/5)
A TOP 10 HIT TWICE (3/5)
THE REAGAN LIBRARY (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double) (Kelly: A few pieces of the world the 40th president lived in and changed.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Charles: 11 R, 2 W
Cyle: 10 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 2 W
Jennifer: 6 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 3
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,200

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Charles: $2,800
Cyle: $400
Jennifer: $400

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: I get the feeling Jennifer Healy is a big baseball fan. Am I right?

Jennifer: You are correct.

Alex: And you have seen how many of the Major League Baseball teams play in person?

Jennifer: I've seen all 30 teams play in person.

Alex: Wow. And where did you grow up?

Jennifer: I grew up in Columbus, Ohio.

Alex: So what was your favorite team as a young girl growing up there?

Jennifer: Cleveland Indians, absolutely.

Alex: Yeah. Is it still the Indians?

Jennifer: Indians and the L.A. Dodgers.

Alex: Okay. Good for you.

Alex: Cyle Anderson is from Detroit, Michigan. Used to be in a medieval sword fighting martial arts group.

Cyle: I did.

Alex: Which means... you fought with what? Swords?

Cyle: Swords, shield and buckler, chain mail, the helmet, uh, even lance.

Alex: Really?

Cyle: Yeah. Great.

Alex: What about those big hammers?

Cyle: No hammers.

Alex: No hammers?

[Laughter]

Cyle: It'd be hard on your practice partners.

Alex: Oh, yes. All righty.

Alex: Uh, Charles brower is our champion. And I'm gonna put him on the spot because he has a talent, a special talent, which is?

Charles: Saying the alphabet backwards, skipping the vowels, in... what did I promise? 10 seconds?

Alex: 10 seconds. All right, ready, set, go.

Charles: Z, Y, X, W, V, T, S, R, Q, P, N, M, L, K, J, H, G, F, D, C, B.

Alex: 11 seconds.

[Applause]

Charles: Ohh!

Alex: No. No. Not good. Not good.

[Charles clears throat]

Alex: Not good. You have misrepresented yourself, sir.

[Charles sighs deeply]

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Cyle found the Daily Double on the 30th clue. Charles had $3,200, Cyle had $4,400, and Jennifer was at $2,600. Cyle wagered $200.

THE REAGAN LIBRARY $1000: (Kelly of the Clue Crew gives the clue from the Ronald Reagan Library in Simi Valley, CA.) On August 19, 1981, an international incident occurred when two U.S. Navy F-14s flying patrol over the Gulf of Sidra were attacked by two fighter jets flown by this country; the Tomcats returned fire, downing both enemy aircraft

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
A TOP 10 HIT TWICE $800: "Emotion":
Samantha Sang in 1978 & this female R&B group in 2001
(Jennifer: Who is En Vogue?)

A TOP 10 HIT TWICE $1000: "Lady Marmalade":
LaBelle in 1975 & this lady with Lil' Kim, Maya & Pink in 2001
(Charles: Who is Chaka Khan?)
(Cyle: Who is Lady Gaga?)

THANKS FOR THE KIND WORDS $400: Meaning courteous, it's a bit oxymoronic when it refers to a type of "war"

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Cyle: $4,600
Charles: $3,200
Jennifer: $2,600
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Friday, November 7, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
A GAMBOL THROUGH THE GAMBIA (2/2)
IT'S ALL IN YOUR HEAD (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
4-LETTER TV SHOW TITLES (5/5)
AGES & ERAS (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
WINE GRAPES (3/5)
3 "D" (4/5) (Alex: The "D" in quotation marks. There will be 3 of them in each correct response.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Charles: 12 R (including 1 rebound), 2 W (including 2 DDs)
Jennifer: 7 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W
Cyle: 3 R, 2 W

Clues revealed: 27
Triple Stumpers: 3
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $4,400

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Charles snagged the next Daily Double on the 19th clue. Charles had $15,200, Cyle had $3,800, and Jennifer was at $6,600. Charles wagered $2,000.

IT'S ALL IN YOUR HEAD $2000: Your eardrum would rupture if this tube did not open when air pressure changes suddenly due to varying altitude
(Charles: Uh, I don't know--the brachial.)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Charles who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 20th clue. Charles had $13,200, Cyle had $3,800, and Jennifer was at $6,600. Charles wagered $2,000.

AGES & ERAS $2000: While organizing antiquities at a museum, Christian Thomasen came up with these 3 "ages" to arrange the displays
(Charles: What are the gold, silver, and bronze ages?)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
3 "D" $1600: It's the 5-syllable adjective that describes the house seen here

WINE GRAPES $800: Robert Mondavi found a new lease on life for this varietal when he started calling it fume blanc instead of this
(Jennifer: What is White Zinfandel?)

WINE GRAPES $2000: Johannisberg was commonly found in front of the name of this varietal until labeling laws phased it out in the U.S. in 2006

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Charles: $12,400
Jennifer: $8,600
Cyle: $4,200

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
SPORTS LOGOS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Two-thirds for first place.
Charles: Wager $4,801 to cover Jennifer.
Jennifer: You'll want to wager between $0 (venusian) and $199 (martian), and you'll win the game if Charles wagers enough and gets it wrong.
Cyle: To win, you must get Final right and count on a wagering mistake on Jennifer's part. Wager all $4,200.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This NFL team's logo is the only one that is a plant

FINAL SCORES
Cyle: $4,200 - $3,000 = $1,200 (What is the Arrg!) (3rd place: $1,000)
Jennifer: $8,600 + $8,401 = $17,001 (What is the Fleur de Lis?) (New champion: $17,001)
Charles: $12,400 - $4,900 = $7,500 (What is the vine?) (2nd place: $2,000)
(Alex: [To Jennifer] Which is the logo for [*]. We would've accepted either response.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $6,600

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Charles: $16,400, 23 R, 4 W (including 2 DDs)
Jennifer: $8,600, 13 R, 2 W
Cyle: $5,000, 13 R (including 1 DD), 4 W
Combined Coryat: $30,000

BATTING AVERAGES
Charles: 23/60 = .383
Jennifer: 14/58 = .241
Cyle: 13/59 = .220
Team: 50/63 = .794

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
A TOP 10 HIT TWICE $600: "Always On My Mind":
Willie Nelson in 1982 & this British synth-pop dance duo in 1988
(Charles: Who are the [*]?)

ANNUAL EVENTS $200: You're looking at the word "month" as in the phrase "January is National" this "Literacy Month"

ANNUAL EVENTS $400: Bow to yer partner, & to yer corner... allemande left into Sept., now I'll bet yer gonna remember... Sept. is Intl. this month

WHAT DO YOU MEASURE? $600: Spirometer:
the capacity of these in the body
(Cyle: What is... breath?)
(Alex: Mmmm...)
(Cyle: [*] capacity. What is [*] capacity?)

ANNUAL EVENTS $1000: As far as piday.org is concerned, that event falls on this date, of course
(Alex: That's right. 3/14.)

THE REAGAN LIBRARY $200: (Sarah of the Clue Crew gives the clue from the Ronald Reagan Library in Simi Valley, CA.) This fine china was among the White House dinnerware used in the formal state dinners hosted by the Reagans; the first, in 1981, & the last, in 1988, both honored this world leader, who was accompanied by her husband Denis

THANKS FOR THE KIND WORDS $800: Meaning merciful, it describes good weather; in a kind words category, we need it without the "in" at the start
(Cyle: What is fair?)

THANKS FOR THE KIND WORDS $1000: Before "society", it denotes sympathy for animals & their treatment
(Charles: What is benevolent?)
(Alex: And we have less than a minute to go.)

THE REAGAN LIBRARY $400: (Sarah of the Clue Crew gives the clue from the Ronald Reagan Library in Simi Valley, CA..) This briefcase that goes everywhere the president goes, including here on Air Force One, contains the codes needed to order the Pentagon to launch atomic weapons; known as the president's emergency satchel, it's been nicknamed this sports term

THE REAGAN LIBRARY $600: (Sarah of the Clue Crew gives the clue from the Ronald Reagan Library in Simi Valley, CA.) Ronald Reagan held four major summit meetings with Mikhail Gorbachev that led to the signing of the INF Treaty; it was during the 1986 Reykjavik Summit that Reagan began using the old Russian proverb "trust, but..." do this

THE REAGAN LIBRARY $800: (Kelly of the Clue Crew gives the clue from the Ronald Reagan Library in Simi Valley, CA.) The stateroom on Air Force One allowed Reagan to work in private while traveling, like in 1982, en route to a meeting of this economic group that in 2014 went back to its original alphanumeric name

4-LETTER TV SHOW TITLES $2000: Jump in & hold on! This '70s show's theme song is heard here
(Cyle: What is CHiPS?)

3 "D" $1200: A supplement or appendix at the back of a book
(Kyle: What is... appendage?)

WINE GRAPES $400: In the names of 3 common grapes it can be found in front of "gris", "noir", or "blanc"
(Alex: Yes, with a minute to go.)

A GAMBOL THROUGH THE GAMBIA $800: Some 90% of Gambians practice this religion
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

CORRECT RESPONSES
Libya
Destiny's Child
Christina Aguilera
civil
the Eustachian tube
the Stone Age, the Bronze Age & the Iron Age
dilapidated
Sauvignon blanc
Riesling
the New Orleans Saints (the Fleur de Lis)
Pet Shop Boys
Braille
square dance
the lungs
March 14th
(Margaret) Thatcher
clement
humane
the nuclear football
verify
G7
S.W.A.T.
an addendum
pinot
Islam
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

Sports Logos
This NFL team's logo is the only one that is a plant.

Spoiler
What are the New Orleans Saints? Cyle said "Arrg!"; Jennifer said fleur de lis, which was accepted as correct; Charles said "the vine".

Charles Brower: $12,400-$4,900=$7,500
Jennifer Healy: $8,600+$8,401=$17,001...now a 1-day champion with $17,001
Cyle Anderson: $4,200-$3,000=$1,200
Last edited by jeff6286 on Fri Nov 07, 2014 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

A tad tricky, but still had it within 5 seconds.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

LTaM warning sounds, 4 video clues left...and they finish the round? From now on, every time they end a round with clues unrevealed, I'm calling bull****.

Instaget FJ. I ran thru every team logo I could during the break, starting with the NFL, so thankfully I didn't have to mentally race through the divisions.

The champ's spot remains cursed. The carousel continues to spin. However..."this NFL team's" logo, and they accept fleur-de-lis? If that had been a clue during the J/DJ round, it feels like that would've been negged, followed by Alex repeating the clue with the stress on this team. Whatever. Bring on the TOC!
Last edited by xxaaaxx on Fri Nov 07, 2014 7:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Leander

Post by Leander »

I don't know if i misread the question, but I don't know how you accept fleur de lis when (I thought) they were looking for the team.
Abraxas

Post by Abraxas »

Jennifer had a good game and won with a sole FJ get. I got 34 clues correct including Christina Aguilera, civil, and Eustachian tube. I thought of all the NFL teams that I could in the 30 seconds, but did not think of the Saints.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

Leander wrote:I don't know if i misread the question, but I don't know how you accept fleur de lis when (I thought) they were looking for the team.
I think they wanted the team, but it could be argued that, in "this NFL team's logo", "NFL team's" is a modifier of "logo". You'd think they'd have enough experience to say either "the logo of this NFL team" or "this logo of an NFL team" to pin the response.

I didn't even look at the category until after fast forwarding through the commercials, so I ran out of time. Perhaps I would have gotten the response in "real time".
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Leander wrote:I don't know if i misread the question, but I don't know how you accept fleur de lis when (I thought) they were looking for the team.
"This NFL team's logo ..." was how it was worded, so you had to accept either. I don't know why they keep doing it that way, but they do.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

econgator wrote:
"This NFL team's logo ..." was how it was worded, so you had to accept either. I don't know why they keep doing it that way, but they do.
Jinx!
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I got the feeling none of the players are huge Reagan fans.

At first I tried to think of some team that had a tree nickname of sorts. Then I decided to run through the teams by division. Luckily, I'm a Falcons fan (never thought that would make me lucky) and started with the NFC South. I got to Saints and their logo and wrote them down. That has never really looked like a flower to me, but whatever.

Then the responses. I thought Cyle was going for the Toronto Argonauts. But had he been, at least he would have named an actual football team. When they showed Jennifer's question, I thought "Oh, crap, I misread the answer and named the team instead". That should not have been accepted.

Her wager was bad as well. She had third locked out and had Charles' MSBIW beat. So a zero bet would have been fine. But if she is going to bet big, she needs to go all in. She thinks she's going to win with $199?
UiscePreston
Valued Contributor

Post by UiscePreston »

1) This NFL team's logo is the only one that is a plant.

2) The logo of this team is the only one that is a plant.

3) This NFL team logo is the only one that is a plant.

Good gravy, someone on the writing staff needs a good firing.
Last edited by UiscePreston on Fri Nov 07, 2014 7:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Linear Gnome wrote:
I think they wanted the team, but it could be argued that, in "this NFL team's logo", "NFL team's" is a modifier of "logo". You'd think they'd have enough experience to say either "the logo of this NFL team" or "this logo of an NFL team" to pin the response.

I didn't even look at the category until after fast forwarding through the commercials, so I ran out of time. Perhaps I would have gotten the response in "real time".
Now that you make that point, I guess it works.
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

Is it REALLY a plant? It seems more like the second derivative of a plant.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I liked this board, but it did not play to my strengths at all.

It was kind of cool that the J! round DD came on the last clue of the round, and then the two DJ round DDs were found back to back and at the bottom of the board. I am still kicking myself for missing "Libya". "Gulf of Sidra" made me think Libya, but then for some reason I thought that it would be a different country and I guessed "Iran." The "inside the human head" DD at $2000 was one where I would have wagered $5, given the situation. I missed that one, but I did get the next DD and probably would have wagered a bit more on that one than the previous one, given the category.

I am heartbroken that the "Gambia" category was left with clues uncovered.

I had no idea on FJ. I hate football, but I know the names of all the NFL teams and was trying to think of one that had a plant as its mascot. I could have gotten this one with more time to think, but there was no way that it would come to me in 30 seconds. Props to new champ on winning with the sole solve! I can't help but be reminded of Roger Craig's last regular game.
doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally »

I was thinking more of sports logos than team logos. Saints logo looks like a spear than a plant to me. No way I was getting this FJ.
Also seems to me that AT deliberately picks interview sections that are going to show up on clues. Meat loaf other day and hammer today.
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

28 right.

Geo- 3; Event- 5; Word- 3; Measure- 2; Hits- 4; Reagan- 2
Gambia- 1; Head- 1; 4 TV- 2; Ages- 3; Wine- 0; "D"- 2

Lach trash: "Destiny's Child", "Christina Aguilera"

Instaget FJ.
billiej

Post by billiej »

Linear Gnome wrote:
At first I called BS on accepting her response, but now rereading the clue I have to agree that either should be accepted. Besides, I get a kick out of the fact that the sole female was the only one to get the football FJ. :P I, too, got it fairly quickly.
UiscePreston
Valued Contributor

Post by UiscePreston »

Austin Powers wrote:Is it REALLY a plant? It seems more like the second derivative of a plant.
You have a very valid point. Is an inanimate, unrealistic and stylized drawing of a semi-specific flower a plant? You can't go to a garden center and order a "fleur-de-lis", stick it in the ground and watch it grow into something that looks like the sticker on a Saints helmet. Even a graphic representation of a plant has certain criteria. The word plant evokes notions of being whole, alive, identifiable, needing water, having roots. There is a semantic threshold that has to be met. The palmetto on South Carolina's flag - now that's a plant. Monet's water lilies are plants. Emil Nolde's sunflowers. Plants. But if Van Gogh cuts them and sticks them in a vase, they become flowers. Something from the florist, not a nursery. That is the difference to me.

The fleur-de-lis has transcended its botanical source. I don't see it as a plant or even an artistic depiction of a plant. At the very most it is a floral symbol.
Last edited by UiscePreston on Fri Nov 07, 2014 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

Not an instaget Fj but as I'm pondering which grasses leaves and stems might be featured on modern gladiatorial combatants' helmets,
I got a mental image of this:

And was so like, "What's New Orelans?!" The wife was like; :"Go For It" I never thought you would get credit for that alone, clammed on "Saints" but o well, AT said it's acceptable!

Took 41 + FJ for another win from the 4th Podium. God I love this show when I get it!

Other fun gets: Eusatcian Tube (TS?! Come on!) - Dilapidated - Bangul = slave trade - cerebellum - progressive era - Mesozoic era - designated driver (really? is that stupid answers category?!) - Nova - instaget SWAT theme (can't get it outta my head now) - Libya - the G7 Group - The Football (shouted out 5 times while they struggled) - Trust & Verify - (No "In") = Clement Weather - Courteous = Civil War - Humane Society - Maggie Thatcher = consort: Dennis - Pi Day = 3.14 - Sep = Intl Sq Dance Mo - Feb 6 = Lame "Fowl" Duck day - Kodiak Bears = Ice Age - 5/5 on instruments: anemometer: wind pluvinometer: rain spirometer: lung roentgenometer: xray (Roentgen in Euope still = get an xray, and first Nobel prize winner - Frankenstein = Mary Shelley - protractor = angles - Braille = pictured - Maya Pink = Christina Aguilera - Van Halen = david Lee Roth

Pardon my run on stream of consciousness style (Who is Faulkner?) But after a stout pint o'peat moss squeezin's I'm pretty stoked, lol!

Another disappointment to not uncover 3/5 Gambia clues, I precalled "Senegambia" which has been asked before but now we'll never know... <cry>
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!