TD 217: All Together Now

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

BobF
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: TD 217: All Together Now: The brave entrants

Post by BobF »

countyguy wrote:
BobF wrote: And can I count on an entry from countyguy? :-)
Sorry to bother you, but can you please answer the following:
Does #4 ask for four total B's, E's, G's, and H's, or four of any one of those letters?
Also, if the Beatles had songs called Sgt. Smith Strikes Back and Mr. Blue Sky, are you considering the abbreviated words as being spelled out in full?
Check the bold print on question 4, I clarified it. The other question, I said it goes by what is listed on the CD/record, so if it's listed both ways in two separate places, you can use either. Otherwise, the listing on the CD/record is official.
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!
Woppy T

Re: TD 217: All Together Now

Post by Woppy T »

I am loving this game, but it is evil. I could spend days on this!!
RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Post by RandyG »

Woppy T wrote:I am loving this game, but it is evil. I could spend days on this!!
Bob could be even more evil by leaving the entry period open for weeks, rather than days.
countyguy
Vacuously Undefeated on J!

Post by countyguy »

RandyG wrote:
Woppy T wrote:I am loving this game, but it is evil. I could spend days on this!!
Bob could be even more evil by leaving the entry period open for weeks, rather than days.
That would actually be quite nice. :)
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

econgator wrote:Man, am I going to be using NUMBER NINE a lot (like, on 3/4 of the questions :) )
Only needed it 7 times.
gamawire
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by gamawire »

econgator wrote:
econgator wrote:Man, am I going to be using NUMBER NINE a lot (like, on 3/4 of the questions :) )
Only needed it 7 times.
And looking up and finding my errors, I should have used it a couple of times myself.
"It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing." -- Seneca
Ryno

Post by Ryno »

I can't say that I'm the biggest Beatles fan, but this was actually pretty fun to play. :)
One time swimmer in the Jeopardy! pool
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

I'm just in it to add to the sheeps score. Too lazy to think about it too much.
Woppy T

Post by Woppy T »

Since these will be long answers, do you have a preference as to format? I'm doing mine like this:

1. Title
Bonus: Title; Title; Title; Title; etc.
BobF

Post by BobF »

Woppy T wrote:Since these will be long answers, do you have a preference as to format? I'm doing mine like this:

1. Title
Bonus: Title; Title; Title; Title; etc.
Whatever works for you, first title I see will be the official, non-bonus answer.
Vermonter
2003 College Champion

Post by Vermonter »

I wish I hadn't seen this TD. Now it's like a vampire seeing popcorn kernels spilled. :(
Hate bad wagering? Me too. Join me at The Final Wager.
Vermonter
2003 College Champion

Post by Vermonter »

Is it ok to use a title without parentheticals for one response, and with for another?

Let's say one answer is Dude (Looks Like a Lady) – could I use that for both, say, "ends with E" and "has 3 L's"? Or do I have to pick one or the other?
Hate bad wagering? Me too. Join me at The Final Wager.
demomoke
Three-Time Swimmer in the Jeopardy! Pool

Re: TD 217: All Together Now: The brave entrants

Post by demomoke »

BobF wrote:BobF (I'm going to create my entries without looking at anybody's response and without bonus questions during lunch, just to see how I do)
Abraxas
brainpower
dott888
gamawire
immaf
MarkBarrett
sarah0114
Woof
WoppyT
My entry's all in order, right?
Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

I'm working on my entry and hoping that more songs will emerge from my memory before the deadline.

I don't envy BobF. With so many songs in the Beatles' canon, scoring this TD might get time-consuming; and based on the comments in this discussion, he might have to make plenty of judgment calls.

That said, playing this game has been fun.
whatisbishkek

Post by whatisbishkek »

Working on my answers, and I have a comment about the bonuses. It seems like all the bonuses are based on being able to name as many Beatles songs as you can, so it's likely the same people will be getting bonuses on most of the questions. Plus, the bonuses will probably add a huge amount of work to the scoring, so I'm wondering whether you'll regret including them. Regardless, it should be an interesting reveal!
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

whatisbishkek wrote:Working on my answers, and I have a comment about the bonuses. It seems like all the bonuses are based on being able to name as many Beatles songs as you can, so it's likely the same people will be getting bonuses on most of the questions. Plus, the bonuses will probably add a huge amount of work to the scoring, so I'm wondering whether you'll regret including them. Regardless, it should be an interesting reveal!
I think I had 1 bonus, so I won't be adding to that workload. :)
BobF

Post by BobF »

Vermonter wrote:Is it ok to use a title without parentheticals for one response, and with for another?

Let's say one answer is Dude (Looks Like a Lady) – could I use that for both, say, "ends with E" and "has 3 L's"? Or do I have to pick one or the other?
Yes, that's fine.
BobF

Post by BobF »

We've got 22 entries plus myself. If anyone wants to try to get in in the next hour, feel free.

A word about my entry.

As I mentioned, I came up with the idea months ago and did the research on it a little over a month ago, so my entry is not based on digging up really obscure songs from my research, it's based on hurriedly cobbling together an entry in about 30 minutes (in other words, how I usually enter), but with a much better knowledge of the material. I've currently got 16 singletons, 2 doubletons, a sheep and a wrong answer in my entry and I've logged 10 people's responses into my spreadsheet.

However, I forgot what the question was for number 5, so if anybody went with my answer for that, I'll score it a number 9.

ETA: Looks like lots of singletons still unused (and obviously a bunch of potential doubletons)
RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Post by RandyG »

BobF wrote:We've got 22 entries plus myself. If anyone wants to try to get in in the next hour, feel free.

A word about my entry.

As I mentioned, I came up with the idea months ago and did the research on it a little over a month ago, so my entry is not based on digging up really obscure songs from my research, it's based on hurriedly cobbling together an entry in about 30 minutes (in other words, how I usually enter), but with a much better knowledge of the material. I've currently got 16 singletons, 2 doubletons, a sheep and a wrong answer in my entry and I've logged 10 people's responses into my spreadsheet.

However, I forgot what the question was for number 5, so if anybody went with my answer for that, I'll score it a number 9.

ETA: Looks like lots of singletons still unused (and obviously a bunch of potential doubletons)
I'm finishing up now.... will in be shortly. :)
BobF

Post by BobF »

Here is the final list of participants, two dozen of us:

There are three people among this list who either have an encyclopedic knowledge of the Beatles' music or put a tremendous amount of work into this and I can pretty much guarantee they'll have negative scores because on most of the questions, the same 3 people grabbed all the bonus points. But my goal was to guarantee the winner of this contest would be a Beatles fan, and I think that will happen.

Some late singletons came in, and one of my answers that I reported was a singleton after entering 10 entries ended up being the sheep!

I'll start the reveal early this afternoon, but I will also put in some last minute bonus questions for those of you who are around.

BobF (I'm going to create my entries without looking at anybody's response and without bonus questions during lunch, just to see how I do)
Abraxas
Bamaman
barandall800
Blue Lion
brainpower
countyguy
debramc
demomoke
dott888
econgator
gamawire
immaf
jgamer
lpmastor
MarkBarrett
RandyG
Ryno
sarah0114
Vanya
Vermonter
whatisbishkek
Woof
WoppyT
Last edited by BobF on Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.