Sports Jeopardy! Ep. 9 [Spoilers]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Ryno
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Sports Jeopardy! Ep. 9 [Spoilers]

Post by Ryno »

Well, first time after 9 episodes I can write "Instaget FJ". :)

I thought someone would finally break the 20k points barrier, but not this time. Good game by Justin though, just didn't get FJ.

Lach Trash: Fireball, Vardon Trophy, Torvill & Dean.
One time swimmer in the Jeopardy! pool
clprez

Re: Sports Jeopardy! Ep. 9 [Spoilers]

Post by clprez »

Just about the time I thought Justin was going to pull away and get a score that would be hard to beat, Mike made a good run, although it was too little, too late.
LeFlaneur
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by LeFlaneur »

Missed FJ again. Said Gipp and Rockne. 12 correct in theJ round and 15 in DJ. I really like the longer interviews on this show. Lach trash: Torvil and Dean, and Teofilo Stephenson. Ran the trading cards category. Fun game again.
Le Flaneur
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Sports Films
These 2 movies with a player's & a coach's names in their titles are among the handful ever filmed at Notre Dame.

Spoiler
What are Rudy and Knute Rockne: All-American? Bryan said Rudy & Ara; Justin said Win One for the Gipper & Rudy.

Justin Rosenberg: $19,000-$4,000=$15,000
Mike Smargiassi: $12,500+$4,001=$16,501...wins $5,000
Bryan Robinson: $4,250-$1,800
Last edited by jeff6286 on Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

LeFlaneur wrote:Lach trash: Torvil and Dean, and Teofilo Stephenson.
Stevenson and Torvill & Dean were two I noted on my scoresheet as the memorable stumpers as well. Boxing and figure skating. I get that a lot of the contestants will have college sports and big four pro sports as their main range with other sports lacking.

The one that bugged me was the dude guessing the Penguins for sweeping the Washington Capitals in the Stanley Cup Finals. Fine, you don't remember it was the Red Wings. But, don't guess an Eastern team. Trapdoor.

The FJ! Category of Sports Films had me optimistic for a get. The clue had me write the two instantly and I put the pen down. During the rest of think time I had the little devil on one shoulder trying to tell me the "All American" movie was Jim Thorpe and that the "Knute Rockne" movie was "Story." I said each Rockne version aloud several times to assure myself I had the correct title. Rudy was the for sure no-doubter.

Going in there was a possible leaderboard finish for Justin and not only did he miss that (nice try on the Rockne movie title), but he even missed the 5K. Too bad as he has been one of the better players. Mike was good for laughs before getting the win as his clue processing was a little off.

Name the Raider that the ball deflected off of to Franco? What is the Immaculate Reception? :lol: Mike had one more RTFC error, but I can't recall it now.
grindcore
Some Guy

Post by grindcore »

Mike should make sure he understands the clues better if he makes it to the final. Islanders + Immaculate Reception had me rolling my eyes in directions I didn't think possible.

I feel like Justin could be annoyed that Dan told him "he could risk 1,000" even though he had more than that, especially given how close it ended. But man, talk about having a grade-a macho cocky face. So I'm not all that bothered.
thejeopardyfan
(Unranked)

Post by thejeopardyfan »

We had the pleasure of talking to Mike about his experience.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Bad wagers too, Justin was $2,001 short of the shutout bet, and Mike bet just enough that he could have lost second place by $1 if Bryan doubled up.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I'm glad the potential 500 points Dan screwed Justin out of wound up not mattering.

Teofilio Stevenson is a TS. (Sigh)

Instaget fJ for me, I wonder how lenient they'd have been as long as you got Rockne in there.
TheyCallMeMrKid
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by TheyCallMeMrKid »

Bamaman wrote:
Instaget fJ for me, I wonder how lenient they'd have been as long as you got Rockne in there.
I was wondering that too, since I only wrote down "Rudy and Knute Rockne". Had I actually been on the show, I would've had to have written it in question form, and I would guess that "What are Rudy and Knute Rockne" would've been negged. After the correct answer was shown, I did a little forehead slap "oh, yeah, that's the whole name of the movie. "
Sheepin' it real.
jpr281
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jpr281 »

In J! Just Like They Drew It Up -- Maybe for 500, Justin gave a response of what sounded like "Ken Dyson" or even "Kennan Dyson." I've listened several times but the "V" in "Kevin" is never heard. Just me? I'm surprised it wasn't ruled incorrect.

LT: Fireball Roberts.

Being a huge Rudy fan, and reading the Wikipedia article as many times as I have, it states the Knute Rockne: All American tidbit in the opening paragraph.
heelsrule1988
Sports Jeopardy! Alum/VVL #19

Post by heelsrule1988 »

I'm surprised only one player got FJ... seemed pretty easy to me. And most of the FJs have been tough... at least in my opinion.

11/19: 13,750 (FJ: :mrgreen:)
JFanForever
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by JFanForever »

I thought Justin could be someone we'd see in the finals.

NHL Lines was a category I ran. I think the drawing it up one, too.

I did 3/4 on the Trading Cards one. I thought possibly Andujar or Oquendo but I didn't know Andujar started his career an Astro. I didn't think it'd be Oquendo anyway since he started with the Mets.
psgola
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by psgola »

This was probably one of the better played games I've seen so far this season. Really good run by Mike on the final category and getting the FJ to win the 5K. Surprised Justin didn't go for more on FJ to solidify a possible top three spot.

J! Round: Costner 3/4, Nascar 3/4, multi-sport 4/4, nhl lines 3/4, golf 3/4, just like drew up 4/4
DJ! Round: Trading Cards 3/4, men's college hoops 4/4, how sweep it is 4/4, that's bizarre 2/4, olympians 4/4, sporting news 2/4

Lach Trash: Fireball, Vardon, Torvill & dean
Stevenson, Red Wings
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

jeff6286 wrote:Sports Films
These 2 movies with a player's & a coach's names in their titles are among the handful ever filmed at Notre Dame.

Spoiler
What are Rudy and Knute Rockne: All-American? Bryan said Rudy & Ara; Justin said Win One for the Gipper & Rudy.

[python]Can I say that this is my first ever Sports J! episode that I watched?[/python]

I also want to make a suggestion (I don't know if this was suggested elsewhere, as this was also the first Sports J! recap thread I've read), perhaps don't use $s to denote the player's totals (only the winnings), as they seem to stress that they win points, not money. The board also doesn't have $s like the regular J! board does to further this.

Just a suggestion.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

dhkendall wrote:
jeff6286 wrote:Sports Films

Spoiler

[python]Can I say that this is my first ever Sports J! episode that I watched?[/python]

I also want to make a suggestion (I don't know if this was suggested elsewhere, as this was also the first Sports J! recap thread I've read), perhaps don't use $s to denote the player's totals (only the winnings), as they seem to stress that they win points, not money. The board also doesn't have $s like the regular J! board does to further this.

Just a suggestion.
Yeah that actually occurred to me at some point and I left the $ off some games, but old habits die hard so I guess I forgot with this one. To me the distinction is pretty silly, it is quite grating to hear them called "points" in Sports J! as opposed to dollars. The "dollars" in the regular show are basically serving the same purpose, only the winner gets to convert their point total into real dollars. Quarterfinal and Semifinal tournament matches could especially be called points as there is no connection between totals in those games and amount of money taken home, also the case for many players in tournament Finals.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Weren't they called points on Super Jeopardy!?
legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

Bamaman wrote:Weren't they called points on Super Jeopardy!?
Yes
Will33
Contributor

Post by Will33 »

Does anyone know what else Bryan Robinson was on? He looks familiar. I know he's a fantasy sports contributor. But I'm trying to figure out where else I seen him.