New Jeopardy training site modeled on Roger Craig's

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Dudd
Valued Contributor

New Jeopardy training site modeled on Roger Craig's

Post by Dudd »

I recently wanted to teach myself a new programming language, and figured why not try and replicate Roger Craig's training site that he gave a youtube lecture about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmld3pcKYYA

I have all the clues from the j-archive through the end of last season loaded, and I have slightly more than half of those characterized and tagged. Should be pretty self explanatory, tried to stick as much as possible to what he outlined in the video, seemed to work out just fine for him. I hope to add some new categories and tag as many clues as I can in the next few days/weeks, and then add some new features from there. Anyways, let me know what you think and if you have any comments or suggestions.

http://jeopardy.devinshelly.com
ihavejeoprosy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: New Jeopardy training site modeled on Roger Craig's

Post by ihavejeoprosy »

Why is there a signup?
Please follow me on Twitter @Cinjeopardy
Total game show losings: $25 K
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

ihavejeoprosy wrote:Why is there a signup?
So one can track one's individual statistics I suppose.

Better question, why is there no privacy policy?
Dudd
Valued Contributor

Post by Dudd »

You're right, the signup is to be able to track your own questions. Without one, there would be no way to tell your answers from mine. I didn't really think about creating a privacy policy, all your passwords are salted and hashed using BCrypt so it should be as safe as they get, and I only collect email addresses for password reset purposes, I'm not going to sell them to telemarketers or anything. I don't send a verification email, so technically you could just put in a fake one if you wanted, you'd just have to remember it.
BRD-98
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by BRD-98 »

Looks nice! Thanks. :)
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

I signed in and tried a few clues but it's unclear what happens when I press 'correct' and 'incorrect' buttons. Don't get feedback from it just goes to the next clue.
Is it logging responses somewhere and then how do you review that? Thanks for building this I once emailed Roger to get more info on his software but he's not sharing.
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
Dudd
Valued Contributor

Post by Dudd »

It just saves your response and moves on to the next question. Then if you go to the statistics page, it will tell you what your percentage is broken down by category and clue level. Right now, there's no way to view the questions you've previously answered, just the stats, that's next on my list.
ihavejeoprosy

Post by ihavejeoprosy »

Dudd wrote:It just saves your response and moves on to the next question. Then if you go to the statistics page, it will tell you what your percentage is broken down by category and clue level. Right now, there's no way to view the questions you've previously answered, just the stats, that's next on my list.
Interesting, will try it this weekend.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

I tried it a bit last night. Very nice to play with. Ideally, it would be cool if this sort of functionality could be integrated right into the jeopardy archive itself.

It was a little slow. One way to speed it up would be to have a mouseover reveal the answer rather than a click. Alternatively, keyboard shortcuts would speed it up. The goal is to move through a lot of questions quickly, and having to wait ~5 seconds on each question reduces the efficacy.

Thanks for making it public.
cutlaaah
Valued Contributor

Post by cutlaaah »

Nice work!

I prefer mouseover to clicking to reveal the answer, but the way it's set up now, my cursor is often hovering over the answer blank because it appears in the same spot where the "correct" button was for the previous clue. This results in the correct answer being revealed before I can even start reading the new question. Maybe you can set it up so the buttons are in consistent places regardless of the length of the clue?

It would also be nice to include statistics for skipped questions.
Dudd
Valued Contributor

Post by Dudd »

That's a good point, I've moved the buttons up to the top of the screen so that shouldn't happen anymore. I also did a few performance tweaks this afternoon that should result in much better performance when picking from multiple categories at once, my initial approach was fairly inefficient when you didn't limit yourself to one or two categories at a time. I don't have any plans though to track how many questions you've skipped, it's only intended to be used when there's a clue that you can't answer from the text (something with an image or music for example). I don't really see the value in knowing how often that happens. I wouldn't treat it like the buzzer, just try and answer ever question as quick as you can and mark it correct or incorrect. There will be some marginal answers that you get right or wrong that on the show you wouldn't attempt to answer, but I just simplified things.
TheyCallMeMrKid
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by TheyCallMeMrKid »

This is really nice. Thank you for making it!

I didn't realize that the skips were not getting logged until I took my first look at my statistics after about 50 questions. Fine that they aren't, just didn't realize it. I can see how it will be very useful to identify areas of weakness.
Sheepin' it real.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

What I'd like to see is a way for me to put the months/years I've spent meticulously analyzing each clue I got right/wrong/clam and just feed my Excel sheet into a computer and have it spit out what my strengths are and what I should study more in. I'm not tracking my Coryat for my health, you know. :)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
ihavejeoprosy

Post by ihavejeoprosy »

Each time I try to hit correct or incorrect I get an error message. Would love to try it further.
whatisbishkek

Post by whatisbishkek »

ihavejeoprosy wrote:Each time I try to hit correct or incorrect I get an error message. Would love to try it further.
Huh, I wonder what the issue is because it works fine for me. Great site, by the way; thanks to Dudd for making and posting it!
Dudd
Valued Contributor

Post by Dudd »

Hmm, the account I already had set up works fine, but I signed up for a new test account and I ran into the same problem you're having, I'll have to look into it. Hope to have a fix soon for you.

Edit: Alright, it was a quick fix. I noticed that if you accidentally double clicked on one of the buttons, it would post the same response twice, so I added some code to check and make sure you didn't answer the same clue twice in a row. However, if you're a new user, you don't have any previous answers, and I forgot to test for that, so it was causing a crash. Should be all ready to go once it uploads in a few minutes, thanks for pointing it out.
ihavejeoprosy

Post by ihavejeoprosy »

Dudd wrote:Hmm, the account I already had set up works fine, but I signed up for a new test account and I ran into the same problem you're having, I'll have to look into it. Hope to have a fix soon for you.

Edit: Alright, it was a quick fix. I noticed that if you accidentally double clicked on one of the buttons, it would post the same response twice, so I added some code to check and make sure you didn't answer the same clue twice in a row. However, if you're a new user, you don't have any previous answers, and I forgot to test for that, so it was causing a crash. Should be all ready to go once it uploads in a few minutes, thanks for pointing it out.
Thanks, it looks great. I tried it again and its a pretty useful tool. Really helps to pinpoint places to work on. Would love to see it evolve.
lbligh
Valued Contributor

Post by lbligh »

I would love to use this (having auditioned recently for Jeopardy!, I am hoping for the best in terms of getting The Call). Is it offline or has it moved?
Auditioned most recently via Zoom, June 2023
Strengths: Literature, History, Classical Music
Insurmountable weaknesses: Sports, Pop Music, Anagrams

"It's easy if you know it, it's hard if you don't."