Tuesday, November 25, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

grindcore
Some Guy

Re: Tuesday, November 25, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by grindcore »

thenextofken wrote:Instaget on FJ. All the words except the last two in the clue were superfluous, imho. Fully expected it to be a Triple-Getter.
Word. I feel silly for going elsewhere after coming up with Sendak right away. Still in the process of learning how to tackle FJs, clearly.
BADuBois
Jeopardy! Champion... It's a Mystery!

Post by BADuBois »

I enjoyed the food/flag clues as well, and I admire whoever goes full-tilt after the Dreaded Opera Category.™

FJ was an Instaget was well... and I'm not a fan of Sendak. Not because of whatever he has or hasn't done --- which I'm clueless on --- but because for some reason, I've always found his illustrations creepier as hell. Probably connected to some early trauma that's given me my fear of clowns and mimes.

Congrats to the new champ... I like his confident style.
Award-winning author of "My Short, Happy Life in 'Jeopardy!'"
http://tinyurl.com/btax4xp
cosmos
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by cosmos »

For FJ, I've seen the movie and if they had been looking for the director or screenwriter could have responded with Spike Jonze. :D

Hope nobody here got a Platinum Sombrero on baseball expressions. Since baseball has no time limit, I allowed myself to pause the DVR and take a few extra innings on that category to keep from dropping the ball.

I don't believe a movie could get a G rating with "basterds" in it. I guess TV is different. :D
thenextofken

Post by thenextofken »

grindcore wrote:
thenextofken wrote:Instaget on FJ. All the words except the last two in the clue were superfluous, imho. Fully expected it to be a Triple-Getter.
Word. I feel silly for going elsewhere after coming up with Sendak right away. Still in the process of learning how to tackle FJs, clearly.
As a general rule, there's usually something inherent in the clue that will lead you to the correct answer. In this case, it would've helped if you'd known Sendak wrote, "Where the Wild Things Are."
schoe
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by schoe »

countyguy wrote:Given the way he pronounced "eau", Eugene was right about not knowing the French language. No shame though, it is very hard to learn a language as an adult.

I was really impressed by the contestants' performance in the Before and After. I thought it was a tough category and I did not even get one of the two component parts of any of the five answers.

Did many people around here get the Hawaiian mythology clue? It seemed pretty tough for a second-row DD. I have never seen or heard a thing about Hawaiian mythology.
I got it, but mythology is one of my wheelhouses (although Hawaiian mythology is a bit off the beaten path).
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

HeathenBenny wrote:What's wrong with Sendak? Don't know about his life.

Got the "wild things" reference instantly. I didn't think that it was negbait, there was nothing else in the clue of any substance.
Uh-oh... Beg to differ: "...it's through fantasy that children achieve catharsis..." Which was the basic premise of his book, "Where the Wild Things Are"; the story of a naughty boy that has misadventures with wild varmints and gets the naughtiness out (catharsis); then goes home well-mannered for dinnertime. Instant recognition at the subsurface level as the obvious TOM. :geek:

Another solid game for men who stare at goats with 38/61 correct responses and 5 pickups on lach trash FTW from the 4th. Got 'Bloody Mary Poppins', 'The Long March of the Penguins' and Puss & Boots on the Ground', clam on Larry David Copperfield and failed to grasp the Miami Heat Miser (NHO Heat Miser!). Satisfied hit on 'macrame' while the wife sings out 'crochet', both 7 letters by happy chance!

Nailed Frigga, Pele of KIlauea, Athena / Parthenon, Clota of the River Clyde, miss on Thoth, gave Hathor thinking this is the Goddess category, but DOH the clue said his female counterpart was Seshat, read the question!

Strong in opera with Leonora's poison ring from il Trovatore (what a horribly depressing drama, worse than Greek tragedy because it feels pointless, such misery! factoid: Leonora is a also minor planet in the asteroid belt), Lohengrin (Son of Parsifal/var: Parsival, this is the guy who shows up in boat drawn by swans to defend Princess Elsa {shades of Frozen!} in Wagner's opera; he also wrote Parsifal, a prequel, which was banned from performance outside the Bayreuth Festspielhaus until after Richard died.) Instaget barber of Seville music score and Puccini's La Boheme set in Paris' latin Quarter, Washington DC Kennedy Center Opera House putting on a version this month with really drab modernized sets, meh. Of course tobacco girls - Carmen, Pavlov.

Puerto Rico category was fun, got Columbus, 'zip line', governor, and King Juan Carlos first Spanish monarch to visit; NHO Pablo Casals, cellist. Got flags of Spain, Thailand, India (the wheel on their flag represents Gandhi's spinning wheel), Lebanon with parsley for the cedar tree & Greece, gosh, that was a fun category!

Got guillotine, Wages & Prices, Notre Dame, and Josephine de Beauharnais, Empress Consort (her hubby was a victim of the blade in above clue, poor devil! BTW she's the maternal grandmother of Napoleon III, although she had no children by Napoleon, for which failure he eventually dumped her for Marie Louise, one of the 16 children of Maria Teresa, Empress of of Austria and the last Empress of the Holy Roman Empire, an idiosyncratic cognomen for a loose coalition of feudal states which was neither holy, Roman nor an empire.) Clam on Jacobins.

Did poorly on baseball phrases, somehow no clicking in the CPU, only got in the 'ball park' but 'touch base' take a 'rain check' seem all too easy, sigh; then got 0/5 on rhyming product names, OW! but consolation prizes in Eau, Emu, Esau & Elihu Hunt (TR sec state), NHO Ecru for raw, unbleached linen, apparently it means 'beige-colored'. Other fun gets: Rolex / Timex; Mombasa is in Kenya (deep reach: Roland the Headless Thompson Gunner, Warren Zevon from his Excitable Boy album: After Van Owen betrays Roland and decapitates him with machine gun burst; the headless phantom tracks him down in a Mombasa bar to take revenge, truly a grisly hoot!

Fairy tale fun: Jack & the Beanstalk = Golden Goose; Chaucer: Nun's Tale:: Rooster: Fox instaget & Henny Penny = Chicken Little; "The Sky is Falling!" In Brad Pitt films only got WW Z and Troy, wife called Inglorious Bastards and I said; "Where you get that?! She replied; "We watched that together you silly goose!" Senility creeps... 'Don't count your chickens before they're hatched, eh!"

LOL and jump for joy at Billina the talking Hen, Dorothy's companion in the sequel to The Wizard of Oz, "Ozma of Oz" in which Dorothy rescues Princess Ozma from the wily Nome King, whom Billina offended by laying an egg under his throne (he suffered from a fatal ooallergic syndrome, ROFL) and they become BFFL, lol, I'm getting all misty-eyed! This book introduces new absurd characters: the Hungry Tiger, who had a craving for babies but couldn't bear to eat them for pangs of conscience, hence he always went hungry; and Tik-Tok, a copper mechanical man, inspiring future robots.

Sigh, I'm feeling... Nostalgia; what is a word meaning poignant memory, derived from the Greek for 'pain'?
Last edited by goatman on Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:52 pm, edited 3 times in total.
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Flags was incredibly clever, IMO.
countyguy wrote:The flag clues were really clever, and overall, tonight's boards were really good. Kudos to the writers!
BADuBois wrote:I enjoyed the food/flag clues as well
This also, btw, was not thought up by the writers. Rather, it came from the Sydney International Food Fair (and I swear I saw a version around the time of the Beijing Olympics basically the same (only a different one for the US), but for every country in the Olympics (and a few others like the Vatican and Kosovo). So, not only did I run it, but I've seen the pics before.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

countyguy wrote:
Did many people around here get the Hawaiian mythology clue? It seemed pretty tough for a second-row DD. I have never seen or heard a thing about Hawaiian mythology.
That's okay, you know your Beatles songs and crisscrossing highways/roads to incredible depth. Can't know 'em all. Instaget on Pele for me and I think it would poll 60%+.

Hammer: WTG on getting Barber without the music. I'm sure we had company.

Macrame for me on the clue with crochet also accepted. The writers tried to pin it with 7 letters and still had Alex staying on his toes to accept the other response.

On introductions I told myself Maruiusz would win just to make me write his name again for tomorrow's scoresheet. I've had enough repetitions over the years for Leszek Pawlowicz and Vinita Kailasanath, so if he does well enough I'll get to a point to do Mariusz Galczynski without looking. Or I'll just call him Scrabble.

Off the FJ! category I was thinking more someone like Sondheim or Fosse. Wild Things = Sendak. Done. I can see someone recognizing the hint for the work and not knowing the author to open up a host of guesses.

For from left field detours I hope no one guessed Steve Martin or Matt Dillon.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

dhkendall wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:Flags was incredibly clever, IMO.
countyguy wrote:The flag clues were really clever, and overall, tonight's boards were really good. Kudos to the writers!
BADuBois wrote:I enjoyed the food/flag clues as well
This also, btw, was not thought up by the writers. Rather, it came from the Sydney International Food Fair (and I swear I saw a version around the time of the Beijing Olympics basically the same (only a different one for the US), but for every country in the Olympics (and a few others like the Vatican and Kosovo). So, not only did I run it, but I've seen the pics before.
Here's another link about making flags and food that was passed along to me: http://www.visualnews.com/2013/08/27/na ... ssociated/
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

People on my "Don't Even Get Me Started" list:

1. MAURICE SENDAK
2. JD Power (and associates)
3. Austin Mahone
4. Cesare Lombroso
5. James T. Farrell
6. Oddibe McDowell
7. that Gorn from that episode of "Star Trek"
8. the 7th Earl of Shaftesbury
9. Laura Nyro
10. Iman
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Vanya wrote:
Austin Powers wrote:
floridagator wrote:Another hot game! It all came down to FJ, which is how games should be. I immediately thought of Sendak but avoided saying it out loud because I'm not fond of that man.
Agreed. (spits on ground)
What's the problem with Maurice Sendak?
Beats the hell out of me. I've read Wild Things more than any other book in my life. One of my favorites ever.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I have a feeling AP may be yanking our chains, but I am curious what gator has against Sendak.
Last edited by This Is Kirk! on Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I never read Where the Wild Things Are as a kid. Somehow it never crossed my path. I was all about Berenstain Bears, Little Critter, and Clifford. And Garfield strip compilations.

It's weird how some kids grew up with different books. I know someone whose first book that they remember reading was The Wainscott Weasel. (Which is damn good, by the way.)
lieph82

Post by lieph82 »

Austin Powers wrote:People on my "Don't Even Get Me Started" list:

1. MAURICE SENDAK
2. JD Power (and associates)
3. Austin Mahone
4. Cesare Lombroso
5. James T. Farrell
6. Oddibe McDowell
7. that Gorn from that episode of "Star Trek"
8. the 7th Earl of Shaftesbury
9. Laura Nyro
10. Iman
Still laughing.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Fun fact: the Gorn was voiced by Lurch
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

countyguy wrote:Given the way he pronounced "eau", Eugene was right about not knowing the French language. No shame though, it is very hard to learn a language as an adult.

I was really impressed by the contestants' performance in the Before and After. I thought it was a tough category and I did not even get one of the two component parts of any of the five answers.

Yeah, Pele is a big deal for many Hawaiians. Allegedly, it's bad luck to take a piece of lava home with you from there.

I'm not sure where they came up with macrame on that one question - "hooking" made me think of crochet right away.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Re: Tuesday, November 25, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS

Post by seaborgium »

I liked Mariusz's play style, and then the $5,000 DD neg seemed to take the wind out of his sails. I was rooting for him, and then the FJ came up and I thought he was doomed. Hurrah! Go Poles!
JeopRDFan
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by JeopRDFan »

It was an enjoyable competitive game tonight. I also went with Maurice Sendak instantly for FJ based on "wild things" in the clue. And like others, I'd never heard of raincheck used in baseball nor am I familiar with the 'inside baseball' term.
Onairb

Post by Onairb »

grindcore wrote: And is it me or was "inside baseball" a little on the ridiculous side?
Nope, not just you. 'Inside Baseball' was a fairly well-known phrase in the context of the sport, in the '80s, when NBC's pregame show, and a Sports Illustrated column, used that title, at different times.
Later on, the TV political hack-geeks on the news channels, felt that the phrase would be just perfect to describe the 'spin', number-crunching and word-parsing that goes on in modern politics. So the phrase was co-opted, and run into the ground, around the same time that everyone was 'leveling the playing field at the end of the day in the final analysis', and all the rest of those phrases that the yuppie scum made so popular. 'It's the cliched expressions, stupid.'
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Austin Powers wrote:People on my "Don't Even Get Me Started" list:

9. Laura Nyro
Laura Nyro?!?! Kate Bush, maybe, but Laura Nyro?!!?