Monday, December 8, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, December 8, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6956, 2014-12-08

CONTESTANTS
Patrick Fernandez, a risk analytics manager from Irvine, California
Amanda Miller, a retail assistant manager originally from Gouverneur, New York
Ann Conger, a healthcare analyst from New Orleans, Louisiana (whose 1-day cash winnings total $13,999)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. Welcome aboard. Well, the kids are gone. They're back in class, back in school. But, my, what a wonderful time we had with those talented youngsters last week. Ann has been waiting over a week to defend. Today, she faces Amanda and Patrick. Let's see how it works out. Good luck to all three as we go into the first round of Jeopardy!, the round with the one Daily Double in one of these categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
SHAKESPEAREAN WHO SAID IT? (3/5, including 1 missed Daily Double) (Alex: Identify the character.)
ANAGRAMS OF EACH OTHER (3/5)
THE NICK OF TIME (5/5)
STATES BY COUNTIES (4/5)
"DANCE" MUSIC (5/5)
POST OFFICE (4/4) (Sarah: Clues from one of the biggest and busiest United States postal service facilities in Chicago.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Ann: 13 R (including 2 rebounds), 0 W
Patrick =): 8 R, 3 W (including 1 DD)
Amanda: 4 R, 0 W

Clues revealed: 29
Triple Stumpers: 4
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,600

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Ann: $5,800
Amanda: $800
Patrick =): $0

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: The first player we introduced on the program today, Patrick Fernandez, was born and raised in the Philippines.

Patrick: That's correct.

Alex: Do you go back there often?

Patrick: Yeah, I try. Once a year, Christmas--during Christmastime. It's the longest Christmas anywhere in the world--four months long.

Alex: What?

Patrick: Yes, four months. So we don't need to give each other gifts for four months, but we do celebrate for four months.

Alex: I was just gonna say, but there must be a lot of partying going on.

Patrick: Oh, yes.

Alex: Yeah? Okay.

Patrick: That's why I go back.

Alex: All right.

Alex: Amanda Miller is teaching herself to roller skate because she wants to...

Amanda: I want to join a roller-derby team. I went to a game, and I thought, "Well, that looks like a lot of fun," but I'd never put on roller skates before. So I said, "All right, let's try it." Uh, I fell down--a 7-year-old knocked me down--but I got back up, and I'm still trying.

[Laughter]

Alex: Okay.

Alex: Ann Conger is our champion. She is from New Orleans. And I did not know this, but there is a Running of the Bulls in New Orleans?

Ann: There is, and it actually is, um--the bulls are roller-derby girls who chase--

Alex: What?

Ann: Yep. [To Amanda] So you could become one of them. They chase all of the unwitting bull-running--bull-running people around with whiffle bats, and gore you with the whiffle bat. It's terrifying. And painful. But a lot of fun.

Alex: Amanda, are you sure you still want to become a--

Amanda: That sounds like a lot of fun.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Patrick =) found the Daily Double on the 25th clue. Ann had $8,000, Amanda had $800, and Patrick =) was at $3,200. Patrick =) wagered $1,200.

SHAKESPEAREAN WHO SAID IT? $800: "Sure, I shall never marry like my sisters, to love my father all"
(Patrick: Who is Kate or Katherine?)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
SHAKESPEAREAN WHO SAID IT? $400: "Shall we their fond pageant see? Lord, what fools these mortals be!"

STATES BY COUNTIES $800: Cimarron,
Kiowa,
Choctaw

ANAGRAMS OF EACH OTHER $400: To knock down the pins & to extinguish the candles

ANAGRAMS OF EACH OTHER $1000: An insatiable desire for money & a yard tool

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Ann: $9,000
Patrick =): $2,400
Amanda: $1,800
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Monday, December 8, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
TOOTHPASTE (5/5)
CREST (3/5)
CLOSE-UP (2/5)
"AIM" (2/3)
REMBRANDT (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
AQUA, FRESH (3/4, including 1 correct Daily Double)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Patrick =): 10 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 3 W (including 1 DD)
Ann: 7 R (including 1 rebound), 2 W
Amanda: 2 R, 2 W

Clues revealed: 27
Triple Stumpers: 7
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $9,600

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Patrick =) snagged the next Daily Double on the 10th clue. Ann had $10,200, Amanda had $200, and Patrick =) was at $7,200. Patrick =) wagered $1,600.

REMBRANDT $1600: In addition to his paintings, Rembrandt also did about 300 of these prints from metal plates; wanna see 'em?
(Patrick: [Sighs] Not coming.)
(Alex: No?)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Patrick =) who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 23rd clue. Ann had $9,800, Amanda had $1,800, and Patrick =) was at $6,800. Patrick =) wagered $1,000.

AQUA, FRESH $1200: Of the 5 Great Lakes, it's the highest above sea level

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
"AIM" $1200: In a pun on a Broadway title, a woman who attacked her nieces had this title in the New York Post

CLOSE-UP $1200: Named for an area of France, he was the first type of human to have a strong chin
(Ann: What is a Neanderthal?)

CLOSE-UP $1600: Would it be easy or difficult to dance cheek-to-cheek with this bebop trumpet player?
(Patrick: Who is Louis Armstrong?)
(Alex: Boy, his cheeks used to swell up something wild.)

CREST $800: Lions on the British royal arms, like the crowned one on the crest, date back to the first king of this name

CREST $2000: "Jump" in with this name for an ancient Greek soldier named for his armor that had a towering helmet crest

AQUA, FRESH $800: Limestone fractures easily, allowing ground-water to penetrate & emerge as this 6-letter flow of fresh water
(Ann: What is an aquifer?)
(Patrick: What's a stream?)
(Alex: Stream? Be more specific.)
(Patrick: Aqua stream?
(Alex: No.)
(Alex: Minute to go now.)

CLOSE-UP $2000: Here's the mighty left foot of this Irish artist
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Ann: $13,400
Patrick =): $7,800
Amanda: $3,400

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
MOVIE TITLE REFERENCES

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Crush for first place.
Ann: Wager $2,201 to cover Patrick =), but no more than $6,599 so as not to fall behind Amanda's doubled score.
Patrick =): You have the hope of surpassing Ann if you come up with the correct response. Bet at least $5,601 to force Ann to wager to win; but if you're intent on holding on to second place, wager no more than $999 to protect your second place position from being usurped by Amanda.
Amanda: Unfortunately, your score is less than the difference between the scores of the first and second place players, so unless they both blunder, you're competing for second place and have no hopes of first. Wager as much as you desire, but remember, you'll have better chances of advancing to second place if you have a larger sum left over on a Triple Stumper.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
For this 1971 film the reference is to the 1948 film "Red River"

FINAL SCORES
Amanda: $3,400 - $3,300 = $100 (What is Red Dawn?) (3rd place: $1,000)
Patrick =): $7,800 - $5,601 = $2,199 (What is Rio Grande?) (2nd place: $2,000)
Ann: $13,400 - $5,600 = $7,800 (What is the?) (2-day champion: $21,799)
(Alex: Because Red River was the film that was showing onscreen at the Royal Theater.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $12,200

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Ann: $13,400, 20 R, 2 W
Patrick =): $10,800, 18 R (including 1 DD), 6 W (including 2 DDs)
Amanda: $3,400, 6 R, 2 W
Combined Coryat: $27,600

BATTING AVERAGES
Ann: 20/58 = .345
Patrick =): 18/61 = .295
Amanda: 6/58 = .103
Team: 44/63 = .698

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
POST OFFICE $400: (Sarah of the Clue Crew presents from the U.S. Post Office in Chicago, IL.) In 1885, it cost 2 cents to mail a letter; today, it's 49 cents--a 2,350% increase, but still a bargain, & any future increases will be indexed to this economic factor

POST OFFICE $600: (Jimmy of the Clue Crew presents from the U.S. Post Office in Chicago, IL.) The United States Post Office operates one of the largest civilian fleets in the world, & is going greener with many vehicles powered by alternative fuels like propane, ethanol & CNG, the compressed type of this fuel

STATES BY COUNTIES $200: Calvert,
Somerset,
Anne Arundel
(Patrick: What is Massachusetts?)

STATES BY COUNTIES $600: Marlboro,
Pickens,
Spartanburg
(Patrick: What is North Carolina?)

POST OFFICE $1000: (Jimmy of the Clue Crew presents from the U.S. Post Office in Chicago, IL.) The United States postal service's processing of almost 160 billion pieces of mail annually begins with giant sorting machines; mail is first separated by shape & size, a process called this, like winnowing animals from a herd

POST OFFICE $800: (Sarah of the Clue Crew presents from the U.S. Post Office in Chicago, IL.) Collectors know there are three main types of stamps: definitives, printed in large quantities; specials, used for holidays; & these, which honor a person, subject or event important to American life

THE NICK OF TIME $600: In 2008, this man seen here married a supermodel; ooh, la, la, it was good to be president

THE NICK OF TIME $800: In 1938 Dashell Hammett created this amateur detective & husband in "The Thin Man"
(Ann: Who are Nick and Nora?)
(Alex: No. Patrick?)
(Patrick: Who are [*]?)
(Alex: [*], yes. You gave us the information. Good.)
[Before Double Jeopardy!, Ann was credited with a correct response because the clue "could have been interpreted as referring to Nora Charles and her husband, Nick."]

SHAKESPEAREAN WHO SAID IT? $600: "The Thane of Fife had a wife; where is she now? What, will these hands ne'er be clean?"
(Alex: You got it with a minute left.)

ANAGRAMS OF EACH OTHER $200: A wild canine & a type of domesticated bird it might enjoy
[The end of round signal sounds.]

TOOTHPASTE $400: Inspired by artists' paints, in 1892 Dr. Washington Sheffield was the 1st to sell tooth-paste in these
(Amanda: What are colors?)

REMBRANDT $1200: In the famous work seen here, Rembrandt depicted Aristotle contemplating a bust of this poet
(Amanda: Who is Socrates?)

REMBRANDT $2000: This beloved wife of Rembrandt appeared in many of his paintings, including the one here of the two of them

CLOSE-UP $400: Mind the gap--he spends weekday mornings live with Kelly

CLOSE-UP $800: Defense secretary Robert Gates said he looked into this world leader's eyes & saw a stone-cold killer

CORRECT RESPONSES
Cordelia
Puck
Oklahoma
bowl & blow
greed & edger
etchings
Superior
Aunty Maim
the Cro-Magnon man
Dizzy Gillespie
Richard ("the lion-hearted king")
a hoplite
a spring
Christy Brown
The Last Picture Show
inflation
natural gas
Maryland
South Carolina
culling
commemorative
Nicolas Sarkozy
Nick & Nora Charles
Lady MacBeth
wolf & fowl
tubes
Homer
Saskia
Michael Strahan
Vladimir Putin
floridagator
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by floridagator »

Good game! Good boards! Good set of contestants. Finally a two-time champ. When is the last time that's happened?
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Movie Title References
For this 1971 film the reference is to the 1948 film "Red River".

Spoiler
What is The Last Picture Show? Amanda said Red Dawn; Patrick said Rio Grande; Ann had no guess.

Ann Conger: $13,400-$5,600=$7,800...now a 2-day champion with $21,799
Patrick Fernandez: $7,800-$5,601=$2,199
Amanda Miller: $3,400-$3,300=$100
Last edited by jeff6286 on Mon Dec 08, 2014 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

My brain was completely fried on Counties. What led to Maryland at $200? I also blanked on Allegheny = PA, and clammed on the bottom 3 out of uncertainty.

Safety Dance was the only one of those five Dance songs I've ever heard of. I thought that asking for a David Bowie album was a bit tough at $200.

Called the reversal on Nick/Nora.

Ran Anagrams, but had only three other gets in J! Also, I got all of the first 10 clues revealed in DJ!, but only got two more after that.

Stream gets BMS'd to spring?! Huh?

Surprised myself with 4/5 in Rembrandt (all but his wife's name). Less surprising was the 4/5 in Toothpaste (all but sensitivity; almost WAGged plaque).

Lach Trash: Etching, Aunty Maim, Dizzy Gillespie, bowl/blow, greed/edger.

No guess on FJ! Can't say I recognize the correct response.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

floridagator wrote:Good game! Good boards! Good set of contestants. Finally a two-time champ. When is the last time that's happened?
Agreed on all counts and "a little over a month ago".

Instaget FJ.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

TenPoundHammer wrote:My brain was completely fried on Counties. What led to Maryland at $200?
Calvert = Lord Calvert = Baron Baltimore. I think you can take it from there ...
Lumosityfan
2014 Teen Tournament Champion

Post by Lumosityfan »

Yay! We finally have a 2-time champ!
Jeopardizing questions since 2004!
2014 Jeopardy! Teen Tournament Champion
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

econgator wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:My brain was completely fried on Counties. What led to Maryland at $200?
Calvert = Lord Calvert = Baron Baltimore. I think you can take it from there ...
Seems extremely steep for $200.
Leander

Post by Leander »

It took me 30 seconds to understand the FJ category. I had no idea and guessed at True Grit.

I thought this FJ was pretty obscure.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Seems extremely steep for $200.
That's Trivia 101 -- not steep at all.
grindcore
Some Guy

Post by grindcore »

Hats off to anyone who got FJ. I was dead in the water. Very tricky in my opinion.

I think I did pretty poorly, even on anagram category that I usually kill. Ah well. Good to see Ann break the streak. She seems on the ball.
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

29 right.

Shakespeare- 2; Anagram- 2; Nick- 4; State- 5; "Dance"- 3; Post- 3
Toothpaste- 2; Crest- 1; Close-Up- 3; "Aim"- 1; Rembrandt- 2; Aqua- 1

Lach trash: "Oklahoma", "Christy Brown" (thanks, Daniel Day-Lewis!)

The only movies I thought of were "A River Runs Through It" (didn't know it was a 1992 movie), and "The French Connection", the 1971 Oscar winner. I've heard of the "Last Picture Show" and knew it was 1971, but I have not seen the movie.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

econgator wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:Seems extremely steep for $200.
That's Trivia 101 -- not steep at all.
I don't recognize the name Calvert.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

That FJ should end a few streaks leftover from Kids Week. I thought I might actually have it with Midnight Cowboy, though the date seemed slightly off.
nlw44
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by nlw44 »

I did get FJ, entirely because some time ago I went to the extreme effort of memorizing the Oscar winners for picture, director, best actor/actress/supporting actor/supporting actress. And since then reinforcing that information as one of my "lists to swim laps to" routine. All I can say is thank goodness they picked a movie that had at least one of those 7 wins for 1971, because otherwise, I would have likely been dead in the water. Now, if I blow the rest of the week, at least I've got one in the bank.
"And has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!"
He chortled in his joy.

Lewis Carroll, "Jabberwocky"
mrparadise

Post by mrparadise »

I loved FJ!, should have got it but didn't quite get there. It would have been better placed in a TOC. One of my all time favorite movies, have watched it probably five times, at least. Once Alex revealed, I could see the marquee of that old movie house, tumbleweeds blowing down the deserted street, and maybe Sonny and Duane and Jaycee and Sam the Lion
The Talking Mime

Post by The Talking Mime »

Ended up with The French Connection for FJ. The Last Picture Show came to me with about 5 seconds left, but I had no chance of writing it down in time.

Other than that, I thought it was a good game. Nice to see a two-time champ again.
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."
-Bertrand Russell
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

I got FJ about halfway through the think music; it was the only thing I came up, and it seemed logical.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

I made sure to make a note of which movie the title referred to when I saw The Last Picture Show a few months ago.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.