Monday, December 8, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

silverscreentest
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: Monday, December 8, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by silverscreentest »

TenPoundHammer wrote:What led to Maryland at $200?
Doesn't your list of memorized shopping malls also include Arundel Mills? [Also the reason why Maryland produces so many high level LLamas.]
Silver Screen Test, my movie trivia game show. Watch some of the episodes On-Demand.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

Interesting categories in both rounds, but it seemed there were excess clues left when Alex gave the 'minute to go' warning. Then Patrick would promptly hit the DD and make it even more excruciating to finish the board. I just knew we wouldn't see that last Post Office clue.

Interesting that Ann wagered to tie a zero bet by Patrick, but Patrick wagered to top Ann by a dollar if she bet zero. Does the new rule give the game to 1st place player in the event of a tie?
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

alietr wrote:I thought I might actually have it with Midnight Cowboy, though the date seemed slightly off.
I wondered if anyone would guess Deliverance, since that is only off by one year.
I first thought of Dirty Harry, but that didn't make any sense. Spent the rest of the thirty seconds groping for well known titles from that year, but nothing was coming.
When ALex revealed, I was like: "ohhhhh, yeahhhh...."
Last edited by Category 13 on Mon Dec 08, 2014 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
econgator wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:My brain was completely fried on Counties. What led to Maryland at $200?
Calvert = Lord Calvert = Baron Baltimore. I think you can take it from there ...
Seems extremely steep for $200.
I live in Calvert County. Come by for a cold one! Forbes 500 happiest place on earth a few years back. We sure like it! God Bless Y'all Real Good! (Louis L. Goldstein, MD Comptroller 1959-1998).
This colloquialism appears emblazoned on the intercounty connector bridge, which is named for Gov Thomas Johnson, 1st MD Governor (I live in a trivia hot zone!). Just up the road we picnic where the British Navy came up the Patuxent River in 1814 to burn Washington. They had a pretty miserable time of it in the swamps slogging through brambles and bogs down this-a-way!

Good game for Goatherds. 38 correct with 2 misses. FJ was a blank. Never saw The last Picture Show. Probly wouldn't recall that kind of detail from an old film after 43 years, eh? Toughie.

Interesting gets: 5/5 on Shakespeare by character ( I noticed Ann avoiding this category in favor of the pop music, gotta kno ur Swan of Avon!) Hamlet (his dad died); Lord What Fools THese Mortals Be! = straight off Midsummer NIght's Dream, famous Puck line; "Will these hands never be clean?!" Lady Macbeth after she finished the job her husband didn't have the cojones to do himself, he having been "too full of the milk of human kindness"; and Cordelia of course the devoted daughter who will 'never marry, the better daughter to her father to be'; last was a toughie if you haven't read these closely; Prospero justifies isolating Miranda on a desert island with a deformed subhuman Caliban for her only companion in the Tempest.

Dental category was fun, sodium / stannous (tin) fluoride; potassium nitrate (us old herds have to use this stuff, lol); ADA; baking soda and instaget toothpaste in 'tubes'.

Instaget 'Cro-Magnon' for ancient dudes named for a farm in southern France (the Neanderthals are from the Thal Valley in Germany! You will see that one again!)

Missed Dash Hammett's The Thin Man = Nick & Nora Charles (gave Sam Spade, DOH! That's the Maltese Falcon, fool!) GTK they gave credit for 'Nick & Nora,'
Instaget Nick Carraway = The Great Gatsby, Pavlov.

Rembrandt was core material, guessed right on Homer as the Poet in painting of Aristotle (Socrates was a philosopher, eh?); "Etchings" instaget from 'metal plates'; 'Autopsy' easy get even if not familiar with this painting; NHO Saskia Rembrandt, learn something every day on J! And NHO foot-painting artist Christy Brown, apparently he suffered from cerebral palsy and had use of only his left foot, hence his so-titled autobio "My Left Foot" pub 1954.

Nile springs from Lake Victoria (at least the White Nile; the Blue Nile springs from lake Tana in Ethiopia, and passes through such a narrow deep gorge in so remote a region it has never yet been completely traversed!); Knights of the Garter = Pavlov; I missed one on Greek soldier = Hoplite, gave 'Myrmidon' incorrectly (towering helmet crest is the TMO, eh?); "spring" from limestone was pretty vague, I was thinking, 'stream' gets BMS; could it be that easy?! Lol; Lake Superior is the highest, deepest and westernmost of the Great Lakes, more core info.

The 'close-ups' category has been shown before, it's pretty hard to get some of these zoom-ins, but I recognized Vlad Putin's evil bloodshot eyez instaget; also would have guessed Louis Armstrong but didn't feel confident to pull the trigger on it, was wondering "Could it be Duke Ellington?" IDK! Instaget Sarkozy with the fashion model GF, he was openly having an affair and Barry Obama invited them to the White House but then retracted when he proposed to bring his GF and leave the wifey home. What a piece of work.

Funny how the USPS category only featured one clue really about the Post Office; "Stamps are issued as: definitives, specials and commemoratives";
the rest were 'related topics': inflation / culling / compressed natural gas.

Finally a 2-day champ! Wish they could have cleared the boards; I sense she has been lucky and was able to pick and choose categories that favor her strengths.
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

silverscreentest wrote:
Doesn't your list of memorized shopping malls also include Arundel Mills? [Also the reason why Maryland produces so many high level LLamas.]
ROFLMAO. Long time since I shopped at Wheaton Plaza. Got lost in the parking lot at Montgomery Mall so I moved away down yonder. Annapolis is actually Westfield Mall.
BTW I see on the PM news that living in Gaithersburg is pretty risky, are you far from that plane crash site? I reckon they lived near the approach path. Was IMC today, looks like pilot error. :(
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
Abraxas
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Abraxas »

This was a good game. I agree with others here that it's great to have a repeating champion after so many one-and-dones. I got 32 clues correct including Oklahoma, bowl/blow, Cro-Magnon, and spring, but I guessed Midnight Cowboy for FJ.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

silverscreentest wrote:
True, but I didn't process "Arundel" somehow. You'd think at $200 they'd use something a lot more accessible, like, I dunno, BALTIMORE freaking county?!
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

teapot37 wrote:I made sure to make a note of which movie the title referred to when I saw The Last Picture Show a few months ago.
I saw it -Saturday- and didn't put two and two together... :roll:
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
thenextofken

Post by thenextofken »

I wondered if anyone would guess Deliverance, since that is only off by one year.
I did, and knew it was probably 1972, but couldn't think of anything else, especially since it dealt with a river.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

In the category of so what, who cares, Alex had different glasses on today from the ones he had on for the Friday Kids Week game.

How strange to have roller derby come up three times today between the two contestant stories and a TD bonus.

The Nick and Nora/Nick and Nora Charles was an odd one to have two contestants score on it. When Ann was negged I could not believe the show wanted the last name as well without at least giving a chance on a need more info. It was not until looking at the clue again I understood Alex and the writers were thinking it was two parts both only about Nick Charles.

When I played the clue I read it as a reverse with Nora's information first being the "amateur detective" and Nick's info second being labeled only as the "husband." My response was the awkward sounding to me, "Who are Nora and Nick Charles?" Alex saying Ann only gave "the information?" What in the world did that mean anyway? Weird.

The FJ! category had me try one precall with The Pink Panther/diamond. The clue had me sorting through obviously wrong responses of:

Rio Grande (triggering John Wayne)
True Grit
Rooster Cogburn
The French Connection
Deliverance

I wrote Deliverance to have a guess even though I was Ivory Soap certain it was 1972. Not that I could name the river in the Reynolds movie, but I knew it had to me more eastern and more southern.

The Last Picture Show? McMurtry, Bogdanovich, Shepherd, Texas...and that's about it. I could have pegged it for 1971 in a Guesstimania. In reverse it was not going to come up for brainstorming the year.

Tough one and in regular play I would think the 0/3 was predictable.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I managed to pull out FJ once I hit upon just how a movie's title could refer to another movie. I would have guessed The Last Picture Show to be an older movie just because its title sounds old-timey, but it was the only title I could think of that made sense.
MDaunt
Weighed in the balance and found wanting

Post by MDaunt »

Blazing Saddles...

This strikes me as a trivia question.

I hate trivia.
psgola
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by psgola »

I also guessed Deliverance on the FJ.

Lach Trash: Oklahoma, Dizzy Gillespie.

I liked the DJ! categories also. I was thinking Colgate might be too specific. If they had a Colgate category, it might relate to Colgate university.

Finally a two-time champion!

I laugh when I think of "Aim" toothpaste, as when I was in junior high, I told a friend I took "Aim" toothpaste. She misheard me, and she spit out her drink, because she thought I took "Stain" instead of "Aim"
fritzk3
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by fritzk3 »

Category 13 wrote: Interesting that Ann wagered to tie a zero bet by Patrick, but Patrick wagered to top Ann by a dollar if she bet zero. Does the new rule give the game to 1st place player in the event of a tie?
Nope. It goes to a sudden death format where the first person to answer correctly wins.

I was in the contestant pool / green room with this week's contestants. They were a fun bunch. Patrick, in particular, made an impression on me as someone who was genuinely happy to be there and really enjoyed the contestant experience.
davey

Post by davey »

goatman wrote:"Will these hands never be clean?!" Lady Macbeth after she finished the job her husband didn't have the cojones to do himself, he having been "too full of the milk of human kindness"...
Instaget Sarkozy with the fashion model GF, he was openly having an affair and Barry Obama invited them to the White House but then retracted when he proposed to bring his GF and leave the wifey home. What a piece of work.
The only job that Lady Macbeth finishes is framing Duncan's attendants by planting the murder weapons. Macbeth musters his cojones to kill Duncan, and the next morning he kills the attendants.

Sarkozy came to dinner at the White House in 2010 and brought his wife Carla Bruni.. When he came to dinner at the Bush White House in 2007, he came alone because he and his then-wife had just divorced. Francois Hollande came to dinner this year by himself because he had broken up with his girlfriend. No invitations were retracted.

The point of the FJ clue came to me after about 10 seconds. Haven't had that kind of satisfying FJ aha! moment in a while... Going from Last Picture Show to Red River would have been tough, it's been a while since I saw the picture. Going from Red River to TLPS only required connecting the category and the title.
fowlerism
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by fowlerism »

Another Deliverance here. Felt wrong, but couldn't pull the right answer even though I really enjoyed The Last Picture Show.
MDaunt wrote: This strikes me as a trivia question.
Agreed.
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

For FJ I went with Little Big Man, I was trying to come up with a western.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

I'd love to see TLPS again. I like Ann, the two-time champ. Let's hope she keeps winning!
Onairb

Post by Onairb »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
silverscreentest wrote:
True, but I didn't process "Arundel" somehow. You'd think at $200 they'd use something a lot more accessible, like, I dunno, BALTIMORE freaking county?!
Well, they should have done that last week, but the grown-up s are playing now.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

TenPoundHammer wrote:My brain was completely fried on Counties.
You don't know your counties, TPH. Take note especially of the ones that are unique to particular states.

Calvert and Anne Arundel are both unique for Maryland. They only are county names in the U.S. in Maryland. With two unique ones (don't remember the third), that makes it an easy clue. Anne Arundel has Annapolis as its county seat. As the category got tougher, there were fewer or no unique. For example, two of the three for Pennsylvania were common county names that appear in many states. The third one, Allegheny, is unique to Pennsylvania. New York and Maryland each have an Allegany County. So the clue was negbait for New York, which also has Franklin and Jefferson counties. One had to catch the spelling. (Or remember that Allegheny PA is home to Pittsburgh, while the three in NY are each fairly remote.)

It's easy from the fourth podium, no?
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.