Wednesday, December 10, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, December 10, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6958, 2014-12-10

CONTESTANTS
Travis Darling, a customer service manager from Norman, Oklahoma
Mindy Miner, an attorney from Schenectady, New York
Peter McGillicuddy, a human resources director from Holliston, Massachusetts (whose 1-day cash winnings total $15,400)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Hey, Johnny. Thank you. Thanks, ladies and gentlemen. Well, on yesterday's program, folks, it was not elementary, my dear Watson, for our champion, Peter McGillicuddy. He was unable to come up with the correct response, and yet still managed to pick up $15,400. Nice going. Mindy and Travis, welcome aboard, and good luck to you, as well. Here we go. Here are the categories now for the first round of play...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
AMERICAN FOOD & DRINK (5/5)
PULITZER WINNERS FOR BIOGRAPHY & AUTOBIOGRAPHY (5/5)
ENERGY (4/5)
THE LONG & THE SHORT OF IT (3/4)
6'4" (4/5)
5, 5 (2/3, including 1 missed Daily Double) (Alex: But the 5, 5 refers to the fact that there will be two words in each correct response, and each word will have but five letters.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Mindy: 10 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W
Travis: 7 R, 0 W
Peter: 6 R, 2 W (including 1 DD)

Clues revealed: 27
Triple Stumpers: 3
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,600

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Mindy: $3,800
Peter: $1,800
Travis: $800

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Travis Darling is a young man who does something that many people would consider to be very dangerous. You are an amateur storm chaser.

Travis: Yes, sir. Over the past seven years, I've traveled across the Great Plains. I've seen approximately a dozen tornadoes in that time.

Alex: Okay. You've seen a dozen tornadoes. How close have you been to those tornadoes?

Travis: The closest I've ever gotten is about 100 meters, which is entirely too close.

Alex: Yeah. Okay. Well, at least you're here, so you have survived. Good luck.

Alex: Mindy Miner is an attorney from Schenectady, New York. And she experienced one of those, oh, things that terrify people when they're traveling. She lost her passport when she was about to cross a border.

Mindy: I did. Uh, as part of my study-abroad program in college, uh, we had traveled from Kenya to Tanzania to stay with some people, and discovered right as I was about to cross the border that the passport was missing. And, uh, we were there. There was nothing we could do. So I laid down on the bottom of the bus while everybody else went into immigration, and hoped that nobody came out to check, which they did not, luckily. And three hours later, found it in a book.

[Laughter]

Alex: No harm, no foul there.

Alex: Peter McGillicuddy, a human-resources director who once taught English in a foreign country. Which country, and what grades are we talking about?

Peter: I did. It was in Latvia, and, uh, it was in--it was grades 7 through 12. It was a small school in a very small town in sort of the rural part of Latvia.

Alex: Do you speak any of their language?

Peter: Uh, I studied Russian in college, so that's kind of a second language there, so...

Alex: That helped. All righty.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Peter found the Daily Double on the 24th clue. Peter had $3,600, Mindy had $5,000, and Travis was at $2,400. Peter wagered $1,200.

5, 5 $1000: Dissenting in Hammer v. Dagenhart, Oliver Wendell Holmes said the excessive use of this workforce was evil
(Peter: [No response])

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
6'4" $1000: This tall, Hawaii-born actor has played characters named Ronon Dex & Khal Drogo

ENERGY $600: A 375-foot unit in this type of facility is the tallest structure in Port Arthur, Texas
(Mindy: Uh, what is a windmill?)

THE LONG & THE SHORT OF IT $1000: Named for a minor prophet, it's the shortest book in the Old Testament

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Mindy: $5,400
Travis: $3,000
Peter: $2,400
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, December 10, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
A RENAISSANCE LITERATURE TIMELINE (4/5)
THE FALCON (2/5)
11-LETTER WORDS (5/5)
21st CENTURY MOVIE QUOTES (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
AUSTRALIAN HISTORY (5/5)
POINT "A" TO POINT "B" (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double) (Alex: Two words in each correct response, one beginning with the letter "a", the other with the letter "B".)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Travis: 9 R (including 1 DD), 0 W
Peter: 10 R, 1 W
Mindy: 6 R (including 1 DD), 0 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 5
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $6,800

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Mindy snagged the next Daily Double on the 6th clue. Peter had $2,800, Mindy had $7,000, and Travis was at $4,600. Mindy wagered $2,500.

POINT "A" TO POINT "B" $1200: One a state capital, these 2 cities on Amtrak's Empire Service fill the bill

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Travis who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 13th clue. Peter had $6,000, Mindy had $13,100, and Travis was at $5,400. Travis wagered $2,500.

21st CENTURY MOVIE QUOTES $1200: "Your final answer for 20 million rupees"

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
21st CENTURY MOVIE QUOTES $400: "Look at me--I'm the captain now"
(Peter: What is...)
(Alex: Ohh...)
(Peter: Captain...)
(Alex: Oh, it didn't come to you.)
(Alex: What is [*] starring Tom Hanks? Mindy, you knew that. You couldn't come up with it, either, but you get to pick the next clue.)
(Mindy: Very true.)

A RENAISSANCE LITERATURE TIMELINE $2000: Lady Penelope Rich was the "star" of Sir Philip Sidney's sonnet cycle "Astrophel and" her, published in 1591

THE FALCON $2000: Falcon was the middle name of this early 20th century polar explorer

THE FALCON $1600: This alphanumeric aircraft is also known as the Fighting Falcon
(Alex: That would be the U.S. Air Force's [*].)

THE FALCON $800: The name of this falcon is from a word for wander; appropriate, since it makes its home on every continent except Antarctica

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Peter: $15,200
Mindy: $13,500
Travis: $13,500

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
U.S. PRESIDENTS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Four-fifths for first place; prisoner's dilemma between the two 2nd place contestants.
Peter: Wager $11,801 to cover Mindy and Travis.
Mindy: You have only two rational options. Either wager $0 if you think the clue will be a Triple Stumper or all $13,500 if you think you will get the clue right.
Travis: Your score is the same as Mindy's and your wagering suggestion is the same as well. It's all or nothing.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The first man in the 20th century to hold all 4 federally elected offices: congressman, senator, vice president & president

FINAL SCORES
Travis: $13,500 - $13,500 = $0 (What was FDR?) (2nd place: $2,000)
Mindy: $13,500 - $13,500 = $0 (Who is Nixon?) (3rd place: $1,000)
Peter: $15,200 - $11,801 = $3,399 (Who was Richard Nixon?) (2-day champion: $18,799)
[Alex reveals Travis's response first.]

Total Potential Lach Trash: $9,400

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Peter: $16,400, 16 R, 3 W (including 1 DD)
Mindy: $12,200, 16 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Travis: $12,200, 16 R (including 1 DD), 0 W
Combined Coryat: $40,800

BATTING AVERAGES
Peter: 16/59 = .271
Mindy: 16/59 = .271
Travis: 16/59 = .271
Team: 48/63 = .762

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
6'4" $400: "Clueless Gamer" is a feature on this 6'4" man's late night show
(Peter: Who is David Letterman?)

ENERGY $1000: This type of energy makes the Niagara plant New York State's biggest producer of electricity
(Mindy: Uh, what is water? Waterfall? [*]?)
(Alex: Thank you. That's the word.)

THE FALCON $400: Han Solo held it together as the pilot of this spaceship
(Alex: Less than a minute now.)

CORRECT RESPONSES
child labor
Jason Momoa
an oil refinery
Obadiah
Albany & Buffalo
Slumdog Millionaire
Captain Phillips
Stella
Robert Falcon Scott
F-16
peregrine
Lyndon Baines Johnson (LBJ)
Conan O'Brien
hydroelectric
Millennium Falcon
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

U.S. Presidents
The first man in the 20th century to hold all 4 federally elected offices: Congressman, Senator, Vice President & President.

Spoiler
Who is LBJ? Travis said FDR; Mindy and Peter said Nixon. (Nixon did hold all 4 offices, but he wasn't the first.)

Peter McGillicuddy: $15,200-$11,801=$3,399...now a 2-day champion with $18,799.
Mindy Miner: $13,500-$13,500=$0
Travis Darling: $13,500-$13,500=$0
Last edited by jeff6286 on Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Manhattan Clam Chowder was my only NHOI in Food & Drink. I have heard of Kahlua coffee, but didn't want to guess since "sounds like" had me thinking it might have a letter different.

-1/5 on 6'4"; WAGged Poland at $600, no clue on the rest.

Oil refinery was my only miss in Energy. I knew it was an oil something, but couldn't think of what they were called.

Damn it, mind, I thought you had stopped mixing up Garfield and Cleveland when it came to "which president served non-consecutively".

Obadiah was tough even for $1,000 IMO.

Oddly, the $400 in Movies, Captain Phillips, was the only one of the five that I had never heard of. I got Walk the Line and Slumdog Millionaire, and could've gotten the next two with a little more time.

Similarly, racquetball was my only miss in 11 Letter Words. "What the heck ball sport uses walls?!?"

Lach Trash: Peregrine.

No guess on FJ! I completely forgot LBJ even existed, so I would've been wrong no matter what.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

Anyone remember the scores when Travis hit that movie DD? I thought we were headed for a rather dull curbstomp and suddenly a good game broke out.

Instaget FJ. When Alex went into that bit about Nixon, I was briefly worried that LBJ as a House rep was a figment of my imagination.
Abraxas

Post by Abraxas »

This was an exciting game, with all three players having excellent totals going into FJ. It's too bad that two of them went to zero in FJ, and that Peter lost most of his money also. I got 22 clues correct including oil refinery and peregrine, but not FJ. I guessed Richard Nixon for FJ.
evanakm
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by evanakm »

Harry Truman for me. Google reveals he was a senator, so it wasn't a bad guess, but it wasn't a good guess either.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I had Nixon for FJ, wasn't sure if LBJ had been in the House. Looking back, I should have noticed they said first rather than only.
Leander

Post by Leander »

Nixon was my initial choice for FJ, but the reference to "first person" made me reconsider, since I couldn't think of who might be the second after Nixon. I then switched to LBJ, but was not 100% certain he held all of them.
cosmos

Post by cosmos »

I wondered if Robert Caro would be in the Pulitzer category for his biography of LBJ, but then Johnson turned up later as the FJ response which was even better.
Holocene Hero
Valued Contributor

Post by Holocene Hero »

Oof, that hurt seeing all those FJ wagers

Had FDR for FJ at first, and then switched it to Coolidge right before the music stopped.
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

34 right.

Food- 3; Pulitzer- 3; Energy- 5; Long- 3; 6'4"- 2; 5,5- 2
Lit- 2; Falcon- 2; 11-Letter- 2; Quotes- 4; Australia- 4; A to B- 2

Lach trash: "refinery", "child labor" (DD), "Captain Phillips"

I thought of Nixon first, but figured that was too late in the 20th century to be the first. I settled on Harry Truman. I get muddled about who was a representative or a senator or both.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

This was a fun but ridiculously easy board.

I was disappointed that there wasn't a clue about me in the 6'4'' category, since I fit it! I also wouldn't have guessed that Conan is that tall; I negged with Letterman.

I hate to admit it, but I never would have guessed LBJ for FJ. I guessed Ford.

That was a tough position in FJ for the two contestants who were tied. I commend them for going all in, as it is most likely what I would have done, but since there are no more ties there is more incentive to wager small and hope for a triple stumper.
Ryno

Post by Ryno »

Took a brief mental detour to Nixonland on FJ, but one second later remembered LBJ.
Good game overall.

Lach Trash: Jason Mamoa (big Game of Thrones fan), oil refinery, child labor (DD), F-16

I'm not an Air Force guy, but am in the military and love aviation, so the F-16 clue was fun.
One time swimmer in the Jeopardy! pool
Winchell Factor
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Winchell Factor »

I didn't expect to see the "no ties for second" rule put into effect so soon.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

U.S. Presidents is always a welcome FJ category for me, but they have been coming up with some good brain teasers in recent years.

Gerald Ford was what came to mind first so I stuck with it, even though I didn't expect he'd ever been a Senator. I thought it would end up being Teddy Roosevelt or Calvin Coolidge, or something.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Winchell Factor wrote:I didn't expect to see the "no ties for second" rule put into effect so soon.
Is "no ties for second" an actual thing? This is the first I can recall hearing of it. The podiums did indeed show $2,000 for Mindy and $1,000 for Travis after FJ. Does that mean the tiebreaker is whoever gave the last correct response? It was Mindy, as she added $400 for Millenium Falcon to tie Travis at $13,500 and then neither rang in on the final four clues.
Winchell Factor
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Winchell Factor »

jeff6286 wrote:
Winchell Factor wrote:I didn't expect to see the "no ties for second" rule put into effect so soon.
Is "no ties for second" an actual thing? This is the first I can recall hearing of it. The podiums did indeed show $2,000 for Mindy and $1,000 for Travis after FJ. Does that mean the tiebreaker is whoever gave the last correct response? It was Mindy, as she added $400 for Millenium Falcon to tie Travis at $13,500 and then neither rang in on the final four clues.
It's a thing, Jeff.
Spoiler
If FJ ends with two players tied for second, the second-place prize goes to the one who was ahead going into FJ, and the third-place prize goes to the one who was trailing. If the players were tied going into FJ, as was the case tonight, then the second-place prize goes to the one who was leading going into DJ. I have no idea what they'd do if the two players were tied going into both FJ and DJ!
dexterG
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by dexterG »

The 21st Century movie quotes for $2000 question should have been, What is Kill Bill Volume 1, not just Kill Bill.
Ryno

Post by Ryno »

In honor of today's Slumdog Millionaire Daily Double clue, see the link below:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/ar ... dates.html

If you are sad at the news, here's a song to pick you up; :cry:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/xwwAVRyNmgQ?autoplay=1
One time swimmer in the Jeopardy! pool