Thursday, December 11, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Thursday, December 11, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Placeholder for J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Thursday, December 11, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
TURN, TURN, TURN (2/5)
OH, HI, OHIO! (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
TO LIFE (4/5)
FRENCH LIT (3/5)
NAME THAT SONG (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
MIDDLE "K" (4/5) (Alex: The letter "K" will come up in the middle of each correct response--the exact center.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Ryan: 10 R, 1 W
Jennifer: 8 R (including 1 DD), 0 W
Peter: 5 R (including 1 DD), 0 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 7
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $10,000

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Jennifer snagged the next Daily Double on the 6th clue. Peter had $1,800, Jennifer had $3,800, and Ryan was at $7,000. Jennifer wagered $1,800.

NAME THAT SONG $2000: Buddy Holly named this song for his drummer's girlfriend

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Peter who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 13th clue. Peter had $3,800, Jennifer had $6,000, and Ryan was at $9,800. Peter wagered $2,000.

OH, HI, OHIO! $1200: Courtesy of Genoa, Italy, a 20-foot statue stands in in City Hall Plaza in this city

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
MIDDLE "K" $1600: With outerwear or without, it's a private lounge next to a legislative chamber

FRENCH LIT $400: In 1845 this pere continued the story of a certain trio in "Twenty Years After"
(Ryan: Who are The Three Musketeers?)
(Alex: We were going for the author of The Three Musketeers, [*].)

TURN, TURN, TURN $1200: A heavy wheel on a revolving shaft that helps regulate an engine's power has this insect name

TO LIFE $2000: The movie "Life of Pi" was based on a novel by this author

TURN, TURN, TURN $1600: (Kelly of the Clue Crew demonstrates a tabletop engine with a hairdryer.) The force of wind rotates a central shaft to generate power in this type of engine that appropriately gets its name from Latin for "tornado"
(Alex: Less than a minute to go now, Jennifer.)

TURN, TURN, TURN $2000: A machine that turns energy from a natural source into mechanical energy is this kind of "mover", an old term for God

FRENCH LIT $1200: Here is Amantine-Aurore-Lucile Dupin, known by this pen name; she loved Chopin in more ways than one

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Ryan: $14,600
Jennifer: $10,800
Peter: $9,000

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
THE BIBLE

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Two-thirds for first place. Stratton's Dilemma.
Ryan: Wager $7,001 to cover Jennifer.
Jennifer: You ought to wager to cover Peter, but since you cannot win on a Triple Stumper if you do so, you should choose between wagering $0 and maximizing your winnings by betting all $10,800. You are in Stratton's Dilemma, calling for a wager of more than $7,200 (to shut out Peter) or less than $3,200 (risking the possibility of being passed from behind by Peter). Go with the smaller bet if you believe a Triple Stumper is more likely than a singleton miss by Ryan.
Peter: Consider risking $1,400, thereby beating Ryan on the Triple Stumper (should Ryan wager to cover Jennifer's doubled score).

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The first birthday celebration mentioned in the Bible takes place in Genesis 40 & is in honor of this ruler

FINAL SCORES
Peter: $9,000 - $9,000 = $0 (Who is Pharoah Ramses?) (3rd place: $1,000)
Jennifer: $10,800 - $4,000 = $6,800 (Who is King David) (2nd place: $2,000)
Ryan: $14,600 - $7,001 = $7,599 (Who was Joseph) (New champion: $7,599)
(Alex: It was not Pharaoh Ramses. And I assume you're thinking of Ramses the Great. But it was [*].)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $14,000

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Ryan: $14,600, 18 R, 1 W
Jennifer: $12,000, 14 R (including 1 DD), 2 W (including 1 DD)
Peter: $8,200, 13 R (including 1 DD), 2 W
Combined Coryat: $34,800

BATTING AVERAGES
Ryan: 18/58 = .310
Jennifer: 14/60 = .233
Peter: 13/59 = .220
Team: 45/63 = .714

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
IT'S U.N. ANIMUS $1000: "President Reagan, Rambo only exists in movies", said Daniel Ortega, warning the U.S. against invading this country
(Jennifer: What is Panama?)

4 LEGS FOR YOU $200: Laugh if you want, but I'd stay away from this carnivore seen here if I were you

STOCK SYMBOLS $600: Kids & adults like to create their own stuffed animals at this retailer, symbol BBW
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

CORRECT RESPONSES
Ludwig van Beethoven
Margaret Mead
a shrew
your blood pressure
bloodstone
Bedrich Smetana
"Peggy Sue"
Columbus
cloakroom
Alexandre Dumas, père
the flywheel
Yann Martel
turbine
a prime mover
George Sand
the Pharaoh in Egypt
Nicaragua
a hyena
Build-a-Bear
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

I fully expect when Johnny introduces Ryan tomorrow, he does his Doctor Evil pinky finger gesture when his dollar winnings are read.

Bad neg for the returning champ, and I fully expect a lot of hewing and crying over it both on Facebook and here (but mainly on Facebook), but it was justified as the Bible never clearly states which Pharaoh it was, IMHO attempts to pin the actual one down in historicity is difficult, as the Bible doesn't give many clues (and Egyptian history also isn't all too precise), but, regardless, the Pharaoh still isn't mentioned. (Instaget one for me, btw, I'm pretty good with Bible clues, I wouldn't say they are a wheelhouse, but I definitely do better than average on them.)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I thought of Joseph, but wasn't sure he was a ruler, so I switched to Pharoh. I thought Ramses, but only wrote down Pharoh.

Bad bets by the two trailers.
floridagator
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by floridagator »

This was a good game but I am very disappointed that so many clues get left on the board. Columbus was pretty easy for a DD. I thought all of the Ohio were pretty easy.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Usually I do well on animal clues, but I could've taken an hour and not gotten shrew even though I've had the cat leave at least two on the floor since we moved.

Hasselhoff was the only name I recognized in that TV category.

Didn't recognize that GE slogan.

"What the heck city in Ohio has anything to do with Italy?!… oh, duh."

Rare failure for me in a word category, as Token was my only get there.

Tricky FJ! I was expecting an actual name, not just an unspecified title. No way was I getting this.
OSXpert

Post by OSXpert »

Did we need "of Egypt" or was "the pharaoh" by itself ok?
Abraxas

Post by Abraxas »

This was a pretty good game, but with quite a few triple stumpers. I got 41 clues correct including Margaret Mead, blood pressure, bloodstone, Beethoven (DD), Alexandre Dumas,flywheel, prime mover, and George Sand, but not FJ. I went 5/5 in both the Name That Song and Ohio categories.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

OSXpert wrote:Did we need "of Egypt" or was "the pharaoh" by itself ok?
I just had his title, did other countries have pharaohs?
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

The Bible
The first birthday celebration mentioned in the bible takes place in Genesis 40 & is in honor of this ruler.

Spoiler
Who is Pharaoh? Peter said Pharaoh Ramses; Jennifer said King David; Ryan said Joseph.

Ryan Pensyl: $14,600-$7,001=$7,599...now a 1-day champion with $7,599
Jennifer Gilmore: $10,800-$4,000
Peter McGillicuddy: $9,000-$9,000=$0
Last edited by jeff6286 on Sat Dec 13, 2014 12:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
Leander

Post by Leander »

I thought placing the event in Genesis pretty clearly pointed to a Pharaoh, but it was a bit rough since I could see where you might think you had to come up with a name too .
nightreign
#TeamAlsoRans

Post by nightreign »

Did anyone else get Final because of Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat?
That line, "it's all there in chapter 39/of Genesis" stuck with me, and I shouted Jacob, then Joseph, dismissed them, and got Pharoah with a few seconds to go. I don't know if I would've had time to write it down, but I'm giving it to myself anyway.
FireAntsDefense
This is the Big One

Post by FireAntsDefense »

Something worth noting: the CCs told us to be very specific on FJ!, because unlike in the first two rounds a BMSable response gets neither a second chance nor the benefit of the doubt. That might have been on Peter's mind.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

nightreign wrote:Did anyone else get Final because of Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat?
Yep.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

floridagator wrote:This was a good game but I am very disappointed that so many clues get left on the board.
Actually, they cleared the board in the DJ round and there were only a few clues left after the first round.
But lots of TS.
The pre-Final Jeopardy scores were not bad, for all the standing and staring going on. There must not have been many wrong answers.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

nightreign wrote:Did anyone else get Final because of Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat?
That line, "it's all there in chapter 39/of Genesis" stuck with me, and I shouted Jacob, then Joseph, dismissed them, and got Pharoah with a few seconds to go. I don't know if I would've had time to write it down, but I'm giving it to myself anyway.
*nod* I've performed it enough times that it was an insta-get for me.
evanakm
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by evanakm »

Yes indeed, although the lyrics also state "if you ever find yourself near Rameses, get down on your knees." And for that reason, I probably would have made the same mistake as the champ.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

The female contestant was overly timid on the DD wagers IMO. Especially right after no-brainer Face Book response in the stock symbols category. The LVB clue in the $400 slot seemed like a gimme also, but she totaly blanked..... come on.

Then Peter didn't even try to overtake second place on his DD. I stopped rooting for him after that.
Woppy T

Post by Woppy T »

econgator wrote:
*nod* I've performed it enough times that it was an insta-get for me.
My daughter was in a production of JATD last week. Glad I didn't think of it or I might have guessed Elvis.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

I said to my wife that the champ probably learned his Old Testament from The Ten Commandments, but I hadn't considered JATTD. Easy get for me. I really liked the DJ board.