Wednesday, December 21, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, December 21, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6273, 2011-12-21

Jason Keller game 4.

CONTESTANTS
Janemarie Cloutier, a school librarian from Langhorne, Pennsylvania
Drew Tompkins, a legal software consultant originally from Montgomery, Alabama
Jason Keller, a tutor from Highland Park, New Jersey (whose 3-day cash winnings total $69,800)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Ladies and gentlemen, welcome aboard. In case you missed his first appearance with us on the program last week, Jason has been trying out for Jeopardy! for 16 years. And now after just three appearances on the program, he is averaging over $23,000 per show. Drew and Janemarie, you know what you have to do to replace him as champion, so get ready. Here comes the Jeopardy! Round. And here are your categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
THE ECONOMY (4/5)
STATE CAPITAL FUN FESTS (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
GIVE 'EM A "HAND" (5/5)
HIGHEST-RATED TV SERIES OF THE SEASON (5/5)
5 DEGREES (5/5)
OF SEPARATION (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Jason: 16 R (including 1 DD), 2 W
Janemarie: 9 R, 0 W
Drew: 4 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 1
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $400

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Jason found the Daily Double on the 4th clue. Jason had $800, Drew was scoreless, and Janemarie was at $400. Jason wagered $1,000.

STATE CAPITAL FUN FESTS $800: This city has been hosting its Golden North Salmon Derby since 1947, before it was officially a state capital

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Jason: $5,200
Janemarie: $3,400
Drew: $800

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: It's most appropriate for this time of the year--Janemarie Cloutier appeared in a Christmas pageant...

Janemarie: I did.

Alex: As which character?

Janemarie: I was Joseph.

Alex: You were Joseph?

Janemarie: I was. I was. Well, the real Joseph had to get his tonsils out, so at the last moment, the nun in charge made me a star.

Alex: Uh-huh. And you had a mishap, I understand.

Janemarie: Joseph got to wear a beard, which is very exciting because his beard was held on with chewing gum which you got to chew yourself. And then at the big, ultimate moment, my beard fell off on baby Jesus, and I really didn't know what to do. He wasn't real, so it wasn't tragic.

[Laughter]

Alex: Sorry I missed that show.

[Laughs]

Alex: Drew Tompkins, a legal software consultant originally from Montgomery, Alabama, and it says here you have extensive zombie-killing experience. What are we talking about?

Drew: Uh, well, that's right. Uh, when I was in college, uh, some friends and I, uh, got together and, uh, decided to make a couple of zombie movies, and so I was cast as one of the, uh, protagonists, and it was my job to dispatch with the uh, uh, the pesky undead.

Alex: I'm gonna stand closer to our champion Jason.

Alex: Jason Keller. What's this about you love orange and you're gonna do something related to oranges with your winnings?

Jason: Yes, so, uh, just ever since high school, once I wore an orange shirt to an academic competition. We had never actually won that competition before and we managed to win that competition, so my friends said that it was because of my shirt, and I just felt since then that orange is really good luck for me. And one thing that I purchased in honor of the World Cup in South Africa was an orange vuvuzela, but I lost it, so I'm gonna use a little bit of my winnings to purchase another one.

Alex: Let me go back to Drew, and we'll talk about zombies.

[Jason laughs.]

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
THE ECONOMY $400: From the Latin for "support", it's a benefit given by the government to individuals in the form of cash or a tax reduction
(Jason: What's a rebate?)
(Drew: What is a benefit?)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Jason: $8,600
Janemarie: $6,000
Drew: $1,600
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, December 21, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
THE 21st (1/4)
CLASSIC CINEMA (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
LITERARY CROSSWORD CLUES "T" (5/5)
PHYSICAL SCIENCE (5/5)
PETS IN HISTORY (5/5)
ELF-HELP (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double) (Alex: And you're gonna love this one in this season...)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Jason: 10 R (including 2 rebounds), 0 W
Janemarie: 10 R (including 2 DDs), 2 W
Drew: 6 R, 3 W

Clues revealed: 29
Triple Stumpers: 3
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $3,600

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Janemarie snagged the next Daily Double on the 13th clue. Jason had $17,800, Drew had $2,000, and Janemarie was at $7,200. Janemarie wagered $4,000.

ELF-HELP $1200: In a Grimm tale, elves made these for a merchant until his wife made them clothes; they never came back

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Janemarie who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 28th clue. Jason had $19,800, Drew had $6,800, and Janemarie was at $13,200. Janemarie wagered $5,000.

CLASSIC CINEMA $1600: Originally planned for Charles Laughton & Elsa Lanchester in the 1930s, it was later made with Bogart & Hepburn

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
THE 21st $800: "There is no new thing under the sun", at least according to this 21st book of the Old Testament
(Drew: What is Proverbs?)

THE 21st $1200: This 21st Greek letter is sometimes found before the 2nd letter, beta
(Janemarie: What is alpha?)
(Alex: What is [*]? As in [*] Beta Kappa.)

THE 21st $1600: "The Lonely Silver Rain" was the 21st & last of this mystery author's novels featuring Travis McGee
(Janemarie: Who is Parker?)
(Alex: A minute to go now, Drew.)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Janemarie: $20,200
Jason: $19,800
Drew: $6,800

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
THE NFL

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Four-fifths for first place. Shore's Conjecture.
Janemarie: Wager $19,401 to cover Jason. If you feel like using Shoretegy, try wagering $5,801.
Jason: Your score is within 4/5ths of Janemarie's, so wager between $801 (venusian) and $6,199 (martian), beating Janemarie's maximum safe bet of the difference between your scores while still covering against a doubled score on Drew's part.
Drew: There's no way you can cover a rational wager by Jason, but if Jason decides for some reason to wager everything, you can eke out a win on a Triple Stumper if you wager no more than $6,000.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This team that joined the NFL in the mid-1970s is the only one whose name starts with the same 3 letters as its city's name

FINAL SCORES
Drew: $6,800 - $0 = $6,800 (What is ?) (2nd place: $2,000)
Jason: $19,800 + $5,200 = $25,000 (What is Seattle Seahawks?) (4-day champion: $94,800)
Janemarie: $20,200 - $19,401 = $799 (What are Cl) (3rd place: $1,000)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $4,000

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Jason: $19,600, 26 R (including 1 DD), 2 W
Janemarie: $14,000, 19 R (including 2 DDs), 2 W
Drew: $6,800, 10 R, 4 W
Combined Coryat: $40,400

BATTING AVERAGES
Jason: 27/59 = .458
Janemarie: 19/60 = .317
Drew: 10/58 = .172
Team: 56/63 = .889

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
HIGHEST-RATED TV SERIES OF THE SEASON $800: 1957-58 & the next 3 seasons:
This Western set in Dodge City
(Jason: What is Bonanza?)
(Alex: [*], with James Arness, yes.)

THE ECONOMY $600: (Kelly of the Clue Crew shows a graph on the monitor.) Enacted in 1917 for World War I bonds, the limit known as this has been raised by Congress many times, yet when reached in 2011, its need to be increased caused quite a stir

PHYSICAL SCIENCE $800: In the 19th century a unit of conductance was named the "mho" in tribute to this man who studied current flow
(Alex: Yes, it's "[*]" backwards.)

PHYSICAL SCIENCE $1200: Glycerin reacts with sulfuric acid & this acid, HNO3, to form an explosive
(Drew: What is dynamite?)

PHYSICAL SCIENCE $2000: Despite the name, a substance gains electrons in this process, which puts the "red" in redox
[Applause for Jason's run of the category]
(Alex: Applause for running the category.)

LITERARY CROSSWORD CLUES "T" $1200: All's "Vanity Fair" to him
(9)
(Drew: Who is Thurber?)
(Alex: Yes, William Makepeace [*].)

CLASSIC CINEMA $2000: A 1961 Gregory Peck film was shot on Rhodes, but it's about destroying guns on this other Aegean island
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]
(Alex: [To Janemarie] ...you have just taken the lead away from Jason! Enjoy the moment.)

CORRECT RESPONSES
Juneau
subsidy
shoes
The African Queen
Ecclesiastes
phi
John D. MacDonald
the Seattle Seahawks
Gunsmoke
the debt ceiling
Ohm
nitric acid
reduction
Thackeray
Navarone
thejeopardyfan
(Unranked)

Re: Wednesday, December 21, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by thejeopardyfan »

I think "Juris Doctorate" is unacceptable for "Juris Doctor," right? :roll:
Roadgeek Adam
TOC Geek

Post by Roadgeek Adam »

[4-DAY CHAMPION]

Took long enough after the ToC didn't it? Yay for Jason, is all I can say. I breathed a sigh of relief when I saw The NFL as a category. Of course I went with the wrong 1970s team, because I forgot about the Seahawks. (For the record, I thought of the Bucs, but that doesn't work.)

The topic finally gets to be updated again.
Adam Seth Moss
DoorDasher (since May 7, 2020)
M.A. History, Western Illinois Univ, 2017
B.A. History (minors in PoliSci & PubAdm), Montclair State Univ, 2015
A.A. History & Education, Middlesex County Coll., 2013
xxaaaxx
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by xxaaaxx »

Despite being an NFL fanatic, this FJ sent me racing through the divisions, and of COURSE I hit the NFC West last. Would I have written down Seattle Seahawks in time on the show? I'll say yes, because no one can prove otherwise 8-)

That first round...hmm. I stupidly blurted out Vermont instead of Montpelier, but I wonder how many here went 30 for 30.
SkoolRN
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by SkoolRN »

My Mom came up with the FJ answer in about two beats. I wouldn't ever have gotten it.
"Lefthanders have more enthusiasm for life. They sleep on the wrong side of the bed and their head gets more stagnant on that side."
Casey Stengel.
WRV
Always Lies

Post by WRV »

My first thought was the Philadelphia Phillies (thus demonstrating my practically non-existent knowledge of sports).

Good to see another 4-game champion though.
"If you are lonely when you're alone, you are in bad company." -Jean-Paul Sartre
alamble

Post by alamble »

thejeopardyfan wrote:I think "Juris Doctorate" is unacceptable for "Juris Doctor," right? :roll:
That is correct.

For me, FJ wasn't quite instaget, but I had it within 5 seconds or so. For some reason, I started off with the West teams (probably because my team is in the AFC West, I guess, and they come to mind first) and hit upon Seattle rather quickly.
Roadgeek Adam
TOC Geek

Post by Roadgeek Adam »

alamble wrote:
thejeopardyfan wrote:I think "Juris Doctorate" is unacceptable for "Juris Doctor," right? :roll:
That is correct.

For me, FJ wasn't quite instaget, but I had it within 5 seconds or so. For some reason, I started off with the West teams (probably because my team is in the AFC West, I guess, and they come to mind first) and hit upon Seattle rather quickly.
I started on the east coast, but did this by decade rather than a location, a decision I'm regretting. And in fairness, when I'm the sinned New England Patriots fan in New Jersey, I'm doomed to fail this.
Adam Seth Moss
DoorDasher (since May 7, 2020)
M.A. History, Western Illinois Univ, 2017
B.A. History (minors in PoliSci & PubAdm), Montclair State Univ, 2015
A.A. History & Education, Middlesex County Coll., 2013
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I thought that he J! round was really, really ridiculously easy. The DJ round wasn't as good to me. On the whole I thought that it was a sloppily-written board.

When I saw the FJ category I figured that the clue would either be some kind of word play clue on team names or would have to do with the geography of teams. I came up with the correct response a second or two after Alex finished reading the clue, but I got lucky. I feel a little bad for Janemarie that she lost on an NFL FJ clue after making such a good comeback, but thems the breaks.

Jason got away with one here. If he had let this game slip away then it would have been a big heart breaker, especially since this was his 4th game. I think that Jason will do welll in the next ToC, if he qualifies for it--he has a wide breadth of knowledge and is pretty good on the buzzer--definitely not someone who I would want to have to play.
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

My only miss in round one was "New Orleans" (instead of Baton Rouge!! :oops: )

FJ was near-instant. Back in high-school, first day of school in Sept 1976, the local football "card" man insisted both new teams (Seahawks and Tampa Bay) stunk so bad, neither would win more than one game. He gave us 3-1 odds even, so I dropped a week of paperboy money on that action (20 bucks). After he took the bet (in front of plenty of witnesses), I asked him, "Did you know they play each other in October?" Henh. He really had no idea.

Seattle won that one, and one more a few weeks later, and I was 60 bucks richer.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Those of you who went thru the divisions are doing it wrong. There were only two NFL teams added during the '70s--The Seattle Seahawks and the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

DBear wrote:Those of you who went thru the divisions are doing it wrong. There were only two NFL teams added during the '70s--The Seattle Seahawks and the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.
And if you knew that fact, it made it much easier.
If you didn't know who was added when, the divisions thing was easier.
Spaceman Spiff
One-and-done J! Champ (and proud of it!)

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

I said "Juris Doctoris," not sure if that's legit or not either. I suspect not.

Ran the TV category (guess I watched too much in those days - was surprised they didn't give the full title for "Laugh-In," though) and the state capitals, though I almost said "N'awleans" instead of "Baton Rouge."

FJ was a second-and-a-half-get. Two NFL teams came into being in the 1970s; knew it wasn't the Tampa Bay Dollar Corn (Buck-an-ear), and Seattle clicked right into place.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

How much do pirates pay for their earrings?

Buck an ear.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Paucle wrote:My only miss in round one was "New Orleans" (instead of Baton Rouge!! :oops: )
My wife made the same mistake. But it's much safer to make fun of you. Ha ha! Doofus! :lol:
billy pilgrim

Post by billy pilgrim »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
I said "Juris Doctoris," not sure if that's legit or not either. I suspect not.

Ran the TV category (guess I watched too much in those days - was surprised they didn't give the full title for "Laugh-In," though) and the state capitals, though I almost said "N'awleans" instead of "Baton Rouge."

FJ was a second-and-a-half-get. Two NFL teams came into being in the 1970s; knew it wasn't the Tampa Bay Dollar Corn (Buck-an-ear), and Seattle clicked right into place.
Since Alex specified " the Latin , please", the only acceptabe answer should be "Juris Doctor".
She caught the Katy and left me a mule to ride.
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

Tampa Bay also had the gayest logo when they started out.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

DBear wrote:Those of you who went thru the divisions are doing it wrong. There were only two NFL teams added during the '70s--The Seattle Seahawks and the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.
Ditto for me although I went to Tam first before having 29 seconds left to enjoy the music. If it had been something where I needed to run through all the teams and divisions I would have done NFC first with West, North, East, then South. In the AFC I would do West, East, North, South. I like to think I could do 32 teams in 30 seconds with time to spare. My wager would have indicated such confidence as I doubled up 68000 thanks to adding 28000 (saved 10K in case it was something Casablanca) earlier with Classic Cinema.

If Jason had lost I would have posted it deserved him right for guessing Bonanza over Gunsmoke. That was old TV blasphemy. Jason is not guaranteed a TOC spot, but if he gets there he has plenty of time to get ready and have some Buddy-like success. Remind me not to put him in Bronze.

I figured Jason had won since the sacred TOC thread had a bump I noticed hours before I could see the game. By now I should know to stay off the board when someone is playing a fourth game, but I was enjoying the results coming in for the TD game.

Any guesses for what Janemarie might have been going for with her FJ response? Carolina? If she had figured it out near the end could the judges have accepted the 'Hawks? They wouldn't accept "Sea." with the period to shorten Seattle would they? Is there any kind of acceptable shortcut?

I get why Jason bet 5200, but at least bet 6199 in that situation.
MDCSWildcats86

Post by MDCSWildcats86 »

WRV wrote:My first thought was the Philadelphia Phillies (thus demonstrating my practically non-existent knowledge of sports).

Good to see another 4-game champion though.

They already tried that in Season 26, IIRC.