Sports Jeopardy Episode 13 (12-17-2014)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Sports Jeopardy Episode 13 (12-17-2014)

Post by Bamaman »

This game gave us one of the more memorable wrong questions on a DD.

I got FJ, I think I remembered that he worked for that company. (Yes, kiddies, at one time, ball players had to get real jobs in the off-season). I thought we might see a really big score for the winner, but Andrew played it safe to win the game and the $5,000.
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Sports Jeopardy Episode 13 (12-17-2014)

Post by jeff6286 »

Hall of Famers
He submitted his January 14, 1957 retirement letter on Chock Full O'Nuts letterhead.

Spoiler
Who is Jackie Robinson? Andrew said Sammy Baugh; Jon said Ted Williams.

Jon Wicke: 11,750-11,650=100
Andrew Hard: 11,500-251=11,249...wins $5,000
Jeff Kothe: 2,500+2,500=5,000
Last edited by jeff6286 on Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LeFlaneur
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by LeFlaneur »

I got FJ correct by guessing in regards to the date, knowing that it was around the time that the Dodgers moved and that #42 didn't go with them to LA.
8 Lach Trash: Dave Casper,lifejacket, heated runners, Alethea Gibson, Omaha, Whirlaway, LaMotta, and, 2 ton Tony Gallento: a correct response I owe to my dearly departed father.

Andrew may have been at my audition in Dallas on Sunday afternoon. Just wonderin'.
Le Flaneur
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Too bad for Jeff he could not make the sole solve work for him. Not knowing Omaha (Ron Jeremy :lol: ) cost him.

In April in the Reretaken Down thread I made a post alluding to The Undertaker losing his streak to Lesnar. Sports J! found three guys who don't know their wrestlers. Of course the argument would be made the WWE is not sports. ;)

Jake Lamotta of course has no excuse for being a stumper.

What was Dan talking about with the number code on the scoreboard for each game? I guess I have not paid enough attention previously. I saw 2013 on top, 18 of the left score, 55 on the right score and lights were yellow, red, yellow, red for the indicator for quarters/periods.

The FJ! clue had me searching for a guess. I sensed the retirement was unexpected and first thought Jim Brown. 1957 was too early. Chock Full o'Nuts = coffee. Joe Dimaggio? No, already used and wrong brand. I knew it rang a bell, but could not place it. Was Jackie Robinson's association with company in the movie 42? With time out all I could do was go for humor knowing once again the guy played in the 1960s. I wrote Piersall.

That worked out well for Andrew not to go for the big pay day (We don't know if he was already eliminated from top 3 shot) and get the 5K on a low wager.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Triple Crown winners would be a good thing to put on your short list study guide for Sports Jeopardy!.

Piersal was even funnier than Jeremy. Well done, Mark.

No, pro wrestling isn't a sport, not sure how you lose a streak when it is scripted.
amorris525
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by amorris525 »

I've never watched a second of pro wrestling, but I somehow still knew the answer when I heard that bell.

Jeff's mannerisms were funny.
TerrHeel
Sports Jeopardy! Champion

Post by TerrHeel »

Jeff cracked me up the whole episode. He was so upset every time he lost a buzzer race. There were a bunch of stumpers that were surprising, with Jake Lamotta being tops on the list. I was in the audience for this episode, and sitting right behind Jeff's wife. She was shaking her head the whole time, between the "Ron Jeremy" answer and some other questionable behavior. They actually had to reshoot his interview a few times because when Dan said, "You don't like UCLA," Jeff said, "No Dan, it's F-UCLA." Definitely made for an entertaining episode from a comedic standpoint though. I'm glad Andrew won- his dad actually drove my wife and friend to the studio after we left on the shuttle because there was no shuttle for guests!
TheyCallMeMrKid
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by TheyCallMeMrKid »

Robinson was the first name that came to me for FJ, but I ended up settling on Ted Williams instead. Was not aware of Jackie's association with Chock Full O Nuts. I think Williams retired a little later than 57.

LT on Whirlaway, LaMotta and Chuck Wepner only because Wepner was the subject of a LearnedLeague question last season.
Sheepin' it real.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

I had no knowledge of Robinson's employment. In trying to think of anyone who might have retired in 1957, the best guess I came up with was Bob Feller. I didn't think it was too likely to be correct, but it turns out I just happened to give the best possible wrong answer, as he did retire the same year, going into the Hall of Fame with Jackie Robinson in 1962.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baseball_H ... ting,_1962
heelsrule1988
Sports Jeopardy! Alum/VVL #19

Post by heelsrule1988 »

:lol: at that guy saying Wilma Rudolph was a tennis player and then almost immediately after that the clue comes up about her being a sprinter. Ouch!

12/17: 17,000 (FJ: :()
Rackme32
Three-time Failer Of The Online Jeopardy! Test

Post by Rackme32 »

Bamaman wrote:Triple Crown winners would be a good thing to put on your short list study guide for Sports Jeopardy!.
Yup, there have been only 11 of 'em... (How does a sports-trivia guy not get Whirlaway when spotted "Whirly" for short?) Also, when the category was announced, I figured with such a small group of correct answers, they might have TC winners from other sports, like for baseball hitting and baseball pitching. I bet there are others too. Of course, if this category came up in the year-end finals, they could have used horse racing TC's in other countries...
No, pro wrestling isn't a sport, not sure how you lose a streak when it is scripted.
Yup.

And I'm glad the u$c guy lost. GO BRUINS! :)
psgola
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by psgola »

buzzer beaters 4/4, nfl nicknames 3/4, ballpark eats 3/4, olympic dqs 2/4, african american firsts 3/4, all star pitchers 2/4

buzzard beaters 4/4, put up some numbers 3/4, triple crown winners 3/4, spurs 4/4, interviewing the coach 4/4, punch lines 2/4

FJ: Instaget because of 1957.

Lach Trash: Althea Gibson, Omaha, Jake Lamotta, Chuck Wepner

Observations:

As a Raiders fan, I kicked myself on for not knowing Dave Casper as the Ghost

Ballpark Eats, made it relatively easy, showing a picture of the Marlins helmet and knowing where the Ballpark in Arlington was

All Star Pitchers might be my favorite category as I never expected it to be about pitchmen

On the Undertaker question, didn't think about WWE, I was thinking Rampage Jackson

And on Triple Crown, I thought Whirlwind instead of Whirlway

Also, nice bid by Andrew on FJ to get the victory.
ClosingTime
Valued Contributor

Post by ClosingTime »

MarkBarrett wrote: What was Dan talking about with the number code on the scoreboard for each game? I guess I have not paid enough attention previously. I saw 2013 on top, 18 of the left score, 55 on the right score and lights were yellow, red, yellow, red for the indicator for quarters/periods.
In 2013, Peyton Manning (uniform number: 18) threw an NFL-record 55 touchdown passes.

Other episodes that I can remember have referred to the Miracle on Ice, Pete Rose's hit record, and Roger Bannister breaking the 4-minute mile.