Think Different 223: No Muggles Allowed!

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

nightreign
#TeamAlsoRans

Think Different 223: No Muggles Allowed!

Post by nightreign »

I'm posting this early so that those of you who are busy during the holiday break have a little extra time to enter. This TD is about all things Harry Potter.

The Rules:
(copied shamelessly from previous TDs)
1. Submit your answers to me via this Google Form https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1dnqbB4 ... =send_form by Monday, December 29 at 12:00 PM Eastern time. If you’d like a confirmation of your responses, zip me a PM.
2. No prior research is allowed! If you stumble across an answer before you submit, you’re welcome to use it, but no legilimency will be permitted.
3. Do NOT post your answers in this thread. You may ask for clarifications if they don’t give anything away – if you’re unsure, just PM me.
4. The object of the game is to get as many correct answers as possible while avoiding other players. Correct answers will be worth the number of people (including you) who gave an answer; incorrect responses will be worth the SHEEP score plus 7.
5. You will have the three Hallows to help you on your journey:
INVISIBILITY CLOAK: Under the invisibility cloak, you cannot be seen, but neither can others underneath. Your score will be equal to the number of people who selected this option.
ELDER WAND: Legend has it that with the Elder Wand, you can defeat any opponent. Using this option will give you a score of zero for that question.
RESURRECTION STONE: The stone can bring back the dead, but not in full form. Use this with an incorrect answer, and you will receive the SHEEP score. However, if your answer ends up being correct, you will receive double the amount of points or the SHEEP score, whichever is lower.
There is no bonus for not using any of the Hallows.
6. You are welcome to change your answer at any time by PMing me with the answer you wish to change. This will not affect your score, however, it will change your submission time to the time of your last change.
7. Tiebreakers are by number of singletons, then the number of Hallows used, then submission order.
8. There will be a few bonus questions on this quiz. Bonus questions will take one point off your score, unless otherwise noted. There will be no penalty for incorrect answers on the bonuses, so you might as well take a guess. There are two Nested Bonuses, which require a correct answer on the previous question, and two normal bonuses.
Questions are in the next post. Hope you enjoy playing!
Last edited by nightreign on Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nightreign
#TeamAlsoRans

Re: Think Different 223: No Muggles Allowed!

Post by nightreign »

The Questions:
1. Match one of the 10 chapter titles below to the book it was in. You must specify which title you’re using.
a. Dumbledore’s Army
b. Grim Defeat
c. The Lion and the Serpent
d. The Midnight Duel
e. Mudbloods and Murmurs
f. The Patronus
g. The Portkey
h. The Seven Potters
i. Through the Trapdoor
j. The Unbreakable Vow

2. Name someone on the Gryffindor Quidditch team during Harry’s years at Hogwarts. This can be anyone who was on the team at any time, for any reason, while Harry was there.

3. Match one of the following characters to his/her Hogwarts house. You must specify which character you are picking.
a. Hannah Abbott
b. Colin Creevey
c. Filius Flitwick
d. Hermione Granger
e. Luna Lovegood
f. Draco Malfoy
g. Minerva McGonagall
h. Cormac McLaggen
i. Pansy Parkinson
j. Nymphadora Tonks
Source: Harry Potter Wiki

4. Name one of the 13 characters who appeared in all eight films. (HINT: Minerva McGonagall, Argus Filch, Gregory Goyle, Dean Thomas, and Filius Flitwick appeared in every film except Deathly Hallows: Part I, and are therefore not valid answers.)
NESTED BONUS: Name the actor who played your character.
Source: Wikipedia

5. Name a student in Dumbledore’s Army in Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix.
Source: Harry Potter Wiki

6. Name a teacher at Hogwarts and the subject they taught. Any teacher that taught during Harry’s time at Hogwarts counts. If the same teacher taught multiple subjects, each subject they taught counts as a different answer.

7. Name either a Triwizard Tournament champion (someone whose name came out of the Goblet of Fire) or a task in the Triwizard Tournament. The tasks are not officially named, so any description is fine so long as I can tell you know what you’re talking about.

8. Name a character who died in one of the seven books. (Characters who died before the books started, but whose death is mentioned, do not count.)

9. Perform a spell and tell me what it does. If you spell it wrong, you’ll get one point added to your score.

10. Name a Marauder (real names and Marauder names are different answers) or someone who as in possession of the Marauder’s Map at any point.

11. Name one of the Horcruxes.
NESTED BONUS: How was it destroyed?

12. Name a pureblood witch or wizard. Pureblood means that both their parents were wizards, and that neither were muggleborn. This can include characters who died before the beginning of the series.

13. Name someone who worked at the Ministry of Magic at any point. Characters who were said by JK Rowling to have received a job there after the books end do not count.

14. Name one of the wand woods or one of the wand cores used in Ollivander’s Wand Shop.

BONUS: Put the movies in order of how much they grossed worldwide, highest to lowest. One point off for every correct placement.
Source: Wikipedia

BONUS: Seven is used as a magic number throughout the books. Name one thing that comes in sevens in the series.
Last edited by nightreign on Sat Dec 20, 2014 5:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
nightreign
#TeamAlsoRans

Post by nightreign »

List of entrants (33):
Spoiler
nightreign
cf1140
ElendilPickle
geolawyerman
Lampy
goforthetie
jgamer
gamawire's daughter
sillymoose
RKane
MarkBarrett
econgator
tjconn728
Woof
Abraxas
katiedidwhat
dnbguy
ZachTheRiah
brainpower
ThreeIfByAir
goldenboy
Magna
Holocene Hero
lisa0012
CheezeWhiz
whatisbishkek
immaf
AgentSeto
barandall800
Tigershark
eboettch
Blue Lion
sarah0114
Last edited by nightreign on Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:27 am, edited 15 times in total.
nightreign
#TeamAlsoRans

Post by nightreign »

Clarifications
It has been brought to my attention that the wording for the Triwizard Tournament question was a bit confusing. It's asking for a Triwizard champion, or in other words, someone whose name came out of the Goblet of Fire.

Last names only are fine as long as there is nobody else by that name. If there are others, you need a qualifier. For example, if there were three witches named Molly, Polly, and Holly Anderson, just saying "Anderson" wouldn't work. If, say, Holly was a Hogwarts professor, but Molly and Polly weren't, you could say "Professor Anderson" and that would also be fine.
Last edited by nightreign on Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
goforthetie
(username no longer operative)

Post by goforthetie »

nightreign wrote: RESURRECTION STONE: The stone can bring back the dead, but not in full form. Use this with an incorrect answer, and you will receive the SHEEP score. However, if your answer ends up being correct, you will receive double the amount of points or the SHEEP score, whichever is higher.
This would make more sense if it ended with "whichever is lower". Otherwise, why would you want to give a correct answer with the Resurrection Stone?
nightreign
#TeamAlsoRans

Post by nightreign »

goforthetie wrote:
nightreign wrote: RESURRECTION STONE: The stone can bring back the dead, but not in full form. Use this with an incorrect answer, and you will receive the SHEEP score. However, if your answer ends up being correct, you will receive double the amount of points or the SHEEP score, whichever is higher.
This would make more sense if it ended with "whichever is lower". Otherwise, why would you want to give a correct answer with the Resurrection Stone?
That's what I meant. I'll change it.
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

This looks like fun!
gamawire
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by gamawire »

My answers, just submitted, actually came from my 12-year-old daughter (which she kept prefacing with "I haven't read the books in a couple of years!). Can't wait to see how she does!
"It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing." -- Seneca
sillymoose
Valued Contributor

Post by sillymoose »

I think this is the first TD I've entered where I actually have a chance at winning. I just submitted my answers, and I'm excited for this
RKane
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by RKane »

Finally, a TD that I know a decent bit about. I think I did well. I wasn't 100% on the first bonus (checked afterwards) though
I'm done. Abandon all hope ye who enter here.
nightreign
#TeamAlsoRans

Post by nightreign »

I decided to enter before the TD went live to see how I'd do, then realized that I ought to post my answers here so you all can make sure I'm being honest. Here they are.

DO NOT OPEN THE SPOILER UNTIL YOU'VE SUBMITTED YOUR ANSWERS!
Spoiler
1. b. Prisoner of Azkaban
2. Ginny Weasley
3. j. Hufflepuff
4. Draco Malfoy
nested bonus: Tom Felton
5. Katie Bell
6. Cuthbert Binns-History of Magic
7. ELDER WAND
8. Colin Creevey
9. sectumsempra-uncontrollable bleeding
10. Prongs
11. Tom Riddle's Diary
nested bonus: destroyed by a basilisk fang
12. Regulus Black
13. Augustus Rookwood
14. yew
Bonus 1: Deathly Hallows Part 2, Order of the Phoenix, Deathly Hallows Part 1, Half-Blood Prince, Prisoner of Azkaban, Goblet of Fire, Philosopher's Stone, Chamber of Secrets
Bonus 2: seven horcruxes
nightreign
#TeamAlsoRans

Post by nightreign »

Bump.
I've noticed a few recurring patterns in submission. First of all, make sure to use the Google form linked to in my original post to submit your answers. If you PM your answers to me, I'll happily enter them for you, but your order of entry will be pushed back to when I enter them. Second of all, the question about the Hogwarts teachers requires you to give the subject they teach. A few people have submitted without that bit.

Plenty of singletons still available! Enter today!
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

nightreign wrote:If you PM your answers to me, I'll happily enter them for you
Oops! Sorry, Aria.
nightreign
#TeamAlsoRans

Post by nightreign »

econgator wrote:
nightreign wrote:If you PM your answers to me, I'll happily enter them for you
Oops! Sorry, Aria.
It's fine. You weren't the only one.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Also sorry. Old habits die hard.
nightreign
#TeamAlsoRans

Post by nightreign »

Bump.
Merry Christmas, everybody!
cf1140
Not Jeopardy! Material

Post by cf1140 »

This thread needs a bump
RKane
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by RKane »

nightreign wrote: Second of all, the question about the Hogwarts teachers requires you to give the subject they teach.
I did this one properly right? I feel like I did, but if not then I'll send you a PM.

Cheers and Merry Christmas
I'm done. Abandon all hope ye who enter here.
nightreign
#TeamAlsoRans

Post by nightreign »

RKane wrote:
nightreign wrote: Second of all, the question about the Hogwarts teachers requires you to give the subject they teach.
I did this one properly right? I feel like I did, but if not then I'll send you a PM.

Cheers and Merry Christmas
You were fine. I PMed everyone that needed to add that bit of information.
nightreign
#TeamAlsoRans

Post by nightreign »

Only 23 hours and 3 minutes left to get those responses in! Plenty of singletons are still available!