Friday, January 2, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Friday, January 2, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6975, 2015-01-02

Vaughn Winchell game 6.

CONTESTANTS
Elliot Yates, an opera producer from New York, New York
Mike Blaha, an attorney originally from Homestead, Florida
Vaughn Winchell, a stay-at-home dad and graduate student from Columbia, Maryland (whose 5-day cash winnings total $103,103)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny Gilbert. And remember, ladies and gentlemen, that all of the money that has been won by vaughn will be paid this year. So no matter what happens, he has a long time to do some serious financial planning and not worry about taxes just yet. Mike and Elliot, it could happen to you, too, you know. Good luck, fellas. Here we go. All right. Let's find out what the categories are...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
IN MY CABINET (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double) (Alex: You have to identify the president for us.)
5-LETTER WORDS (4/5)
PLACES THAT END IN "IA" (5/5)
POLICE LINGO (5/5)
LATIN IN PLANT NAMES (4/5)
& THE HORSE YOU RODE IN ON! (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Vaughn: 12 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 0 W
Elliot: 10 R, 2 W
Mike: 5 R (including 1 rebound), 0 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 3
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $3,000

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Vaughn: $3,800
Elliot: $2,800
Mike: $0

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Elliot Yates is an opera producer from New York. Elliot, I want you to tell me about the roommate that almost got you into trouble.

Elliot: Well, my second roommate is the top half of a mannequin named Kipper, and when we were moving to New York, my human roommate, Sarah, and I--she rode in the front seat with us, of course--and somehow, our truck got on the Grand Central Parkway--trucks are not allowed on that--and the bridges kept having a lower and lower clearance. We got to one that was 10'5", and our truck was 10'6", so I pulled to the middle of the road, didn't stop, went underneath it, didn't scrape, but we did scream the whole time, and immediately got pulled over by a cop. And he was like, "You're--you're gonna kill somebody," and we're like, "We probably are." And he was very nice. He was gonna come to our--our truck and give us directions, and I jogged ahead of him and said, "Sarah, put Kipper away." I didn't want him to think we were any weirder than we are. 'Cause we're very weird. And he walked up as my roommate is shoving this humanlike figure down into the floorboard. He pulls his flashlight out and may have twitched for his gun, and I said, "It's just Kipper." [Shrugs]

[Laughter]

Alex: We get all kinds on our show, folks.

Alex: Mike Blaha is an attorney who has produced how many plays?

Mike: Uh, over 50, Alex. Probably at least half of those have been at the Edinburgh French Festival in Edinburgh, Scotland. And now I'm one of the founding producers of Sci-Fest L.A., which is a, uh, festival of science-fiction one-act plays here in Los Angeles.

Alex: Oh, that's getting to be really popular.

Mike: Yes, we did very well last year, so we're doing it again this year.

Alex: Good luck to you there.

Mike: Thank you.

Alex: Now, our champion is Vaughn Winchell. He's married. We've established that. And after you've been married for a while, you and your wife get to be on the same page with a lot of things. Tell us about Valentine's Day.

Vaughn: We'd been married 15 years or more when one February, my wife and I exchanged cards and found that we had bought each other the same Valentine.

Alex: That's it, folks.

Vaughn: Yes. We figured that meant we had won the game and now we don't have to buy each other cards anymore.

Alex: Ever--ever again.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Vaughn found the Daily Double on the 18th clue. Vaughn had $4,600, Mike had $600, and Elliot was at $2,800. Vaughn wagered $1,800.

IN MY CABINET $800: George Romney,
John Connally,
John Mitchell

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
LATIN IN PLANT NAMES $1000: "Pumila" means this 5-letter term in the name of the 4-inch iris seen here

IN MY CABINET $1000: William Jennings Bryan,
Thomas R. Marshall
(Alex: That was the toughest one in the category. [*] is the president.)

5-LETTER WORDS $1000: Collect bit by bit, such as grain left by reapers

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Vaughn: $7,200
Elliot: $5,000
Mike: $3,200
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Friday, January 2, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
IN MY CABINET (2/5)
A NOVEL CATEGORY (3/5)
PENN. PALS (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
PARENTHETICAL SONG TITLES (3/5)
SORRY THE PLACE IS A MESS (3/5)
CROSSWORD CLUES "D" (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Vaughn: 8 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 0 W
Elliot: 10 R (including 1 DD), 4 W
Mike: 2 R, 3 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 10
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $13,200

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Elliot snagged the next Daily Double on the 4th clue. Vaughn had $7,200, Mike had $3,200, and Elliot was at $7,400. Elliot wagered $3,000.

CROSSWORD CLUES "D" $1600: The usually wealthy widow of a king
(7)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Vaughn who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 11th clue. Vaughn had $8,000, Mike had $2,800, and Elliot was at $11,600. Vaughn wagered $3,400.

PENN. PALS $800: This general from Uniontown won the 1953 Nobel Peace Prize for his plan helping European recovery

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
PENN. PALS $400: This country singer from Wyomissing sang the national anthem at a 76ers game at 11 & had her 1st single, "Tim McGraw", at age 16
(Elliot: Who is Shania Twain?)
(Mike: Who is Trisha Yearwood?)

A NOVEL CATEGORY $800: At last count there were 16 books in this apocalyptic series that began with "A Novel of the Earth's Last Days"

A NOVEL CATEGORY $1200: Nicholas Sparks has set many novels, including "Safe Haven" & "Nights in Rodanthe", in this, his home state

PARENTHETICAL SONG TITLES $1200: Rihanna:
"(In The World)"
(Elliot: What is "One Less Lonely Girl"?)

PARENTHETICAL SONG TITLES $2000: Tina Turner:
"(Thunderdome)"

SORRY THE PLACE IS A MESS $1200: (Sarah of the Clue Crew shows ruins and a map on the monitor.) 13th-century Whitby Abbey has been left a ruin by storms, neglect, the suppression of the monasteries &, of course, the German navy's shelling of this historic British county in 1914
(Elliot: What is Dunkirk?)
(Mike: What is Dover?)

SORRY THE PLACE IS A MESS $2000: Pueblo Bonito is one of the ruins of the ancestral Pueblo culture also known by this Navajo word

IN MY CABINET $800: Oral-B's Complete Deep Clean Ultra this those hard-to-reach spots
(Mike: What is a toothbrush?)

IN MY CABINET $1600: It's the ultra strength pain relieving cream by this brand, not the Browns running back of the same name

IN MY CABINET $2000: Swabpoules of this 7-letter brand stop bleeding of minor abrasions within 10 to 20 seconds

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Vaughn: $18,200
Elliot: $16,000
Mike: $2,400

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
20th CENTURY AMERICA

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Four-fifths for first place. Shore's Conjecture.
Vaughn: Wager $13,801 to cover Elliot. Or, you could try out a Shoretegic bet of $9,001.
Elliot: Your score is within 4/5ths of Vaughn's, so wager between $4,401 (venusian) and $11,199 (martian), beating Vaughn's maximum safe bet of the difference between your scores while still covering against a doubled score on Mike's part.
Mike: You just can't cover a rational wager by Elliot, nor can you win on a Triple Stumper. Improve your situation by wagering everything but a few bucks--and then getting Final right!

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In 1923 Fanny Brice made news by having this procedure, later rejected by a woman portraying her

FINAL SCORES
Mike: $2,400 + $2,399 = $4,799 (What is a nose job?) (2nd place)
Elliot: $16,000 + $2,201 = $18,201 (What is a nose job?) (New champion: $18,201)
Vaughn: $18,200 - $13,801 = $4,399 (What is a face lift?) (3rd place)
(Alex: [To Mike] Barbra Streisand, in the film, did not do it.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $16,200

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Elliot: $14,600, 20 R (including 1 DD), 6 W
Vaughn: $14,600, 20 R (including 2 DDs), 0 W
Mike: $2,400, 7 R, 3 W
Combined Coryat: $31,600

BATTING AVERAGES
Elliot: 21/59 = .356
Vaughn: 20/60 = .333
Mike: 8/58 = .138
Team: 49/63 = .778

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
IN MY CABINET $200: Hilda Solis,
Tom Vilsack,
Chuck Hagel
(Eliot: Who is Bush?)

IN MY CABINET $600: Gale Norton,
John Snow,
Alberto Gonzales
(Elliot: Who is Bush?)
(Alex: Which one?)
(Elliot: W?)

POLICE LINGO $400: The LAPD defines this type of "force" as causing a risk of serious bodily injury or, of course, worse
(Elliot: What is brute?)

CROSSWORD CLUES "D" $2000: Checkers, in Cheshire
(8)
[Elliot pronounces it like
"drawts"; Alex pronounces it like "drafts" in his confirmation of Elliot's answer.]

PARENTHETICAL SONG TITLES $400: The Rolling Stones:
"(But I Like It)"
(Elliot: What is "I Don't Love It"?)
(Vaughan: What is "I Know [*]?")
(Alex: Yeah. We'll accept that.)

SORRY THE PLACE IS A MESS $400: I'm King Minos--welcome to my palace on this Greek island; haven't picked up much in the last 3,500 years

SORRY THE PLACE IS A MESS $800: The temple at Tollan, Mexico was once the religious center of thousands of these "Tol" people

SORRY THE PLACE IS A MESS $1600: Add two letters to a Roman title to get the name of this Israeli city of Roman ruins

CORRECT RESPONSES
Richard Nixon
dwarf (small)
Woodrow Wilson
glean
a dowager
(George) Marshall
Taylor Swift
Left Behind
North Carolina
"Only Girl"
"We Don't Need Another Hero"
Yorkshire
Anasazi
dental floss
Bengay
StipTik
a nose job
(Barack) Obama
George W. Bush
deadly
draughts
"It's Only Rock 'N' Roll"
Crete
Toltec
Caesarea
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

20th Century America
In 1923 Fanny Brice made news by having this procedure, later rejected by a woman portraying her.

Spoiler
What is a nose job? Vaughn said face lift.

Vaughn Winchell: $18,200-$13,801=$4,399
Elliot Yates: $16,000+$2,201=$18,201...now a 1-day champion with $18,201
Mike Blaha: $2,400+$2,399=$4,799
Last edited by jeff6286 on Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

I'm guessing this Final was gettable if you knew who the person was who played Brice. Me, I had a Hammer-esque "well, it could be anything!" moment and (un-Hammer-like) WAGged "breast augmentation".
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
grindcore
Some Guy

Post by grindcore »

dhkendall wrote:I'm guessing this Final was gettable if you knew who the person was who played Brice. Me, I had a Hammer-esque "well, it could be anything!" moment and (un-Hammer-like) WAGged "breast augmentation".
+1 for breast augmentation.

Well done Vaughn, five solid wins and a valiant showing today. See you at the ToC.

Two games in a row with a BC clue - wicked. Love that place, have some good friends in Victoria.
Abraxas

Post by Abraxas »

Vaughn, that was a great run! I got 32 clues correct including Yorkshire and FJ.
Rafferty Barnes
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Rafferty Barnes »

Congratulations on your great run, Vaughn.

Elliot Yates was on WWTBAM in March last year and won $58,500 http://wwtbambored.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=47200, and was on Wheel of Fortune in 2011 and won $48,360. Poor Mike didn't have a chance between these experienced guys.

I'm a little curious as to what the rules are about time between game shows now for Jeopardy. When I tried out in 2010 Maggie told me they wouldn't even call me until it had been a full year after my episode aired on WWTBAM.
nightreign
#TeamAlsoRans

Post by nightreign »

Lach Trash: Taylor Swift, North Carolina, Only Girl

I recognized the name Fanny Brice but I couldn't remember where I recognized it from, so I WAGed sex change. I felt pretty stupid when the right answer came up.

Congrats on your run, Vaughn! See you in the ToC.
Ryno

Post by Ryno »

Congrats to DC Metro resident Vaughn on his run.

Lach Trash: Woodrow Wilson, Taylor Swift

Instaget FJ. I'm sure that rhinoplasty would be accepted as well, because that is the medical term. Took me back to the previous Streisand related FJ that aired in October.

Suggestion for the Weekly poll: "I said 'toothbrush' for that Oral-B clue."
One time swimmer in the Jeopardy! pool
WilliamPorygon
Contributor

Post by WilliamPorygon »

Judges question: Would "drought" have been accepted for the "opposite of a surplus" clue? I thought deficit was a better response after it was given, but looking at definitions for drought and surplus in the dictionary, I'm having a hard time finding any reason why drought would be wrong...

No idea on that final. I kind of misinterpreted the part about rejection and went with heart transplant.

And congrats on a good run Vaughn. :)
Holocene Hero
Valued Contributor

Post by Holocene Hero »

Oh my god, Mitch is adorable. Hope he stays champ for a while!

And nice run Vaughn :D
bkellysky
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by bkellysky »

Just for what it's worth, we don't put holy water in cruets. (I'm Catholic, we use a font to hold holy water.) Of course, 'font' doesn't have five letters.
bkellysky
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by bkellysky »

Ryno wrote:Congrats to DC Metro resident Vaughn on his run.

Lach Trash: Woodrow Wilson, Taylor Swift

Instaget FJ. I'm sure that rhinoplasty would be accepted as well, because that is the medical term. Took me back to the previous Streisand related FJ that aired in October.

Suggestion for the Weekly poll: "I said 'toothbrush' for that Oral-B clue."
Wouldn't have been able to spell rhinoplasty!
My wife and I both said 'toothbrush'!
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

My first thought was abortion, but then I thought about Babs and made the right connection. Plus abortion is probably too dicey for J!.
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

alietr wrote:My first thought was abortion, but then I thought about Babs and made the right connection. Plus abortion is probably too dicey for J!.
This was my line of thinking as well.

Vaughn, congratulations on a great run!
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

grindcore wrote:
dhkendall wrote:I'm guessing this Final was gettable if you knew who the person was who played Brice. Me, I had a Hammer-esque "well, it could be anything!" moment and (un-Hammer-like) WAGged "breast augmentation".
+1 for breast augmentation.

Well done Vaughn, five solid wins and a valiant showing today. See you at the ToC.

Two games in a row with a BC clue - wicked. Love that place, have some good friends in Victoria.
YES!!! I also said; "Boob Job!" The wife was like, "HUH? AS IF!?" Lol that's my story and I'm stickin to it. Call me "Wrong-Way." Or Politically Incorrect!

Bah never even thought of Streisand's nose in Funny Girl it just didn't click, wife said 'same' although in retrospectometer, she knew the story.

Good game regardless with 42 correct responses and Lach Trash on Anasazi, Stiptic, Yorkshire, Woodrow Wilson.
Big Negbait on Tim McGraw TOM led me to Faith Hill.... closer read clicks for Taylor Swift debut single titled; "Tim McGraw" grrrrrr....

NHO CRUET; new word! Priests mark these 'A' for Agua and 'V' for Vino...

Instagets: Marshall plan, Don't Fear the Reaper (BOC) Bonfire of the Vanities (Sherman McCoy played by Tom Hanks with Melanie Griffith, by Tom Wolfe);
"Broadway Joe Namath", Minos >Crete; Toltecs > Mexico, the TOM gives half the response! (Rabbit) Angstrom > John Updike's Rabbit series
4/5 in Latin words with Australis = south, somniferent = sleep, Muralis = wall, fetidus = stinky >Smell/nose; NHO 'Dwarf Iris,' sigh.
Transylvania > Hungary region occupied/divided WWII; Alexandria VA (OMG, the Drive! THE DRIVE! NO MORE! LMAO)
"Regal" Capital >Victoria, BC (Also Regina, Saskatchewan, not supported by TOM); Black Beauty > Anna Sewell Novel
2011 film = War Horse (Joey, the Horse); Roy Rogers' horse = Trigger; Clam on Roddy Mcdowell in My Friend Flicka, 1943.
Cabinets for GW Bush, Reagan (AL Haig, James Watt), Nixon (John Conally - Sec TReas, George Romney Sec HUD!), Wilson (Wm Jennings Bryan, - SecState, Thomas R Marshall - VP).
INstagets on Rebar, Levee (American Pie, Don McLean), Ivory, Priors, Backup, Deadly Force, Last Known Address 'LKA', Vice (Squad).

Goodbye for now Vaughn, good solid run, glad you made it 5 games and looks likely you'll be at TOC! Gosh, if we don't get 14 more 5-day winners you will be playing 2-, 3- & 4- day champs!

So bye-bye, Miss American Pie
Drove my Chevy to the levee, but the levee was dry
And them good old boys were drinkin' whiskey in Rye
Singin' "This'll be the day that I die
This'll be the day that I die"
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
TheyCallMeMrKid
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by TheyCallMeMrKid »

I think that was probably the most likely path. I spent about 10 seconds thinking, "what procedures would they have been doing in 1923?" and thinking I was just going to WAG something, and was leaning towards face lift. But then I decided to think about the actress who played Brice--> "Funny Girl"--> Streisand--> rhinoplasty with about 7 seconds left.

Nice run Vaughn!
Sheepin' it real.
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

bkellysky wrote:Just for what it's worth, we don't put holy water in cruets. (I'm Catholic, we use a font to hold holy water.) Of course, 'font' doesn't have five letters.
This threw me off too, apparently it's the special bottles the priests use to prepare the Eucharist.
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

goatman wrote:
bkellysky wrote:Just for what it's worth, we don't put holy water in cruets. (I'm Catholic, we use a font to hold holy water.) Of course, 'font' doesn't have five letters.
This threw me off too, apparently it's the special bottles the priests use to prepare the Eucharist.
That's what they are, but the priest uses no holy water in preparation of the Eucharist.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

The Penn Pals clue with Broadway Joe was just way too easy. Were they expecting average age contestants to confuse Namath with Joe Montana? Montana being a PA native is much less common knowledge than Joe Namath's iconic nickname.

Good game by Elliot. Crossword clues seemed to be in his wheelhouse, so I would have liked to see him wager more on the DD.

I reasoned out "Nose-Job" about 20 seconds into the think music. Boob-job or sex-change (much less a clue about it) in 1923..... I don't think so.

Lach trash on 'Glean' and 'Left Behind'.
Last edited by Category 13 on Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.