Thursday, January 8, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Thursday, January 8, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6979, 2015-01-08

CONTESTANTS
John Schultz, a computer programmer from Ann Arbor, Michigan
Elizabeth Scott-Jones, a budget analyst from Riverside, California
Elliot Yates, an opera producer from New York, New York (whose 4-day cash winnings total $65,000)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Well, our current champion, Elliot, has gotten the new year off to a great start, quietly going about the business of winning games, and, in the process, earning himself $65,000. Will Elizabeth and John be the ones to replace him today as champion? Let's start finding out. Good luck, players. Here we go. Here are the categories for the first round today...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
WORLD OF WATER (3/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
SOLAR SYSTEM RHYME TIME (5/5)
KIDDY LIT (4/5)
"POP" STARS (5/5)
THAT'S NO LADY (5/5)
THAT'S MY WIFE (3/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Elliot: 13 R (including 1 rebound), 2 W (including 1 DD)
John: 9 R, 0 W
Elizabeth: 3 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 4
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $3,400

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
John: $4,400
Elliot: $1,200
Elizabeth: $1,000

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: John Schultz is a computer programmer who is also, I must admit, ladies and gentlemen, a very romantic kind of guy. Tell me the steps you took to propose to your bride.

John: Well, my wife, uh--my wife's favorite singer/songwriter is a wonderful independent artist, who I know--he is available for private concerts, even in different locations. So, we were taking a trip to Las Vegas. I called him up to see if he was available, and, uh, he--I flew him in, and he played a private concert for us, first alongside the, um, the canal in the Venetian as we were in the gondola. I got out--or I stood up and knelt down in the gondola and proposed there. And then, uh, we had a private concert elsewhere after--after the gondola ride was over.

Alex: You have set a terrible line, because you're going to have to keep doing better and better. Imagine what it's going to be like for your 25th anniversary. Start thinking about that now.

John: Right.

Alex: Okay.

Alex: Elizabeth Scott-Jones is a budget analyst from Riverside, California, and also an amateur archaeologist. Which, in my mind, means you get to do all the dirty jobs. You get to have that brush, and you brush for hours in the ground. Is that the case?

Elizabeth: That is correct, but you also get to do the fun jobs.

Alex: Which are?

Elizabeth: You get to actually dig and do the screening. Um, you can stop whenever you want to, so...

Alex: Okay. What's the most exciting thing you have come across in your little digs?

Elizabeth: Um, I came across a full spear point about the size of my thumb out in the Mojave Desert, in the preserve.

Alex: Okay. Good.

Alex: Elliot Yates, we keep introducing you as an opera producer.

Elliot: Yes.

Alex: Where do you produce these operas?

Elliot: Well, I work all over the country. I'm based in Manhattan, but in the past two years I've been out here in L.A., I've been in Memphis, Omaha, Cleveland, wherever the jobs are. It's nice to be able to leave the city for a bit and see the country.

Alex: Most difficult--most difficult opera to produce?

Elliot: I did William Tell, um, in Kansas.

Alex: That's rarely performed.

Elliot: It's very rarely performed because in its full form, it's five and a half hours. We cut it in half, but it was still a doozy.

Alex: [Chuckles] I bet. Okay.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Elliot found the Daily Double on the 24th clue. Elliot had $3,400, Elizabeth had $1,200, and John was at $4,400. Elliot wagered $2,400.

WORLD OF WATER $600: Arkansas' Hot Springs average 143 degrees; presumably these Oklahoma springs are 69 degrees hotter
(Elliot: What are the... Tulsa Springs?)
(Elliot: Oh, I get it.)
(Alex: You get it now?)
(Elliot: Yeah.)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
THAT'S MY WIFE $400: Andy Roddick:
This supermodel

THAT'S MY WIFE $1000: Adam Brody of "The O.C.":
This "Gossip Girl" girl
(Elliot: Who is Blake Lively?)

KIDDY LIT $1000: Writer & artist James Gurney created this series of books, the first of which was subtitled "A Land Apart from Time"

WORLD OF WATER $1000: The maelstrom ride was in this country's pavilion at EPCOT

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
John: $6,000
Elliot: $2,800
Elizabeth: $1,200
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Thursday, January 8, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
BODY CHECK (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
DISNEY SONGS (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
SOUTH AMERICAN CAPITALS (4/5)
FASHION (2/3)
COLORFUL ANAGRAMS (3/5) (Alex: ...each clue will have two responses, each word an anagram of the other.)
RESISTANCE IS UTILE (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
John: 9 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 2 W
Elliot: 9 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 3 W
Elizabeth: 5 R (including 1 rebound), 2 W

Clues revealed: 28
Triple Stumpers: 5
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $5,200

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Elliot snagged the next Daily Double on the 4th clue. Elliot had $4,800, Elizabeth had $1,600, and John was at $6,000. Elliot wagered $4,000.

DISNEY SONGS $1600: Simba & Nala sing it on realizing they've found romance

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was John who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 25th clue. Elliot had $13,200, Elizabeth had $4,000, and John was at $13,600. John wagered $5,000.

BODY CHECK $1200: These in women are also called oviducts

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
SOUTH AMERICAN CAPITALS $400: For a brief period in the early 19th century, it was the capital of the United Provinces of the Rio de la Plata
(John: What is Montevideo?)
(Elizabeth: What is Bolivar?)
(Elliot: What is Brasilia?)
(Alex: No harm, no foul on that.)

COLORFUL ANAGRAMS $800: Robert Smith's band changes its name to a light brownish hue

COLORFUL ANAGRAMS $2000: A yellow-brown color named for a Tuscan city becomes a crazy word

BODY CHECK $1600: Hey, muscles, shoulder the burden of naming the right & left type of this muscle
(Elliot: What are deltoids?)
(Alex: Deltoids are lower. About a minute to go now, John.)

FASHION $400: (Kelly of the Clue Crew shows off her shirt.) Named after a French town, chambray fabric has been called a lightweight cousin to this fabric, also named for a French town
(Alex: Oh, we wear it every day--[*]. De Nîmes.)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
John: $20,600
Elliot: $13,200
Elizabeth: $4,000

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
ARTISTS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Crush for first place.
John: Wager $5,801 to cover Elliot, but no more than $12,599 so as not to fall behind Elizabeth's doubled score.
Elliot: You have the hope of surpassing John if you come up with the correct response. Bet at least $7,401 to force John to wager to win; but if you're intent on holding on to second place, wager no more than $5,199 to protect your second place position from being usurped by Elizabeth.
Elizabeth: Unfortunately, your score is less than the difference between the scores of the first and second place players, so unless they both blunder, you're competing for second place and have no hopes of first. Wager as much as you desire, but remember, you'll have better chances of advancing to second place if you have a larger sum left over on a Triple Stumper.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
He said a 2009 exhibit was the 1st time taxpayers' money was used "to hang my pictures up rather than scrape them off"

FINAL SCORES
Elizabeth: $4,000 - $3,900 = $100 (Who is Pollock?) (3rd place)
Elliot: $13,200 + $7,401 = $20,601 (Who is Banksy?) (2nd place)
John: $20,600 + $7,000 = $27,600 (Who is Banksy) (New champion: $27,600)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $8,600

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
John: $16,800, 18 R (including 1 DD), 2 W
Elliot: $13,200, 22 R (including 1 DD), 5 W (including 1 DD)
Elizabeth: $4,000, 8 R, 3 W
Combined Coryat: $34,000

BATTING AVERAGES
Elliot: 23/60 = .383
John: 19/59 = .322
Elizabeth: 8/58 = .138
Team: 50/63 = .794

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
"POP" STARS $800: A blogger named Bakerella helped popularize these treats

KIDDY LIT $600: This beloved Eric Carle book begins, "In the light of the moon a litfle egg lay on a leaf"
(Elizabeth: What is Hello, Moon!?)

WORLD OF WATER $800: (Kelly of the Clue Crew shows water on the monitor.) Two distinct colors occur in the Alaskan waters when the sea water meets melting snows from glacial valleys, which are rich with this fine, 8-letter detritus

WORLD OF WATER $400: As Turkey's Lake Van is this kind of lake, only one kind of fish lives in it; surprisingly, it's quite edible
(Alex: Less than a minute now.)

SOUTH AMERICAN CAPITALS $800: It's the Andean capital city shown here

COLORFUL ANAGRAMS $1600: A vivid, unchaste red becomes multiple international syndicates
(Elizabeth: What is crimson and car--ooh. I don't know.)

BODY CHECK $800: 2 prominences on either side of its lower end form the upper half of the knee joint; you give me this bone
(John: What is the patella?)
(Alex: [*]. You give me [*]. You got that? Little musical thing. The writers. Blame it on the writers.)

RESISTANCE IS UTILE $400: In 1945 Italian partisans caught this man as he tried to cross into Austria disguised as a German soldier
(Elliot: Who is Hitler?)

FASHION $1200: Quarrelsome or not, men used to wear these shoe coverings that buttoned at the sides & secured under the foot
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

CORRECT RESPONSES
Boiling Springs
Brooklyn Decker
Leighton Meester
Dinotopia
Norway
"Can You Feel The Love Tonight"
the Fallopian tubes
Buenos Aires
Cure & ecru
sienna & insane
the trapezius muscles
denim
Banksy
cake pops
The Very Hungry Caterpillar
sediment
a salt lake (salt water accepted)
Bogotá (Colombia)
scarlet & cartels
the femur
Mussolini
spats
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

Artists
He said a 2009 exhibit was the 1st time taxpayers' money was used "to hang my pictures up rather than scrape them off".

Spoiler
Who is Banksy? Elizabeth said Jackson Pollock.

John Schultz: $20,600+$7,000=$27,600...now a 1-day champion with $27,600
Elliot Yates: $13,200+$7,401=$20,601
Elizabeth Scott-Jones: $4,000-$3,900=$100
Last edited by jeff6286 on Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

So it ends. :( I actually thought that Elliot's performance was better than the new champ's.

Making it a TDD that TPH will post sometime soon saying he's NHO Banksy. (Pre-emptive: "he's a famous graffiti artist, TPH. Yes, graffiti art is a thing.")
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Ran Rhyme Time, all but Dinotopia (NHOI) in Kiddy Lit, but 0/5 in Water, Lady, and Wife.

None of the names in That's My Wife rang a bell, either husband or wife. Bundchen seemed particularly undervalued at $200.

Also ran Disney Songs (no "Immortals" from Big Hero 6? For shame, writers! I freaking love that movie… :P) and got all but Georgetown (NHOI) in South American Capitals.

Lach Trash: Buenos Aires, Denim.

Colors really tripped me up. I couldn't think of anything that a dog does to a bone other than chew/gnaw, and I couldn't come up with a color for it. Also NHO ecru, didn't think sienna was yellowish (it's not in the Crayola box!), and negged with magenta/magnate on $1,600.

I thought or sure Resistance would be an 0/5, but I managed guerilla and Lusitania.

Huge DJ! for me, with 16 right, 3/5 on the $2,000 boxes and 5/6 on the $1,2000s.

No guess on FJ! dhkendall is right in that I've NHO Banksy.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

dhkendall wrote: Yes, graffiti art is a thing
Yup. An oxymoron. (I kid. Kinda. Seriously though...meh.)

In any event, instaget FJ. Not that I could've named any others.
Leander

Post by Leander »

This FJ also falls into the category of "who else could it be", but does require that you know who the guy is to begin with.
Abraxas

Post by Abraxas »

John and Elliot both played well. I got 31 responses correct, but none of the triple stumpers. I had no guess for FJ.
zakharov

Post by zakharov »

Leander wrote:This FJ also falls into the category of "who else could it be", but does require that you know who the guy is to begin with.
Yep. He (or she!) is not exactly obscure though.

Much as I usually dominate wordplay categories, I always get destroyed by anagrams. When you have to anagram two words from each other? Forget it. My first 0/5 in a long time. Didn't help that I'd never heard of ecru. At least I cleaned up on Disney Songs.
4-time pool swimmer - last audition June 2019
Follow me on Twitter @JakeMHS
billiej

Post by billiej »

dhkendall wrote:
Making it a TDD that TPH will post sometime soon saying he's NHO Banksy. (Pre-emptive: "he's a famous graffiti artist, TPH. Yes, graffiti art is a thing.")
Well, confession time. I haven't heard of him either. I did realize from the clue that it would be a graffiti artist. But I couldn't have named one.
Holocene Hero
Valued Contributor

Post by Holocene Hero »

One game short. Drat, Elliot is one of my favorite champs of all time and I was hoping to see him again :(

Really competitive game though. It was incredibly fun watching Elliot and John go back and forth. And it says a lot about how much Disney has permeated mainstream culture that it's practically impossible to create a "Disney Songs" TS.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

billiej wrote:
dhkendall wrote:
Well, confession time. I haven't heard of him either. I did realize from the clue that it would be a graffiti artist. But I couldn't have named one.
Which is how I knew that TPH (read: the average person) wouldn't have heard of him. He's a famous artist but not like Da Vinci or Picasso or Pollack.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
KazooJ!fan
Valued Contributor

Post by KazooJ!fan »

That was a great game. It's not very often that someone from Michigan wins on Jeopardy!.

I'll be watching tomorrow since I'll be snowed in.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

Looked like Elliot wore the same sweater from Tuesday's game. No complaints from me.
Really sad to see him go. He just didn't get anything going in single Jeopardy, which seemed to be a pattern in most of his other games. John had the advantage going into DJ and was able to stay on Elliot's heels until he faltered.

*EDIT*
Augumenting this post to say the DD that John made, combined with the DD that Elliot missed, made for a $9000(?) swing which was a huge factor in Elliot not continuing his championship run.

I picked up on the DD mathmatical TOM and got "Boiling Springs"
Last edited by Category 13 on Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

TenPoundHammer wrote:None of the names in That's My Wife rang a bell, either husband or wife. Bundchen seemed particularly undervalued at $200.
http://www.jboard.tv/viewtopic.php?f=1& ... dy#p139207
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Colors really tripped me up. I couldn't think of anything that a dog does to a bone other than chew/gnaw, and I couldn't come up with a color for it. Also NHO ecru, didn't think sienna was yellowish (it's not in the Crayola box!), and negged with magenta/magnate on $1,600.
Yellow-brown is how they described it. "Raw Sienna" and the darker "Burnt Sienna" have been Crayola colors for about 50 years.

I anagrammed "cartel" to "claret". It's a different shade of red. Judges?
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
nserven
At the Clam Shack

Post by nserven »

Leander wrote:This FJ also falls into the category of "who else could it be", but does require that you know who the guy is to begin with.
I knew who he was and still said Shepard Fairey.
AntmanB

Post by AntmanB »

the disney category seemed really easy for double jeopardy.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

teapot37 wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:Colors really tripped me up. I couldn't think of anything that a dog does to a bone other than chew/gnaw, and I couldn't come up with a color for it. Also NHO ecru, didn't think sienna was yellowish (it's not in the Crayola box!), and negged with magenta/magnate on $1,600.
Yellow-brown is how they described it. "Raw Sienna" and the darker "Burnt Sienna" have been Crayola colors for about 50 years.
I just pulled out the Crayolas (yes, I still own Crayolas at 27 — shut up), and "raw sienna" doesn't look remotely yellowish to me.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

dhkendall wrote:So it ends. :( I actually thought that Elliot's performance was better than the new champ's.

I guess I'm just a moron like TPH because I gave never heard of him, either.