Thursday, January 15, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Thursday, January 15, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6984, 2015-01-15

John Schultz game 6.

CONTESTANTS
Amanda Boitano, a 10th grade English teacher originally from Smithtown, New York
Patricia Kelvin, an editor of a monthly newspaper from Poland, Ohio
John Schultz, a computer programmer from Ann Arbor, Michigan (whose 5-day cash winnings total $104,500)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny Gilbert, and thank you, ladies and gentlemen, and welcome aboard. Well, in his own quiet and unassuming way, John Schultz has been performing brilliantly as the Jeopardy! champion. Patricia and Amanda, you got your work cut out for you today, but it can be done. Good luck. Here we go. Categories are as follows...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
GONNA FLY NOW (5/5)
HERALDRY (4/5)
DOUBLE "O" (4/5)
HOMER (3/4)
THE ILL-IAD (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
THE ODYSSEY (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Patricia: 10 R (including 2 rebounds and 1 DD), 1 W
Amanda: 10 R (including 1 rebound), 2 W
John: 5 R (including 1 rebound), 2 W

Clues revealed: 29
Triple Stumpers: 4
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,600

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Patricia: $2,400
Amanda: $2,200
John: $1,000

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Amanda Boitano is a teacher, a 10th grade English teacher, but she's also a Teacher for America? What does that mean?

Amanda: So I'm a member of an organization called Teach for America, which is a, um, a charitable organization through AmeriCorps that places teachers in underserved communities, urban or rural, and puts students who are--lack opportunities in other areas of their lives more opportunities to get an excellent education.

Alex: Well, good for you. You're doing good work.

Amanda: Thank you.

Alex: Patricia Kelvin from Poland, Ohio. Governor--former Governor Reagan cured you of your shyness? How did he do that?

Patricia: Yes.

Alex: He was very gregarious and outgoing.

Patricia: He was. Many years ago, as a younger and much shier public relations director for a hospital, I had the opportunity to give the governor a tour of the hospital, and I thought, "He'll be done in ten minutes. I can handle this."

Alex: Mm-hmm.

Patricia: He was there for two hours meeting all the children and their parents. And after that I thought, "If I can talk to Governor Reagan for two hours, I should be able to talk to anybody."

Alex: Including yours truly.

Patricia: Yes, indeed.

Alex: Well, thank you very much for talking to me.

Alex: John Schultz is our champion. He's already planned where he's going to spend some of it, and it has to do with cooking. Tell us about it first.

John: Well, my wife Elizabeth, who's in the audience, will be surprised to hear this, but, uh... [Laughs] She's an amazing baker, and I-I--she often, uh, bakes to bring--for me to bring food into work, and all of my co-workers, uh, want her to start up a venture where, you know, they can buy her wares. And, uh, so she doesn't know it yet, but we now have seed money for something--a food truck, a cupcake truck...

Alex: I think that's a great idea. Yeah, you bet.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Patricia found the Daily Double on the 20th clue. John had no money, Patricia had $3,400, and Amanda was at $3,000. Patricia wagered $1,000.

THE ILL-IAD $800: This disease is more properly known as bovine spongiform encephalopathy

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
THE ODYSSEY $600: Anita Ward sang "Ring My Bell"; Penelope asks prospective suitors to do this, prepare a weapon

DOUBLE "O" $600: A cavalry soldier or mounted police officer; what a...
(John: What is maroon?)

HERALDRY $800: The white at the top of a Canadian territorial coat of arms represents the polar regions; the wavy blue line, this trade route

HOMER $600: In 2012 Josh Hamilton became only the 16th player in major league history to hit this many homers in one game

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Patricia: $6,000
Amanda: $4,200
John: $800
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Thursday, January 15, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
BOUNDARIES OF SPAIN (5/5)
FIRST LADY MAIDEN NAMES (3/5)
EXISTENTIALISM (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
FLOWER POWER (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
WORDS OF FORGIVENESS (4/5)
ALADDIN ON BROADWAY (5/5) (Alex: With all of the clues delivered by members of the Broadway cast in character.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Amanda: 15 R (including 1 rebound and 2 DDs), 1 W
John: 7 R, 1 W
Patricia: 5 R, 0 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 3
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $5,200

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Amanda snagged the next Daily Double on the 14th clue. John had $3,600, Patricia had $8,000, and Amanda was at $9,400. Amanda wagered $1,400.

FLOWER POWER $1200: This "filler flower" often used in bridal bouquets comes in several varieties including New Love & Perfecta

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Amanda who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 28th clue. John had $5,600, Patricia had $13,600, and Amanda was at $14,800. Amanda wagered $1,000.

EXISTENTIALISM $1200: This Danish thinker has been called "The Father of Existentialism"

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
FIRST LADY MAIDEN NAMES $1600: Davis
(Alex: Oh, Patricia, I was hoping you'd ring in on this one, because...)
(Patricia: Just remembered.)

FIRST LADY MAIDEN NAMES $2000: Bloomer

WORDS OF FORGIVENESS $1600: This word meaning to disregard or give tacit approval is easy to "C"
(Amanda: What is comply?)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Amanda: $17,800
Patricia: $15,200
John: $5,600

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
BUSINESS HISTORY

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Four-fifths for first place. Shore's Conjecture.
Amanda: Wager $12,601 to cover Patricia. If you feel like using Shoretegy, try wagering $1,401.
Patricia: Try wagering $3,999, which is as much as you can put up against Amanda without being usurped by a doubled score on the part of John.
John: There's no way you can cover a rational wager by Patricia, but if Patricia decides for some reason to wager everything, you can eke out a win on a Triple Stumper if you wager no more than $400.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Found near Amsterdam in 2010, a 1606 stock certificate from this long-defunct company has been valued at $750,000

FINAL SCORES
John: $5,600 - $399 = $5,201 (What was the British East India T.C.?) (3rd place)
Patricia: $15,200 - $4,000 = $11,200 (What was the Mayflower compact?) (2nd place)
Amanda: $17,800 + $12,601 = $30,401 (What is the Dutch East India Company) (New champion: $30,401)
(John: [Explaining "T.C."] Tea Company.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $7,800

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Amanda: $17,800, 25 R (including 2 DDs), 3 W
Patricia: $15,000, 15 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
John: $5,600, 12 R, 3 W
Combined Coryat: $38,400

BATTING AVERAGES
Amanda: 26/60 = .433
Patricia: 15/59 = .254
John: 12/58 = .207
Team: 53/63 = .841

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
GONNA FLY NOW $800: Legend says this airline's first route map, of Dallas, Houston & San Antonio, was drawn on a cocktail napkin
(Amanda: What is Southwestern?)

GONNA FLY NOW $1000: The year after its 1998 founding, this airline said it would offer 24 channels of live satellite TV at every seat
(John: What is Virgin?)

THE ILL-IAD $400: The swelling that's the main symptom of this contagious viral infection is caused by enlarged salivary glands
(Amanda: What is strep throat?)

HERALDRY $400: (Sarah of the Clue Crew shows a coat of arms on the monitor.) During Queen Anne's reign, the arms of England & Scotland were moved to the 1st & 4th quarters, France in the 2nd, & this land's arms are in the 3rd

HOMER $800: On October 1, 1961 Brooklyn truck driver Sal Durante snatched this player's 61st home run ball & then sold it for $5,000
(Patricia: Who is Mickey Mantle?)
[End-of-round signal sounds.]

FLOWER POWER $2000: This flower has clusters of star-shaped blossoms, not clusters of sheep, as you may think

ALADDIN ON BROADWAY $400: (Aladdin emerges from a beaded curtain to deliver the clue.) "Arabian Nights", the title of Aladdin's opening number, refers to the folk tale collection also known as this many "Nights"

ALADDIN ON BROADWAY $800: (Prince Ali delivers the clue with his princess dressed in blue.) In a highlight from Act II, we take a high-flying magic carpet ride among the stars while singing this Oscar-winning song

ALADDIN ON BROADWAY $1200: (The princess reads.) One of many Disney princesses, I share my name with over 200 species of fragrant flowers

ALADDIN ON BROADWAY $1600: (Genie reads.) In a big 8-minute showstopper in Act I, I emerge from the magic lamp to perform this song, whose chorus is "You ain't never had..."
(John: Who is the Genie?)
(Amanda: What is a [*]?)

ALADDIN ON BROADWAY $2000: (Jafar reads with an evil laugh.) I am Jafar, a powerful sorcerer & grand vizier to the sultan of this mythical land, the setting of "Aladdin"
(Alex: Our thanks to the entire Aladdin cast and crew for providing us with great clues and so much fun in New York.)

CORRECT RESPONSES
mad cow disease
"string my bow"
trooper
The Northwest Passage
baby's breath
Kierkegaard
Nancy Davis Reagan
Betty Ford
condone
the Dutch East India Company
Southwest
JetBlue
mumps
Ireland
Roger Maris
phlox
the thousand and one
"A Whole New World"
Jasmine
"Friend Like Me"
Agrabah
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

Business History
Found near Amsterdam in 2010, a 1606 stock certificate from this long-defunct company has been valued at $750,000.

Spoiler
What is the Dutch East India Company? John said the British East India T.C. (Tea Company, he said); Patricia said the Mayflower Compact.

Amanda Boitano: $17,800+$12,601=$30,401...now a 1-day champion with $30,401
Patricia Kelvin: $15,200-$4,000=$11,200
John Schultz: $5,600-$399=$5,201
Last edited by jeff6286 on Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Man, John definitely seemed to be off his game today! At least his TOC ticket is punched, so we look forward to seeing you later!

Even though John was having an off day, the challengers made it quite exciting, and I look forward to seeing how the new champ will do tomorrow! Perhaps the carousel of multi-day champs will continue.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Tough day, John, but I'm sure you're not too unhappy with the overall experience. Congrats! :)

Instaget FJ.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

NHO Hawaiian Air, and saw no way to get Southwest or JetBlue. Also NHO: Ted Williams (but you knew that) and "condone".

Heraldry and Odyssey were entirely over my head. Not an iota of recognition across either category. I thought the ring my bell/string my bow was a very Sheldon Cooperish clue, too.

What led to Mediterranean over Atlantic Ocean on Spain for $800?

"Acquit" means to conduct yourself well?!? I said "defend" and I'm sure that's a neg?

I haven't seen Aladdin in ages, yet I ran the category.

Is it just me, or have they done the "We'll be back with Final Jeopardy! right after this" every day this week?

I had no idea on FJ!, so if you can't be right, be funny. "What is Willem's House o' Windmills?" NHO "Dutch East India Company" and I'm surprised this wasn't a TS.
OSXpert

Post by OSXpert »

If they hadn't said "Long Defunct", I might have been swayed by possibly saying Heineken Beer, but with that phrase, it was a "What else could it be?" for me.

I thought it would be a triple get.
Last edited by OSXpert on Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

TenPoundHammer wrote:I thought the ring my bell/string my bow was a very Sheldon Cooperish clue, too.
That's got to be one of the stupidest clues I've ever seen.
TenPoundHammer wrote:What led to Mediterranean over Atlantic Ocean on Spain for $800?
"Thousand-mile coast" -- it isn't near that long in the Atlantic.

And I've been there, so there's that, too. :)
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

1600s + Amsterdam = instaget before Alex finished reading the clue. That should've been a triple get. Not sure how to explain that Mayflower guess.

When I saw the existentialism category, I was waiting for the Kierkegaard clue. I just wasn't expecting it to be a gimme DD :sigh:
Abraxas

Post by Abraxas »

Congratulations to Amanda on an excellent game and win. Also, congrats to John on his 5-game run. I had 41 correct responses including 4 triple stumpers: "4 home runs in one game", Nancy Reagan, Betty Ford, and condone. I was surprised that Patricia didn't ring in on the clue about Nancy Reagan, after she (Patricia) earlier had talked about conversing with Ronald Reagan. I got FJ instantly.
Leander

Post by Leander »

econgator wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:I thought the ring my bell/string my bow was a very Sheldon Cooperish clue, too.
TenPoundHammer wrote:What led to Mediterranean over Atlantic Ocean on Spain for $800?
"Thousand-mile coast" -- it isn't near that long in the Atlantic.

And sometimes, I think you just have to know that the Balearic Islands are in the Mediterranean. Every clue doesn't have to have a TOM to guide one to an answer.

I think this FJ was in the what else could it be category, but I can see for some players it might not be top of mind enough to come up with in 30 seconds.
Holocene Hero
Valued Contributor

Post by Holocene Hero »

Good luck with the food truck, John!
TomKBaltimoreBoy
Lucky to be Here

Post by TomKBaltimoreBoy »

xxaaaxx wrote:1600s + Amsterdam = instaget before Alex finished reading the clue. That should've been a triple get. Not sure how to explain that Mayflower guess.

When I saw the existentialism category, I was waiting for the Kierkegaard clue. I just wasn't expecting it to be a gimme DD :sigh:
Perhaps she went from the fact that the Separatists (later Pilgrims) first sought refuge in the Netherlands from James I. Was slightly worried that it would be the Dutch West Indies Company. After all, the East India Company was active in some form until Indonesia became independent, I believe, which wouldn't be THAT long ago.

I'm also surprised that TPH is unfamiliar with condoning, as he is often the beneficiary of it. :)

Very impressive win by Amanda, especially after the intelligent wagers by the other contestants in Final.
Life IS pain, Princess. Anyone telling you differently is selling something.
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

28 right.

Gonna- 2; Herald- 2; OO- 3; Homer- 4; Ill-iad- 4; Odyssey- 1
Spain- 4; Lady- 5; Exist- 0; Flower- 1; Forgive- 1; Aladdin- 1

Lach Trash: "Northern Passage", "4 HR's", "Nancy Reagan", "Betty Ford"

Instaget FJ.
Winchell Factor
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Winchell Factor »

Congratulations to John on a really great run.

And if she comes by here, which I really hope she will, congratulations to Amanda on a very well played game and a great one-game total.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Leander wrote:
econgator wrote:"Thousand-mile coast" -- it isn't near that long in the Atlantic.

And sometimes, I think you just have to know that the Balearic Islands are in the Mediterranean. Every clue doesn't have to have a TOM to guide one to an answer.
I still think both coasts of Spain look equally long to me.
Leander

Post by Leander »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Leander wrote:
econgator wrote:"Thousand-mile coast" -- it isn't near that long in the Atlantic.

I still think both coasts of Spain look equally long to me.
Actually, it seems that the Atlantic/Bay of Biscay coast is longer than the Med coast (1300 vs 1000 miles). Which is why I said sometimes you just have to know the facts of where things are.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Leander wrote:Actually, it seems that the Atlantic/Bay of Biscay coast is longer than the Med coast (1300 vs 1000 miles). Which is why I said sometimes you just have to know the facts of where things are.
Yeah ... It's "longer" because of all the winding of the coast. It basically sextuples the 200 miles of distance it really is.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

econgator wrote:
Leander wrote:Actually, it seems that the Atlantic/Bay of Biscay coast is longer than the Med coast (1300 vs 1000 miles). Which is why I said sometimes you just have to know the facts of where things are.
Yeah ... It's "longer" because of all the winding of the coast. It basically sextuples the 200 miles of distance it really is.
Also don't forget the Med coast includes the Balearic coast, easily adding a few hundred miles to the Med's total.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

econgator wrote:
Agreed. I am familiar with the Anita Ward song, but to ask a contestant to make a connection to (whatever the category was) from a 1979 disco song was pretty silly.
TenPoundHammer wrote: Also NHO: Ted Williams (but you knew that).
What amazes me is Patricia knowing enough about Mickey Mantle to come up with that response, but NOT know about Roger Maris.
BTW what was her occupation? If she is a (retired) nurse, and the illness category was her strong suit, I wish she would have wagered more on the DD.

Also interesting is Nancy Reagan has a daughter named Pattie (Patricia) Davis.
I'm pretty surprised that clue was a stand and stare.