Think Different 226: 2014 in Review

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

dnbguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Think Different 226: 2014 in Review

Post by dnbguy »

Welcome to Think Different 226! During my last TD, we all traveled back in time to 2004. I thought the last TD went well, so in the spirit of “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it”, we are going back in time once more! This time, though, our destination is the much more recent past – specifically, 2014. How well do you remember the year we just finished?

RULES:
1. The object of this game is to score the fewest points among all entrants.
2. PM me (do not post in this thread!) all of your answers.
3. For each correct answer, you will receive the number of points equal to the number of people who gave that answer.
4. The SHEEP answer is the most popular answer given by players. It may be incorrect! DROPs and WRITE A CHECKs (see below) do not count, though.
5. For each incorrect answer, you will receive the number of points equal to the most popular answer (the SHEEP) + 5.
6. You may DROP one question. You will receive 0 points for that question.
7. You may WRITE A CHECK on one question. You will receive the SHEEP score for that answer.
8. You may not actively perform any outside research. If you happen to stumble upon a correct answer passively, then consider yourself lucky.
9. You may resubmit your answers as many times as you like before the deadline, provided that you have not researched any answers (see rule 8).
10. Ties will be broken by submission order. If you have submitted more than once, your most recent submission will be used.
11. If you have any questions/clarifications, please feel free to PM me.

Answers must be submitted by 08:00 PM EST on Monday, January 19, 2015. Good luck!
Last edited by dnbguy on Sun Jan 11, 2015 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dnbguy

Re: Think Different 226: 2014 in Review

Post by dnbguy »

1. In the summer of 2014, thousands of people participated in the ALS ice bucket challenge. This album contains photos of 10 famous people immediately post soaking. Identify one of them.

2. Name a movie released in 2014 that made at least $150 million at the US domestic box office as of January 11, 2015 according to Box Office Mojo. There are 19 answers to this question. The 20th highest grossing movie, Ride Along, made $135 million. Among movies that haven’t made $150 million yet but are still in theaters, Into the Woods has made the most, with $105 million.

3. Name one of the 36 US senators elected on or after November 4, 2014. They come from the following states: Alabama, Alaska, Arkansas, Colorado, Delaware, Georgia, Hawaii, Idaho, Illinois, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Montana, Nebraska, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, North Carolina, Oklahoma (x2), Oregon, Rhode Island, South Carolina (x2), South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia, West Virginia, Wyoming.

4. Pick one of the following events, and identify the month in which it occurred. Note that you must provide the letter you choose with your answer:
Spoiler
A. By a 55% - 45% vote, Scotland decides to remain a part of the United Kingdom.
B. Germany defeats Argentina in the FIFA Men's World Cup Final.
C. The United States announces it will re-establish diplomatic relations with Cuba.
D. Stanislas Wawrinka wins his first Grand Slam championship, the Australian Open.
E. Dilma Rousseff is re-elected as President of Brazil.
F. Mo'ne Davis pitches a shutout at the Little League World Series.
G. The final episode of The Tonight Show with Jay Leno airs.
H. Magnus Carlsen wins the World Chess Championship, defeating Viswanathan Anand.
I. Meb Keflezighi becomes the first American man to win the Boston Marathon since 1983.
5. Identify one of the following people who passed away during 2014:
Spoiler
* Prime Minister of Israel from 2001 - 2006
* Comedian who portrayed Sean Maguire in Good Will Hunting and the Genie in Aladdin
* Author and poet whose works include "I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings"
* Actress whose first film role was as the female lead in To Have and Have Not
* Comedienne, most recently co-host of Fashion Police on E!
* Author whose works include "100 Years of Solitude" and "Love in the Time of Cholera"
* Senator from Tennessee who served as Senate Majority Leader from 1981 - 1985
* Child star who later in life served as US Ambassador to Czechoslovakia from 1989 - 1992
* Host of American Top 40 from 1970 - 2009
6. Name one of the sports teams that participated in one of the following games: the 2014 BCS National Championship Game, Super Bowl 48, the 2014 Men's Basketball NCAA Division 1 National Championship, the 2014 NBA Finals, the 2014 NHL Finals, and the 2014 World Series.

7. Name one of the top 15 songs on the 2014 Billboard Year End Hot 100 chart. To help, I've included some lyrics from each song below:
Spoiler
* Clap along if you feel like a room without a roof
* Are you ready for, ready for, a perfect storm, perfect storm
* Love your curves and all your edges, all your perfect imperfections
* I'm in the fast lane from L.A. to Tokyo
* Lately I've been, I've been losing sleep, dreaming about the things that we could be
* Been around the world, don't speak the language, but your booty don't need explaining
* Marry that girl, marry her anyway, marry that girl, yeah no matter what you say
* 'Cause every inch of you is perfect from the bottom to the top
* Head in the clouds got no weight on my shoulders
* Why am I so emotional? No, it's not a good look, gain some self-control
* Let's make a night you won't remember, I'll be the one you won't forget
* But if you close your eyes, does it almost feel like nothing's changed at all?
* 'Cause the players gonna play, play, play, play, play, and the haters gonna hate, hate, hate, hate, hate
* If one thing I know, I'll fall but I'll grow
* Fire up loud, another round of shots!
8. Identify one of the 12 people who are at least partially visible in this photo.

9. Potpourri! Identify one of the following:
Spoiler
* Game developed by Dong Nguyen that was voluntarily removed from the iTunes App Store and Google Play in February 2014
* Former Missouri Tiger and seventh-round draft pick of the St. Louis Rams who became the first openly gay player in the NFL
* European Space Agency spacecraft that landed on comet 67P/Churyumov–Gerasimenko (either the spacecraft or the lander)
* Americans who won the gold medal in Ice Dancing at the Winter Olympics in Sochi (both are needed)
* Chinese company founded by Jack Ma whose $25 billion IPO was the largest in the world
* 17-year-old Pakistani education activist who was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize
* Prime Minister of India, inaugurated in May 2014
* Movie starring Seth Rogen and James Franco that was released online on December 24, and in limited release on December 25
* Transportation/taxi company that has attracted criticism for its "surge" pricing algorithm
10. Finally, 2014 was the year of Arthur Chu and Julia Collins. Below are all the Final Jeopardy questions that either Arthur Collins or Julia Chu got correct during Season 30. Give the correct response to one of them. YOU MUST ANSWER IN THE FORM OF A QUESTION!
Spoiler
o LITERARY QUOTES: A maxim of Ayn Rand was "Man's ego is" this "of human progress"
o CAPITAL CITIES: One of the 2 world capitals that end in the letter "Z"; one is in Europe & one in the Americas
o BUSINESS: "The Everything Store" is a book about this company that in 2012 was home to 1% of all North American Internet traffic
o LANDMARKS: From 1936 to 1987, the Los Angeles Department of Water & Power helped operate this facility in another state
o MODERN DAY SUFFIXES: Dating from 1973, this 4-letter suffix indicates a person or thing that has become associated with public scandal
o NOVEL TITLES: The title of this 1951 novel comes from the hero's fantasy of rescuing children falling from a cliff
o HISTORIC GROUPS: With fewer than 10 member cities in attendance, this association based in Lubeck held its last assembly in 1669
o BASEBALL: Vine Line is the official magazine of this Major League Baseball team
o HOLIDAYS IN OTHER COUNTRIES: William Tubman's nearly 3 decades of leadership is celebrated on his birthday, November 29, in this country
o COMPUTERS: The creator of this computer command called it "a 5-minute job"; in 2013 Bill Gates called it "a mistake"
o NOBEL PRIZE-WINNING AUTHORS: Due to injuries suffered in 2 plane crashes in Africa, he was unable to accept his 1954 Nobel Prize in person
o ALBUM COVERS: This band used a picture of the Hindenburg disaster on the cover of its eponymous debut album
o U.S. STATES: Other than Q, these 2 letters appear the least in the names of states, each appearing only once
o BUSINESS HISTORY: In 1945 this product added a plaid design to its "snail" dispenser
o TECHNOLOGY: When Apple sued for iPad patent infringement, Samsung cited this 1968 movie as the originator of the design
o THE 1960s: In his last speech, he mentioned local newsmakers of the day, including his friend Cesar Chavez & Don Drysdale
o 20th CENTURY PLAY TITLES: This play's title comes from the name of a Greek king said to have carved a statue of a woman & fallen in love with it
o OPERA: In a bit of foreshadowing, the title character's dad has committed suicide before the action of this 1904 opera
o 19th CENTURY POLITICS: A Senate seat from this Southern state sat vacant for 4 years; when it was filled, its ex-occupant had become U.S. President
BONUS: Identify the singer who performed "Let It Go" at the 2014 Academy Awards, as her name was mis-pronounced by John Travolta. (-2 points for the Travolta version; -1 for her real name. Don't worry too much about spelling!)
Last edited by dnbguy on Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dnbguy

Post by dnbguy »

Clarifications:

For the bonus question, I am looking for the name as John Travolta mispronounced it for -2 points. The singer's real name is worth -1 point.
Last edited by dnbguy on Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dnbguy

Post by dnbguy »

ENTRANTS:

gamawire
MarkBarrett
Tpmorrison
geolawyerman
hscer
DadOfTwins
Shaymin
nightreign
mennoknight
ElendilPickle
Holocene Hero
Peachbox
Lampy
pburns1587
Ryno
chip42
Abraxas
Peggles
TerrHeel
sethmoko
Magna
ThreeIfByAir
immaf
Blue Lion
clprez
goatman
colonialrampage
psgola
dott888
brainpower
sillymonkey
Creed Bratton
econgator
Caboom
jgamer
barandall800
whatisbishkek
cf1140
Erik0909
goforthetie
TheyCallMeMrKid
Tigershark
Vanya
CheezeWhiz
Woppy T
tjconn728
lisa0012
TellTheOwlsImHome - check PM!
Sherm
Bamaman
Last edited by dnbguy on Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:00 pm, edited 18 times in total.
Caboom

Post by Caboom »

dnbguy wrote:4. The SHEEP answer is the most popular answer given by players. It may be incorrect! DROPs and WRITE A CHECKs (see below) do not count, though.
5. For each incorrect answer, you will receive the number of points equal to the most popular answer (the SHEEP) + 5.
You've defined an incorrect answer to be worth the sheep plus five. But if the incorrect answer happens to be the sheep, then it would be worth itself plus five, which would result in a loop:
If 10 people answer incorrectly and it happens to be the sheep answer, they get 15 points. But then the sheep answer is worth 15, so they get 20 points. But then the sheep answer is worth 20, so they 25 points. And so on. :lol:
dnbguy

Post by dnbguy »

Caboom wrote:
dnbguy wrote:4. The SHEEP answer is the most popular answer given by players. It may be incorrect! DROPs and WRITE A CHECKs (see below) do not count, though.
You've defined an incorrect answer to be worth the sheep plus five. But if the incorrect answer happens to be the sheep, then it would be worth itself plus five, which would result in a loop:
If 10 people answer incorrectly and it happens to be the sheep answer, they get 15 points. But then the sheep answer is worth 15, so they get 20 points. But then the sheep answer is worth 20, so they 25 points. And so on. :lol:
The intention is to have no loops! In any event, if 10 people give the most popular answer and it is incorrect, then the score they (along with anyone else who gave another incorrect answer) will get is 15.
RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Post by RandyG »

dnbguy wrote: 8. Identify one of the 12 people who are at least partially visible in this photo.
I count 13. Am I missing something?
Spoiler
Caboom

Post by Caboom »

dnbguy wrote:BONUS: Identify the singer who performed "Let It Go" at the 2014 Academy Awards, as her name was mis-pronounced by John Travolta. (-2 points; don't worry too much about spelling!)
Just to make sure, you want the real name and not the Travolta version, right?
dnbguy

Post by dnbguy »

Caboom wrote:
dnbguy wrote:BONUS: Identify the singer who performed "Let It Go" at the 2014 Academy Awards, as her name was mis-pronounced by John Travolta. (-2 points; don't worry too much about spelling!)
Just to make sure, you want the real name and not the Travolta version, right?
My intent is for the Travolta version. I will accept the real name for -1. Thanks for the clarification!
dnbguy

Post by dnbguy »

20 participants in! I'll give this a quick bump.
dnbguy

Post by dnbguy »

Another bump. 32 entries in so far!
dnbguy

Post by dnbguy »

28 hours or so to get your answers in!
Holocene Hero
Valued Contributor

Post by Holocene Hero »

dnbguy

Post by dnbguy »

All answers are in! 51 entries in. We will begin the reveal momentarily. I will do the first three questions tonight...
dnbguy

Post by dnbguy »

1. In the summer of 2014, thousands of people participated in the ALS ice bucket challenge. This album contains photos of 10 famous people immediately post soaking. Identify one of them.

Answers to this one were very evenly distributed, I must say. Our two sheeps are an ex-President and a King (who may not be quite so king-like anymore!):

GEORGE W. BUSH – 7 responses
Creed Bratton
Erik0909
goforthetie
hscer
lisa0012
nightreign
Woppy T

LEBRON JAMES – 7 responses
Caboom
cf1140
chip42
Holocene Hero
mennoknight
Sherm
whatisbishkek

WRITE A CHECK – 7 points
Blue Lion
sillymonkey

BENEDICT CUMBERBATCH – 6 responses
barandall800
ElendilPickle
pburns1587
TellTheOwlsImHome
TerrHeel
Vanya

BILL GATES – 5 responses
dott888
econgator
geolawyerman
Peggles
psgola

KERRY WASHINGTON – 4 responses
MarkBarrett
Ryno
ThreeIfByAir
Tpmorrison

OPRAH WINFREY – 4 responses
Bamaman
DadOfTwins
gamawire
Magna

ANNA KENDRICK – 3 responses
CheezeWhiz
Lampy
sethmoko

KATY PERRY – 3 responses
clprez
goatman
TheyCallMeMrKid

LADY GAGA – Singleton!
Tigershark

DROP – 0 responses
Abraxas
brainpower
colonialrampage
immaf
jgamer
Peachbox
Shaymin
sillymoose
tjconn728

UNUSED ANSWERS
MATT DAMON
Last edited by dnbguy on Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dnbguy

Post by dnbguy »

Standings After Question 1 (corrected - thanks Mark!):
1. Shaymin — 0 pts
1. Peachbox — 0 pts
1. Abraxas — 0 pts
1. immaf — 0 pts
1. colonialrampage — 0 pts
1. brainpower — 0 pts
1. jgamer — 0 pts
1. sillymoose — 0 pts
1. tjconn728 — 0 pts
10. Tigershark — 1 pts
11. Lampy — 3 pts
11. sethmoko — 3 pts
11. clprez — 3 pts
11. goatman — 3 pts
11. TheyCallMeMrKid — 3 pts
11. CheezeWhiz — 3 pts
17. gamawire — 4 pts
17. MarkBarrett — 4 pts
17. Tpmorrison — 4 pts
17. DadOfTwins — 4 pts
17. Ryno — 4 pts
17. Magna — 4 pts
17. ThreeIfByAir — 4 pts
17. Bamaman — 4 pts
25. geolawyerman — 5 pts
25. Peggles — 5 pts
25. psgola — 5 pts
25. dott888 — 5 pts
25. econgator — 5 pts
30. ElendilPickle — 6 pts
30. pburns1587 — 6 pts
30. TerrHeel — 6 pts
30. barandall800 — 6 pts
30. Vanya — 6 pts
30. TellTheOwlsImHome — 6 pts
36. hscer — 7 pts
36. nightreign — 7 pts
36. mennoknight — 7 pts
36. Holocene Hero — 7 pts
36. chip42 — 7 pts
36. Blue Lion — 7 pts
36. sillymonkey — 7 pts
36. Creed Bratton — 7 pts
36. Caboom — 7 pts
36. whatisbishkek — 7 pts
36. cf1140 — 7 pts
36. Erik0909 — 7 pts
36. goforthetie — 7 pts
36. Woppy T — 7 pts
36. lisa0012 — 7 pts
36. Sherm — 7 pts
Last edited by dnbguy on Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Fair is fair, so gamawire should be the first one listed at 4 points. The rest of you are not getting by me on a submission order tiebreaker this time.
dnbguy

Post by dnbguy »

2. Name a movie released in 2014 that made at least $150 million at the US domestic box office as of January 11, 2015 according to Box Office Mojo. There are 19 answers to this question. The 20th highest grossing movie, Ride Along, made $135 million. Among movies that haven’t made $150 million yet but are still in theaters, Into the Woods has made the most, with $105 million.

THE LEGO MOVIE ($257.8 million) – 9 responses
Blue Lion
colonialrampage
dott888
MarkBarrett
Peachbox
Peggles
Ryno
sethmoko
Tpmorrison

THE HUNGER GAMES: MOCKINGJAY PART 1 ($332.9 million) – 9 responses
chip42
gamawire
geolawyerman
goatman
nightreign
sillymoose
TellTheOwlsImHome
TerrHeel
ThreeIfByAir

CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE WINTER SOLDIER ($259.8 million) – 6 responses
econgator
goforthetie
jgamer
Lampy
Tigershark
Woppy T

GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY ($333.1 million) – 5 responses
Abraxas
mennoknight
Shaymin
sillymonkey
whatisbishkek

MALEFICENT ($241.4 million) – 3 responses
brainpower
CheezeWhiz
clprez

THE HOBBIT: THE BATTLE OF THE FIVE ARMIES ($245.7 million) – 3 responses
cf1140
ElendilPickle
Magna

HOW TO TRAIN YOUR DRAGON 2 ($177.0 million) – 2 responses
barandall800
Sherm

BIG HERO 6 ($216.5 million) – Singleton!
lisa0012

DAWN OF THE PLANET OF THE APES ($208.5 million) – Singleton!
Holocene Hero

DIVERGENT ($150.9 million) – Singleton!
tjconn728

GONE GIRL ($167.2 million) – Singleton!
Erik0909

INTERSTELLAR ($185.9 million) – Singleton!
pburns1587

THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 2 ($202.9 million) – Singleton!
Caboom

DROP – 0 responses
Bamaman
Creed Bratton
hscer
psgola
TheyCallMeMrKid
Vanya

INCORRECT ANSWERS - 14 points

FROZEN - released in 2013
DadOfTwins

THE HOBBIT: THE DESOLATION OF SMAUG - released in 2013
immaf

UNUSED ANSWERS
TRANSFORMERS: AGE OF EXTINCTION ($245.4 million)
X-MEN: DAYS OF FUTURE PAST ($233.9 million)
GODZILLA ($200.6 million)
22 JUMP STREET ($191.7 million)
TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES ($191.2 million)
NEIGHBORS ($150.2 million)
Last edited by dnbguy on Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
dnbguy

Post by dnbguy »

Standings After Question 2:
1. tjconn728 — 1 pts
2. brainpower — 3 pts
2. TheyCallMeMrKid — 3 pts
4. Bamaman — 4 pts
5. Shaymin — 5 pts
5. Abraxas — 5 pts
5. psgola — 5 pts
8. clprez — 6 pts
8. jgamer — 6 pts
8. Vanya — 6 pts
8. CheezeWhiz — 6 pts
12. hscer — 7 pts
12. pburns1587 — 7 pts
12. Magna — 7 pts
12. Creed Bratton — 7 pts
12. Tigershark — 7 pts
17. Holocene Hero — 8 pts
17. Caboom — 8 pts
17. barandall800 — 8 pts
17. Erik0909 — 8 pts
17. lisa0012 — 8 pts
22. ElendilPickle — 9 pts
22. Peachbox — 9 pts
22. Lampy — 9 pts
22. colonialrampage — 9 pts
22. sillymoose — 9 pts
22. Sherm — 9 pts
28. cf1140 — 10 pts
29. econgator — 11 pts
30. mennoknight — 12 pts
30. sethmoko — 12 pts
30. goatman — 12 pts
30. sillymonkey — 12 pts
30. whatisbishkek — 12 pts
35. gamawire — 13 pts
35. MarkBarrett — 13 pts
35. Tpmorrison — 13 pts
35. Ryno — 13 pts
35. ThreeIfByAir — 13 pts
35. goforthetie — 13 pts
35. Woppy T — 13 pts
42. geolawyerman — 14 pts
42. Peggles — 14 pts
42. immaf — 14 pts
42. dott888 — 14 pts
46. TerrHeel — 15 pts
46. TellTheOwlsImHome — 15 pts
48. nightreign — 16 pts
48. chip42 — 16 pts
48. Blue Lion — 16 pts
51. DadOfTwins — 18 pts
Last edited by dnbguy on Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dnbguy

Post by dnbguy »

3. Name one of the 36 US senators elected on or after November 4, 2014. They come from the following states: Alabama, Alaska, Arkansas, Colorado, Delaware, Georgia, Hawaii, Idaho, Illinois, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Montana, Nebraska, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, North Carolina, Oklahoma (x2), Oregon, Rhode Island, South Carolina (x2), South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia, West Virginia, Wyoming.

There is a noticeable sheep here, probably because she will be delivering the Republican response to the State of the Union tomorrow night. Since there are lots of answers, the sheep isn't too bad, but if you picked someone else, you scored low:

JONI ERNST (R-IA) – 8 responses
barandall800
colonialrampage
hscer
Peachbox
psgola
sethmoko
sillymonkey
sillymoose

WRITE A CHECK – 8 points
econgator
TheyCallMeMrKid