Tuesday, January 20, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

TenPoundHammer

Re: Tuesday, January 20, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by TenPoundHammer »

opusthepenguin wrote:
alietr wrote:I liked her. I thought she was engaging and human. Nothing wrong with that (except for not getting to all the clues).
Same here. I especially liked "Is that Ogden Nash?"
I'm guilty of things like that. I also said "Was ist die Deutsche Mark?" when it came up.
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

I agree with most of the above that chatty blithering ditherers need to be screened out. She was personable and I suppose she got thru selection by TPTB by appearing witty or charming.
She went to pieces on the show and wasted the 42 seconds we needed to read the last four clues, badly disappointing, esp in geog cat. In spite of the short boards I got 47 correct + FJ instaget. In DJ I took 23 of the 26 clues shown, was blistering hot in these cats. The wife was cheering, yelling lol; "Go Goatman! Who's ur Daddy!!" LOL

Lach trash: "Better a bed of wood than a bier of Gold"; Edward Lear (doggerel verse); Maya Angelou, lol a quote containing 'caged' and 'bird'; Seven Against Thebes (Aeschuylus, 3rd in trilogy Oedipaeaia); Audubon society = a wildlife preservation society founded 1905 ( I could see she was going for 'World Wildlife "Fund"' but couldn't quite get there); William Lloyd Garrison pic of a 'three-named abolitionist publisher' >Pavlov; NHO "Ebeneezer Society or that they went to hide out in Iowa.

AT said the date was key to this and absolutely true. You gotta know that sometime just before New Year's Eve in 1170, Henry II said; "Will no one rid me of this turbulent priest?!" In mockery, but courtiers heard it and the story is often enough repeated and core J! knowledge that it bears a cut& paste from the wiki:
Whatever Henry said, it was interpreted as a royal command, and four knights, Reginald fitzUrse, Hugh de Morville, William de Tracy, and Richard le Breton, set out to confront the Archbishop of Canterbury. On 29 December 1170 they arrived at Canterbury. According to accounts left by the monk Gervase of Canterbury and eyewitness Edward Grim, they placed their weapons under a tree outside the cathedral and hid their mail armour under cloaks before entering to challenge Becket. The knights informed Becket he was to go to Winchester to give an account of his actions, but Becket refused. It was not until Becket refused their demands to submit to the king's will that they retrieved their weapons and rushed back inside for the killing. Becket, meanwhile, proceeded to the main hall for vespers. The four knights, wielding drawn swords, caught up with him in a spot near a door to the monastic cloister, the stairs into the crypt, and the stairs leading up into the quire of the cathedral, where the monks were chanting vespers.

Several contemporary accounts of what happened next exist; of particular note is that of Edward Grim, who was himself wounded in the attack. This is part of the account from Edward Grim:

...The wicked knight leapt suddenly upon him, cutting off the top of the crown which the unction of sacred chrism had dedicated to God. Next he received a second blow on the head, but still he stood firm and immovable. At the third blow he fell on his knees and elbows, offering himself a living sacrifice, and saying in a low voice, 'For the name of Jesus and the protection of the Church, I am ready to embrace death.' But the third knight inflicted a terrible wound as he lay prostrate. By this stroke, the crown of his head was separated from the head in such a way that the blood white with the brain, and the brain no less red from the blood, dyed the floor of the cathedral. The same clerk who had entered with the knights placed his foot on the neck of the holy priest and precious martyr, and, horrible to relate, scattered the brains and blood about the pavements, crying to the others, 'Let us away, knights; this fellow will arise no more.
Pretty gory stuff. Chaucer's Canterbury Tales are a series of short stories framed in the background story of travelers on a pilgrimage to Canterbury Cathedral to visit Becket's shrine. This is vital and fundamental English language cultural heritage, if you NHO Chaucer and Thomas a Becket please please please at the least go read the wiki, o gosh let me make it easy for you!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Becket
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Canterbury_Tales

Great boards, sorry we didn't get to see all of them. Painful to watch Teresa(?) struggling over Titanic when the TOM clearly said 1984 (best pic: Amadeus) and Titanic was 1997.

Other fun gets: Lenore >Poe Pavlov, also 'Annabel Lee'; Marcel Marceau > Mime,"The Art of Silence" AKA Bip The Clown; Hare Krishnas >IshCon, LOL new twist on comicon; "Drury" Lane = theater district; 4 BC > Julius Caesar; Eve-Serpent->Paradise Lost >> John Milton. 2014 musical revival = Hair, the 70's are back! Nailed 5/5 on D-M with DeutchMark, DeathMask, DungeonMaster, DrumMajor, Den Mother, lol fun cat!

Shoes: NIke, Adidas, New Balance and Puma occur fairly regularly, NB seems to be a fav esp the logo; the TOM for 'Saucony' was lousy; "Sounds like a sock," come on!
Salads: Wolfgang Puck > 'chef' salad; Greek salad; Cobb salad often recurs, from the Brown Derby owner (EAT COBB: Egg, Avocado, Tomato, Chicken, Onion, Bacon, Blue cheese plus lettuce); 'hunter's green' salad also a 'colorful' kind; NHO Celadon TOM though; NHO 'wedge' salad but the TOM makes it easy, 'golf club, shoe heel' are wedges.

Did not realize Fred Astaire was in the Towering INferno, I'll probably not get that out to watch it burn again... instaget Julie Andrews for 1985 best pic SoM; Samothrace given as 'Greek' TOM also appears as NIke = Winged Victory of Samothrace. IN vino, veritas; A rose by any other name, no fool like this old fool, better quit while I'm ahead! LOL; good retroluck to the new champ!
Last edited by goatman on Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

ElendilPickle wrote:I said John Wycliffe, though he came along a little later.
At least you didn't go with Wyclef Jean, who was even later....
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

opusthepenguin wrote:
alietr wrote:I liked her. I thought she was engaging and human. Nothing wrong with that (except for not getting to all the clues).
Yay! The Flightless One returns!
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Nobody will touch your precious apples!

Post by dhkendall »

floridagator wrote:AN OPEN LETTER TO THE CONTESTANT COORDINATORS:

We rely on you to keep people like Rebecca off the show. Long-winded, scatterbrained, can't keep the categories straight. Engages in dialog with AT. These are all things that should disqualify someone from being a contestant. I find it hard to believe that at her audition you thought she might be the next Jackhammer Julia.
Dear floridagator,

Thank you for your letter. Be sure to find a lot more of these contestants when we have our next Celebrity Championship! We know that viewers like you enjoy watching celebrities play Jeopardy and engage in the same kind of activities that you have seen tonight.

Sincerely
Contestant Coordinators.
opusthepenguin wrote:
While I'm with most other boardies (e.g. floridagator) on Rebecca, I did like the Ogden Nash phrasing, I always like it when customers point out that answers don't have to be "Who/what is ... "

(And welcome back Opus! We missed ya!)

This was another FJ that not only I had it before Alex was done, I zapped through the music, 100% positive my answer was correct. (Also did quite well in the fishy science category, but then this may be because I've been a fish owner for the past 10 or so years. (You can see our fish tank in the background in the Jeopardy! Fan videos I'm in))
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Ryno
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Ryno »

Didn't watch tonight's game, because I was at Mass. However, I did see the FJ on this Board - Instaget.
One time swimmer in the Jeopardy! pool
pburns1587
Valued Contributor

Post by pburns1587 »

I did pretty well -- still miles to go on a lot of categories; but that's what I'm here for.

Swept "Fishy Science" and Carpe "D.M." - 4/5 on Sneakers. I had no chance on the FJ - the Canterbury Tales note above from Goatman will certainly help me lock that one in moving forward. I hadn't put those two things together.

On Terbecca, like most others, other than keeping us from seeing all of the clues, she was OK. Bright lights, etc. Titanic was one of the all time great incorrect answers I've seen though, due to both the category and the year of release TOM.
Consciously Incompetent
BRD-98
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by BRD-98 »

All I could come up with was Martin Luther. :roll:
cosmos

Post by cosmos »

I sure expected Nicholas to get a runaway after hitting the ground running in sneakers. :D

Actually, I liked Rebeca for pointing at the category she wanted when she couldn't say it right. I bet that doesn't happen very often.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

J! came on at the conclusion of the interviews, so about what I expected. Thank you to the archivist who had the game already done, so that I was able to get up to speed during the breaks.

I thought the Ben Affleck/Alan Arkin clue was a beautiful trap waiting for a victim. That DD for Amadeus was definitely wad + wallet.

There seemed to be an edit with Nicholas getting Caesar as if a BMS and specification were cut out.

Breaking my own rule (go for the run if you a have a good instinct after getting the first four right) cost me a run when I did not guess Chris Rock to conclude Entertainment

William Lloyd Garrison was a stumper in the 2013 Teacher's Tournament. J! likes him and will always use certains keys for him to make it easy money.

I would have thought "against Thebes" was enough hand-holding to get a response, but not tonight.

But, who I am to talk?
Bamaman wrote:
FJ was an instaget for me, thanks to the year given in the answer. I was surprised no one said Thomas Moore the way things were going.
My response: Thomas More :oops:

I saw the clue and knew it was Thomas. Tonight my brain did Thomas More even though I've answered many previous clues about Becket correctly. During think time I was trying to remember things about Aquinas to make sure it was not him and never had Becket occur to me.

I'll blame the break in normal routine tonight and will take Goatman's punishiment as well as my own refresher courses through the archive.

Can we have something American tomorrow? Perhaps that will help me. Oh, and one more thing since I'm asking. Seeing all the DDs played would be nice as well.
davey

Re: Nobody will touch your precious apples!

Post by davey »

dhkendall wrote:
opusthepenguin wrote:
While I'm with most other boardies (e.g. floridagator) on Rebecca, I did like the Ogden Nash phrasing, I always like it when customers point out that answers don't have to be "Who/what is ... "
That was good, but then she ruined the moment by telling Alex that it was a question. If you have to explain...
evanakm
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by evanakm »

countyguy wrote:Did anyone else think this clue had to do with the crusades and trying to maintain peace in the Holy Land?
Yes.
countyguy wrote:I guessed Richard the Lionheart because I was pretty sure it was about the crusades and tried to come up with someone who is famous for involvement in the crusades.
Pretty much my thought process. The date was not that far off either.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Re: Nobody will touch your precious apples!

Post by dhkendall »

davey wrote:
dhkendall wrote:
opusthepenguin wrote:
That was good, but then she ruined the moment by telling Alex that it was a question. If you have to explain...
Actually, if she hadn't, the Facebook crowd would have said she should have been penalized for improper phrasing. (Some probably still are). With that bunch you need to hit them over the head.

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

grindcore
Some Guy

Post by grindcore »

If I ever get on Jeopardy! i plan on phrasing all my answers in the form of smart-ass questions.

"How about the Ford Fiesta?"

"Scarborough Fair, whaddya say?"

"It's Kinshasa, isn't it?"
kristinsausville
2015 TOC'er

Post by kristinsausville »

So I always, always used to get Becket and More confused and say the wrong one. I finally came up with a mnemonic to remember them -- More is associated with Henry VIII and Becket with Henry II; the way to remember this is that 8 is MORE than 2. Also that Henry VIII had MORE wives. :)
Follow me on Twitter: @ksausville
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

Holocene Hero wrote:If you haven't seen Becket with Richard Burton and Peter O'Toole, yall are missing out. Absolutely fantastic movie.
I wondered if anyone else had seen this. For me it was when my high school English Lit. teacher had us read the play, then see the movie to show how it came to life from page to screen. I agree it was fantastic, and also agree with my teacher who suggested that the actors should have swapped roles. It would have made sense for the slight, lean O'Toole to be the cleric and the beefier Burton to be the king.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

kristinsausville wrote:So I always, always used to get Becket and More confused and say the wrong one. I finally came up with a mnemonic to remember them -- More is associated with Henry VIII and Becket with Henry II; the way to remember this is that 8 is MORE than 2. Also that Henry VIII had MORE wives. :)
Everything about Henry VIII is more (his number, his wives, his weight, his priest ...)

OKlibrarian
Valued Contributor

Post by OKlibrarian »

dhkendall wrote:
kristinsausville wrote:So I always, always used to get Becket and More confused and say the wrong one. I finally came up with a mnemonic to remember them -- More is associated with Henry VIII and Becket with Henry II; the way to remember this is that 8 is MORE than 2. Also that Henry VIII had MORE wives. :)
Everything about Henry VIII is more (his number, his wives, his weight, his priest ...)
Actually, Sir/Saint Thomas More was just a really pious layman who served as HVIII's Lord Chancellor, not a priest. The general mnemonic stands, though.
Coelacanth
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by Coelacanth »

Abraxas wrote:I wondered why Alex said Rebeca's name was Teresa (twice), but then he explained a little later that he had misspoken.
Had a meeting go long so I didn't get to see the game, but her last name is Avila, and St Theresa of Avila is a fairly notable name. Easy to see how that mistake was made.

Alex called me Mark once (after I'd just played against Mark Brown) but fortunately the TV audience never saw that.
Brian Weikle
Season 19
one-nil 2.0
Contributor

Post by one-nil 2.0 »

Good morning (PST)!

Was watching Jeopardy! last night and an SNL skit involving St. Teresa of Avila, Dracula and an all-growed-up Brandon Cruz broke out. Hoo-boy.

Schliebert still around? Miss him! Best wishes.