Wednesday, January 21, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Category 13
Wagering Viking

Re: Wednesday, January 21, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Category 13 »

I guess Erin wasn't counting on Daniel doubling up in FJ. No sense stopping at 16,201 if you're just going to get passed on a miss anyway.
I had a feeling Daniel would go all in, as he did in his first game.
grindcore wrote:No disrespect to Daniel, but after his somewhat invisible win yesterday I was pretty sure he was one-and-done. Didn't help him that the challengers were very much on the ball.
If he had gotten that $2000 Peace Keeper clue correct, he could have won again on another singleton FJ get. If he had clammed on it, he would have had a better chance at winning on a TS final, but I don't think he was a bet zero kind of guy.

Will won't last very long if he doesn't know enough to wager to cover 2nd place.
Last edited by Category 13 on Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
doihavetoreally
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by doihavetoreally »

Dudd wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote: Is this the first time a profanity's ever been a correct response?
I don't know, but I remember reading an article a week or two ago about racism in Gone With the Wind. With that in the back of my mind, I almost had a Randy Marsh moment on that one before realizing there was no way in hell it could ever be a Jeopardy response. Apparently that particular phrase was in the first draft of the screenplay, but cut from the production version anyways
If ever staying clam was a good advice, it was surely the right time for me. I didn't know d_word was considered a profanity.
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

cf1140 wrote:First time I got a FJ right because I studied other FJs on the J-archive.
I did that with the Secret Service clue- I remembered seeing it as a FJ.

32 right.

Line?- 3; Music- 4; Weather- 4; Dip- 1; Internet- 3; Myth- 1
King- 1; Blue- 2; Civil- 4; War- 3; Gone- 3; 1865- 3

Lach Trash: "cyberspace", "Olivia de Havilland", "bazooka"

I wasn't totally sure if the Metamorphosis was a short story, but it made the most sense and I settled on it fairly quickly.
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

Strong game with some errors for goats today with 44 correct, -2 gaffes for 42 and instaget FJ.

Lach trash: "Un Bateau' - boat (French); "When you call me that, SMILE", from The Virginian by Owen Wister; MX Missile = PeaceKEEPER not 'Peacemaker' which was the moniker for Colt's .45 Single-Action Army 'SAA' revolver, AKA; "The Gun That Won the West"; Keep a CIVIIL TONGUE in your head"; and 'Bazooka' (as kids we used to chew Bazooka Joe bubble gum).

NB: Again we see Dorothy's GINGHAM dress twice in past season; when I saw "Swift; category I precalled "Confederacy of Dunces" with TOM of John Kennedy Toole, but no dice!

Incorrect gives on Papawaddy Delta > also gave India when Myanmar was correct, who knew?! Stop guessing, fool! Felt better on get about Longfellow 'streets of rivers' for Venice.
On FPS I negbaited and gave 'Per' instead of 'Protection,' just missing the TOM altogether and perhaps 'dripping down' from PERCOLATOR, which I recalled James Nason invented.

Instagets: Thames> London, 'Drap du plage' = 'beach towel'; videophone bought out by MSFT for $8.5B in 2011 = Skype (bye-bye IPO!); "Web CACHE"; Philly Hatter = Stetson; Secret Service founded 1865 to catch counterfeiting fraud, incidentally detailed to Pres Lincoln and not in attendance on April 15, 1865 at Ford's Theater; "Field of battle, not a bed of ROSES" from RL Stevenson; more of his dour wit: 'Here lies one who meant well, tried a little, failed much,' and; 'Shelley was a young fool;... But it is better to be a fool than to be dead.' (After the boating accident, harsh!); Margaret Mitchell wrote Gone w/Wind @Atlanta; Hattie McDaniel > 1st Af-AM Oscar, best Suptg Actress 1939; Crachit > Tiny Tim; cheesecloth 'strainer'; "Matt Drudge Report" 20-year anniversary, lol is Drudge still Dredging up Muck?! "On Blueberry Hill >Fats Domino; Clam on Prince" Raspberry Beret, fail to punch button for "Lime in Coconut,' my first thought was; "Gosh, but that could be just about anything!"

Interesting about the Secret Service, much in the news lately I'm precalling we will hear a clue about the four senior staffers stepping down, perhaps their names as TOM; their attendance on Lincoln was sporadic, on the night of the 15th a city cop was posted at the theater box, but left his post unattended, just wandered off apparently, and Abe's personal bodyguard was at home;
As Lincoln left for the theater, he turned to Crook and said, "Goodbye, Crook." According to Crook, this was the first time he said that. Before, Lincoln had always said, "Good night, Crook." Crook later recalled: "It was the first time that he neglected to say ‘Good Night’ to me and it was the only time that he ever said ‘Good-bye’.
Other Services: civil service, civil engineer, civil unions pretty racy TOM with 'gay people,' I bet the twitter feeds are crackling with that one! And Civil Disobedience, a book by Henry David Thoreau that Gandhi used as basis of his non-violent resistance movement. Wild Bill Hickock was a button-busting contest based on the gimme TOM, lol. (Died holding Aces & Eights, 'Dead Man's Hand' in Deadwood, SD 2 Aug 1876, just 6 weeks after Custer's Last Stand at Little Bighorn, 25 June. His 'moll' was Calamity Jane, a camp follower in General Crook's wagon train.) In this clue, his duel with David Tutt on 21 July 1865 is referenced. Wild Bill stood trial for murder in Springfield, MO but was acquitted with verdict of having participated in "a fair fight."

Myth fun: Cerberus = 3-head dog; jackal-headed God = Anubis (son of Osiris & Isis, hence the results of sibling inbreeding); tough get on Lakshmi, Indian Goddess of love & beauty, a consort of Vishnu, AKA; 'Padma' which sounds like 'Padme' in SW1 The Phantom Menace, and means 'knowing/understanding. Lakshmi springs with other precious things from the foam of the ocean of milk when churned by the gods and demons and appeared with a lotus in her hand, whence she is also called Padmā, meaning 'lotus-dweller,' like Athena, her symbol is the owl for wisdom. Got 'corn (or should accept maize) for Centotl, Aztec '-tl' words; lol, from the wiki: Centeotl is the son of Tlazolteotl. His female partner is the maize goddess Chicomecoatl ("Seven Snake"). In Aztec mythology, maize (Cintli in Nahuatl) was brought to this world by Quetzalcoatl. "-tl >Aztec."

Gray's Anatomy (The book), Ice Age, Penicillin in milk, lol; Eli Whitney > Cotton Gin, Doppler > Blue Shift; Hans Brinker w/chapters from HCA story, tough TOM! Mustard gas is a vesicant that sounds like a condiment, it's pretty nasty stuff. Blue whales eat this crustacean, recurring: Krill; Nautilus = 1st nuclear sub, 'Rickenbacker's Navy' named for Nemo's sub, first under North Pole.
Clam on cyberspace, was thinking 'world-wide-web'? What are they getting at?! Better on Cervantes; "A knight without a lady..." and M4 "General" SHERMAN tank. Clam on Chinos work pants.

The champ looked nervous tonight and seemed pretty tightly wrapped, he seemed to have trouble on the buzzer, good get on FJ but not enough even w/doubled score, Will played well FTW. Congrats!
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

goatman wrote:MX Missile = PeaceKEEPER not 'Peacemaker' which was the moniker for Colt's .45 Single-Action Army 'SAA' revolver
IIRC "Peace Maker" was also the nickname of the Air Force B-36 bomber in the early days of the cold war, so Daniel's response wasn't as far off as one would think.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

My first thought on FJ was The Very Hungry Caterpillar. I realized there is no way it could be that. If it was, the category would have been Children's Books, or something like that.

I quickly got to the right work. Like others, I didn't think it was a short story. I read it in high school and thought it was longer than that. but nothing else seemed to fit.

I also included "The" as part of the title.
soxfan99

Post by soxfan99 »

If this final was last week, I definitely wouldn't have gotten it. However, just this past weekend, I was shown this video, and that made it an instaget.

http://youtu.be/gEwhcGj27YI?t=26s
cosmos

Post by cosmos »

If you ignore the category, most of the folks employed by the U.S. government taken collectively are contractors. :D I'd accept either civil service or civil servants the way it was worded.
J.S. Pepys
Contributor

Post by J.S. Pepys »

43 right this game. Lach trash: cyberspace, Victor Fleming, boat. FJ was an instaget, which was nice since I got multiple FJs wrong both this week and last.

All I could think of for the Melanie Hamilton clue was Joan Fontaine, but I knew that wasn't right. Somehow didn't think of her sister...

I already vaguely associated William Gibson with the term "cyberspace," but I conveniently saw this graphic just yesterday, so it was fresh on my mind: http://electricliterature.com/infograph ... rom-books/
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

Dudd wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote: Is this the first time a profanity's ever been a correct response?
I don't know, but I remember reading an article a week or two ago about racism in Gone With the Wind. With that in the back of my mind, I almost had a Randy Marsh moment on that one before realizing there was no way in hell it could ever be a Jeopardy response. Apparently that particular phrase was in the first draft of the screenplay, but cut from the production version anyways
I could think of some incorrect responses that would have been rather awkward.

I read The Metamorphosis in high school, and it's one of those things I always get when it comes up.

I did get "smile", though I'm not sure I ever heard the original--I think I've heard it used as a paraphrase such as "Smile when you say that".

Got Secret Service from previous J! references. Got cyberspace.

I accept both "civil service" and "civil servants".

I always confuse Hattie McDaniel and Butterfly McQueen.

Will reminded me very much of Tim Kang, who plays Kimball Cho on The Mentalist. Even his voice and mannerisms are similar.

It's a shame that Erin ended up in third place--she played very well.
barandall800
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by barandall800 »

Bamaman wrote:My first thought on FJ was The Very Hungry Caterpillar. I realized there is no way it could be that. If it was, the category would have been Children's Books, or something like that.

I quickly got to the right work. Like others, I didn't think it was a short story. I read it in high school and thought it was longer than that. but nothing else seemed to fit.

I also included "The" as part of the title.
That was my first thought, too, and I even had the same kind of thought: "But wait, the category's just 'Fiction'..." But no. I stuck with it and reasoned that well, it was a short story, and it was fiction, and I was coming up short everywhere else ("The Fly" crossed my mind but I wasn't sure it was anything beyond a film). I've heard of (The) Metamorphosis, but no way it was coming to me.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Depending on your rooting interests how about a two-fer with Damn Yankees?

Good job on the FJ! clue solve.

Civil servants for me and I counted it correct.

Hundreds of times I have had all the $200 clues correct in the J! round. Tonight was a rare time to have it done before the first break though with all of the categories tasted early.

Yesterday I asked for all the DDs to be played and for something American in the FJ! round. I was not able to Czech either wish again tonight.

When I saw the FJ! clue I wrote "The Metamorphosis" and I did not worry about the "The" since I knew either with or without would be fine. What I did double check was my spelling since I did not want to do a Medittereanfraklinvilnuisciptation on it.

Not the kind of detour to give me any thought of a Dawson Crossin', but I did have "The Cricket on the Hearth" enter my head during think time.
makeabeilein
Jeopardy! Champion/Second-Best Performer

Post by makeabeilein »

grindcore wrote:Instaget FJ, though I did wonder if they would have negged "The Metamorphosis"
I won't weigh in on whether this title "is supposed to" include an article, but I think I remember the answer to the question about negging: no; articles only matter when they're internal to non-article words in a title. So, To Kill Mockingbird and In the Heat of Night would be incorrect, but both Lois Lowry's Giver and The Metamorphoses by Ovid would be accepted (which last seems super-appropriate to me, since Latin doesn't really have articles so it's not like they were intentionally or meaningfully omitted).
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

Good game overall. I didn't think Dan would repeat. This was my first missed FJ in a while.
Leander

Post by Leander »

Category 13 wrote:
goatman wrote:MX Missile = PeaceKEEPER not 'Peacemaker' which was the moniker for Colt's .45 Single-Action Army 'SAA' revolver
IIRC "Peace Maker" was also the nickname of the Air Force B-36 bomber in the early days of the cold war, so Daniel's response wasn't as far off as one would think.

I also wonder if Daniel might have had buried in his memory bank a recollection of a 1997 George Clooney/Nicole Kidman action movie about stolen Russian ICBM warheads, called The Peacemaker.

At least that's my excuse for coming up with it as an answer.
UiscePreston
Valued Contributor

Post by UiscePreston »

Dudd wrote:
This was my first blush as well. The "n-word" - which DOES appear countless times in the novel - is obviously not in the final film. By contrast, the distaff "b-word" appears thrice in the novel. I doubt it appears in the movie as well.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

bpmod wrote:
opusthepenguin wrote:Need a ruling for Mrs. Penguin. The clue asked what government workers were known as "collectively." They wanted "civil service." She said "civil servants." We disagreed on whether that would be accepted. I'll tell you who went which way after you lock in your votes.
My vote is both.
So far it's unanimous, unless I missed a naysaying post. I agree. Mrs P was worried about the specification of "collectively." She felt that indicated they were looking for a collective noun, which "civil servants" isn't. I agreed that that's probably where they were steering things. But I didn't see how they could neg her response. It's one of those things where an alternate response fits the clue so they have to take it. And in this case, if Alex's notes didn't mention the alternate possibility, the writers weren't doing their jobs.
bpmod wrote:And, I will add my voice to the chorus of "Welcome back, Opus! We missed you!"

Brian
Aw, shucks. I should go away more often.
mrparadise

Post by mrparadise »

My only FJ! concern was with the spelling since Ovid's work was "Metamorphoses" and Kafka's was "(The) Metamorphosis", so the former almost certainly would have been negged. Or maybe because the pronunciation is so close either would have been acceptable?
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

opusthepenguin wrote:Need a ruling for Mrs. Penguin. The clue asked what government workers were known as "collectively." They wanted "civil service." She said "civil servants." We disagreed on whether that would be accepted. I'll tell you who went which way after you lock in your votes.

My vote: either is correct.
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

goatman wrote:Interesting about the Secret Service, ... their attendance on Lincoln was sporadic, ....
Not surprising since Congress didn't assign presidential protection duties to the Secret Service until after the McKinley assassination.
OCSam