Friday, January 30, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Friday, January 30, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6995, 2015-01-30

CONTESTANTS
Cate Hollenbeck, a trust officer from Los Angeles, California
Jim Read, a professor of English from Arroyo Grande, California
Karen Ash, a business analyst from Brooklyn, New York (whose 1-day cash winnings total $23,600)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thanks, Johnny. Hi, folks. I know many of you wonder what we talk about at the end of each program. Well, at the end of yesterday's show, I made a comment to Karen. I said, "Boy, you really came to play today." By the time we got through Double Jeopardy!, she couldn't be caught and wound up winning a lot of cash. But will that repeat today? We're gonna find out in this half-hour as we welcome our new challengers Jim and Cate. Good luck. Here we go. Here are the categories in this first round of play today...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
PABLO PICASSO SAID (3/3)
"D" BRIEFING (5/5)
HODGEPODGE (5/5)
CANNE PALME D'OR WINNERS (5/5) (Alex: Movies, of course.)
BOOKS ABOUT PRESIDENTS (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
PIZZA, BEER & BALLGAMES (5/5) (Jimmy: Three things Chicagoans enjoy from the legendary Gino's East.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Jim: 10 R, 0 W
Karen: 10 R, 1 W (including 1 DD)
Cate: 7 R, 0 W

Clues revealed: 28
Triple Stumpers: 0
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $0

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Karen found the Daily Double on the 7th clue. Karen had $1,200, Jim had $1,200, and Cate had nothing in the bank. Karen made it a True Daily Double, wagering $1,200.

BOOKS ABOUT PRESIDENTS $800: Arthur Schlesinger Jr.'s Pulitzer Prize-winning book about the JFK administration is called this many "Days"
(Karen: What is... [Whispers] Oh, God. Uh, what is 500?)

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Jim: $2,000
Cate: $1,800
Karen: $1,000

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Cate Hollenbeck is a trust officer who got married and didn't get something she really wanted at the wedding ceremony.

Cate: Yeah, a few days before the wedding ceremony, I came up with the brilliant idea that I wanted to walk down the aisle to the Law & Order: Special Victims Unit theme song.

[Laughter]

Cate: That's my favorite TV show. My bridesmaids were all for it. But it would've been vetoed by everyone else involved. So instead, we played it during the rehearsal.

Alex: Oh.

[Cate chuckles.]

Alex: Did--did you manage to just get that little musical sting?

Cate: Of course. [Laughs]

Alex: Okay. Good for you.

Alex: Jim Read from Arroyo Grande in Southern California. Celebrated his 50th birthday in an unusual way.

Jim: Got together with about 12 of my old college friends. And we ran with the bulls in Pamplona. And they surprised me afterwards and took me to a bar where Ernest Hemingway's grandson and great-grandson were hanging out after the race.

Alex: Scary stuff?

Jim: Before I ran, it was the most scary hour of my life.

Alex: Okay.

Alex: Karen Ash is our champion. She is a business analyst from Brooklyn. We had a category earlier this week about ice cream and scoops. You make your own ice cream.

Karen: I do. I'm a big fan of homemade ice cream. Just give me some eggs and milk, and I'll make you some ice cream.

Alex: Okay. What's your favorite flavor?

Karen: My favorite flavor to make is chocolate malt.

Alex: Okay. I'll take your word for it as being a really good thing.

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Cate: $5,200
Karen: $4,800
Jim: $4,600
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Friday, January 30, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
DON'T BE A DUMAS (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
TV CHARACTER NICKNAMES (5/5)
CROSSING THE EQUATOR (5/5)
1977 (4/5) (Alex: A good year.)
GUILTY (2/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
"Y.D." DO IT? (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Cate: 9 R, 1 W (including 1 DD)
Karen: 9 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W
Jim: 8 R (including 1 DD), 2 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 3
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $3,600

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Cate snagged the next Daily Double on the 17th clue. Karen had $14,800, Jim had $4,600, and Cate was at $11,200. Cate wagered $2,500.

GUILTY $2000: His 1982 "not guilty by reason of insanity" verdict led states to pass laws that allowed "guilty but mentally ill"
(Cate: I know it, but I don't. [laughs])
(Alex: Wanna take a chance and blurt out a name?)
(Cate: No.)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Jim who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 27th clue. Karen had $16,000, Jim had $8,600, and Cate was at $11,100. Jim wagered $3,000.

DON'T BE A DUMAS $2000: In 1717 it was Bastille Day for this 1-named author who'd do 11 months for satirical verses against the government

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
1977 $1200: In one of his first acts as President, Jimmy Carter pardoned this group of men

GUILTY $800: From the Latin for "fold together", it's a person equally guilty of a crime by aiding another in committing it
(Jim: What's abetting?)
(Karen: What's a conspirator?)

GUILTY $1600: In these farcical late-1930s trials in the USSR, old Bolsheviks were found guilty of treason

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Karen: $16,000
Jim: $12,800
Cate: $11,900

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
INVENTORS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Four-fifths (exactly) for first place. Stratton's Dilemma.
Karen: Wager $9,600, but no more than that: you cannot afford to lose by $1 to a likely wager of $6,400 on the part of Jim.
Jim: You ought to wager to cover Cate, but since you cannot win on a Triple Stumper if you do so, you ought to choose between wagering $0 or maximizing your winnings with a bet of all $12,800. You are in Stratton's Dilemma, calling for a wager of more than $11,000 (to shut out Cate) or less than $6,400 (risking the possibility of being passed from behind by Cate). Go with the smaller bet if you believe a Triple Stumper is more likely than a singleton miss by Karen.
Cate: Consider risking between $901 and $5,499. This will top a $0 wager by Jim while still beating Karen on the Triple Stumper (should Karen wager to cover Jim's doubled score).

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In 1702 Thomas Savery wrote of one of his designs, "Such an engine will do the work or labour of ten or twelve" these

FINAL SCORES
Cate: $11,900 - $5,501 = $6,399 (What is a steam engine?) (2nd place)
Jim: $12,800 - $12,795 = $5 (What are men?) (3rd place)
Karen: $16,000 + $10,000 = $26,000 (WHAT ARE HORSES?) (23601-day champion: $26,000)
(Alex: Whoever wins today will win a lot of money, I believe, and will get to relax for two weeks and I'll tell you about that in a moment.)
(Alex [reading Cate's response]: No, he was working on a steam engine, but you are incorrect with that response.)
(Alex [reading Karen's response]: It's the origin of the term "horsepower". He was working on a steam engine. And you're going to add how much money? [wager revealed] Hello! $10,000 today; $26,000 total, that gives you a two-day total of $49,200; and you get to relax for two weeks, because on Monday, we begin our annual Teacher's Tournament. Be sure to join us for that. Have a good safe weekend. So, long everybody!)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $3,600

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Karen: $17,200, 19 R, 2 W (including 1 DD)
Cate: $14,400, 16 R, 1 W (including 1 DD)
Jim: $11,800, 18 R (including 1 DD), 2 W
Combined Coryat: $43,400

BATTING AVERAGES
Karen: 20/59 = .339
Jim: 18/59 = .305
Cate: 16/59 = .271
Team: 54/63 = .857

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
HODGEPODGE $200: Animal Planet is on its 11th version of this annual feature with a different feel from the big football game

PIZZA, BEER & BALLGAMES $200: (Jimmy of the Clue Crew pours a cold one from the tap at Gino's East in Chicago.)
Gino's serves a brew inspired by Chicago called 312 Urban Wheat Ale, "312" representing this to Chicago residents

PIZZA, BEER & BALLGAMES $400: (Sarah of the Clue Crew gets ready to chow down on a slice at Gino's East in Chicago.)
A 2012 Bloomberg piece featured this mayor enjoying a slice of Gino's with business leaders for what the piece called a distinctly Chicago take on partisan battles & innovation in the Windy City

PIZZA, BEER & BALLGAMES $600: (Jimmy of the Clue Crew reports from Gino's East in Chicago.)
On January 26, 1986, the crowd at Gino's East went crazy as this 300 pound-plus lineman scored on a 1-yard run to put the Bears ahead of the Patriots 43-3 in Super Bowl XX
(Jim: Who is Perry?)
(Alex: Be more specific.)
(Jim: [*].)
(Alex: You got him. Yes. To differentiate him from his brother.)

"D" BRIEFING $400: A bad way to get to the hospital: DOA
(Alex: I don't know why we're all laughing about that.)

PIZZA, BEER & BALLGAMES $800: (Jimmy of the Clue Crew reports from Gino's East in Chicago.)
Every year, Gino's hosts Match Day, when students at the Feinberg School of Medicine at this nearby Big Ten university find out where their residencies will be
(Alex: Good, with less than a minute to go now.)

PIZZA, BEER & BALLGAMES $1000: (Sarah of the Clue Crew gets ready to chow down on a slice at Gino's East in Chicago.)
Nick Offerman, who plays this character on "Parks and Rec" (who knows a little something about meat), said that one slice of Gino's East stuffed sausage pizza is a bigger meal than an entire New York pie

PABLO PICASSO SAID $1000: Turning on this American patron, P.P. said she sent a picture of herself in front of a car "and you couldn't even see the car"
[ERRATUM: Alex reads "P.P." as "Pablo Picasso".]
[End-of-round signal sounds.]

CROSSING THE EQUATOR $1200: The Equator crosses Ecuador just north of this capital city
(Jim: What is...Cusco?)

CROSSING THE EQUATOR $2000: This country is a cluster of coral islands in the Indian Ocean

"Y.D." DO IT? $2000: She was the movie actress before she gained a new audience as Lily Munster on 1960's television

DON'T BE A DUMAS $1200: Completes the title of Raymond Queneau's novel about a brat who only wants to ride the subway, "Zazie dans le..."
(Jim: [*]. What is [*]?)

CORRECT RESPONSES
A Thousand
John Hinckley
Voltaire
draft dodgers
an accomplice
show trials
horses
the Puppy Bowl
the area code
Rahm Emmanuel
William "Refrigerator" Perry
dead on arrival
Northwestern
Ron Swanson
Gertrude Stein
Quito
the Maldives
Yvonne De Carlo
Métro
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

Peek at NY Times Clue of the Day (presumably FJ, though not always): INstaget! Without SPOILING tonight's game; fascinating history of Savery's engine, he patented as:
"The Proprietors of the Invention for Raising Water by Fire"; his design differed little from Hero of Alexandria's 'aeolipile.' The "Fire Engine Act" forced Newcomen to partner with him.

Newcomen's 1712 design had improved efficiency, because it used a piston with a condensing chamber (Savery's engine had no moving parts, it relied on vacuum created by condensing vapor to raise water from flooded mines). James Watt's 1765 design improved on them both and allowed 'retrofitting' of Newcomen engines with new parts of Watt's design, saving time and money.

Required reading for 'Inventors' cat: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of ... eam_engine To quote:
James Watt's improvements to the steam engine "converted it from a prime mover of marginal efficiency into the mechanical workhorse of the Industrial Revolution".
His work with steam engines led to coining of the SI term for work per unit time, defined as 'weight lifted through a height / time,' based on Savery's comment in "The Miner's Friend."
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

Inventors
In 1702 Thomas Savery wrote of one of his designs, "Such an engine will do the work or labour of ten or twelve" these.

Spoiler
What are horses? Cate said a steam engine; Jim said men.

Karen Ash: $16,000+$10,000=$26,000...now a 2-day champion with $49,600
Jim Read: $12,800-$12,795=$5
Cate Hollenbeck: $11,900-$5,501=$6,399
Last edited by jeff6286 on Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
forzagiersy
Contributor

Post by forzagiersy »

Very good game from all, and as such there was very little Lach Trash, of which I got accomplice, and...that's it.

Hit the two Daily Doubles they missed (it helps to have a mother that's a big Kennedy-family buff, and John Hinckley was an instaget), and FJ! caused me to vacillate for a bit between horses and oxen until I remembered "horsepower".
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

1) Cate clearly said "diptherius" -- it's diptheria.
2) A BMS on Perry? Michael Dean was still in college at the time, so it clearly couldn't have been him.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

If there are zero TSes in a round, and that round still leaves two clues on the board, then clearly something needs to change in the timing.

Everything but DTP and Yvonne DeCarlo in the two wordplay categories.

Oddly got only the top and bottom in TV Nicknames.

My only 0/5 was Guilty. I think the TS on "Accomplice" was because "with" had us all stuck on "con-" words. "Draft dodgers" I can also understand TS'ing because I took "Group" to mean a specific group with a proper name, not a generic group like "draft dodgers".

Engine does the work of 10 or 12? Well, engines are measured in horsepower, let's go with horses. Surprised this was 1/3 on this sharp team.
Abraxas

Post by Abraxas »

Everyone played very well up until FJ, but Karen was the only one to get FJ. She looks like she could be playing at least a few more games. I had 37 correct responses including two triple stumpers: draft dodgers and accomplice. I also got "1000 Days" which was a missed DD. Instaget FJ.
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

41 right.

Picasso (2), "D" (3), Hodge (3), Palme (4), Presidents (4), Pizza (5)
Dumas (3), TV (4), Equator (3), 1977 (3), Guilty (3), YD (4)

Lach Trash: "Thousand"- DD, "John Hinckley"- DD.

I only thought of slaves and seamstresses.

There was a sister that was also a teacher at my Chicago audition. I wonder if she'll be in this upcoming tournament.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Tonight's the first I heard of the Teachers Tournament. Was there any earlier announcement?
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Robert K S wrote:Tonight's the first I heard of the Teachers Tournament. Was there any earlier announcement?
Not that I know of. I get the impression the test will be equally sprung on us just before.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Plactus

Post by Plactus »

Robert K S wrote:Tonight's the first I heard of the Teachers Tournament. Was there any earlier announcement?
I've known about it for a while now because my TiVo listings have noted that the tournament starts on Monday; an announcement apparently hit Tumblr earlier this week (with contestant names) and Twitter earlier today.
Oh, what has science wrought? I sought only to turn a man into a metal-encased juggernaut of destruction powered by the unknown properties of a mysterious living crystal. How could this have all gone wrong?
Winchell Factor
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Winchell Factor »

I've been seeing it on the calendar for recaps at The Final Wager for several weeks, but I haven't heard the show promoting it much.
pinkfreud
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by pinkfreud »

econgator wrote:1) Cate clearly said "diptherius" -- it's diptheria.
2) A BMS on Perry? Michael Dean was still in college at the time, so it clearly couldn't have been him.
To be nitpicky on one of my pet-peeve words, it is "diphtheria."
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

38R 0W instaget FJ see above thread, so exciting a perfecta week!

LT: JFK 1000 Days (Do not confuse with Napoleon's 100 Days!) "Draft Dodgers" (I remember when he did that my folks were so pissed!); John Hinckley (1982 > Crazy Killer...); Accomplice (EZ TS!); Clam on "Show Trial."

J! Fun: Abigail > John Adams (only other Abigail First Lady = Mrs Fillmore); f/u with 1798 "Alien & Sedition Acts"; McKinley > TR; 'cold soup' > gazpacho; Vassar > 7 sisters colleges; Rahm Emanuel Chicago mayor, repeat ask; pulp fiction / sex, lies & videotape, DOB - DC - DOA - DTP (DEF heard Diptherius misspoken, waited all night to hear the rule-out, still waiting! Come on TPTB! Play by the rules if you gonna have rules!) No get on DGA > Director's Guild of America.

Michaelangelo said, "Carving is easy, you just picture you figure in the stone and cut out all around that is not it." >> MARBLE blocks. Lovely get. Gertrude Stein was Picasso's subject in Paris: when someone commented that Stein didn't look like her portrait, Picasso replied, "She will". LOL I didn't realize she was such a big girl! Other frequent TOM: Alice B. Toklas, her girlfriend.

DJ: 1977: "Roots"; Precalled "Star Wars" premiered that year, no dice! Deng Xiaoping > Gang of Four, LOL "Quartet" in the TOM :o Only got "Hawkeye" for Ben Franklin Piece, "Bones" for 'forensic' and "Coach" for Cheers. Amazonas > Brazil; Instagets in geography on Sumatra > Indonesia; Ecuador > Quito; Entebbe > Uganda; Maldives on Indian Ocean map.
NHO Pompadou Centre, Paris learned one!

"Fold into" = 'accomplice' makes sense, when you play naughty with the fellows you get 'wrapped up' in their schemes, eh?! Nailed YD with Yankee Doodle / Yellow Dwarf (Sun) / "your Ducks" Young Democrats, instant recogniztion of Lily Munster but OMGOSH! FAILBOAT NONGET! on Yvonne De Carlo!! She also played Sephora, Moses' wife in Ten Commandments, and her debut was Salome; expect to see her again soon!

Again the usual suspects; "A la Recherché du Temps Perdu" > Proust; Victor Hugo's personal tragedy loss of his daughter; Voltaire (Arouet) spent 11 months in the Bastille for behaving badly; "Le Metro" get from TOM; 1957 Camus, an "African-born" author from Algeria received Nobel in Lit: wrote L'Etranger; "Maman died today" and The Plague, Myth of Sisyphus. Existentialist. Do not confuse with Sartre (Huis Clos = No Exit) and Kierkegaard. Camus credited with "paradox of the absurd."

Dem fine game well played and quite pleased to see out champ hold her own and come through with flying colors! What a lovely smile she has, such a musical laugh! Go Karen!!!
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

Re: Alex's commending the players at the beginning of DJ; Was it really all that much better than yesterday's J round, which they garnered a perfect $9000 at the break and cleared the board?

I felt the gentleman should have wagered either 6400 or 11001 on FJ. And I don't know what Cate's strategy with 5501 was. I thought 5499 was a better number for covering a triple stumper, provided the gentleman wagers 6400.

Another uber easy instaget FJ for me. Also got the two missed DDs.

I just love Karen's unassuming smile. She could make ice cream for me any day.
doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally »

It's been on jeopardy website for couple of days.
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!
NoName84

Post by NoName84 »

FJ! seemed awkwardly worded, but I gave the correct response nonetheless.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I hestitated just enough between Eisenhower and Grant not to go for it. It was looking like a potential perfecto lost as I had everything right until the (don't watch the show - though knew Ron) Ron Swanson clue. Stein was a stumper as well, so glad I did not miss it by one. Plus the round was not completed anyway.

A nod to the writers once again for getting me with Turtle/Entourage. I could have matched the nickname to the show, but that's it. I am impressed by Karen's depth in such categories.

Cate: If you are reading this, were you on track for the shooter of Reagan, but did not know/could not recall his name? Or were you thinking Chapman/Lennon or someone else?

I was doubly correct on the FJ! clue by knowing it was horses and predicting a guess of steam engine. When Alex was going to Karen for her response my thought was, "Oh come on, this can't really go 0/3 can it?" No and good. That was a nice end to the week and will make the return of regular play have something extra to it with a champ going for a third win on Presidents Day.
cosmos

Post by cosmos »

A champion from Brooklyn and they give her Chicago pizza. How rude! :D

Good news: Karen wins. Bad news: Two weeks?!?