Tuesday, February 17, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, February 17, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7007, 2015-02-17

CONTESTANTS
Eamon Doyle, a housekeeper and freelance copy editor from Berkeley, California
Stephanie Engel, a children's book managing editor from Douglasville, Pennsylvania
Andy Axel, a graduate student in poetry from Iowa City, Iowa (whose 1-day cash winnings total $1,599)

OPENING REMARKS
Thank you Johnny. I could tell, even in your voice --$1,599. When you compare that to what our champions have been winning in recent --recent weeks on our program, it's kind of depressing. But Andy wasn't too excited about it yesterday, but he gets to play again today. So he could earn a lot more, if he can defeat Stephanie and Eamon. Let's find out how it goes. Here we go into the Jeopardy! round, and here are the categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
THE MARIAN KIND (3/5) (Alex: Interesting spelling there.)
NFL TEAM MASCOTS (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
A HAMBURGER WITH ALL THE FIXINGS (5/5)
COLD WORLD OUT THERE (4/5)
IT FOLLOWED ME HOME (4/5)
CAN I "KEEP" IT? (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Eamon: 10 R, 0 W
Stephanie: 8 R (including 1 DD), 0 W
Andy: 7 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 5
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $3,800

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Stephanie found the Daily Double on the 9th clue. Andy had $1,200, Stephanie had $600, and Eamon was at $2,400. Stephanie wagered $1,000.

NFL TEAM MASCOTS $800: Sir Purr, who vacations at Kitty Hawk

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Stephanie: $2,800
Eamon: $2,400
Andy: $800

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: The first player we introduced on the program today, Eamon Doyle, is a two-time Scripps National Spelling Bee finalist, who won a special prize for correctly spelling a word that I can't even try to pronounce.

That's "floccinaucinihilipilification".

Alex:
29 letters in that?

Eamon: That's correct.

Alex:
You're the only one who was able to do that.
What does it mean?

Eamon: It's a nonce word coined by some very smart-alecky British schoolboys.
It's means basically the condition of nothingness.

[Laughter]

Alex:
Right.
Yeah.
Why didn't they just say it's nothingness?

Eamon: I said "smart-alecky".

Alex:
Oh, okay.
Thank you.

Alex:
Stephanie Engel from Douglassville, Pennsylvania.

Stephanie:
Yes.

Alex:
One of your hobbies--mmm--makes my mouth water.

Stephanie:
Yes, maple-sugaring.
Every spring, a bunch of neighbors on the street get together.
We tap over 100 sugar maples on our street, and then we boil it all down into maple syrup.
One of the neighbors has a sugar shack on his property, so we all sit around drinking beer and cooking hot dogs on the fire as it boils down.

Alex:
And how much from these 100 or so trees--how much maple syrup can you get and then share among all the neighbors?

Stephanie:
It varies a lot based on the weather that year, so...

Alex:
Sounds like fun.

Alex:
Andy Axel is a graduate student in poetry who says that Jeopardy! saved him and his house from a fire.
How did that happen?

Andy:
Well, I had a friend who had a TV who I'd go over and watch Jeopardy! with every day, and when a place opened up in his apartment, I figured,
"What the heck?
This way it will be easier to watch Jeopardy!"
And I moved in with him, and then less than a week later, my old apartment burned down.

Alex:
So, Jeopardy! did save you.

Andy:
Yeah.

Alex:
All right.
I'm so proud of this show.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
THE MARIAN KIND $600: In this classic video game named for 2 mythic serpents, Marian has been kidnapped by street thugs
(Andy: What is Twin Dragons?)

THE MARIAN KIND $1000: In 1973 lawyer & civil rights activist Marian Edelman created the CDF, short for this

NFL TEAM MASCOTS $1000: Captain Fear

IT FOLLOWED ME HOME $200: The fennec type of this canine

COLD WORLD OUT THERE $1000: Located in Lewis and Clark County, Rogers Pass in this large western state chilled out at -70 on Jan. 20, 1954

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Stephanie: $5,800
Eamon: $5,400
Andy: $2,600
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Tuesday, February 17, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
ANGELS (3/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
HIGHWAYS & BYWAYS (5/5)
SINGERS ON POSTAGE STAMPS (4/5)
WHEN I'M KING... (3/5)
BOOK BUILDING (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
TYPE "B", NEGATIVE (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Eamon: 12 R, 2 W (including 1 DD)
Stephanie: 10 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 0 W
Andy: 2 R, 0 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 5
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $7,600

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Stephanie snagged the next Daily Double on the 4th clue. Andy had $2,600, Stephanie had $6,600, and Eamon was at $6,200. Stephanie wagered $4,000.

BOOK BUILDING $800: Little Nell & her grandfather desperately try to hold on to this Dickens title building

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Eamon who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 22nd clue. Andy had $3,400, Stephanie had $18,600, and Eamon was at $13,800. Eamon wagered $5,000.

ANGELS $800: In the Bible Gabriel & Michael are 2 of these 7 special beings used by God to send messages & fight battles
(Eamon: What are seraphim?)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
BOOK BUILDING $1600: This debut novel from Dan Brown featured brilliant & beautiful mathematician Susan Fletcher

SINGERS ON POSTAGE STAMPS $1600: Tragically shot dead at 23, she was among those honored in the Latin Music Legends series in 2011
(Alex: Sele--Stephanie.)
(Stephanie: Who is [*]?)
[Though Stephanie was originally credited with a correct response, the clue was later thrown out because Alex said part of the answer when saying Stephanie's name]

WHEN I'M KING... $800: Israel, from around 1000 to 960 B.C.

WHEN I'M KING... $1600: Spain, 1556-1598
(Alex: And the Armada -- [*].)

ANGELS $2000: An angel told Philip the Evangelist to take the road to this city located on a strip

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Stephanie: $22,200
Eamon: $11,600
Andy: $4,600

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
CALIFORNIA CITIES

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Crush for first place.
Stephanie: Wager $1,001 to cover Eamon, but no more than $12,999 so as not to fall behind Andy's doubled score.
Eamon: You have the hope of surpassing Stephanie if you come up with the correct response. Bet at least $10,601 to force Stephanie to wager to win; but if you're intent on holding on to second place, wager no more than $2,399 to protect your second place position from being usurped by Andy.
Andy: Unfortunately, your score is less than the difference between the scores of the first and second place players, so unless they both blunder, you're competing for second place and have no hopes of first. Wager as much as you desire, but remember, you'll have better chances of advancing to second place if you have a larger sum left over on a Triple Stumper.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
A park, elementary school & medical pavilion named for Herbert Hoover are found in this 2-word California city

FINAL SCORES
Andy: $4,600 - $0 = $4,600 (What is ?) (2nd place)
Eamon: $11,600 - $10,600 = $1,000 (What is Yorba Linda?) (3rd place)
Stephanie: $22,200 - $1,001 = $21,199 (What is San Diego?) (New champion: $21,199)
(Alex: Herbert Hoover graduated from Stanford, so the correct response was [*].)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $11,400

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Stephanie: $18,800, 18 R (including 2 DDs), 0 W
Eamon: $16,600, 22 R, 2 W (including 1 DD)
Andy: $4,600, 9 R, 1 W
Combined Coryat: $40,000

BATTING AVERAGES
Eamon: 22/59 = .373
Stephanie: 18/60 = .300
Andy: 9/58 = .155
Team: 49/63 = .778

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
THE MARIAN KIND $800: This contralto, seen here, is preparing for her historic 1955 debut at the Met

IT FOLLOWED ME HOME $400: The long-tongued tamandua
, one of these insectivores

IT FOLLOWED ME HOME $600: A mouse lemur, the world's smallest primate, indigenous only to this country

IT FOLLOWED ME HOME $800: Hamlyn's monkey, also known as this avian-faced monkey

IT FOLLOWED ME HOME $1000: Not al-kaline, but this high altitude domesticated grazer

A HAMBURGER WITH ALL THE FIXINGS $400: Get your burn on with slices of this pepper

A HAMBURGER WITH ALL THE FIXINGS $800: I'm about to slice up the tomatoes -- this kind that sounds like old hand-me-downs

TYPE "B", NEGATIVE $1600: 9-letter "avian" noun meaning a person who lacks intelligence
(Alex: Why are you smiling and looking at me when you say that? I resent that!)
[Laughter]

SINGERS ON POSTAGE STAMPS $800: In 2014, two rock icons who died less than a month apart in 1970 appeared on new Forever stamps -- Hendrix and her

WHEN I'M KING... $2000: Bavaria, 1864-1886
(Alex: Mad King [*], yes.)

ANGELS $1200: (Kelly of the Clue Crew shows a painting on the monitor.) The cherubim here, which are famous in their own right, come from a larger painting called "Sistine Madonna" by this artist
(Eamon: Who is Michelangelo?

HIGHWAYS & BYWAYS $1200: Seen here is a marker on the highway between Dallas and Fort Worth, named for this longtime Cowboys coach

CORRECT RESPONSES
the Carolina Panthers
Double Dragon
the Children's Defense Fund
the Tampa Bay Buccaneers
a fox
Montana
The Olde Curiosity Shop
archangels
Digital Fortress
Selena
David
Philip II
Gaza
Palo Alto
Marian Anderson
an anteater
Madagascar
an owl-face monkey
an alpaca
jalapeño
heirloom
a birdbrain
Janis Joplin
Ludwig
Raphael
Tom Landry
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

I'm hoping there'll be a LET IT SNOW category today. You know, in honor of Mardi Gras.
grindcore
Some Guy

Post by grindcore »

Alex cost Stephanie the runaway. If she had lost, I would not have slept tonight.
In today's edition of "Overthinking The Unoverthinkable", I said the Cleveland Browns for Gumbo the dog because I just thought "oh yeah they totally are named for a dog, or something!".
Hamburger was easy, so was Cold World although I said Nunavut instead of Yukon.
Fennec foxes = adorable. Also, I think people should know they are desert foxes.
Keep was also easy. Basically, an easy first round.
When I'm king would have been easy if the clues were a bit longer, but as it was, those were all clues that I could have benefited from a few extra seconds with.
Type B: easy.
Pretty easy boards, shame I'm not that good.
I didn't know where Hoover went to college, so I said San Jose just because, but in hindsight it seems pretty obvious, even if you have no idea.
I'm gonna go ahead and assume Andy will not be joining us for the ToC.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

grindcore wrote:Alex cost Stephanie the runaway. If she had lost, I would not have slept tonight.
mbclev, is that you?
grindcore wrote:In today's edition of "Overthinking The Unoverthinkable", I said the Cleveland Browns for Gumbo the dog because I just thought "oh yeah they totally are named for a dog, or something!".
No, they *are* dogs (performance wise)
grindcore wrote:I said Nunavut instead of Yukon.
I knew that Snag was in the Yukon (basic Canadian weather trivia there), but other than that it seemed there was no real way to narrow it down to one of the three (or, rather, two, as Nunavut wasn't around back then). Very much a YEKIOYD clue.
grindcore wrote:Fennec foxes = adorable. Also, I think people should know they are desert foxes.
I know fennec foxes because one of the characters in the webcomic Kevin and Kell is a fennec fox.
grindcore wrote:I didn't know where Hoover went to college, so I said San Jose just because, but in hindsight it seems pretty obvious, even if you have no idea.
I recently played a Sporcle quiz that had you name the most populous cities in California that only have one word in their name. Until I started that quiz, I never realized how many California cities had two word names, making this a bit of a panic for me. Closest I got was "whatever city Stanford is in" even though I had no clue of Hoover's educational background. (Plus, I always though Stanford was in Northern California. Like way northern. Like noticeably north of San Francisco northern. Like redwood country northern.)
grindcore wrote:I'm gonna go ahead and assume Andy will not be joining us for the ToC.
Even if he beat Roger's record in his first game, I don't think one and dones are ever invited to the ToC, I don't think there's ever been anyone who has won less than 3 games there (and if there are any three game winners that have been to the ToC, you could count them on one hand and have fingers left over I'm guessing.))
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Abraxas
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Abraxas »

Stephanie played very well. I had 35 correct responses including three triple stumpers: Children's Defense Fund, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, and Gaza. I also got the missed DD of archangels. I got FJ.
Leander

Post by Leander »

I knew about the Hoover Institue at Stanford and had a vague idea there were broader connections between Hoover and the school, so this FJ was pretty much an instaget.

I thought the way they handled the Selena question was unfair.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

California Cities
A park, elementary school & medical pavilion named for Herbert Hoover are found in this 2-word California city.

Spoiler
What is Palo Alto? Andy had no guess; Eamon said Yorba Linda; Stephanie said San Diego.

Stephanie Engel: $22,200-$1,001=$21,199
Eamon Doyle: $11,600-$10,600=$1,000
Andy Axel: $4,600-$0=$4,600
Last edited by jeff6286 on Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
TomKBaltimoreBoy
Lucky to be Here

Post by TomKBaltimoreBoy »

I said the Raiders for Captain Fear because I was absolutely the Buccaneer mascot was still called Bruce, as the old "winking pirate" was.

Was a little surprised at the valuations... Big Red was by far the easiest, and Gumbo was a bit of a negbait. Actually pre-called Edgar the Raven for the $200 clue (they used to have ones named Allen and Poe as well, but I guess Ozzie needed the money for Flacco's contract). Surprised it wasn't used.
Life IS pain, Princess. Anyone telling you differently is selling something.
goforthetie
(username no longer operative)

Post by goforthetie »

dhkendall wrote: (Plus, I always though Stanford was in Northern California. Like way northern. Like noticeably north of San Francisco northern. Like redwood country northern.)
There are redwoods in the hills above Palo Alto, so at least you got that part right. :)
cosmos

Post by cosmos »

Was the complete team name, including city or state, required for the mascot category? I knew Cardinals but got lost on the way from St. Louis to Phoenix to Arizona. Would they BMS Cardinals?

Did I hear them say baloney is a lunch meat?
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

TomKBaltimoreBoy wrote:
Was a little surprised at the valuations... Big Red was by far the easiest, and Gumbo was a bit of a negbait. Actually pre-called Edgar the Raven for the $200 clue (they used to have ones named Allen and Poe as well, but I guess Ozzie needed the money for Flacco's contract). Surprised it wasn't used.
What was Gumbo negbait for? I associate gumbo with Louisiana and it was an instaget for me.

Instaget for me on FJ, not sure why I know where Hoover went to school, but it worked for me.

I think she'd have had cause to be brought back if Eamon had gotten FJ and won the game.
BADuBois
Jeopardy! Champion... It's a Mystery!

Post by BADuBois »

Leander wrote:I knew about the Hoover Institue at Stanford and had a vague idea there were broader connections between Hoover and the school, so this FJ was pretty much an instaget.

I thought the way they handled the Selena question was unfair.

Agreed and agreed. Palo Alto was not an Instaget, but pretty close.

I can't remember the last time --- if there was ever a time --- when Alex had screwed up a clue such that it was taken away from a contestant. I'm glad it didn't make a difference in the end.
Award-winning author of "My Short, Happy Life in 'Jeopardy!'"
http://tinyurl.com/btax4xp
silverscreentest
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by silverscreentest »

TomKBaltimoreBoy wrote:I said the Raiders for Captain Fear because I was absolutely the Buccaneer mascot was still called Bruce, as the old "winking pirate" was.
By mascot, they mean a big suit somebody runs around in. Bruce was the printed logo's unofficial name, but he hasn't been on the regular helmet since 1996. Nobody in a costume was ever called Bruce.

TS on FJ only proves contestants skew liberal. :)
Silver Screen Test, my movie trivia game show. Watch some of the episodes On-Demand.
WilliamPorygon
Contributor

Post by WilliamPorygon »

Given how anal the judges are, I knew they were going to reverse that Selena response as soon as it happened. (Which I don't really disagree with, because you can't know for sure she already knew it and the mistake could have disadvantaged the other players.) Don't they write an alternate clue for each category in case a clue has to be thrown out? How come they didn't use that and edit the clue out? I'm glad Stephanie still won, because it would've been really ugly otherwise.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

cosmos wrote:Was the complete team name, including city or state, required for the mascot category? I knew Cardinals but got lost on the way from St. Louis to Phoenix to Arizona. Would they BMS Cardinals?
Same thing happened to me, but since they asked for a football team, and there's only one of those called Cardinals, we're safe. After all they don't BMS "Jackson" if they want a president since there was only one, even if you're thinking of Reggie, Peter, or LaToya.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Lach Trash: Double Dragon, fennec fox, archangel, David

Fennec fox was my SAotD.

3/5 in Animals. 400 didn't look anteater-y enough to pull the trigger, and I never would've gotten owl monkey if you'd given me a year.

What led to Romaine over iceberg on Hamburger for 200? Iceberg seemed more obvious as "type of lettuce".

Curse of the 4/5 strikes again as I missed only the first clues in both Hamburger and "Keep", as well as Raphael in Angels, balk in Type "B", and whatever $2000 was in Singers.

I got aioli entirely from a previous debate on whether or not it was undervalued at $200.

However, I thought that Music Man clue at $200 was way undervalued.

I had no guess on FJ! Tons of California cities have two names, and unless you know the hyper-obscure detail of what college a lesser president graduated from, there is no way in hell you're getting this. Unless you're my mom and you pull Palo Alto entirely out of thin air. Exactly how was this gettable by any other means?
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

Nice to see three decent wagers after last night's debacle.

As to the money retraction from Stephanie, what else are you gonna do? I've seen Alex blurt out the answer before, and he called himself before anyone rang in. No one had any beef with that. In this case, Alex just screwed up and started to say Selena instead of the name of the contestant who rang in.

Montana was pretty easy Lach Trash.
Last edited by Category 13 on Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rmfromfla

Post by rmfromfla »

Yep, the full name of that mascot was Bucco Bruce, from the glory days of the 1976 (when "the old ball coach" aka Steve Spurrier ended his playing days looking down a lot at the Tampa Stadium grass) & 1977 seasons. Still have the bright orange windbreaker from the Sears Wish Book. :o
silverscreentest
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by silverscreentest »

TenPoundHammer wrote:I had no guess on FJ! Tons of California cities have two names, and unless you know the hyper-obscure detail of what college a lesser president graduated from, there is no way in hell you're getting this. Unless you're my mom and you pull Palo Alto entirely out of thin air. Exactly how was this gettable by any other means?
You have to pay attention to news programs. Many conservative talking heads are fellows from the Hoover Institution at Stanford University. Then you have to know Stanford is in Palo Alto.
Silver Screen Test, my movie trivia game show. Watch some of the episodes On-Demand.